Spike Lee gets handsome support from famous director
July 24th, 2013

Spike Lee gets handsome support from famous director

The "newest, hottest Spike Lee joint" has landed a generous A-list investor.

After filmmaking legend Spike Lee turned to Kickstarter to drum up $1.25 million for a new movie, fellow director Steven Soderbergh has opened up his wallet.

According to Entertainment Weekly, the "Magic Mike" and "Behind the Candelabra" helmer handed over $10,000 to Lee's project, in exchange for a princely prize of dinner with Lee and a courtside seat next to him at a future New York Knicks game.

But Soderbergh didn't do it just for the swag. “Steven has a long history of supporting fellow filmmakers, sometimes with even less incentive than courtside seats to the Knicks,” the director's manager said.

And as it turns out, Soderbergh is one of three backers who couldn't pass up the chance to both hang out with Lee and support his upcoming film - according to NextMovie.com, two others have parted ways with $10k in the name of cinema.

Lee said on his Kickstarter page that he's joined the ranks of other stars like Zach Braff and "Veronica Mars" creator rob Thomas because the studio system isn't friendly toward independent filmmakers.

Although Lee's project, from the brief description, sounds like something that a studio might leap for - "human beings who are addicted to blood," he says of the "funny, sexy and bloody" concept - "it's a different climate now."

"I'm not hating, just stating the facts. Super Heroes, Comic Books, 3D Special EFX, Blowing up the Planet Nine Times and Fly through the Air while Transforming is not my Thang," he wrote. "To me it's not just that these Films are being made but it seems like these are the only films getting made. To The Studios it seems like every Film must be a Home run on a Global scale, a Tent Pole Enterprise, able to spin off Sequel after Sequel after Sequel after Sequel after Sequel after Sequel. I have a different vision of what Cinema can be, a different vision of what some under-served Audiences might want to see."

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Trayvon

Hey Spike. Here wear this hoodie and come walk with me.

July 29, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Str8Shooter

I would never give a dime to this BIGOTED jerk. I have never in my life seen such an arrogant, outwardly hostile, angry person (regardless of skin color) who has repeatedly bashed whites or anyone else who is not black in the media.

I hope he is done as a 'filmmaker'

July 29, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. NariJoy

I have always thought of Spike Lee as an independent filmmaker, he has always been outside the mainstream, what is he trying to say?? This is not news...

July 29, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Alvarez

I heard he enjoys eating his own poops.

July 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Timothy

Although, he is not the nicest person. I love his films, and he is right, Hollywood spends to much money blowing things up instead of making a movie with story lines and memories for the movie goer. Malcolm X I think is still one of his best films.

July 28, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bubba Rydel

An avowed racist. If a white movie producer made comments against a group of people the way that he has, they would be booted out of the industry. He's not getting my hard earned money.

July 28, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. 5024II-5024IIIII

all disconnected with hours of each other.

July 26, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Boo

I will never pay a dime to see this guy's movies. He has expressed loud and clear that he hates white people....right back at ya Spike.

July 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

Forget Spike lee and all the other established, well connected filmmakers asking for YOUR money to support INDIE film...
    PLEASE, consider supporting Kickstarter projects like mine instead, it's called DENIED (please look it up on Kickstarter)

and it follows a young hacker named Izzy, who after playing a prank on an unsuspecting mark is sucked into a deadly, high stakes corporate conspiracy.
    We're two regular guy's working hard to make an awesome ORIGINAL project happen!

July 26, 2013 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kanye West

He can't get funding because his movies SUCK.

July 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jerry355fghfgfg

wow… My friend Maggie has just married to a handsome wealthy man. They met through ~ SèèkingRich.Çoм~~ They told me it is a Specialist millionaire dating for rich single s seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet(lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try. gfdg

July 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DOC MAX--SEES WRONG--

July 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bowflex Beefcake

Hey, he's wearing a Michael Jackson t-shirt, so he can't be all that bad...

July 25, 2013 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Evangelos

Anybody want to support a regular joe who is not an A-lister and has fought tooth and nail? We have A-Listers attached Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange, The Artist), Neve Campbell (Scream, Wild Things) and JJ Feild (Captain America, Centurion) for our project BEREAVE on Indiegogo. We did not get one trade paper to pick up our story.... why? We are asking for A LOT less. Support the cause. Go to indiegogo and look up BEREAVE. Thanks guys

July 25, 2013 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. bagladyboutique

Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique.

July 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Cee Cee

Let me just say that Spike Lee hates PEOPLE. All people. I am an African American who worked with him and he looks right through everyone. He hates all people unless you're a "name" or you're part of his team. He has stood up in the past for what he believes in and never backs down to defend against racism spewed at him and African Americans and there is nothing wrong with that because he's been given plenty of reasons to do so. So if racism is your issue, start at the beginning.
    When I worked with him he didn't speak to any of the African American crew members - none of us. He felt (I guess) that we all would assume he's our friend so he made sure we knew he wasn't. On the other hand, my classmate (a white guy) was hand picked by Spike to shadow him. He took him up in a crane with him to see how he executed a cool camera shot and invited him to lunch to answer any of his questions about film making. He read this guy's script and even granted him a telephone interview after we were done with production which lasted more than 2 hours that guy ended up using that interview to pen a 3 page story in our University paper (we were in the same film program together). Spike take a personal interest in this guy. Again, a white guy.
    He's just a bitter person who is mean to just about anybody. He feels that the world owes him something and the chip on his shoulder is taller than his approx. 5'4" frame (OK, maybe 5'5"). So before you go calling him a racist let me help you out with some real truth. He's just a bitterly unpleasant fading star with an axe to grind with anyone - just pick your day. Today it's because you didn't kiss his ass but yesterday it's because you did.
    I just want to stop this forum from becoming a place to throw the 'racist' word around about a man who didn't hesitate to point it out and call it out at a time when he was the only face of a group of people who experience the blunt of its abuse.
    HE'S A COMPLICATED A&&HOLE, but talk about the facts.

July 24, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Bitter much. LOL!

July 25, 2013 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I would believe that, he comes across as very arrogant in interviews and I was really shocked how he put down Tarrantino and Jamie Foxx for the Django movie – he didn't even see it but knew it was insensitive!? I don't think he leaves a good impression from anything he says, he fights rac-ism which is great, but he took it to a personal level with Tarrantino which was totally uncalled for. If you're going to fight rac-ism – fight RAC-ISTS! NOt people who are trying to educate the youth about black repression and slavery (as Foxx and Tarrantino did).

July 25, 2013 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
    • dmjk

@ bob-
      u took the words out of my mouth!!!! LMFAO
      Seems like Cee Cee was looking for the "in" because she is black and became disappointed when the white boy got the attention. BTW- I'm black ( PC: African American) also and my smile gets me far!!!. Maybe Cee Cee is a middle child and is suffering from midle child syndrome.

July 25, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenny of Salt

Hey Cee Cee
      Thanks for your perspective! It's often too easy to judge public figures in one dimension, so I appreciate your insight into this complicated man. A person can be a great artist without being a very nice person. By many accounts Beethoven was an SOB as well...

July 26, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dick delson

He is an anti-semitic racist. Why anyone supports him is beyond me.

July 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

An arrogant rac-ist. Im suprised he wasnt leading the protest to sentence zimmerman to death for a crime noone can prove he commited (self defence or murder – both can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt). Sorry Mr Lee, your anger is out of balance and in no way constructive.

July 25, 2013 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • rob

I am with you. spike(does not deserve to have his name starting with a capital) is a racist just like, .sharpton and the rest of the travon movement people. burn our flag like a saw on tv? fah q you all.

July 30, 2013 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  18. M.A.P.

HELLO !!!! CNN!!!?? Can you see the SEVEn dating website spam messages below? BLOCK THE DAMN USERS!!! You can see their IP address, BLOCK IT!! This is not that hard to do guys, the blogs are being RUINED by these spammers and hackers. Please do something, I only have access to CNN at work and this is the only message board I can post on - PLease make it bearable!!!

July 25, 2013 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |