Two more 'Spider-Man' sequels coming
Actor Andrew Garfield arrives for the premiere of "The Amazing Spider-Man" in Los Angeles last summer.
June 18th, 2013

Two more 'Spider-Man' sequels coming

It looks like "The Amazing Spider-Man" has a few more webs to sling.

Sony Pictures' Chairman of Worldwide Marketing and Distribution, Jeff Blake, announced the dates for two more 'Spider-Man' sequels - and the schedule extends into 2018.

"The Amazing Spider-Man," the 2012 reboot of the series (which followed three Sam Raimi-directed films in the 2000s) took in over $750 million at the worldwide box office last year. Production is already under way in New York on "The Amazing Spider-Man 2," set for release on May 2, 2014.

Banking on the success of the new series, the studio has plans for a third film to be released on June 10, 2016, followed by the fourth installment, scheduled for May 4, 2018.

" 'Spider-Man' is our most important, most successful, and most beloved franchise," Blake said in a statment. "We're thrilled that we are in a position to lock in these prime release dates over the next five years."

Chances are Spidey fans worldwide are nodding their heads in agreement.

Filed under: movies • Spider-Man

1. Christy Canyon

The entire premise that a radio active/ genetically modified spider that bites you.... then transforms you into a someone who can punch through concrete is absolutely stupid. This premise only works in comic books and not movies. I saw all the Spiderman movies on TV...dumb. And why are all the Spiderman characters chosen from the wimpiest actors ? This guy is by far the most idiotic looking.

June 25, 2013 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lord Toronaga

Spider-Dork is more like it. Pencil neck pompadour boney string bean.

June 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Meh

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

June 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Casey McMahon

The Spiderman Reboot sucked. It was not a good movie. I really miss Sam Raimi and Co.

June 19, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Djsmb

What crack are you smoking. The reboot was what spiderman was supposed to be. Tobey Macguire was the worst selection for Peter Parker.

June 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. duh

dc comics are much better... not that you c_ockf_ckers read physical words on paper

June 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil In The Blank

What are the missing letters? Did you mean to spell 'clockfockers?' 'Crockfackers?'

June 19, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • ※Sadie※

Phil- spit my coffee out on that one! lol...

June 20, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • odiasuda

Physical words, huh? That's probably one of the dumber things I've read today. Kudos.

June 21, 2013 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kevin

These are cash-ins to prevent the license from slipping out of the production company's grubby fingers... and in no way at all worth reporting on.

June 19, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Exactly.

June 19, 2013 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Agreed. If Sony would stop bumlbing about with their attempt to capitalize on the superhero trend, the franchise might revert to Marvel, who could take it from the "ho-hum" to exceptional, a la Avengers. But even ho-hum makes a lot of money for Sony, so they keep producing crap to make mid-range cash, at the cost of angering the fans who'd like a Spider-Man movie that's actually good (from Marvel) rather than overproduced Sony garbage.

June 19, 2013 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. no

June 19, 2013 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. Theseus

Maybe this time he'll finally come out of the closet.

June 19, 2013 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. iBod

The Amazing Spiderman was lengths better than the original trilogy. The acting in the original was bland and unbelievable (lack of emotional appeal). Macguire made Parker boring and cheesy around a script that had Spiderman a character without a purpose (lack of any actual story). Before TAS, I always watched the trilogy thinking there was just something about the man and the mask that I just did not like about it all. When I finally watched TAS, I was able to put my finger on it. The appearance of the suit, in general, and as worn. When I saw the deep red hue on the skinny frame of Garfield, I realized it was the bright red hue on the larger frame of Macguire that was irking me a lot. It matters. Another note that must be mentioned is the believability of the emotional relationship between Peter and Gwen. Gah, I just love it; whereas with Peter and MJ, it always seemed...creepy and strange. Finally, what ultimately makes TAS lengths better than the original three is the arrival of an actual arc being built. The relationship with Gwen; the mystery surrounding the parents; the appearance of MJ; the connection to Oscorp and the Osborns. A trilogy is the standard and certainly not the rule; so, as long as the script stays sensical, I don't see how they cannot arc this version's story into four films. It's there. If it wasn't, Sony would have been a little more hesitant about a fourth installment. Their confidence in one makes me ever more excited to see the direction they are taking!

June 19, 2013 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. james anderson

nerds.

June 19, 2013 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. that one guy-_-

first off i believe in jesus so watch how u talk about him second i personally disliked the amazing spiderman it was an embarisment to film and should not make anymore films...

June 18, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • reiper

1) I could care less if you believe in him or not.
      2) I disagree. I thought it was done much better than the previous series. It wasn't perfect, and there are a few minor details I did like more about the previous series, but overall this one is a lot better. And best of all, sticking a lot closer with the books (minus the father conspiracy aspect but that does make it more interesting in my opinion).

June 18, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOL

You know what's an "embarisment"? Your spelling and punctuation. I hear there's a Dumb and Dumber sequel in the works for ya.

June 19, 2013 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Biff

Jesus is my gardener. He's pruning the hibiscus right now...

June 19, 2013 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  12. angryblackman

if they film it, you will watch

June 18, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Love_Through_Truth

I can't wait to NOT see this. I dont understand the fasination we have with superheros.My 'superhero' is Christ,He is the One and Only Person you need.NO silly cartoons to fill you Up.

June 18, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Alvarez

Great story. I'm going to take a large steaming dump now.

June 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I'm waiting with a blunt knife so that I can sculpt it when you're finished. Try and get it out in one solid piece please.

June 19, 2013 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. keithmoore1

Yay–making a story about a press release! Why are we talking about sequels 3 & 4 when sequel 2 hasn't even come out yet? And could this news be any less inspiring, seeing that we've been getting Spiderman movies for over ten years? The latest one was OK at best.

June 18, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert Gemerek

SO true......the last spiderman trilogy with toby mcquire was good but the new spiderman just doesn't feel like spiderman....like you said it was average at best. perhaps this is why people like Spielberg and lucas are predicting the movie industry will crash....

June 18, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*LawDogg

@Robert...I've been collecting and reading comics since the 80a, and am a pretty big spider man fan....I thought the new movie was FAR superior to the Robert Maguire ones. Different strokes, I guess. But to say it didn't feel like spider man??? It was far truer to the original comics than the earlier ones.

June 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. seattlelibtard

They should bag a couple of those movies and put spidey in The Avengers 2.

June 18, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JULIO PINEIRO JR

The second picture hasn't been released yet; and Sony Pictures is already beating the drums for the next two.
    Go Figure....

June 18, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

So basically said, we can expect 3 more huge shovels full of decaying elephant dung to be dropped on top of the steaming pile of whale turds that was the first amazing spiderman then.

June 18, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. svenghooli

the third one is going to suck....lets see, uhm, multiple villians and attacking his girlfriends again.....snore

June 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Pendergast

Just what we need... Another worthless comic book movie trilogy. Long live the hollywood Reboot!

June 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flappy McBappy

"Worthless" is a funny word to throw around when the franchise you're talking about has grossed over a billion dollars.

June 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Failed IQ test

Uh, Pendergast, four films does not a trilogy make.

June 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pendergast

Dear lord...a fourth movie? Didnt even get that far into this article. My apologies. The uber trilogy!

Worthless doesnt have anything to do with profit. It does however with creativity. Something main street hollywood has lost.

Tons of great books jut waiting to be placed on the silver screen but instead reboots of comic book characters. Thank goodness for the indie directors.

June 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Fanboy Finn

My prediction - "Spiderman IV: The Quest for Peace" is gonna suck, royally.

June 18, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |