Elisabeth Hasselbeck says goodbye to 'The View'
July 10th, 2013

Elisabeth Hasselbeck says goodbye to 'The View'

Elisabeth Hasselbeck has had her fair share of tense hours on "The View," but her last day wasn't one of them.

On Wednesday, Hasselbeck walked out with co-host Barbara Walters arm-in-arm, and began by confirming that she's leaving "The View" after 10 years to join Fox News Channel's "Fox & Friends" in September.

Yet in addition to thanking Fox News for opening up the opportunity, she also was profusely grateful to her co-hosts.

"Everyone always asks me, 'what's Whoopi like?'" Hasselbeck told her co-host Whoopi Goldberg. "You're one of the most talented artists on this planet, but when they ask me what you're like, yes you are that, but you're even more loving than you are talented. You are walking unconditional love ... and I'm blessed to have called myself a friend of yours."

Hasselbeck admitted that she and Joy Behar have frequently feuded, but she said that off-camera, the two were friends.

"Joy and I have spent the past ten years sparring over politics, but I have the most insane amount of respect for you," Hasselbeck told Behar.

Sherri Shepherd wasn't present during Hasselbeck's farewell, and she joked that Shepherd's "protest of absence is not working. I'm still going ... [but] I love you, Sherri. Even when you're not right beside me, you're always with me. You're my sister in Christ."

And to Barbara Walters, who will soon also depart the series she helped create, Hasselbeck thanked her for being a great teacher.

"I could be wrong, but I think I have over 3,000 days working by your side," she told Walters. "Over the course of a decade, I feel as though I've attended the Barbara Walters School of Broadcasting Journalism ... I feel more than prepared at this point because of all that you've given me, [and] confident to move forward. I can't ask for a better leader and mentor."

The ladies returned the love, complimenting Hasselbeck for standing by her opinions even when the debates became heated, and for being there for them as a friend.

"I have to say that I appreciated your presence a lot," Behar said. "When we got into it, it was exciting, for the show I think. We probably have enemies because of it, but so what? But we never were mad at each other. We'd finish the argument, and talk about our shoes or something. Elisabeth has always been professional. I'm glad to see that you're moving into a great job."

Goldberg chimed in to tell the new Fox News name that she thinks Hasselbeck is "the cat's meow. You've been a really good friend to me, and I appreciate you. And may we both continue to grow."

And from Shepherd, via Twitter: "Love you too my sister-in-Christ...My Bridesmaid...My Friend. Who's hand will I hold under the table? Who will pray w me? ... We may not always agree politically, but @ehasselbeck is one of the most genuine people I know & I am honored to call her my friend #love."

Hasselbeck joined "The View" after Lisa Ling left the program, and Walters, having hired the then-newlywed with a conservative perspective, was perhaps the most emotional about Hasselbeck's exit.

"I have a lot of affection for you," Walters told her. "We feel that you always brought a fresh voice to the show. You stood by your opinions even when things were very heated, and that's not an easy thing to do ... You're going to leave a big void at this table, and we're not going to fill this very soon."

The plan, Walters said, is to use plenty of guest hosts while the show tries to figure out who may step in to fill some of "The View's" empty seats. Joy Behar, too, is leaving at the end of this season, the show's 16th.

But for the time being - the rest of Wednesday's episode, at least - Hasselbeck was still a "View" co-host. "Come back to us, come visit whenever you feel like it," Walters said. "You're leaving us, and you're taking a lot of love with you. ... Remember when you’re with Fox, to take a little time to enjoy the 'View.'"

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Laurie

good, I can't stand her either.

July 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. finally

Only way it could get worse is if they hire Katie Curic HAHAHAHA

July 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. finally

Can't stand her. But atleast she was smart enough to get off of the worst TV sow ever !

July 16, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. shirley henderson

Thank gawd!!! Its about time – thought it would never happen!!!!! Now, what about the rest of them??????

July 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PRINT OUT MY COMMENTS AND FILE THIS SET OF COMMENTS WITH THE TOE NAIL BLOGS AND PHOTO..THANKS...SHE'S BAD ENERGY

July 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. WE VOTED THIS A YEAR AGO AND VOTED IT NOW: JEALOUS, SCORNED WOMAN WE DO NOT NEED TOO BE AROUND HER ENERGY ANYMORE..ANY OF MY COMMENTS ARE DIRECTEDT TOO THE TOENAIL PHOTO WHICH SHE SNAPPED...THANKS...

July 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BUSINESS AS USUAL--

OFF WE GO - I HAVE APPOINTMENTS - GOING OVER NEW POSITION IN SEPT.

July 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SHE TOOK THE SHOT HE WAS NOT THERE...THANKS

July 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ALL MY COMMENTS PERTAIN TOO THE TOE NAIL PHOTO CONFESSION....WE CAN GO NOW....SET HER AND SHE SAID THE SAME THING 2 TIMES ON A BLOG...THE TIME SHE TOOK PHOTO AND TODAY ...I FORWARDED BOTH BLOGS...THANKS..WE ARE DONE WITH HER...THANKS

HACKINGHOE@HOTMAIL.COM DAZ YOU

July 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

FCUK YOU AND YOUR FAT FINGER CONFESSION. You can stick in up your fat a-rse if you can manage to peel the huge flaps of skin apart. Ew the thought off it makes me sick. You are so gross.

July 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SHE IS STUPID..BIGTIME

July 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mitt Zombie

She is so stupid, but you have to be to be a republican woman.

July 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. YOUR STARTED IT AND WE HAVE EVERYTHING WE NEED SHE IS OFFICIALLY IGNORED...ANY PROBLEMS FOLDERS ARE READY OTHERWISE SHE IS HAS BEEN VOTED TOO IGNORE...WE ALL VOTED: TEXT PLEASE...

July 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. S

Everyone is working on it

July 13, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

I hope this woman never comes back !!!!!!

July 13, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Paged-file it

July 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. liz

she will be fine at fox...she has a wonderful husband and kids who support her....excellent field reporter

July 11, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The view

bye liz–sorry they let you go

July 11, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Marc

Goodbye you squiggly B*t*h have fun getting fired from Fox!

July 11, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CAIT

But what will The View dynamic be like now? A whole lot of partisan high-fives and full agreement on every subject? How friggin boring. The catty debates were the only reasons for me to watch. Too bad Rosie finked out, because that was some of the best moments in the entire life of the show.

July 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  20. FATSO THE JAIL THING I'VE KNOW FOR YEARS....BUT I STILL DO NOT JUDGE YOU FATSO

;;;;;

July 11, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JS SAID TOO KEEP BOUNCING SO WE CAN KEEP TRACK OF YOU....HE THEN CALLED CREDIT AND THEY UNDERSTOOD WHAT WE DID AND I WAS CLEAR....YOU WERE THERE FOR THAT CONVO ALSO FAT RAT HACK

FAT RAT HACK

July 11, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  22. FAT RAT HO--DOC HER

PRINT AND FILE– NOBODY AUTHORIZED HER TOO PUT HER FAT FINGERS INTO THE MACHINE AND DO IT...NOBODY GAVE HER A CONTRACT STATING SHE COULD DISABLE WHEN SHE FEELS LIKED IT...FAT RAT HO

July 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. PRINT AND FILE-- NOBODY AUTHORIZED HER TOO INTO THE MACHINE AND DO IT...NOBODY GAVE HER A CONTRACT STATING SHE COULD DISABLE WHEN SHE FEELS LIKED IT...FAT RAT HO

July 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. SHE WENT INTO THE PROTECTION WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION AND DISABLED IT..THANKS

FAT RAT HACK

July 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. xcbxcbery

Oh~Unbelievable… My friend Kimenie has just married to a handsome black man. They met through ~~ MìxedMàtchìng. Çom~~ They told me it is the best, largest and most successful black&white dating site for black and white singles seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. If you are single , don't wait any longer. Create your profile for free and start browsing through their profiles.xcb

July 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. SHE WENT INTO THE PROTECTION WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION AND DISABLED IT..THANKS

July 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Meh

One of these things is not like the others

July 11, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  28. Kathy

Yeah, she is leaving. Now I can start watching again.

July 11, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  29. Sokman

She is a beautiful white woman, Kathy. Shut your own rodent face.

July 11, 2013 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  30. kathy

Good riddance rodent face.

July 11, 2013 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  31. John

So Faux News is getting rid of one dumb blonde and replacing her with another.
    Is this really news?

July 11, 2013 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  32. The View

After everything we have reviewed about her own past we have determined she is no position to judge anyone...
    overnight studies shows she is like everyone else – according too our overnight studies her history is huge.

July 11, 2013 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  33. Goldberg...

is the whole show she is able too prove how black women can be successful make tons of money and survive racism.
    we have so many people who are racist and we need too respect this woman for all her work along with nicki, oprah and all the black entertainers that have showed up what talents they are....quincy jones love him too

July 11, 2013 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  34. NAILHER

The view is a very good show we are glad whoopee was able too bring the ratings up in time of need.

July 11, 2013 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  35. ON WITH AL...REPORT IN EVERY HOUR

July 11, 2013 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  36. Sad day...

I will miss the way she would hike up her skirt on occasion and flash her hoo-haw.

July 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Captain Slapaho

"The View:" is still on the air?
    Who knew?

July 10, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. palintwit

Now here is something funny. FOX News is wholly owned by News Corp.
    News Corp's second largest stockholder is Prince Alwaleed of Saudi Arabia.
    Fox is owned by Arab Muslims.

July 10, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fox is funded by terrorists. Fox viewers are terrorist sympathizers. Fox viewers hate America and freedom

July 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  39. A curse upon you

One shining bright light and four embittered haggard fountains of correctly-indoctrinated drivel. Who would watch the predictable mindless lib talking points show? The sheeple who need to be told what their lib opinion should be, which is why the show is so popular in New England.

July 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

Historians now agree that the south lost the civil war because generations of inbreeding resulted in an abnormally high number of mentally challenged soldiers in the confederate army. Also, physical deformaties such as webbed feet prevented the confederates from running from the northern army, thus insuring their capture and defeat. One has only to take a casual drive south of the Mason-Dixon line to see the descendants of the confederate forces, easily recognizable by their lack of teeth and sloping foreheads and propensity to watch Fox Lies.

July 10, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • BubblesB

She is the typical ultra-conservative right-wing type who believes every word out of the Tea Party and Republican Party and Fox News. She's been drinking the Kool Aid far too long. The View will be far better off without her.

July 10, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Love your comment! So true. Elizabeth, (yes she has a name), will be missed, as she was the ONLY one who wasn't a flaming liberal. The show is so weighted in one direction that it was like a free for all when E. would try to give an opinion. She stuck up for what she thought, though, and I admired that: a brave woman! Hope she loves her new job!!! It should be interesting to see if they even come close to ever having anyone who would stand up for traditional values and smaller government.

August 5, 2013 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  40. palintwit

Last night I dreamt we lived in a Palin free world. And then I woke up...

July 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Wow, Palintwit,

The amount of ignorance that precipitates a comment like this has to be disproportionate to what most humans could hold in the size brain they possess. I am wondering where you got the prejudicial beliefs you hold, if you are even close to being serious here. Do you really think that anyone would believe that you could be serious? I am wondering whether to laugh or just be amazed at the ignorance displayed by your insulting comments. When you have learned to display respect toward those who don't agree with you politically, and are able to discuss issues, and not "throw stones", you might consider that you have grown up. I hesitate to ask how old you are, because your chronological age seems to have nothing to do with your level of maturity. I imagine that you are now creating a fresh group of insults to fling at me, but just know: it will have no effect. Only reasonable arguments concerning issues are worth listening to, so unless you present some of those, don't expect any listening ear from my direction.

August 5, 2013 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  41. LB

Bingo! Right. Where. She. Belongs. I wonder how Roger tasted on his comfy couch? Did Palin get up to make room for Miss Lizzy? Fox News. Where the little, narrow minds of blonds with stilletos go to wear their v-neck sweaters to keep the blood pumping through the veins of the old, male, pale and stale. You've finally made it honey! Timmy must be so proud! Onward Christian soldiers...............

July 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Guess what, LB,

You are just spouting what you hear from the ultra-liberal media who control all but FOX. Just because you and other liberals are louder, ruder, and abrasive toward huge groups of people who are not all the same doesn't mean the rest of us believe you or that you are correct. How do you like being lumped together with every liberal, no matter what they think, like you are doing to the conservatives? I, being a conservative, happen to know that we are not all alike and don't like being thought so. There are some conservatives that I would be proud to be compared to, and some that I would stay as far from as possible. If you don't want people to be biased against you and label you, then don't do it to others. We're sick of it!

August 5, 2013 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  42. Not taking the hit....

the show's rating issue is going on for 12 yrs ....

July 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  43. The Family

Can she be that jealous that she scripts blogs from looking at you?

July 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bye Elizabeth....

hahahahahahahaha

July 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Pliny

In other words....your mom.

July 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |