Jim Carrey apologizes to 'assault rifle fans'
July 8th, 2013

Jim Carrey apologizes to 'assault rifle fans'

Jim Carrey's passion for gun control has caused him to say some things he now regrets.

On Sunday, the actor tweeted an apology to "assault rifle fans" for the times he's lobbed insults at those who disagree with his position.

See photos of Jim Carrey through the years

"Asslt rifle fans,I do not agree wth u,nor do I fear u but I do love u and I'm sorry tht in my outrage I called you names.That was wrong," Carrey said. "Btw I don't need a crisis mgr, just a conscience. Calling ppl names is inappropriate but my position on assault weapons hasn't changed."

While the 51-year-old actor didn't mention specific instances in his apology, he has been known to refer to those who support gun ownership as "maniacs" and "heartless motherf******."

"Any1 who would run out to buy an assault rifle after the Newtown massacre has very little left in their body or soul worth protecting," Carrey tweeted in February.

The Sandy Hook school shooting last December and other tragedies like it have also caused Carrey to take a stand against violence in one of his own films.

In late June, Carrey publicly withdrew his support of his August 16 release, "Kick-Ass 2," saying that he couldn't stand behind the movie about young, self-made superheroes.

"I did Kickass a month b4 Sandy Hook and now in all good conscience I cannot support that level of violence," Carrey said at the time. "[M]y apologies to others involve[d] with the film. I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. christy

Darn decent of Jim to apologize to assault rifle owners everywhere. Just because they are blood thirsty sociopaths doesn't mean we have the right to hurt their feelings.

August 6, 2013 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. jonwyatt

Jim's got a LOT of films to be ashamed of, this is just the most recent.......

August 6, 2013 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jim

I do feel sorry for him...he has a lot of problems which he appears too not be dealing with either .. shame...he could so much more

August 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

has too talk too his mommy before saying hello....NO NOOKS.

August 5, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nuclear mike

Helmut tap & lock & load people!!!

August 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • there are no people here..your all of them.

August 5, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • nuclear mike > stooge

probably pronounces it 'nuke-u-ler' like his hero, Bushy II.

August 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • bush II

In order too sleep with someone the bush has too come off....you would not know that you don't do it very often and today is Monday ....bjay schedule is once a week...yippee for the boyfriend...hahahahahahahahah....he must be thrilled to death...a once a week just too shut him up..oh well he takes it i guess.

haaaaaaaaaaaaa

August 5, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DAZ IT

1. NO DATE WITH AL
    2. WE NEEDED TOO GET ANOTHER HACK FROM YOUR FAT GIRLFRIENDS
    3. I AM GOING TOO CALIFORNIA
    4. WE GOT YOU...
    5. THAT OTHER JERK I AM ATTRACTED TOO ... LEAVE IT ALONE...

August 5, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rjackparis

Coward. a flat out Coward.

then again, what can we expect from a man who's most popular movies had him quite literally talking out of his ass.

August 4, 2013 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bob

Jim Carrey is a man of principle who is willing to apologize when he feels like he has done wrong and yet still stand by his position. A lot of people on this thread are slamming him for the maturity and social courage that he has demonstrated. It does not speak well of the people who are more interested in character assassination of the guy.

August 4, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • tnourie

Aye, if the principle is "do the popular thing at the time". If you make life choices based on whichever way the political winds are blowing, well. . . . .

I'd like to ask you a question: If you were a thief, and you were looking for an area to target for your "activities", and there were two available to you; one having very lax gun laws, where most folks were armed and the other area with very strict gun laws where no one is armed because it was illegal there; which town would you pick as your target? The armed one or the dis-armed one? Why?

By the way, my solution to this gun mess? Buy more ammo and hope I never need it.

August 4, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • FoolKiller

No, what he wants is to have it both ways. He will call people names, apologize in a half@ssed way, then expect those same people to attend his movies. Well, guess what? I, for one, am sick of him and will never pay to see another of his childish movies.

August 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Justin

If the crap hits the fan its the people with the guns who will be taking what they need from those who dont have a means of stopping them. Liberal views of gun ownership will seem naive at that point.

August 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. addison

Come on people.. do you not recall the kids in school who always wanted to be in the school play or were drama students in High School? They were not exactly "normal" then.. and the guys were sissies and wimps... These are our actors.. They were meaningless in school and were to laugh at.. and they should be the same now.

August 2, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Broaster07

Carey is like every other left-wing Hollywood elitist: He follows the party goal of destroying American freedom by using his popularity to propagandize for the relinquishment of our rights while he and his ilk will be protected by their wealth and affiliation. Should it come to censoring his movies and redistribute his wealth, he would be singing another tune entirely.

August 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gus

I guess he figured it out A lot of people like assault weapons and very few want to watch his ignorant slapstick comedy.. He is is irrelevant.. Like Chris Matthews and Piers Morrgan... Lol. Not accepted.

August 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ApologyNotAccepted

Get out of this country, you do not support and defend my rights so I don't support and defend yours.

August 1, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JD

Get a spine Jim you were right in the first place and it's too bad you lost your spine. Maniacs would collect weapons out of compulsion and feelings that they are not in control and inadequate. And i'm not talking about responsible gun owners out there either as they are the vast majority but there are alot of folks with some real mental problems who own and horde assault weapons.

August 1, 2013 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. jefnvk

As a general rule, the opinions of anyone who express them using "Any1", "b4", and who finds it too time consuming to press another key to spell "tht" correctly, isn't really worth listening to.

Correct grammar, punctuation and spelling go far further than people like to think.

July 29, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff in Denver

well..if you are going to waste time using twitter you have to shorten your words with that character limit. kind of like your name? jefnvk?

July 30, 2013 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

That's not even the worst of it. The worst part is he said assault rifle fans. First it's not an assault rifle if it's not automatic. Second we aren't fans of them. We are fans of firearms.

July 31, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Frank

Too late, John. Your career is over.

July 29, 2013 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Veganpotter

His career is over? Yup...until the next guy that pays him over $10million dollars to make a movie;)

July 31, 2013 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Houston

I am voting with my pocketbook and now refuse to see any movies or shows with Jim Carrey

August 3, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  17. j

this guy is worthless

July 28, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. holaml

I really don't care what he does or thinks, I used to like him and defended him many times, but he crossed the line where I am concerned and I will not go or what any of his movies ever again, and I loved liar liar. But, oh well will not watch it again.

July 27, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  19. Gotcha...she adores carey...its not about carey anyway...

July 23, 2013 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  20. Donny B.

So Jim Carrey regrets his involvement in the film Kick-Ass 2. Is he going to donate the entire salary that he earned making the film, as well as every cent of the royalties from the film to anti-violence / anti-gun charities? If not, then STFU.

July 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thatguy371

Give it a rest. Whether he does what you order him to do or not, means nothing. He doesn't work for you, nor does he have to go by your guidelines.

July 27, 2013 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  21. the comedian

when he annoys me i want him even more.

July 13, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Package

i would pay for his movie he is hot.

July 13, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. charles

I will simply never pay for anything with Jim Carey in it again

July 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. cisimons323

see

July 13, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  25. 323--

ON A DATE IN 1 HOUR...BYE 323

July 13, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  26. SHE NEEDS A SCOOP THAT'S WHY SHE'S HERE WHY ELSE WOULD SHE BE HERE?

July 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. I'M NOT JIM CARREY---I'M FEMALE AND MEN WANT ME.

==

July 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  28. JIM CARREY'S JUST NOT FUNNY ANY MORE

.. and no woman will have him, either.

July 13, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. SHE THINKS I KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT CARREY...WOULD NEVER GRANT HER THE RESPECT OF TELLING HER EVEN IF I DID....READ THE REPORT...NANA...DISTORED INFO...THANKS

=-

July 13, 2013 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  30. Jane

George we all have been thinking the same thing for a good year now.

July 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  31. George Welch

Why would a comment by any "entertainer" be taken seriously? They are, after all, nothing but pretenders living a pretend existence. Their origins go back to the caveman days where they begged scraps around the campfires in exchange for entertaining the hunter producers, being incapable of producing anything else of worth. Little has changed since then except the scrap portions have grown larger. Hardly worth paying attention to anything any of them have to say.

July 11, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MY COMMENTED ARE DIRECTED TOO THE FACT SHE HACKED INTO THE 5G TOTAL IN MY PERSONAL ACCOUNTS....MORE BAD NEWS ON THE WAY...

July 9, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  33. J Meyers

Every once in a while a celebrity lets the public know what he/she really thinks of them. These Hollywood types actually believe that they're superior to the rest of us in all ways and, if they're truthful like Mr. Carey, actually holds us in contempt. We are the great unwashed, the stupid, ignorant and uneducated masses whose only value to them is our contributions to theaters when they do us the favor of making a movie. The sneering, sarcastic image that Mr. Carey exhibited in his video (not to mention his vile attack on a dead man) reflects his true feelings towards one section of the public. His only regret is that he dropped his facade long enough to let us know how he really feels about us. He's sorry alright, but not for what he said. He's sorry because he said it publicly and now we know how he feels about a substantial portion of his fans. As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Carey can take his apology and shove it.

July 9, 2013 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Thatguy371

No, actually, he simply doesn't approve of assault rifles. Nor do I. And he has the advantage over me of having celebrity, which tends to make his opinions be viewed by more people. He can get more done with his crusade than I can. That's how it works.

July 27, 2013 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  34. Bud

Sorry, Jimmy-boy. Too little, too late. You just "shot yourself in the foot" so, yes, you stay away from weapons. Or anything that will spew your vile rhetoric when you mind isn't in gear. Bye-Bye!

July 9, 2013 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Thatguy371

I'm sure he's crying in his cereal this morning, lamenting having offended poor little whiny Bud.

July 27, 2013 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  35. michaela011

what Carmen explained I am impressed that any body can make $6192 in 1 month on the . have you seen this web linkgo to this site home tab for more detail->>> http://www.jobs31.com

July 9, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  36. M.A.P.

Gun enthusiasts are all turds. OK if you are a gun owner, but if you an enthusiast you're a sloppy sloppy turd-not a person.

July 9, 2013 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  37. scott

They are NOT "assault" rifles...they are NOT "automatic" weapons. They are military "styled" weapons, but are no different or more dangerous than just about any other gun. They have a large magazine, that's it and it you keep it from the nutsos, it holds no material danger.

July 9, 2013 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • jabberwolf

No he's not insane – are you stupid?
      They are NOT designed to kill multiple people just designed to LOOK like military weapons that are.
      There are riffles out there that fire much larger rounder at a higher rate and are NOT considered assault rifles.

For the retards that think gun laws are the problem and work if made touch enough – CARRY? I DARE YOU TO WALK AROUND CHICAGO FOR A FEW HOURS IF YOU THINK SO. I DARE YOU LOSER!! TALK AND TYPE IS CHEAP!

July 9, 2013 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

@jabberwolfso you are threatning to shoot people who believe in gun laws? Wow, I hope they trace your IP address and come take all your preious guns away. Who would you be without your all holy guns? NOthing. Nobody.

July 9, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • JD

MAP it is obvious you don't care to pay attention to the facts. To be considered an assault rifle they have to be fully automatic first and most assault rifles have magaizines that contain many more than 30 shells. These rifles are comparable to me putting the smallest VW engine in a dragster car frame and calling it a dragster. Appearance alone doesn't make a gun more deadly or indicate it is for killing people instead of hobby shooting. I didn't see anything in the previous comments that anyone wanted to shoot or kill anyone. That is just some more of the way Liberals at all levels like to twist facts and the truth to fit their agenda. I don't want to shoot or want anyone shot. But if it comes down to saving my life I want that option and not have to depend on sudden change of heart by a criminal. Just because I own a few guns and keep at least one close to my bed doesn't mean I'm itching to kill anyone. Many times the possibility that someone maybe able to defend themselves is a deterrent to a criminal.

July 13, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • NO YOUR HEAR BECASUE YOU FEEL I'M GONNA TOO GIVE YOU INFORMATION ABOUT HIM...NEVER.

July 13, 2013 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  38. Tim

I don't know what's worse. The fact that he made those comments or the fact he went back and apologized and didn't stick up for his own believes. Pathetic at best.Either way I'm done with him.

July 9, 2013 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Thatguy371

He did stand up for his own beliefs. He reiterated he's against assault weapons.

July 27, 2013 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  39. GOING OUR FOR A DRINK...DO NOT BUG ME ANYMORE FELLAS...THANKS

----

July 8, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Babak from LA

I guess his public relations folks had a talk with him..... too late!

July 8, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. SEE WHAT JIM HAS TOO LOOK FORWARD TOO EVERYTIME HE MEETS SOMEONE

July 8, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Delusional...good part is you can't hear anymore...

=

July 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  43. figment

Being mass murderers at heart makes assault rifle fans a dangerous group to offend.

July 8, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  44. RealMarriedCouplesSay:

It appears they are both not interested in each other...no way

July 8, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Sounds like he wants too explore --

July 8, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  46. needhimfwb

my work place was a love machine dept at times......the difference was everyone kept their mouth shut–if they broke up it was still business as usual....the office is much different everyone keeps their mouth shut

July 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Ups and Downs..

I would say more ups...the woman or man is out of the pressure cooker 1 -2 days a week.

July 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  48. 53--print if she did or did not..thanks.

thanks

July 8, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. needhimasfwb

jim carrey– I've heard that name before

July 8, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  50. needhimasfwb-yep

July 8, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  51. I guess that's what the magic is of the relationship--NO BOFF JUST BUSTING COMPS...MANDI2 ...PUHLEAZE..

-–

July 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Don't ever question my behavior hacking ho ---and don't you ever call me mandi2...i can't break computers like she can....

July 8, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Love Expert--

she's just mad cuz her hearing loss has increased....too d-m bad and take care of you vay jay or you'll man will run

July 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  54. snapshot at salon...vay this

ha

July 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Soapy Johnson

Too late for an apology, the damage is done. You alienated your fanbase, Jim - http://placeitonluckydan.com/2013/06/career-advice-jim-carrey/

July 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I am 100% certain he will be 100% okay. Besides he is part of Hollywood, going on a bit of a liberal rant doesn't exactly hurt your career. Dude is a multimillionaire and a mega star. A few tweets lashing out at people talking how much they love assault rifles after Sandy Hook, is not going to hurt him.

I own a couple guns, including an MP15, but I sure as hell didn't wave them around and talk about how much I love them because 20 little kids just got massacred. I didn't believe the bologna conspiracy theories either that homeboy made over $400,000 and counting off of.

Gun "lovers" went freaking nuts after Sandy Hook. A lot of people, especially on Facebook, used it as a chance to show everyone how distasteful, gullible and hateful they are. Decent people were frustrated to say the least.

July 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steves

A "mega star"? Sorry, no.

July 31, 2013 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  56. davis25

He withdrew his support for the movie but I wonder if he sent back the check?

July 8, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  57. jim carrey is so hot

I want too bite his lips off

July 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Deaf in Car

haaaaaaaaaaa

July 8, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  59. PLINY HATES AMERICA AND CHILDREN TOO!! he is a very bad person-

thanks =

July 8, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaCatcher

Did the hypocrtical Carey send his check back for filming the POS movie Kick Ass 2?

July 8, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Pliny disrespects American Military, cancer patients, all minority groups.

thanks–

July 8, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Reeb

how can a person fight day in and day out....its beyond my thought process

July 8, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  62. Looks like its works..thanks.

July 8, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  63. FIND AN FWB--YOUR BETTER OFF...

July 8, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  64. Carrey is so hot...

especially when he wears his sun glasses over his head.

July 8, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  65. palintwit

It must be absolute hell to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and realize you're Sarah Palin. If it was me I'd drive over to the nearest deli and stick my head in a bread slicing machine.

July 8, 2013 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  66. FIND A FWB JIM--YOUR BETTER OFF

July 8, 2013 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  67. HACKING SIDTRACKS AS FOLLOWS

1. HAS MISSED EVENING CALLS FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW...LAST NIGHT WAS PROOF
    2. I HAVE 4 CHECKING ACCOUNTS FOR 20 YEARS....NOT 2
    3. 200K BLOCKED FOR OVER 6 MONTHS...SHE CAN ONLY SEE 2 ACCOUNTS WHICH ARE FULL.

YOU TREAT YOUR MAN LIKE SH-T GET A MOVE ON

July 8, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  68. BEGAN AT M.A.P. AT 7:15 AM. THANKS

July 8, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  69. DRJ22

lol

July 8, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  70. Clete

Who edits these posts...this one is spam and should have been deleted and the spammer banned.

July 8, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Pliny

Do what you always do.

Lick them clean.

July 8, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  72. M.A.P.

Touche Pliny. You got a chuckle out of me for that one at least.

July 8, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  73. M.A.P.

Oh, btw, nice of you to attack me for making funny poop posts, then you go right ahead and leave your own revolting suggestion right under mine. Seems like YOU are the big fat hypocrite to me.

July 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  74. M.A.P.

OMG Pliny, that is increadibly offensive to all the American Hero's who have died of Cancer. HOW DARE YOU YOU COWARD! Sitting behind your keyboard making jokes at the expense of terminally ill patiens SHAME ON YOU!!!

July 8, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Joe

My dog may eat his own feces, but still he has a certain standard. I highly doubt he would eat something as nasty as Palin.

July 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  76. carrey

shot too trot!

July 8, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Thomas

how many men she marry?

July 24, 2013 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  78. John

Seriously do you not see how immature your comment it...ohhh palin had cooties.. are you in 4th or 5th grade?

August 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |