June 25th, 2013

'The Heat' stars laugh off photoshop controversy

When Melissa McCarthy spotted her seemingly Photoshopped face on a promotional poster for her new comedy "The Heat," her first reaction was to laugh.

"I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen," McCarthy told CNN of the image, which sparked a controversy two weeks ago when it made the rounds online.

The poster shows McCarthy posing in character as a hilariously brusque police officer alongside her co-star, Sandra Bullock. The "Mike and Molly" star is still easily recognizable, but her face and neck appear to have been digitally thinned, making her head appear to be noticeably smaller.

"I find it really funny that it became a thing because first of all, it was not like an altering thing," McCarthy continued. "It was like 'Beetlejuice,' which I found hilarious. And then everybody was like, 'This is an outrage.' And I'm like, am I the only one who thinks it's the funniest thing?"

It's true that some were livid that McCarthy's photo appeared to have been manipulated, but the 42-year-old Emmy winner thinks it was more of an honest mistake.

"It was clearly, clearly a goof-up because it wasn't an altered image," McCarthy said. "You mix and match (heads and bodies) - which everybody does, (sometimes) there's a better body position - and at some point that whole noggin got shrunk and put on. It wasn't like the original got sculpted, it was just smaller."

Like McCarthy, Bullock downplayed the drama, noting that "every single poster, magazine ad, photo, has been Photoshopped. ... You have no control over stuff, and sometimes things just go left field, but every single individual has been Photoshopped."

If she had her way, McCarthy would've made her head ridiculously small - and Bullock says she would've asked for a little digital work herself.

"If I could've had control over Photoshop, I would've had them make these big and fluffy and sucked things in," Bullock joked. "I'm suing Fox until I have a double 'D.'"

1. M.A.P.

Fat people always make me laugh. I do feel sad for them tho!

June 27, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. jerrythere

~~wowo~Unbelievab~lMy friend Emily has just married to a handsome rich man. They met through ~~SèèkingRìch.Ç o m~~A Serious millionaire dating for rich single seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet (lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try.

June 26, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sokman

That fat chick is hilarious. I don't know why it is, but all fat people are funny.

June 26, 2013 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. hghgktyiytiyt

Oh… Unbelievable…… My friend Emily has just married to a handsome wealthy black man. They met through ~~~InterracìalFishès.Ç o m~~A Serious interracial dating for black & white single seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet (lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try.

June 26, 2013 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. She is not the fat woman and i am not bullock

The couples who don't do it are just not interested excuses excuses excuses....in my prime it was every 2 days–thank god i still have emotional and physical stamina of a 30 year old....sheesh what's the problem

June 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The couples who don't do it are just not interested excuses excuses excuses....in my prime it was every 2 days--than god i still have emotional stamina

June 25, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Happy Couples: Just Not Interested...

Production is low.

June 25, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. KaliMtg

still happening.

June 25, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Both are bored...

end of story

June 25, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tracie

THEY SHOULD PHOTOSHOP SANDRA POOPING IN THAT BIG GIRL'S FACE! YUMMY!

June 25, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |