Alec Baldwin 'would love' to quit acting
July 3rd, 2013

Alec Baldwin 'would love' to quit acting

In the wake of his "ill-advised" Twitter rant, Alec Baldwin's threatening to quit social media and acting. (Yes, again.)

The star has said that he plans to lay off Twitter after he unleashed a storm of angry tweets upon a journalist that were viewed as homophobic. Baldwin's apologized to his critics, and he told Vanity Fair that going forward, he doesn't think he'll be using Twitter again.

Actually, make that "never."

Like Baldwin told Gothamist, James Gandolfini's funeral - which was at the heart of Baldwin's most recent Twitter controversy - was a real light-bulb moment for him.

"He was so admired as an actor, and he didn’t give a f*** about social media," Baldwin said of his late friend. Thinking about that, the actor said he realized that "'This is all a waste of time.' Meaning it’s fun sometimes, but less and less, and less. It’s just another chink in your armor for people to come and kill you."

After all, Baldwin is well acquainted with the drama that can be caused when conversations that are meant to be private wind up in the very public spotlight.

"I’m having a baby. And everyone has seen how certain things have played out with my daughter, which has been very painful," he said, presumably referencing the fallout from an angry voicemail he once left Ireland, his daughter with ex-wife Kim Basinger. "It’s been really unpleasant. That has consequences, and I do not want that to happen with my next child."

Baldwin went on that he dreams of his unborn daughter, whom he's having with new wife Hilaria Thomas, coming to him "about seven or eight years from now, she has a friend, and she’s at her house and she says, 'Daddy, Susie’s mom says you used to be on TV. Daddy, is that true?' She has no knowledge of me as a public person. That would be heaven for me."

So does that mean the 55-year-old star is exiting the business for good, as he's talked about doing over the years? Not exactly. But that doesn't mean he doesn't think about it.

"I’d love to if I could, yeah," he told Vanity Fair. "That would be the greatest thing in the world."

Filed under: Alec Baldwin • Celebrities

1. priscilla

I READ PEOPLE FOR FUN NICE TO BREAK AWAY FROM SERIOUS READING I THINK IM AM IN BIG TROUBLE BIG TROUBLE MATTHEW WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE A GIRLS PERRY TOO I AM SUFFERING BUT IN MY MIND I AM DOING WELL LET ME KNOW WHEN U HAVE A WOMANS HOUSE

July 16, 2013 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. HEAR LOSS 8

STFU

July 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Agrav8td

I like Alec Baldwin, I hope he doesn't stop acting. I even like his commercials. I think he's just saying what all actors are thinking. I can't imagine having every single aspect of my life broadcasted all over the globe at all times. Just because someone is famous, doesn't mean we have all access rights to their lives.

July 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. THERE IS NO STEVE..FAT RAT HACK

July 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fauntleroy

"Chink in the Armor" is racist. That what the Chinese enemies use to do. Put a "Chink" in Armor and send them to the front lines to take the spears. HaHaHaHa

July 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Alvarez

I enjoy eating my own poop.

July 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hey

drinks at 10

July 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DaTruth

Swollen faced alcoholic.

July 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • RatBastid

Alec Baldwin appears to be addicted to alcohol and his alcoholism must contribute to erratic behaviour and impulsive outbursts. However, I think that he should be left alone, and it is due to his drunkeness that the press and paparazzi chase him down to see what he is going to do next. He looks like he would be a pretty good guy to have a few drinks with though.

July 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tettamar

Yep I am sure Alec is the life of the party!

July 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jane

Alec is much stronger and would never tolerate his girlfriend's behavior....

July 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kryptonite

How 'bout just laying off the booze, Alec?

July 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. maria

What a wimp...can't stand this guy really! go away please is sooner is better ,I don't know why people put this divas on pedestals hey think they are God's send! ughhhhhhhh! never watch his movies? I don't know if he has movies, or his shows ,having tantrums in his old age is obnoxious!

July 9, 2013 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Just go away!

Alec Baldwin - the ultimate slime ball has sired another child? How very, very unfortunate for the child!

July 8, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stellar17

I have observed Alec Baldwin's behavior while he was passing through airports and airport lounges for years and he has always behaved like a gentleman. You on the other hand, don't appear to be either a lady or a gentleman.

July 9, 2013 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. gee i guess we shut alec up didn't we---compares 2 too fat rat hack

July 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. In I relationships we still prepare the man's towel for showering...dont compare too your fat rat hack :P

July 8, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Print out my comments from this machine and outside machine..thanks...i'm just like wife 1 :p

July 8, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Alec..don't ever compare me too that mess...here you will be treated like a man not a mouse...kapeesh.

July 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Print out my comments mandi fat rat hack trying too be cool with me...thanks

July 8, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. fat rack hacker ... instead of watching me in a salon..why don't you go to one once in awhile...-

fat rat hack

July 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Alll my comments are related to mandi the hacking ho CNN she know exactly what she does...she's at the salon righ tnow...hacking ho

July 8, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Alvarez

I'd like to splatter a thick layer of turd on his face.

July 7, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  21. paul

I'm sick and tired of Alec Baldwin making it seem as though its OTHERS who make him do things. He's a great actor but I can guarantee you that if I didn't see him in another commercial for capital one or in a tv comedy or movie I would not have noticed that I didn't see him.

QUIT. Just do it already. I don't think fans are holding anything to your head. Producers, otherwise are, and thats a HUGE FAT PAYCHECK that his grubby fingers can't pass up. (Mine would either)

I lost all respect for this man a couple of weeks back when he tweeted that he would love to see (paraphrasing) some beat the junk out of that QUEEN". Not only did he call for violence but he used a HATE WORD against another person. AND because he thinks himself HIGHER than anyone else and claims to have done so much to advance the gay community he got a free pass.

Just quit, Alec. In 5 years time, if we're begging for you to return, than claim "i'd love to quit but can't"

Ego is one huge part of an otherwise, small man.

July 7, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Since when is the word queen always to be taken as a racist comment? The haters don't want to admit that the word "queen" also meant someone who thinks they are better than everyone else or somehow excused from the polite behaviors of everyday people. Since many of the replies on this story are from trolls, (who because they think they are annonymous they can behave like low class trash) anyone in the public eye is subject to every word they utter being picked apart and held against them. Even if it was said years ago. Why can't people just be given the benefit of the doubt in conversations? If you want to know what someone means by a comment, just ask them? don't automatically assume that a word is racist, bigoted, or whatever if there can be other meanings or definitions.

July 11, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • NO STEVE---POOF!

FAT RAT HACK

July 11, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Alvarez

My poop is green today. Tastes funny too.

July 7, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Alvarez

I heard he carries a load of poop in his pants everywhere he goes.

July 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Susan

Yes alec, it would be the greatest thing if you would quit acting, perhaps before acting quits on you? Social media is just the messenger, you are the problem.

July 7, 2013 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  25. Americanmexphil

I don't even like the guy but it's pretty sad to see everybody jump on the bandwagon to want to see him to drown in his own vomit. What I really like the most out of all of this is watching the left and the left wing media eating their own. Another One Bites The Dust. Ha, Ha,

July 6, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. WE CAN JUST NAIL HER ON THE FACT SHE KNOWS WHO'S CALLING MY HOME RIGHT? ...FAT RAT HACKER

July 6, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  27. FAT HACKER WIFE STILL TRYING HER BEST TOO WIN. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

July 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. AL NEEDS TOO START A NEW LIFE--THAT IS A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND ABUSE.

July 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  29. MORTICIA WILL NEVER WIN THE FIGHT CUZ SHE HAS MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.

July 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. GOT WORD AT 10:30AM...FAT RAT HACKER DON'T BOFF HER MAN OR TREAT HIM WELL SO SHE'S THIS WAY...

July 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Alec's wife is a total moron---and she has a "habit".

July 6, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Stellar17

I would be careful about making statements you can't substantiate. Don't want to get sued now do you?

July 9, 2013 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  32. MOTORED IN AND OUT--- IF ITS HER DOC IT.

July 6, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  33. JGN

Alec, rise above.
    Surely you have learned by now that exposing your every thought via 'social media' does not increase your fan base (social media 'friends' are not the same as rainy day friends or true actual real-life friends), and that even when we who do not know you personally agree with what you are exposing your anger about it does NOTHING to enhance your career or your personal life?
    I had a very good friend from Ireland who frequently said 'Pass no remarks' when those around her were gossiping or seeking her opinion on something she felt wasn't her business. Best advice I ever heard, and hardest to follow.

July 6, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Stellar17

He just stated he is going to do exactly that. He is giving up twitter and will therefore pass no remarks in future. Get it?

July 9, 2013 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  34. Lurch

As long as you're leaving, take Jim Carrey with you. Your time is over. You got old and angry. Time to find a nice rocking chair and sit out on the porch and yell obscenities at the cars driving too fast past your retirement home.

July 6, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  35. wearenotstupid

Alec is very talented, but I hate seeing him make a fool of himself with his wife, It annoys the heck out of me that he has taken this untalented nothing of a person and made her a celebrity. There are so many talented people that cannot find work. I can't wait to see how it all falls out when this "honeymoon" is over and real life sets in.

July 5, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  36. blakenaustin

Do all of us a huge favor and follow through with your threats Alec. Move to Canada. Get out of acting and get out of the public's eye.

July 5, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jane

Alec's gray hair just drives me nuts...

July 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  38. MLT

Amazing picture of Alec Baldwin .. He looks so hot with sunglasses.

July 4, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Computer 1 hr behind---don't care he's still hot.

July 4, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bob

what a racist comment by alex!

July 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Peace ☮

Well Alec, If it would be the greatest thing in the world...go for it!

July 4, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  42. sultana

lol anger management with charle sheen

July 4, 2013 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  43. Alvarez

I heard he enjoys dropping a turd on a piece of toast and then stuffing it in his piehole.

July 3, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Linds

What exactly is stopping him from retiring from acting? If he wants to quit I'm sure he has enough money to live on comfortably for the rest of his life. Alec Baldwin is a funny, talented guy but he has a big mouth. He probably should avoid social media–he's not good at it. In the meantime he might need some anger management classes.

July 3, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Suzanne Anastasi

Alec happens to be an intelligent guy and is usually right about what he is annoyed about. The problem is that he has to learn how to express his anger in public. He usually goes off on a rage that immediately people look at him like he is the bad guy. Like with his daughter, the man was right. He was being treated horribly. When a father tells you to do something, there should be more respect. If you are being disrespected by your own child, it can set off all sorts of anger, My father would have said a lot worse than he did and I think he would have been right. It was a family matter and people made too much out of it. Some of that anger might of been due to the relationship between him and his ex. wife.

July 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  46. MB

Threatening to quit social media and acting again? Come on Alec...JUST DO IT! Do you really think anyone gives a rats ass if you quit "acting"? You are becoming the likes of Lohan, Hilton, and Rosie O, etc...more noted for the reject things you do and say. Narcissistic fool.

July 3, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jujubeans

I didn't know he started!

July 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Beezers

Ha! Pretty soon it's not going to be HIS choice to stop acting. His career was over before 30 Rock, and it will be over again soon. Blowhard idiot!

July 3, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. snookie

If he really had that revelation at the funeral, he probably wouldn't have gone off his nut on twitter an hour later. Maybe he has finally figured out he doesn't have the temperament for twitter. He's definitely one who needs to step back and think before hitting that 'send' button.

July 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Yay Alec

NY loves Alec even when he's being a pain in the ass...truth!!!

July 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • ^ Sokman ^ (not the real M.A.P.)

July 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Sokman , you are obsessed with hairy mens behinds. It's really healthy! You can find all the essential nutrients in there. Slurp it up.

July 4, 2013 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  51. El Disgusto

I quit acting before I even started. You can hang out with me, Alec, and drink whiskey while we verbally abuse people.

July 3, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Honey Boo Boo

EVERYONE would love for him to quit acting!

July 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |