Jack White pays tax bill to save historic Detroit property
June 5th, 2013

Jack White pays tax bill to save historic Detroit property

Jack White's undercover good deed has come to light.

The musician and Detroit native, formerly of the White Stripes, anonymously donated money to the Detroit Masonic Temple last month to pay off a hefty tax bill.

According to CNN affiliate WXYZ, the historic Detroit property owed $142,000 in back taxes and was facing foreclosure when an unnamed donor stepped in to help.

On Tuesday, Masonic Temple officials revealed in a statement that White was the big spender who helped save the building, and as a result the Temple's Cathedral Theater will be named after the rocker.

"We could not be more humbled to bestow this honor upon Jack," the president of the Detroit Masonic Temple Association, Roger Sobran, said in a statement. "Jack’s donation could not have come at a better time and we are eternally grateful to him for it. Jack’s magnanimous generosity and unflinching loyalty to this historic building and his Detroit roots is appreciated beyond words."

The statement noted that White came forward to pay off the debt not only because he's played a number of shows at the Detroit Masonic Temple, but also because his mother worked there as an usher when he was growing up. Both White and his mother are said to have "a profound love for the gothic structure."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. How is it the one's i know in their 50's are still active? sounds like too me no interest.

sh-t or get off the pot - that is the reality

June 23, 2013 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. how is it the pale face dude is on his way too regular s-x and the ones in the 50's do it every other day....just sayin

June 23, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Boffettey

At the end of the day the pale face due is boffing someone..thank god!

June 23, 2013 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. Trump

Unfortunately, the taxes will be due again next year.............Many of the old buildings owned by the Moose/Elks/Mason's/Kiwana's, etc will be foreclosed on due to 1 very simple reason: death of the generation that currently runs them. The most recent generation of guys don't have a desire to join these groups. 3 of such bldgs near myself are '4 sale'.......I am 50+ yrs old and don't know of any men who belong/want to belong to these groups, so younger than myself certainly won't be joining them anytime soon.

June 23, 2013 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. These are all the gestapos "driven commands" just laugh at her.

June 19, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MAC

BRAVO JACK.... BRAVO to all you little meanies the intelligence of a knat ...

June 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. first

thanks

June 18, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. PJS

My High School graduation ceremony was held at the Masonic Temple. Nice to hear it's now able to stick around. Truly generous donation!

June 14, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. edgybutsoft

I've been to the Masonic Hall. It is truly a work of art. I knew the organist who played there for years. Got a backstage tour and saw "the wall" that has hundreds of famous signatures on it. There is even a lower level in the building where The Detroit RollerDerby Girls (my daughter was one of them) used to practice. Thanks, Jack! Thanks for protecting this building.

June 11, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Congrats too jack..very nice

June 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. THE BIMBO'S POISON JACK...WE EXPLOIT HER "HABIT"

I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS DESPERATE WASHED UP 44 YEAR OLD SLOB.

June 9, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. T. 1 YEAR I'VE PUT UP WITH THIS AND YOU STILL BELIEVE WHAT SHE DOES?

June 9, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Here's another little secret jack....i knew...

have a great weekend...

June 8, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Married I's...she thinks i'm after the rock star's money....

June 7, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Meh

Go Professor Snape!

June 7, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. THE CRIMINAL POINTS OUT MY BLOGS WITH JOKES...LIKE WE DON'T GET THAT..

STOOPID

June 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • IF YOU'RE BEING HACKED, CONTACT THE AUTHORITIES YOU TROLL

And don't clog the blogs with your incessant whining and nonsense. Either that or get help from a mental health professional. Your raging paranoia is worrisome.

June 7, 2013 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  17. lolatmyboyfriendstat

Reblogged this on lolatmyboyfriendstat.

June 6, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. THERE IS THE HACK CONTROLLING THE BLOGS AGAIN

STFU

June 6, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Profit_more_ham_id

I thought that was a picture of Sigourney Weaver!

June 6, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jack is ordered too keep his mouth closed for a reason.

June 6, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Somebody needs a Valium...

or three....and please wash it down with a bottle of vodka

June 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. CAPS LOCKED, BLOG JUMPING TROLL

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, and STFU!

June 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LMAO AT THE CAPS LOCK TROLL

June 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  24. EVERYONE KNOWS YOUR HACKING FLATCHESTED PIG...

WHO CARES ABOUT JACK WHITE

June 6, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  25. rebecca

Not Anonymous any more!

June 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  26. PMI Advice too jack....you need some privacy...big time.

thanks

June 6, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. derp

That girl needs to get out in the sun a little.

June 6, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  28. ※Sadie※

It is nice to see a Michigander giving back to his state. I was in Detroit a couple of years ago. I couldn't believe how many abandoned buildings there were. Now that our governor has put an emergency manager in there, we will be lucky if anything is left of this great city after they sell off all the assets they can. Just a shame it has come to this.
    Now, is it just me, or could Jack White be Sigourney Weaver's kid. Don't they look alike? lol..

June 6, 2013 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  29. Wrkn 4 da man

Nice work Jack, best thing you have done since that classic Oscar winner Nacho Libre! Please do not follow my comment as I am colorblind!

June 6, 2013 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • esteban

thats Jack Black for nacho libre, duh. This is jack white, someone else, entirely. Please, Know your celebrities.

June 6, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Fifi

Anonomus or not the once great and beautiful city of Detroit can use all the help it can get no matter where it comes from. I was a Windsor Canada girl who spent a lot of time there I have watched this poor city become lost to the crooked Mayors and money grubbers. Detroit needs all the help it can get. It can be a beautiful, vital thriving city again.

June 6, 2013 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  31. pablo

What the hell does your friend Emily's marital status have to do with Jack White bailing out a Free Mason lodge?

June 5, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  32. brenda h

Way to go! JACK

June 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. buongiorno

boo your a moron

June 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Class of '98

I'll give him credit for donating the money, but let's not pretend he did it anonymously.

That said, my hat is off to him. Other celebrities would have spent their energy lobbying the government to forgive the taxes or confiscate more money from the evil 1% to pay it off.

Liberals are always generous with other people's money, but this time Black stepped up and scratched a personal check. Kudos.

June 5, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ...and conservatives are generous with no one's money

especially not their own. The words "generous" and "conservative" don't even belong in the same sentence, lest it be rendered complete nonsense....

June 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Call Me Lucifer

Waiting oh so patiently for your soul. Its mine you know.

June 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.E.

How odd, I'm liberal and I keep my charitable donations quiet. I bankrolled half a local high school dance team last winter and told the coach just to call me "Batman" if anyone asked who donated. That's in addition to coaching another team and refusing a single cent for my work. I believe in giving what I can when I can because I can, not because I crave public adoration. My political leanings have nothing to do with it.

June 5, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. E.

Your political leanings have everything to do with it as far as filthy conservatives are concerned.

June 6, 2013 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • mike hunt

"...and conservatives are generous with no one's money"

actually, a simple google search reveals that quite the opposite is true. Conservatives donate far more money than liberals hands down. Have you bothered to look at how little your dear dictator and vice dictator have donated? its laughable.

June 7, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

I consider myself to be conservative and I donate to things that are important to me any chance I get. AND I am a single mom, making less than $16000/year (which is below the national poverty line for my household, and I receive no government assistance!). I may not be rich, but I try to give back when I can (Mostly to ACS and children's health charities). Sometimes people donate to things out of the goodness in their heart instead of political leanings.

With that being said, my grandfather was a mason and some other men near and dear to me are as well. Kudos to Jack White for using his wealth and fame to do some good for someone else and not wanting recognition for it if he was trying to do so anonymously! MORE celebrities need to use their powers for good!

June 8, 2013 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  35. Martha

Thanks, Jack! You have fans in the D!

June 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  36. hello

hair has too go....he's too cute for this silly style

June 5, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mary

So who is going to pay the taxes next year?

June 5, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • who knows?

The 142 grand White paid were for back taxes, several years running. Next years tax bill will be nowhere near that amount, so hopefully the Detroit Masonic Temple will have their sh-t together by then to pay it themselves.

June 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Dancing Queen

Good on you, mate! More of us need to help the city out. It's our heritage and we all need to step up. I'm moving back to see what I can do – it's so sad to see that city lagging behind everyone else.

June 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  39. keyser soze

jack white anonymously donated money. seems a bit ironic

June 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Hugh Jass

Can't we ban these middle school students from commenting? Or have someone show them how to text each other? My favorite would be if the mods sent the IPs to their school.

June 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

yeah cause reasonable right to privacy obviously means nothing to you.

June 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  41. who is this man.

weird

June 5, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. feckless

Thanks Jack, I've been a fan since you were on skins in Goober in the Peas.

June 5, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Tracie dear take your time.

June 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Generosity

^^^How it should be done...

June 5, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Fisherb6

Truly moving gesture. From a fellow Detroiter, thank you Jack.

Sad how this story gets placed below all of the "news" surrounding Kim Kardashian, Amanda Bynes, and countless other pointless crap.

June 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  46. derp

Why would Severus Snape need a historic building in Detroit? Secret den for a wizarding society?

June 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  47. That was mighty white of him...

June 5, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Boo

Class act is Jack White....

June 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  49. So, anything happen yet?

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat over here. Tell us!

June 5, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  50. M.A.P.

That's hot! I had a dream that I went back to back with someone and we pooped into each other. DO you think that's a health hazzard or is it ok to put someones else's up theere?

June 6, 2013 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  51. El Disgusto

I dropped on of those megaturds in the office restroom the other day. I didn't flush, and just left it there for others to appreciate. I named it 'Nessie' as it reminded me of that old b&w photo of the Loch Ness Monster. My turd was half in/half out of the water, and rather frightening.

June 6, 2013 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  52. M.A.P.

HEy discusto, props to you for not flushing – Im starting a non-profit organization – "Dung Donations" to spread awareness of the preservation of fecal matter. Did you know every day more than 30000 kg of fecal matter are flushed? And most of those innocent turds end up in a terrible dark place where noone can see them!

June 6, 2013 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  53. What's a flatchested pit?

?

June 6, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. edgybutsoft

Thanks. From your comments you have removed all doubt. You are ten years old and enjoy poopy jokes. My, whatta funny lil fella you are. Troll. Come back when you've grown up. sheesh

June 11, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |