Adam Levine: Obviously, I don't really hate America
May 29th, 2013

Adam Levine: Obviously, I don't really hate America

"The Voice's " Adam Levine is fighting off a backlash.

The Maroon 5 frontman and "Voice" coach has been fielding angry viewers on Twitter Wednesday after he let an unpatriotic comment slip during "The Voice's" Tuesday broadcast. As Levine was watching two of his contenders in the NBC competition get eliminated, he muttered, "I hate this country."

It appeared that Levine wasn't speaking with intent, not that it mattered much in the moment as his remark was still picked up by his mic.

That comment set off a wave of unhappy responses from viewers, to whom Levine's been tweeting the definitions of "joke," "humorless" and "misunderstand."

But those semi-explanations apparently didn't suffice, as Levine's also issued a more formal statement.

"I obviously love my country very much and my comments last night were made purely out of frustration," the 34-year-old said. "Being a part of 'The Voice,' I am passionately invested in my team and want to see my artists succeed. Last night’s elimination of Judith and Sarah was confusing and downright emotional for me and my comments were made based on my personal dissatisfaction with the results. I am very connected to my artists and know they have long careers ahead, regardless of their outcome on the show.”

Filed under: Celebrities • television • The Voice

Next entry »
  1. Rose--confused

him or him...

June 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ajam--see u later.

June 4, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JB Clem

He's got a point though. I asked some college students some simple questions. And none of them got the right answer.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kANEWkrcaec&w=640&h=390]

June 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LK

It's true that it was just a slip of the tongue, but most times, so is calling someone the "N" word, and that doesn't fly well, either. While we all know that Adam didn't mean it, and that he does love his country, he had full control of his mouth. I think it's gone too far, but still, he said it, and he should be a little more careful. Now let's move on.... :)

June 3, 2013 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. katydid

Yep, I heard it live and said what did he say?.... – REALLY PEOPLE – there are sooo many more important things to be worried about in this country than a celebrity slip-of-the-tongue! MOVE ON already..... I just don't understand how some people have to hover over everything a celebrity says or does....find something more constructive to do with your time!

June 3, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Matt

Wait...people actually took this seriously and cared about it and the press is fueling the fire and calling it "unpatriotic"?

God, I hate this country.

June 3, 2013 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Alvarez

Time to turn on the turd faucet and splash Adam's face with some explosive diarrhea.

June 2, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • beachpeople

SERIOUSLY??? If anyone thinks Adam meant that statement literally.....you all need to get a life – INCLUDING the press!!

June 3, 2013 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

REally not more important things to write and talk about, he was angry that two marginal singers the country duo stayed in and two talented women were eliminated. He obviously gets really involved in these people and helping htem succeed.
    IF you cant read something more important online go read a book

June 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ginger

I have no problem with his comment, stated in a moment of frustration. To blow this up into a big story is beyond ridiculous. Best of luck Adam and keep up the good work. You are a great artist and a better human being.

June 2, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. JJ

Adam!!
    Come on .............you're a lot smarter than this!

June 2, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • marilyn

He probably remembered this the country where he makes most of his money, that's all.

June 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KB

Doing or saying something in the heat of the moment is not an excuse. He's an adult, he has a fully functioning brain. Think before you speak.

June 2, 2013 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Lol as if you never say something that you regret. Don't act all high and mighty, everyone has been there.

June 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • springsgranny

Wow! It must be hard for you to be so perfect that you have NEVER said anything you didn't feel passionately about. Boy, I'd hate to be you!

June 3, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • CMO

Seriously. Do you think he made his comment because he truly hates his country or because the Voice is a show where people vote for their favorite performer to stay or go home and he disagreed with America's choice just like the millions of others who didnt vote for constestants who stayed. Let's not be stupid people. Other countries are watching.

June 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jimmy

Adam Levine a musician? Use that term loosely.

June 2, 2013 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Rykc

I think he has made this exact comment in every season so far. He is just expressing his frustration with the voting results. People need to stop trying to stir up the controversy. Many people say many things they don't mean in the heat of the moment.

June 2, 2013 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. DSK

Adam apologized people. GET OVER IT! Talk and share about something else. Get a life!

June 1, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Greg

Who cares. It's the phony patriots like the teabaggers who always make a stink about this. The same teabaggers who claim this country is to politically correct when they make a racist comment.

We should end his career just like country radio ruined the Dixie Chicks when they were right? Get a grip people.

June 1, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michele

Not really upset that he said it.. I thought they cut mike and didn't hear him say "music". I can understand him saying something under his breath and meant being about how people are voting.. That is fine.. he apologized right away.. No big deal.. But your point about the Dixie Chicks is totally different, in my opinion. They are in a foreign country and she wants to speak for all of Texas and apologize for our President. 1st off– she was only speaking for her self. 1nd.. You do not and should not bad mouth OUR President in another country. You owe this country more respect then what you gave it. I don't agree with what ever single President has done, but I would defend them and our government when outside of the country.. While I am in the U.S. of A, I may bad mouth any of the President but not out side the country.. Does that make sense.. This country is my home.. It is country is my family (in a way) so I can say what I want about my family and home while there, but outside it I will defend it but not add to the bad perception of it.. Does that make sense.. I use to love them but after hearing what she said and did, couldn't buy any of her stuff again... It just seemed like she was bad mouthing the USA and that is not right, since it gives you so many more rights then the other countries give their citizens..

June 3, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. David

He meant to say I hate American politics. And I agree with him. :)

June 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. sue

GIVE ME A BREAK PEOPLE! DON'T TELL ME YOU HAVE NOT SAID SOMETHING UNDER YOUR BREATH THAT YOU WERE UPSET ABOUT BUT AT LEAST YOU DIDN'T HAVE A MIKE!! AS A MATTER OF FACT I AM SAYING SOMETHING NOW THAT I KNOW YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR!!!!

June 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bev 156

People get frustrated and can sometimes say things sometimes out of frustration.

June 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ncyankee

yes, bev, we do, just like Mitt R said about the 47 %...that got him in trouble also. good post.

June 1, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

No, Mitt didn't say it out of frustration, that wasn't a stressful moment for him, he was speaking in front of his supporters, and said what he really meant.
      Totally different.

June 3, 2013 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jeff

First of all Judith Hill only really sings one style of music. Second she shouldn't have been on the show in the first place this show is for undiscovered talent not pros who have been in the biz forever and have already had record deals its ridiculous.

June 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Seamus

Perhaps he should have said "I hate people who watch and vote during 'The Voice." This would be more accurate. Because they are the ones who voted off his team members. But I think he would have thought twice about calling the people who watch this show stupid. Which, I believe is what he was implying. But I think he would have had the presence of mind not to say something like that into an open mic.

June 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. caryn west

I apologize M.A.P. I directed my comment at the wrong person.

June 1, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  22. Caryn West

Really M.A.P? Get over whatever it is that has you so angry and critical of others. Your obvious hatred is much more in line with characteristics of Hitler than any misunderstood made bv Adam Levine or any other average person or celebrity.

June 1, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jennifer

People need to take a chill pill. I thought the same thing he did when they both got voted off. Besides, you would think people would be used to hearing the phrase, "I hate this country," in today's time. We all say it when we get upset. Easy to take it out on a celeb who can't respond back, isn't it?

June 1, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  24. G

This country may not be what it once was but if you dont like like it here then go back to your mother country and try and make hte same money!

June 1, 2013 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Concerned Sh!tizen

Hey G (or is it T?), did you know that American wages are actually not that good in comparison to some other countries. Australians and Germans earn on average more than your joe blow. Pull your head out of your behind and smell the coffee.

June 1, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. M.A.P.

The tea baggers are like a mixture of Taliban and nazi ideology. They overreact with their fake outrage at a comment like this, while at the same time show the most abhorrent disrespect to the commander in chief. They send poison letters to the white house just because their next george bush isnt in office. Sad sad people.

June 1, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Needle

And you d-baggers are a mixture of a rubber bag, a tube, a nozzle, and a whole lot of nasty.

June 1, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

You need a good douching – you are obviously full of SH!T. Loser Republican.

June 2, 2013 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • David

The Taliban and Nazis? Really? Comparing any significant American political group to totalitarian regimes shows a lack of comprehension of politics or history, and is an insult to the millions of very real victims of those dictatorships.

I should point out that, if the right really were the theocratic dictators you seem to think, you wouldn't be permitted to whine about insufficient respect to the commander in chief, because he would never have been permitted to become commander in chief. By and large, Taliban/Nazi hybrids don't permit elections where there opponents win, and certainly don't peacefully hand over power. The Republicans did both in 2006 and 2008. Unless perhaps you have unrevealed evidence that they've turned into totalitarians in the last 5 years, I have to say you're full of it.

And I am sure you personally showed great respect to Pres. Bush, you and Stephen Colbert.

June 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Goodbye, Freedom

Adam, it's ok, I hate it, too. The MURICA of today bears zero resemblance to the America in which I was raised. It's much more like any of the countries we are fighting, and the teabaggers are making it more so each day. Next year, my child gets to go to school with 'teachers' who are actually poorly-paid, extremely poorly trained snipers. Yes, MORE GUNS AND DEATHS, PLEASE! Instead of hiring security personel, the 30 million will be used to arm teachers. Because they don't have enough on their plates...and it makes SO MUCH SENSE...dripping sarcasm. I miss sanity, and I hate MURICA.

June 1, 2013 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  27. rsquare

is anything adam says really that important?

June 1, 2013 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  28. DOLORES

I DID,T UNDERSTAND, Judith WAS THE BEST PERFORMER ON THE SHOW, I am disappointed she is gone.

June 1, 2013 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  29. jay kim

I fully understood Adam' comment. Judith is great singer. I was so frustrated too. One thing clear is Adam and I are good American citizen and love America.

June 1, 2013 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  30. Lizard Lance

Americans are lazy. Americans are stupid. Americans are fat. Americans watch too much TV. Americans are whiners. Americans strive to be victims. There is much to hate about ths country.

June 1, 2013 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim Watson

Sounds like you're describing democrats, who I guess are about half of the country.

June 1, 2013 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don Henry

No, Tim - he just described about 99% of Walmart shoppers, the majority of which are red state redneck tea party panty waists.

June 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Whatever

I love how everyone is making a huge deal out of one comment. First off, he really didn't mean what he said. Secondly, the USA really isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, it is better than some countries, but it isn't the "end all be all" of countries in this world. If I could, I would leave. Lash out at me if you want. I don't care. I am just speaking the truth.

June 1, 2013 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Sheila

Soo what exactly is keeping you here again?? You could leave, but are probably too lazy not to. I assume you're a liberal who likes to hoover up benefits from our welfare system. Its okay, not everyone can fit in here, and if you don't work hard you aren't going to get ahead, even with Obama as president...sorry. But I would like you to name one country that you actually think is "better" than this one. Canada? Mexico? Cambodia? LOL! Having been to 30 nations, they pretty much all suck compared to the USA. You really come off as a spoiled brat who doesn't appreciate anything, but who knows, maybe you grew up in one of the backwards blue states.

June 1, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michel

THEN LEAVE IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • So much for that pesky First Amendment, right?

You know, the part about freedom of speech? Don't you dare voice your opinion or make one disparaging remark about this country/flag/etc. or it's GTFO, commie!

Ain't 'Murica great?

June 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  32. mad men

what he meant to say was there are too many rednecks voting for all the country singers all the time on all these singing shows ... since theyre a bunch of lazy couch potatoes they apparently have more time to vote than "normal" people !

May 31, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • b lane

Sounds as if adam needs to be banned from the USA and put on the terrorist watch list. How dare this over paid cry baby get away with this type of comment. He should be fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • PJGU

That is exactly what he meant, and I 100 % agree with him.

May 31, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mad Woman

So your blaming people who like country music for the extremelly bad behavior of Adam?????? Why are you such a hater?????

June 1, 2013 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • mrskool

I totally agree with mad man and Adam. The voting public are too stupid to know good singing when they hear it. Just like all the other programs like this (AI , XFactor) its a popularity contest which has nothing to do with the voice. Its all about the little piggies sitting at home watching and voting for the people who are most like themselves. Thats why these reality shows are a waste of space.

June 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Tiffany

So no one that has posted badly about Adam has ever said anything in the heat of the moment that was caused by emotion rather than a true feeling? I know I have- I felt awful for it and wish I could take it back. Give Adam a break- everyone should know that his comment meant he hates how this country VOTES for that MOMENT!

May 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Pat Teranishi

Adam, how could you! After all the opportunities this beloved country of ours has afforded you and your band. Your comments also diminish the talents of the other contestants and their apparent appeal to the American audience. I wish, as I am sure you do also, that you could take your unfortunate comments back. Too late my friend.

May 31, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

Get a life...it was a slip of the tongue in a frustrated moment. Why do people wait for entertainers to slip up, so they can condemn them? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I wonder what you'd be guilty of if you had a microphone around your neck...hmmmm

June 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Norman

just another famnous deuchebag-too big for his britches-take him down a notch and cancel that stupid show!

May 31, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  36. citizenUSA

He should have said, "I hate some people in this country". I doubt that would offend anyone except those who voted against his contenders. Hate is too strong a word for this venue anyway.

May 31, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Shaun Harrison

Adam you are great, don't worry about what these other people are saying. My goodness.......I guess they have never said anything that did not mean, maybe they have never said a bad word. Therefore their life must be just great!!!! You keep singing and judging, I actually watch the show just to listen to you and Blake, ya'll are a riot!!! Love ya Adam, keep on keeping on!!!!

May 31, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  38. pauleky

More faux outrage from the RWNJs. It was pretty obvious what he meant, but with our education standards being in the toilet this response was not unexpected. Grow up, people.

May 31, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. RunningStory

I take the context of his comment to mean "I hate this country('s tone-deaf, crowd-following television-viewing audience of zombies.) I will follow that up by saying that "I hate this country's knee-jerk, overreacting, web-site trolling, sound-bite devouring, ignorant, shallow-minded people who mistake entertainment for real substantive issues".

May 31, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  40. Stupid American

What do you call an American with a PHD in physics and science? STUPID AMERICAN!

May 31, 2013 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  41. SKY

FACT NO PERSON ON EARTH IS PERFECT...WE ALL MAKES MISTAKES IN WORDS AND DEEDS....
    WE ALL HAVE DONE THE SAME OR WORST ...REMEMBER!

May 31, 2013 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  42. Levine is the focus not that other stuff..

its all not relevant.

May 31, 2013 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  43. voted: levine is the focus..daz it.

thanks

May 30, 2013 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  44. LET AMANDA DO WHAT SHE WANTS...SHE'S THE LAUGHING STOCK OF HOLLYWOOD

YOU COMMAND RESPECT IF YOUR THE LAUGHING STOCK EVERYWHERE

May 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  45. the 2 are not going to stop this...

May 30, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Missed Levine

i actually missed Adam on stage this week....can't wait too see him again.

May 30, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  47. You witnessed when the set up began right?

on my way out in 1/2.....told jeannie she's ignorable....

May 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  48. LOOK INTO YH FOR THE FUN OF IT....

May 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  49. WE ARE THE FANS...

AND WE VOTE YES TOO ADAM

May 30, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Marie Dupree

To The Voice – I liked it better in Seasons 1 & 2 – when when the fans only voted in the finals – up to that point it was up to the coaches to determine who stayed and who went. Now it is just another IDOL show !! Why couldn't the producers leave well evough alone??!!!!!!

May 30, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • she's done enuff and lost...

onward we go too the future of positive behavior

May 30, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gordon

I agree. There is so much talent and you have the general public voting on someone's career when they really don't have the expertise to do so. In the finals it should be 1/2 public and 1/2 coaches. Adam's comment might have been " I 'm frustrated with the ignorant American voters"

May 31, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  51. THE M CREW

ALL LIES AND BEING CURIOUS WILL END...

May 30, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. MAY -

AS A MATTER OF FACT WE ARE ALLLLLLLLLL GOING TOO TALK MORE TOO ADAM...HE IS FAMOUS IN OUR TOWN AND WE WANT HIM TOO FEEL THAT WAY....MORE TALKING LESS SILENCE

May 30, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  53. MAY AND THE REST

ITS TIME FOR ADAM AND THE SINGER TO TALK TOO EACH OTHER...WE DON'T NEED A WAR HERO
    THREATING EVERYONE ON THIS BLOG....

May 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. MY CREW

CONVERSATIONS WILL RESUME..THIS IS NOT WAR TIMES HE CAN TALK TO WHOMEVER HE WANTS AND WE WILL BE DOING THAT....YOU WONT BE DIVORCING ANYONE DEAR...

May 30, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  55. who is she some german nazi===

telling people who they are allowed and not allowed to speak with....GET LOST

May 30, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. the gang here

its time .... ignore her she goes deaf on real conversations and repeats the fake ones....voted as ignorable...

May 30, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  57. CL

I actually found it pretty funny. Of course, I rightfully assumed he was referring to all the people that did the voting...

May 30, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • HY

Agreed. I took it as him saying he hated that he knew at least one of his singers was going to leave and that there was no way they could both be safe at that point. Just like when he and the other judges say "I hate this" when they themselves had to choose one or the other themselves in previous rounds.

May 30, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Platonic conversation is not against the law GET LOST

thanks

May 30, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • One or the other threats will NOT STOP THE CONVO...

YOUR NOT GOING ANYWHERE SWEETIE....

May 30, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  58. HY

Adam Levine's comment in actuality had nothing to with "this country" and even a superficial application of critical thinking reveals that. But since so many people seem intent on being literal as an excuse to waive their "patriotism" flag, know this: Anything you place beyond criticism - anything including this country - is weakened by doing so, not strengthened. If you really love this country then THINK.

May 30, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Justin S.

Remember what John Stewart told Crossfire? That it was hurting America by posing as journalism and instead was just a sound board for idiocy?

May 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Sue Hall

"Say what you mean. Mean what you say."

May 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • i guess your are correct....Sue

with some it very easy...with some it is not for some strange reason even at my age....

May 30, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  61. here she goes....

i recently saw your compadre's on wallmart...be quiet and stop being so one way-your always preaching your younger then everyone and have beyonce's butt .....can you not have coffee with anyone other then adam levine === branch out already

May 30, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  62. They both need too see too remain with motown ---

but find other interests......there is nothing wrong with dining with someone other then justin....its very modern and not a big deal for the record label....truth

May 30, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Shay

Typical. American people complaining about how they hate people like this...And yet, shop at Wal-Mart and buy all them cheap Chinese made goods and claim to love America. Yea, does wonders for your children and America when we shop there! LMAO!

May 30, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • someone with a brain comments on these

^^^^^^^^ this

May 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • not shady

it has nothing to do with the children in this respect that's a whole other relationship.....its about you and being happy.....
      your happiness as a wench oh sorry woman...

May 30, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  64. they are not stupid people...

they are smart people -

May 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Adam needs too get out more...

and See how it goes--truth

May 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  66. adele alcocer

I knew when he said this stupid people would react this way.

May 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Dick Delson

Welcome to stupidville Adam. Go live in North Korea if you hate it here.

May 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Alfred

not a big deal what adam did forgive and forget.

May 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Pliny

I get a hard on when other guys don't use toilet paper.

May 30, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Alvarez

I find toilet paper completely unnecessary.

May 30, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Why would i mention a name on trapical phone...

you know adam gets cuter by the minute

May 30, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  72. gah

if you watch this show you know the judges banter and fight when they lose. one judge gets a contestant the other wants and they'll say "i hate you" or something to that effect. they don't mean it. adam levine is the king of that. he was JOKING people. you may get offended by the words but he didn't mean to diss the entire country and all it stands for. he was mad at the american voters, so give the dude a break. if he really hated america he has the money and resources to go anywhere he wants.

May 30, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Tony O

What a great show the Voice has been this year. Every part of the production blows away Idol. Love the singers and the synergy between the judges. My only thought about Adams comment was, could you imagine if Usher or Shakira had made said they hate this country. The tea baggers would have organized a lynching party! Let it all go and lets move the focus back on the remaining singers. I cannot wait to purchase Judith Hills music and whould love to see her live!

May 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Saw what he did...

he didn't mean it--adam is a rare talent since justin timberlake we need to give him the benefit of the doubt

May 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  75. MrsCleaversBeaver

It is a stupid talent show. You twitter folks need to get out of the 7th grade and find something important to complain about like how lame the meat loaf was at school today

May 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Tree

Ease up on Adam, I understand........just think people when things goes wrong in your life or someone you know example work, gov, status one my say they hate this country.....but not really hate the country,its like me telling someone that I hate them because they did something wrong to me. but I really dont hate them I hate want they did or said. The vote did suck..........

May 30, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Jeffjewett

Hate america? Then move like jagger!

May 30, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Sally

I think it slipped out, we all say stupid things. He said he as sorry so give it a rest

May 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Michael

I totally understand where he was coming from. He cares for his singers. He felt they were wrongfully cut. They were. He realizes that the best singers don't win these contests and popular votes by the public should be done away with. I'm a conservative Republican and even though I am a huge Country Music fan I liked Judith Hill and the other girl. They were unique, amazing, and were definitely better than the Swon brothers. Anyone who takes fault with what Adam said are ignorant and misguided. Give the guy a break.

May 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Judy

All the people who are spewing hateful comments about Adam Levine are being totally ridiculous. I bet you are the same people who argue for free speech but only when it applies to you. We all make stupid comments in the heat of the moment. Get over it!

May 30, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Sonia

Those who didn't understand the intent of the comment & found it unpatriotic are morons. Plain & simple. MORONS!

May 30, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Wow

It doesn't take much to get all the nationalistic zealots' collective panties in a bunch, does it? You right-wing extremists need to relax. Maybe all of YOU should leave the country and start you own hate-nation somewhere else. Leave America to the rest of us normals. You won't be missed.

May 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  83. mukazzi

So...if he muttered more specific terminology and verbiage that went directly to the voters, their way of thinking (are they REALLY voting to keep someone IN or making sure someone LEAVES? This is the problem with EVERY reality TV contest that relies on the votes -and not necessarily the viewing public), would you have rather heard that? Is his muttering of this statement (which was more of a collective of several thoughts) any worse than Blake Shelton's (who I DO like as an entertainer) blatant nationalist stance of country music being the "country's music" and all other forms are irrelevant? At the very least, Adam wants to know: WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR JUDITH AND SARAH EACH WEEK? This falls to Adam going back to the producers and saying "Show me the numbers."

May 30, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Michele Bachmann

Like all teabaggers, my pants are full of sh!t.

May 30, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  85. joe bloggs

This guy is overrated anyway and will never be in the R&R hall of fame

May 30, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  86. trumod

The First Amendment applies equally to all. even those who say dumb stuff with a mic in front of them.

May 30, 2013 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  87. Courtney

Count me in I hate America too.And no I'm not a Muslim.

May 30, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  88. mark

I'm as patriotic as they get, but come on here... he just made a stupid comment under his breath. Same as saying "I hate you, or I hope you die,. or go to hell. He obviously didn't mean that literally. If everyone's comments in life were dissected, then all of us would be in trouble

May 30, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  89. mlb

OMG, he really has to DEFEND HIMSELF here? How fricken stupid. Are you people who are getting all upset freakin morons? Wow.

May 30, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • JB

Apparently, most of the folks on here haven't bothered watching most of the season. The coaches and the host have had this 'playful hating' banter running the entire season. I understand his frustration, and I also get it was a flippant comment.
      But, for the record, I agree with the results. (And I don't think the show's "rigged" like folks are claiming on here. Considering that this is, technically, a game-show, it would violate Federal law to rig the results.)

May 30, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  90. SKY

FACT: WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES - LIKE ALL YOUR FCUKIN' MOMMAS!

May 30, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  91. A sore loser--too the girls

here is another trick: the ole madge knows all

May 30, 2013 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  92. We know the same girls and those girls love too talk....

we love music

May 30, 2013 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  93. Travis

And the backpedaling begins....... what a coward. If you don't like this country – LEAVE. You won't be missed.

May 30, 2013 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • T487

Likes to Travis and Sore Loser Adam–Brentwood brat all grown up and sulking that people don't agree with him. Must be tough on $35 mi/year in music and clothing/fragrance lines. Buy a ticket...buy the plane...buy an island and populate it with only people who agree with you. The US is not your kind of country. You don't deserve it.

May 30, 2013 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  94. Adam Levine

is a talent .... he has hit after hit and we all love him and we hope his success lasts forever because he deserves it.

May 30, 2013 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • BarryG

Of course you love him, you idolize him...he feeds off that and eventually becomes the typical spoiled entertainer that can say anything...and I mean anything..and you give him that. Good for you. I choose not to put them on a pedistal and worship them because they have a hit, after hit, after hit. It's a free county, free opinions, he can actually hate this country if he wants...but we don't have to like him for it. Quid pro quo. I won't be buying any Maroon 5 tickets in the future and will mute his conceited butt when he talks on the Voice.

May 30, 2013 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  95. Ken from FL

Obviously, Adam meant to say, "I hate this country . . . music."

May 30, 2013 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • BarryG

Adam said what he meant...this country and it's voters who don't agree with him. If he meant country music he would have said it that way. I guess if you are a tiny pop star, singing falsetto, and having a small manhood below the belt, it's easy to find fault with those who don't agree with you.

May 30, 2013 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Guess Levin's apology isn't good enough for the so-called morals/values crowd. The man doesn't hate his country. Stop being so self-righteous and judgmental. You're not perfect, just full of hate and interlorance and ready to pounce on the slightest mistake. Levine doesn't need you. He'll continue to have millions of fans and make lots of dough.

May 30, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • moon627

EXACTLY !! He HATES Country Music – like most people with ears !!

May 31, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Travis

Adam Levine could have picked his words better, but I understand his sentiment (and no, tea-partiers, I'm not a liberal flag-burning commie). The sad truth is that the decision to keep one contestant and eliminate others is entirely a backstage decision. The idea of fan voting is just a way to engage the audience so that they'll tune back in next time. It's a brilliant marketing gimmick if you really think about it. Nevertheless, the handful of people who actually do make these decisions keep a close eye on the trends that can potentially raise their ratings. Half of this country is made up of red-state conservatives who enjoy country music, but still watch the Voice, even if they don't vote. If you're the producer of this show, and you have a field of contestants who are mostly pop singers and only one or two country artists, it's a logical decision to hold onto that minority for as long as possible so as not to alienate such a large portion of your viewership. If that means sacrificing some truly talented singers in favor of keeping your ratings high...well, that's an easy decision, isn't it?

An industry insider like Adam Levine knows exactly how the process works. He knows exactly why his favorite singers were bounced and why the mediocre ones stayed. There are too many people in this country, of all walks of life, who will overwhelmingly prefer singers they find to their personal liking rather than the ones who are truly gifted, and the powers-that-be who pull the string behind the scenes are well aware of that fact and will decide accordingly. A more accurate statement would be for him to say that he hates producers...but he's not about to bite the hand that feeds him.

May 30, 2013 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken from FL

Interesting theory. It couldn't possibly be really because folks like country music and Blake's team has some of the best performers. If you think country music is a minority, you need to get out more, especially out of the Northeast (or California, perhaps?).

May 30, 2013 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • BarryG

I actually don't prefer country music, but there is no mistake in it's huge popularity...it constistenly out sells pop, rap and rock combined. So elite americans in the big cities, need to give due and respect, even if it's not your cup of tea. Check billboard lately? Once they went with real sales and not made up for the pop music industry, country is the money maker.

May 30, 2013 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Travis

@Ken & Barry

Read my comment again...I said half of this country is red-state conservatives who enjoy country music. I'm well aware that country is huge and that it is nearly as ubiquitous as pop music. But if you watch American Idol, the Voice, X-Factor, and other similar singing shows, the vast majority of the talent is geared toward pop music simply because that's where the market is. Generally speaking, country music fans tend to stay loyal to a small handful of their favorite singers, where as pop fans seem to jump on the bandwagon of the latest craze every other week. As a result, you have a field of talent that is mostly mediocre pop singers and only a few country artists who nonetheless are truly gifted. There are obviously exceptions – there are many talented pop artists, and lousy country artists do exist, but the constant demand for new pop acts means that these kinds of shows will always favor that trend.

June 2, 2013 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  97. Santana

What's the big deal here? He is human, got frustrated and it slipped out. He is not on the show for money, doesn't need, so he is not just sitting there being nice a waiting for the paycheck. He cares. Adam is a great person.

May 30, 2013 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm in a different world of married people..

your modern i guess even though your all the same age.

May 30, 2013 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • kat

Couldnt have said it better myself. I love Adam and thought it was funny and sweet that he was so upset with the voters for not saving his people.

May 30, 2013 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • all his people are there and more...

what planet are you from kat-its a madhouse now.

May 30, 2013 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  98. Cashmere

People just love to criticize celebrities don't they? It's obviously not a joke but an expression! He hates to see these talented contestants have to leave because of their votes not because of their singing abilities. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill

May 30, 2013 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  99. Baby Announcement all over the web and your having a boy...

have you seen this....

May 30, 2013 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  100. Sore Loser Adam

Adam Levine obviously doesn't believe in the democratic system that made him and his music successful. FANS decide what they want by viewing songs on youtube and buying music. The same with the Voice. It's why they call it Popular music. Lately, all of his songs are formulaic pop kitsch designed for the adulating teenage girls so I don't understand why he HATES the country . Come on–it was not a joke. Instead of an earnest apology, Adam sends us patronizing tweets. He is a hypocrite and a charlatan. I will not listen or buy his music anymore. I used to be a fan of Maroon 5.

It's so depressing when someone who lives in the lap of luxury and largess hates us regular folk who are just trying to eke by on a meager middle class income and enjoy ourselves in our spare time by watching the Voice.

May 30, 2013 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Wow

For someone posting on a news website you are increadibly ignorant. Talk about OVERSENSITIVE!!!!! SO now YOU are the boss of what is or is not allowed to be joked about? You think he honestly HATES America? DO you think he's a terrorist now too? 1diot.

May 30, 2013 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Travis

You seriously believe that fans determine the outcome of these talent shows? That has never been the case, nor will it ever be the case. American Idol, X-Factor, America's Got Talent, and all other shows like this one have utilized the voting system as a way to generate fan participation, which translates into much higher ratings, which is the ultimate goal of any prime-time television show. The choice to retain or eject a particular contestant is 100% in the hands of the producers. I do believe that fan votes may influence these decisions to one degree or another, but they are not the deciding factor. If a contestant is disliked by the fanbase, but has the potential to generate publicity or extra drama in a later episode, that contestant will remain (i.e. Bristol Palin on Dancing With The Stars). Conversely, if a truly gifted singer cannot be marketed to a wider audience for one reason or another (Susan Boyle of Britain's Got Talent), then they will never make the final cut. Show businesses has never, nor will it ever be in the hands of the viewers, and any belief otherwise is just naive.

May 30, 2013 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  101. Timothy

That is good you do not hate America but here is a "Voice" of truth, we hate you. So get on your "Pay phone", and buy a one way ticket outta here.

May 30, 2013 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Who is "we?" No doubt you're a hateful rightwing nut with all your so-called morals and values. You and your crowd are what's wrong with America – full of hate. Adam will get past this – you can count on it. He'll be fine.

May 30, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  102. Robert

I hate that America needs for him to explain himself. This is why we're no longer a great nation, but a nation of cry babies and attention who-res.

May 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

I agree.... nobody here should pretend that they are blameless and have said something in the heat of the moment that they truly didn't mean... grow up!

May 30, 2013 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Out of all the marrieds i know....they all found that attention related

May 30, 2013 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • mlb

Agree

May 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Christy

You CANNOT change what he said with your lame interpretations. It is what it is. Hate is a STRONG word to "joke" about the place and people that have given you everything from your education to your undeserved fame. "Character is what you say or do when noone is looking" right? The facts are that more people like the other singers. It is not all of Americas fault. He ALSO directed his comment at the very people that voted for his singers and the ones that buys his albulms. I'll bet the people he represents aren't as forgiving as some of you because it WILL affect his record sales. :)

May 29, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

You complete 1diot, what part of the article did you not understand? When did the word Hate become excluded from all jokes/frustraiton etc. Get over yourselves, America is nice but you guys take this patriotism WAY TOO FAR!!!

May 30, 2013 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  104. Alvarez

I would like to enhance his finely coiffed 'do with a special butt mud concoction that I'll personally rub into his hair. Upon completion I will then stuff a few well formed trouser twinkies up his nose.

May 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Marc Baumann

The voice is actually a popularity contest between Non-Country music and country music

May 29, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Ruby

Get a grip!! Love that he is that passionate about his group.

May 29, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  107. T42M50

its time for us too stop listening too these bloggers and get off this tool....my friends said they further the gap if we do not try-–who cares about this crap....its not communication between 2 people....

May 29, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • It's time for you 2 to STFU

And take it somewhere else...else the tool gets rammed up your asses...

May 29, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  108. di

is not going too stop what is right-i know more about you makeup girl then you do.

May 29, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  109. diane

oh cmon people get a grip..First we all know country music is not Adam's favorite genre..second of all..he could have meant the way people in the country voted....who cares? he is a person..not a GOD

May 29, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  110. ambsteve

It was obvious watching the show and hearing the comment that he was just upset that his members didn't get nominated. The people who are taking offense at that passion are the ones who are in the wrong here and are making trouble where there is no trouble. Those are the people who are honestly just looking for something to complain about...and are the same people dragging down society making people afraid to say anything at all.

May 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • The I Crew

say the same thing...they are just looking for something too complain about and why...they do not even know the reasons anymore....Adam step in so we can stop

May 29, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • The J Crew

are wearing lightweight wrinkle free khakis, pique cotton polos and canvas slip-on boat shoes.

May 29, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  111. T42M50

May 29, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Adam is not a thought in my mind---this is all women

Its not like the entire world does not know at this point which 3 it is.....because everyone is watch them at all times attempt to set me up.

Adam and I need too make this effort .... Adam are you there...the time has come...people do not want us too hate each other anymore.....

May 29, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  113. She sends me tweets every freekin day

May 29, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  114. maria turcios

I didn't take his comment as an offense,it was in the spare of the moment we all say stuff we don't mean,don't worry @AdamLevine you're not an ugly person it's a contest and I freaking thought the same thing

May 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  115. FAT ASS UPDATES FOR TODAY--HACKING

1. CAPITAL 1 TRAP ACCOUNT 2 TIMES
    2. HACKED INTO FAKE PHONE CALLS
    3. ITS THE SAME FAT FILTHY FAT ASS..

THANKS

May 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Funky town

control. Self control. Remember what happened to the Dixie chicks?

May 29, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  117. AdamFan

This young man has made hit after hit after hit.....i love his talent will watch him forever.

May 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  118. M.A.P.

I get to watch.

May 31, 2013 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  119. M.A.P.

And you should get your Hitler lovin ass back to Germany.

May 31, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  120. Fleur

I am willing to go with him :D

May 31, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Jessica

Yeah he should go back to where he came from - California. Might want to do a little research first. I don't know why people are taking this so personally, I took it as a joke since the judges of the Voice are always joking around. Get over it people.

June 4, 2013 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  122. iheartyou

Oh for goodness sakes! Can't people just express frustration with something without it being a national catastrophe. I say "I hate this country" every time I watch reality tv (If Honey Boo Boo isn't enough to make you question the sanity of Americans then I don't know what is). It's just an expression with no intent behind it. I love being an American, but I certainly don't have to like everything about it. Nothing is perfect – not even this country. It's amazing to me that when people exercise their free speech (you know, one of the things that makes this country so awesome), they're criticized for it and called un-American. You should be much angrier at the politicians that are constantly lying to you, bankrupting our economy, and getting us into wars. Those are people who are showing by their actions that they don't like this country. Oh, wait, but they wear American flag pins on their lapels so it's okay. Sigh.

June 4, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  123. andrew

The reason why so many people want to come to America is because they're tired being taken advantaged by a world capitalist system, highlighted by its never ending search for profits, which creates a cushy life for some at the expense of their cheap 3rd world labor.

Regarding Adam's comment, I sometimes dislike this country, and I'm in the U.S. military. Just as I go to war for our freedom, I also go to war for dirt bags who flip me off for doing the speed limit. Just as capitalism has created a decent standard of living in America, capitalism's race for profits hasn't distributed this standard of living elsewhere. Just as Adam loves the values this country represents, Adam hates how this country has a lack of talent recognition [Judith Hill should've won =-)].

June 5, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |