July 26th, 2013

'Sharknado' set to storm theaters in August

In early August, "Sharknado" clouds are going to gather once again.

But instead of witnessing the devastation on TV, fans can catch the so-bad-it's-good epic at the movies. (Yes, that's right: You'll get to see Ian Ziering chainsaw his way out of a flying shark on the big screen.)

Regal Entertainment Group plans to host midnight screenings of "Sharknado" at roughly 200 theaters across the country just after 12 a.m. on August 2.

The purposely cheesy Syfy flick starred Ziering and Tara Reid as two Californians trying to survive a sudden tornado of sharks hits land. Its July 11 premiere didn't have that many viewers - about 1.4 million tuned in - but it did have massive buzz on social media, with more than a few celebrities chiming in on Twitter.

And thanks to the evident fandom for "Sharknado," there's now also a sequel on the way, this time set in New York.

It looks like Regal Entertainment is banking that those clamoring for more #Sharknado are going to dish out $12.50 for access to their one-night-only event.

“If the Internet reactions to this film are any indication, then our moviegoers are primed and ready to enjoy ‘Sharknado’ larger than life in cinemas," Regal Entertainment Group’s director of digital marketing Chris Sylvia said in a statement.

To see if "Sharknado" will touch down near you, check out this list of participating theaters.

Filed under: movies • television

1. gahh

Snarknado was supposed to be sharks, that were caught up in a tornado, over the Pacific Ocean. But these sharks were so big, they were swallowing people whole. Can't wait to see how much bigger, New York sharks are.

August 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BackUp

these guys remind me of the dudes at the shore...the surfboards the sun glasses...hysterical

July 29, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hk

yay

July 29, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sharktato: The Man Eating Spud

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the supermarket.

July 29, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. vbvbbvcvb

wow… My friend Maggie has just married to a handsome wealthy man. They met through ~ SèèkingRich.Çoм~~ They told me it is a Specialist millionaire dating for rich single s seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet(lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try. ddgvfsdg

July 29, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. T. T. Twister

When are they going to air the "Purple Nurple" movie?

July 29, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Meh

Im now completely embarassed to be American

July 29, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bender the Offender

I like a crappy movie as much as the next person but I wont ever pay to go see a crappy movie. I can DVR it and watch it when I want to.

July 29, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Boo

Bad movies can be fun to watch. Sometimes I love watching a bad movie....."Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" is a GOOD BAD MOVIE

July 29, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CAS

It said purposely cheesy, and that it was. My husband and I had to watch it to see what everyone was talking about, and it was bad, but so badly good!

July 29, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Str8Shooter

I had to watch this just cuz everyone was raving about how it was 'so bad it was good'. It was not. It was the absolute worst POS I have ever seen! The 'acting' was so atrocious, wasn't that Ziering guy on 90210 for like 12 years?? How could he not know how to deliver one single line believably? And as for the 'sharknado' part...that was so freakin' lame.

Sorry. Not even remotely funny. Just AWFUL.

July 29, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SmarterthanU

1st – CNN Blog Moderator, control the spam. This 'dating' blogger is way ahead of you. You take our post down for random reasons, but allow this??

2nd – Movie execs still haven't grasped what a 'social trend' is. Up in a minute and down within 24 hours. No one is going to pay for this in movie theaters. Can the people who convinced you to do this. Terrible. Then again, you are the ones who probably think Kris and the Kardashians are still in vogue *vomit*

July 29, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. T

It should be called "Shark-nami: Invasion of NYC !"
    Sharknado was so weird, funny and so goofy ! More of the same !

Or Shark-quake ! Earthquake + Sharks = Shark-quake ! There's your third sequel !

July 29, 2013 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Alvarez

I would gladly pick the corn out of Tara Reid's poops and stuff them in my mouth.

July 28, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tracie

I SHOVED A TOY SHARK FIGURINE UP MY BUTT ONE TIME AND HAD TO CALL 911!

July 28, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cnnsux

Who is Zeiring? Can't CNN find reporters to proofread stories and give us the actual full name of the actor? No wonder they are at the bottom of the ratings.

July 28, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Alvarez

This movie was a large steaming pile of poop. Now I want to eat it.

July 28, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Gahhhhhh

Worst.movie.ever.

July 28, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  19. ※Sadie※

The ran the movie again last night, so I watched it, sort of. I got to say, this was one of the worst acting, worst story lines, worst everything that I have seen in a movie in a long time. Now, they are going to make a sequel? That is just crazy. They got their 15 minutes of media coverage for the first one, but another one? Isn't that like trying to milk a dead cow? I got to say, I did laugh many times through the movie. Tara Reid trying to run in high heals carrying that chainsaw was hilarious just in itself. This movie sure had the hype running in their favor, that's for sure.

July 28, 2013 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  20. TLORop

I thought we were smarter than this.

July 27, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Alvarez

I'm working on Poopnado right now.

July 27, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Skipper Sam

Orcanami for west coast is next

Then in Florida Gatorcane !

July 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Angel

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rich

Out-of-touch companies have been trying to pander to these mythical 'internet dollars' for ages. Have they already forgotten the lesson of Snakes on a Plane??

July 27, 2013 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  25. outawork

another sign of the coming apocalypse

July 27, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  26. The future is hopeless

I actually enjoy the syfy movies. Prefer when they were on Sat. nights though. This is nothing but a case of a marketing team targeting how pathetic the internet has become. This movie was just bad, not campy bad. The next time I hear the words viral and meme I'm going to hit someone.

July 27, 2013 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jo

Sharks in NYC? Oy to the vey!

July 27, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  28. mariosphere

A tornado of sharks. Hey, that's creative. You want something more horrifying? A tornado of cheesy car insurance commercials, starring Flo.

July 27, 2013 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • ManNamedMason

that was hilarious, i spilled coffee my pants because of that, which is not hilarious.

July 27, 2013 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  29. Justin

Uh oh... now they will make "Cobraquake" and "Killer Beezzard", shortly after that the versus movies willl start... "Sharknado VS Pirranhaphoon"

July 27, 2013 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • ※Sadie※

Yeah, no kidding. I was going to watch the second run of the movie, just to see what all the hype was about. I forgot to record it. I flipped into it just when the shark came down on Ziering holding the chainsaw. I thought to myself, this must be a comedy, because I laughed my butt off on that one. Who thinks of this stuff?

July 27, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  30. Rustyy

Does Tara Reid die that would be nice

July 27, 2013 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  31. Vinny

It is like a train wreck. It is so bad that you can't turn your head away. It is kinda funny-bad. I think I will watch it like a comedy.

July 27, 2013 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. The Room

OH HAI MARK

July 27, 2013 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  33. mandy

hORRIBLE FILM WITH LOSUY ACTORS

July 27, 2013 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  34. SB

But it wasn't "so bad it's good". It was just plain bad. I fully expected all the parts involving sharks and tornadoes to be terrible but I was hoping the rest would have endearing traits to make up for it. Sort of like how Flash Gordon is the greatest movie ever made, despite the fact that it's technically "bad". But that didn't happen with Sharknado. It was just bad between two slices of bad, grilled in a light sauce of bad and worse.

July 27, 2013 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  35. TheIntegral

I watched the second broadcast on TV and it wasn't all that bad. The plot was so outrageous that it made perfect sense.

July 27, 2013 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  36. nate

Ok now they're just jumping the shark.

Pun absolutely intended.

July 27, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  37. ETM must be silenced

Say what you will. This movie's catapult to the box office is a direct result of the Howard Stern Show.

July 26, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

"Say what you will..... " but it's a success...? How about this: "You Will Never Go Broke Underestimating the Intelligence of the American Public” – PT Barnum

July 27, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Dude! Howard Stern Show? REALLY????

Since Stern jumped to satellite....he has DISAPPEARED from the culture.

You have GOT to be delusional to think that he has ANY influence any longer.

July 29, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeke

Yer one-a them hermasechsurals, aren'tcha, Pliny? I kin tell by yer writin'.

July 29, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. R - Kalamatee Jane

i would see this it looks funny

July 26, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. W

Her film is exactly what we expected.

July 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bruce

still want the musician don't care if he can't act.

July 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  41. james

Say what you will, it was good.Better than most big budget disaster films.

July 26, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ok...

that was a good one

July 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kani Bangor

Nice name.

July 26, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  44. irnstead

Welp than I guess it was nice knowing you^^ This movie is a must for people to see especially people that love Sci-Fi Movies.

July 27, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  45. hkvmktyityidfh

… Unbelievable…… My friend Maggie has just married to a handsome wealthy black man. They met through ~ ~ BlàckWhīteHub.Ç o м~~ They told me it is a Specialist black white dating for black & white singles seeking interracial relationships, dating ,love. Here you will find interracial singles from Brooklyn, New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles and all the way to Toronto Canada, London England and Sydney Australia ,France, Germany , african american who have joined our love boat. All the best! If you are single, have a try.vcxb

July 29, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |