Alec Baldwin: Twitter rant was 'ill-advised'
July 1st, 2013

Alec Baldwin: Twitter rant was 'ill-advised'

After lashing out at a Daily Mail reporter last Thursday via Twitter, Alec Baldwin has offered an apology.

Not an apology for his message, exactly - he's still not pleased that the Daily Mail published a report alleging that his wife Hilaria had been tweeting during Thursday's funeral service of actor James Gandolfini.

But the 55-year-old is sorry that his tweeted outrage - which included calling the journalist a "toxic little queen," among other comments - has been perceived as being homophobic.

Among his critics was CNN's Anderson Cooper, who tweeted Friday, "Why does #AlecBaldwin get a pass when he uses gay slurs? If a conservative talked of beating up a 'queen' they would be vilified."

Andrew Sullivan concurred, writing that Baldwin's remarks weren't "just hate speech; it’s a specific call for other people to physically attack a gay man. It’s a call to violence against a specific person, which, last time I checked, was a crime. He’s a pro-gay liberal, so he may get a pass for this. He shouldn’t."

Later that day, Baldwin issued an apology to GLAAD, saying that his "ill-advised attack on George Stark of the Daily Mail had absolutely nothing to do with issues of anyone's sexual orientation. My anger was directed at Mr. Stark for blatantly lying and disseminating libelous information about my wife and her conduct at our friend's funeral service. As someone who fights against homophobia, I apologize."

As someone who's been a supporter of gay marriage, Baldwin continued, "I would not advocate violence against someone for being gay and I hope that my friends at GLAAD and the gay community understand that my attack on Mr. Stark in no way was the result of homophobia."

But to be clear, Baldwin's not apologizing for "defending my wife," as he told Gothamist.

"[T]he idea of me calling this guy a 'queen' and that being something that people thought is homophobic ... a queen to me has a different meaning," Baldwin said. "It’s somebody who’s just above. It doesn’t have any necessarily sexual connotations. ... To me those are people who think the rules don’t apply to them. This guy could blatantly lie, I mean blatantly lie about my wife on the Internet and there are just no rules that apply to him, but that’s outrageous to me."

As the actor's previously said, his wife had left her phone in the car for Gandolfini's service, and thus wasn't tweeting as family and friends gathered to mourn "The Sopranos" great. The funeral, Baldwin said, left a lasting impact on him, as Gandolfini wasn't the type of star who indulged in the celebrity spotlight.

"He went and did his work, he put his energy into his work," Baldwin said, adding that he has no plans to return to Twitter. "He didn’t think to himself, 'Man I gotta have a Twitter, I gotta be Twittering.' I thought, 'you know something? I’m gonna take a lesson from Jimmy Gandolfini.'"

Filed under: Celebrities

« Previous entry
  1. look at

Howdy would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're working with? I've loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you recommend a good web hosting provider at a reasonable price? Thank you, I appreciate it!

July 5, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Amanda Powers

Alec is HOT

July 3, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ShakespeareGal

For those that no longer wish to support Alec Baldwin...

I have deplored Mr. Baldwin's rants going back to his horrible one to his 11 year old daughter, but now I have had enough and am compelled to do whatever is in my power to not support him and those that support him via advertisements.

I switched the channel last night during So You Think You Can Dance last night when Mr. Baldwin Cap One ad came on. I googled to get various sponsor phone and email info and called Fox viewer comments phone # and left a message that I will do this (turn channel) for any show that airs these commercials. I also called Capital One yesterday afternoon as well as emailed them, that I would never use a credit card with Capital One name on it as I would be embarrassed to pull one out. Until they break their ties with him, I will not support their company.

Call and email Capital One and any tv stations that air Alec Baldwin ads with his as their spokesperson and share your feelings and maybe they will do something so we don't have to see his face anymore or support his livelihood.

There is strength in numbers for those that take this same stance.

July 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShakespeareGal

I just called ABC viewer comment phone # after seeing another Alec Baldwin Capital One Ad on the program The Lookout!

What does he have to do in order for ABC to not air his commercials...c'mon ABC, what's taking you so long?

July 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SHE TOLD PEOPLE I CAME FROM A BAD CHILDHOOD AND SAID I WAS ADOPTED...WE NEED TOO HAVE COPIES BECAUSE SHE FANTASIZES...

July 3, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. HACKING ISSUES AS FOLLOWS:

1... WE RESOLVED THE TAX WEBSITE B-TCHES–
    2. WE NEED TOO CONFIRM THE OTHER 3 HACKING ISSUES
    3. WE HAVE DETERMINED THERE IS A POSSIBLE MNTL PROBLEM
    4. SHE HACKS INTO PHONE CALLS THAT DO NOT EXIST AND THINKS THEY ARE ACTUAL PHONE CALLS..THEN REPEATS THEM THROUGH BLOGS....SHE IS ABLE TOO HACK INTO A PHONE AND TELL EVERYONE WHO HAS CALLED–YET SHE WILL RELAY A NON EXISTANT.
    5. WE WANT HER OFF THE LENSE WE NEED HER CUT OFF DATE..THANKS

July 3, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. bex...We are not lonely we are all dating...yours is passing through ours want us...

July 3, 2013 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Everyone said the problem is that she gets away with the sh-t she pulls on everyone...i guess

July 3, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. aj baldwin..come work out with us...530am..

July 3, 2013 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Porker 1

enjoy and have a beer on me.

July 2, 2013 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. CAT

This guy needs to be called out same as Paul Deen! But the liberals will give him a pass of course. SHAME. I will be ripping up my Capital One card now....

July 2, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. TweetLoaf

If you have used TweetLoaf this wouldn't happen!

July 2, 2013 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Carl

Deen lost millions, it's time for Capital One to show its stance on hate speech and dump Baldwin, a truly hate-filled man.

I've closed my Cap One account and will do just fine without it. The pressure on this company will grow - the jokes write themselves with that tag line - and Baldwin will be held accountable, which will be a first. Being held accountable is more than being kicked off a plane but where it hurts the most.

What's in your wallet, indeed.

July 2, 2013 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
    • ShakespeareGal

That's what everyone that doesn't want to support a company that supports Alec Baldwin should do!!

I switched the channel last night during So You Think You Can Dance last night when Mr. Baldwin Cap One ad came on. I called Fox viewer comments phone # and left message that I will do for any show that airs these commercials. I called Capital One yesterday afternoon and emailed that I would not use a credit card with Capital One name on it as I would be embarrassed to pull one out. Until they break their ties with him, I will not support their company.

Call, email Capital One and tv stations and share your feelings and maybe they will do something so we don't have to see his face anymore or support his livelihood.

There is strength in numbers for those that take this same stance. Thank you.

July 3, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShakespeareGal

July 3, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. odiasuda

When did America become land of the meek and home of the whiner? Get over it.

July 2, 2013 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. carlwesleyclark

When he beats that woman half to death don't say you were not warned.

July 2, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. steveb

I am very offended.. the Q Word..seems his word were said last week. maybe he should call Paula Deen for advise.

July 1, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. P

Who threw the first stone ( or in this case started this ridiculous argument ) Don't be surprised when someone reacts after you poke them in the eye. The person who tweeted or posted the lie about Mr. Baldwin's wife should be apologizing to Mr. Baldwin and his wife for publicly embarrassing them and showing them such disrespect. Mr. Baldwin was provoked when his wife name was slurred in the public media Why should the person who started this problem get a pass? Person who use public media to spread lies to the entire world when it involves someone who is a high profile individual should be held accountable. Perhaps a he got off easy with Mr. Baldwin only calling him a name. A shame Mr. Baldwin did not chose to follow up with legal action. This behavior of spreading lies is bullying. Isn't that what the gays are always making noise about.....and yet it would appear this individual is guilty of bullying Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin. Perhaps it is time individuals like this bully be held accountable to the public and be made to admit to his lies and inappropriate behavior and apologize publicly.

July 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tonya

Alec Baldwin broke a number of laws by asking his followers to straighten out a toxic little queen, threatening to kick a boot up his ass, eff him up and then tweeting at George Starks funeral. If anyone should be considering legal action it's George Stark.

This was a crime and it wasn't an alleged one.

July 2, 2013 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  17. Calm down.

Calling someone a "queen" is a call for other people to physically attack a gay man? That's a hell of a leap, and one that can only be taken by headline-seeking pundits with nothing real to talk about. Might as well ban the use of the term "drama queen." At least reality TV would be off the air.

July 1, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carl

It wasn't a leap, the complete comments included a line about "calling on my followers to straighten you out" in addition to the f?$! You up and tweet at your funeral remarks. Baldwin has a million followers on Twitter and some of them live in London (Stark's city of residence).

Inciting violence against someone is the very definition of hate speech - both in the UK and the US. It's punishable with fines and/or prison time.

The reporter made an inference based on Hilaria's tweet time stamps. It was a mistake, and it was acknowledged and the story removed.

July 2, 2013 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  18. goblackhawks

Just more evidence of the double standard .. Alec wishes for the death of a Rep. Leader .. nothing happens , makes an anti-comment nothing happens , talks bad about his daughter .. nothing happens .. all because he is a good little democrate who gives money to Obama and Bill Clinton ... But if he were a REP. I bet his career would be over ... Don't worry ET, access hollywood, TMZ will cover for him ...

July 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. 7 SETS OF EYES.-- WAITING HURRY GOTZ TOO GO

July 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mona

Blah, blah, blah! This idiot gets away with everything, isn't anyone going to hold him accountable? Paula Deen has lost
    pretty near everything, but Mr. Big Snot doesn't even get a slap on the a$$? I think he's a disgrace!

July 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Willie12345

He's protected by the phonies on the left. Nothing will happen to this darling.

July 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. svann

Is it the gays that are outraged over this or the conservatives?

July 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. MAYLENE--WORTH LESS POS HACKER.

July 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Robert

I have absolutely no qualms about someone using offensive & politically incorrect language to defend his or her loved one(s) from lies & intentionally hurtful remarks coming from toxic little queens.

July 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • AnnieR

Thank you! You said EXACTLY what I think.

July 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike harding

Agree. Everybody know mr. Baldwin has a bit of a short fuse, so dont dish it if you can not take it yourself.

July 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dave

Here's the difference between Paula and Alec: Paula is racist and Alec is not ho mophobic. That's why he can get away with what he said and she can't get away with what she said.

July 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Put away the fanboy mentality. Alex was wrong, plain and simple. BTW, since he's not a racist, can he use the N word and get a bye for that too? Idiot.

July 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

You mean when he tweeted out the name of a song that had that word in it? Yeah, I think he can have a pass for that as well.

July 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

July 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. michael

Damage control always includes these half-baked apologies. Mr. Baldwin, if someone ranted toward your son or daughter the way you did towards this man, surely a simple apology wouldn't suffice. I don't have a suggestion as to what you should do to make things better, but you should get started on something more than "I'm sorry."

July 1, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sivid

Ill advised? It was multiple violent, hate filled, gay slurs ... he should be crucified, like Paula Deen rather than rewarded. Sickening. Glad I am not his daughter or wife.

July 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. I got you babes

There is no everyone–its 3 and a part timer...no anger of course but we got you babe

July 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. keri

Some people are hippocrates. Paula Deen gets so much backlash for her comment that she looses her show and sponsors and Alec Baldwin threatens to kill the reporter who reported about his wife using the cell phone at the funeral. People just shrug it off.

July 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. leSSbean

One day I will treat my husband with respect and not bash the window in and possibly treat him human at some point

July 1, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Patricia Montgomery

Im really thinking about paying off my Capitol One credit card and closing my account until they do something about Alec Baldwin – Why isn't Capitol One getting after Alec for his tirades? Cuz they are scared of a bully and they like the media won't do anything about it? Why is this so different than Paula Deen? I don't know, I guess its easier to go after a middle age woman than a cry baby bully!!!

July 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat your middle aged also...gym

July 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

If you can pay off your Capital One card why aren't you doing it? You should never carry a balance on a credit card, that's just throwing away money. Not smart.

July 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • fit freddy

Considering her health and level of fitness I would say she's far from middle aged, she's in the last years of her life. I'd be surprised if she hits 70.

July 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jane

I wonder how the s-x is going with alec and his wife...I would say hot

July 1, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  32. LA-

Alec is just Alec and he will never change.

July 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Wonderful couple

Alec is just a ball breaker we know him for years in ny - that is just his crazy character.

July 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. SLA

Being the outspoken liberal that he is, it is great to see such tolerance from Alec. Typical of the party of hate.

July 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Nice try at dissing liberals loser. Your party the Republicans are the one's working hard on dividing the nation and sending us back to the dark ages before the fcking enlightenment ever happened. Yes the American Talibangelists and Tea party racists are the true bearers of hate in this country. You and your conservative backward thinking christian extremists are ruining all of america's social progress while keeping everyone armed to the teeth. Shame on you and your party of lies and hate

July 2, 2013 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  35. scared

shaking by the minute –

July 1, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Martika

great looking couple

July 1, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Dean

Alec Baldwin????? I thought he moved out of the country when Bush got elected?

July 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. IdiotsAreEverywhere

Give me a break. Anyone playing with their cell phone during a funeral is an insensitive idiot. Alec Baldwin is a first class jerk, and his temper tantrums are legendary. Why anyone pays attention to this moron and his trophy wife is beyond me.

July 1, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I know, right? I mean, if she didn't actually do it, why would he be going on such a rampage against the journalist!? He knows it's true and it's disrespectful, so he just attacks the journalist that mentioned it (btw had he not attacked the joutrnalist – none of us would've heard about this at all). His wife looks like a shallow uncaring person – a perfect trophy wife.

July 1, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Official CNN Moderatortwit

A boat load.

July 1, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  40. Official CNN Moderatortwit

If I was Sarah Palin I start my car inside a locked garage. Simple as that.

July 1, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  41. M.A.P.

She looks like the kind of self obsessed type who would be tweeting through a funeral service – I believe the newspaper report.

July 1, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Ew and she's really fat – but she's obviously hap lipo suction on her face, because you can see only her BODY is fat.

July 1, 2013 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • She's knocked up

July 1, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

No she's not! She's just constipated and eats too much. What a slob!

July 1, 2013 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Fat slobs always find excuses for their fattness. Just admit it, you eat too much – simple!

July 1, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

It's always "Im pregnant" or "My thyroid glands" or some other lazy excuse. Fatties are fat because they have no self respect and eat discusting foods. They cry when they poop on the toilet because they feel like they are loosing a part of themselves.

July 1, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Pregnant women make the best milk...

mmmm....

July 1, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ( o )( o )

July 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Amen

Will Alec Baldwin be punished for this weekend's comments the same way Paula Deen was punished for her 35-year old comments?

July 1, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Total W H O RE

Yeah, because saying n****r is totally on par with "queen" dude, get some fing perspective.

July 1, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • tinlizzy08

Actually Total, Baldwin uttered the N word himself back in February, but of course got a free pass from the media, just like he continues to to this day....his temper is out of control, he called his own child a fat pig, he's a disgrace & yeah let's see the same standards applied...Capital One its time to DUMP Baldwin...its time he pays for his mistakes...but right he's an uber liberal DEMOCRAT so posh on that...

July 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • usual game..monday manipulation trashing..

July 1, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. meryl

Your wife is a jerk Alec! She is a big zero that will leave you with zero!!

July 1, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  44. Dave

LOL @ M.A.P.

Dont you hate when that happens?

July 1, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  45. Official CNN Moderator- Moderator

Please refrain from referring to our readers bowel movements, they could interperate your previous warning as an offense.

July 1, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |