John Oliver crashes Stewart's last moment of zen
June 7th, 2013

John Oliver crashes Stewart's last moment of zen

Jon Stewart hosted his last "Daily Show" episode until September on Thursday night, and his temporary replacement, the comedy show's John Oliver, helped send him off.

Before that, Stewart explained what prompted his decision to make a movie based on the book, "Then They Came For Me," by journalist Maziar Bahari.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes,Indecision Political Humor,The Daily Show on Facebook

The book recounts Bahari's three-month detainment in Iran while covering the nation's 2009 presidential elections, and has been turned into a movie called "Rosewater" by Stewart, who wrote the script and will direct the feature this summer.

"I consider it a really great honor that Maziar is trusting me to tell his story, and I just hope dearly that I don't screw it up," Stewart said. "I'm checking in with Johnny Oliver throughout the summer to make sure he's feeding my plants and watering my children. He's going to be incredible, and I can't thank enough the crew here and the staff here for covering for my sorry ass all these months while I've been working on this. I'll miss you far more than you'll miss me."

But in Stewart's last moment of zen, Oliver couldn't resist cutting in.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

The summer host of "The Daily Show," who'll take his seat on June 10, joked with GQ that he understands some will see this is an opportunity not to watch the show, but if they don't they'll miss out on his "big changes."

"There are some people who watch NASCAR for the highly skilled driving—but most people watch it for the crashes," Oliver said. "Yes, it's amazing to watch Jon Stewart in complete control of The Daily Show, but don't tell me you wouldn't also be entertained by watching me drive it into a wall."

Filed under: television

1. i am one of you...

her x boyfriend loved films...however I do not want anything too do with this lesbian...she fights constantly and does not use blogging efficiently or make it fun...she basically ruined it–done with her fights.

July 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nuclear mike

His Southern accent...not sure if he is really one of us as it seems he is from Northern Virigina...otherwise, called the "other country" of Mayor Barry...the DC zone...or maybe he really is a Skull&Bones guy afterall...

July 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. M.A.P.

I watched an episode with him (above) hosting and it was really terriblwe. The jokes fell flatter than a pancake and felt totally scrpted. It also just sounds wierd when a guy with a british accent says stuff like "this great country of ours" and stuff – just seems forced. Producers made a big mistake letting him take the wheel. They could've done what Chelsea Handler did with her show and have someone different do it each day, at least then it wouldn't suck every day.

June 19, 2013 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Socrates

John Oliver is not Jon Stewart. Really? I didn't know. Of course he is not Jon. There are two different people. Are these guys in love of Jon Stewart? It looks as they are. John Oliver is good and this is his first show. I will watch it.

June 15, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rick in L.A.

The only thing better than John Oliver sitting in for Jon would be Sophia Vergara sitting in naked for Jon, and that just ain't gonna happen. GOOD LUCK John Oliver!!!

June 14, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. i tell the truth--how did you get access of my ss number?

can't answer...your not a firsty

June 10, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. thetruthwillsetyoufree

I will not be watching...

June 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. M.A.P.

He's not funny. Colbert rules, Stewart comes a distant 2nd and this guy is in 1,3089345800,000th place.

June 10, 2013 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. HOUSE PHONE AND WHAT ABOUT DOCTOR'S OFFICE SHE'S A FCKING LIAR SHE WLL SAY ANYTHING TOO KEEP HER MARRIAGE.

June 10, 2013 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. THE MARRIAGE EXPERT...HES NOT HOME...

IGNORE HER–

June 9, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Word Press and file crush dates? thanks.

June 9, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ancient Texan

Love love love Jon Stewart and I will miss him. But JO is okay, I guess.

June 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |