J.J. Abrams offers up 'Into Darkness' shower scene
May 23rd, 2013

J.J. Abrams offers up 'Into Darkness' shower scene

"Star Trek Into Darkness" had mixed reviews, but there's one scene in particular that the sequel's creators are re-thinking.

At one point, Alice Eve's Dr. Carol Marcus is changing and appears in her bra and underwear, but without an explicit reason.

It was so random that MTV's Josh Horowitz pointedly ask co-writer Damon Lindelof about it. The scribe's response - that there's a very good answer, but he wasn't telling - didn't go over so well.

Lindelof also took to Twitter on Monday to say that he "copped to the fact that we should have done a better job of not being gratuitous in our representation of a barely clothed actress," although Chris Pine's Kirk was "shirtless in underpants in both movies," Lindelof continued. "Do not want to make light of something that some construe as mysogenistic ... What I'm saying is I hear you, I take responsibility and will be more mindful in the future. Also, I need to learn how to spell 'misogynistic.'"

When director J.J. Abrams appeared on "Conan" Wednesday, he, too, admitted that he could see his critics' point.

"The intent was, it's Kirk, who's sort of a womanizing character. The idea was to have a beat like that in the midst of all this action and adventure where he looks and doesn't look away," Abrams said. "I don't think I quite ended the scene in the right way, but to me it was a sort of balance. There's a scene earlier where he's not dressed either, so I felt like it was sort of a trade-off. Some people did feel like it was exploiting her. While she is lovely, I can also see their point of view."

But Alice Eve and Pine weren't the only stars to show some skin. This movie's villain, Benedict Cumberbatch, also stripped down for a shower scene while filming the latest "Star Trek," and Abrams brought it along to Conan O'Brien's show (to get straight to it, skip ahead to 1:25):

Although Cumberbatch was clearly taking "a shower of evil," O'Brien pointed out that all the scene really needed was a soundtrack change to get the full effect.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Star Trek • Summer movies

1. The Praetor

I think the plot justified it because she had to change into some sort of other type of clothing to go down to the surface of the planet and deactivate the torpedo. Great movie anyway.

June 19, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nanners

What the hell, the whole blessed movie was a cliche. This is what bothered people? This is what happens when you take a broadcast channel producer with no interest in doing anything more than cliche and make him the producer of one of the worlds most iconic MOVIE films. NO BALLS Hollywood.

June 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dorky White Guy

When I saw Alice Eve in "She's out of my League" in her underwear I knew Hollywood had finally got it right. I believe it should be a law that all films contain Alice Eve in her underwear – story line be damned. In fact, all films ever made should be revisited and a scene of Alice Eve in her underwear be inserted. For instance, Harry Potter. If one were truly a wizard the first thing you'd conjure up would be Alice Eve in her underwear.

May 28, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HE SAID NO CONCERN SHE NEEDS A MAKEOVER...

FINE

May 27, 2013 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  5. It will be a mission impossible...but worth the time

May 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. that's him girls...yep

May 25, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. I'd like to get too know technocruise.

yea...its been long enuff

May 24, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. I heard she's still heavy...

that true?

May 24, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gem

While I get the scene as Kirk's character development into a roguish charmer, the directing could have been better and less less flak-worthy, by conveying her state of undress somehow other than a gratuitous full frontal. They could have shown her upside down face close up between her toned bare legs when she is in the process of bending down. It would have been far more comical and suggestive too ;)

May 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TechnoMistress

"I don't think I quite ended the scene in the right way, but to me it was a sort of balance. There's a scene earlier where he's not dressed either, so I felt like it was sort of a trade-off. "

Really? Eve's character tells Kirk not to look, he knows she's changing and he callously violates her trust in order to cop an eyeful, as opposed to him being voluntarily in bed with two women and us getting to see his bare chest as he sits up. Oh yeah, that's balanced.

May 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mark

I believe that Kirk has a child with Dr. Marcus? Is this not correct? Maybe it was Wrath of Kahn? So I guess it was a hint for tghe audience at what was to happen in the next film. Either way, it was lame directing for the scene

May 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bamador

Correct. David Marcus in "Wrath of Khan" and "The Search For Spock" is the son of Kirk and Dr. Marcus, however Kirk has no idea. In the original time line Kirk leaves Marcus to go back to the Enterprise and she never tells him.

June 12, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. M.A.P.

Man, that shower scene looks hot... I hope he drops a turd in there mmmm.

May 24, 2013 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Shawn Chesak

It is a good thing that there are no other horrendous things going in in the world for people to get worked up over and that the most horrible thing to spend one's energy fretting over is this actresses attire in one brief scene of this movie. I mean, these people should be happy that this is the biggest thing for them to spend energy fretting over, there could be much more atrocious and heinous things going on in the world...but I guess there isn't. Or maybe they are misplacing their energy which would be better served worrying about things that actually matter?

May 24, 2013 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Although I agree that there was an over-reaction... one of the "horrible things going on in the world' is the treatment of women in many corners of the world (and evidently in the US Military) – so yeah.... maybe YOU are over-reacting to the other side's over-reacting....

May 24, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • marin

Looks like you are using a lot of misplaced energy bi+ching about it. Hypocrite.

May 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • I like boobies

great scene!

May 26, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • tom has nice pecks.

yep

May 26, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. jorgensen

Uh, I'm pretty sure 87% on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.3/10 on IMDB doesn't equal "mixed reviews"...

May 23, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wow...TC looks great in that shower scene...

ha

May 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Gross

I thought the Alice Eve's bra and panty scene was totally relevant to the plot, and in fact IMPROVED the overall quality of the film. Why I rent or buy this on BluRay, I will be pausing that scene for minutes at a time, just as I keep returning to this article for the attached photo...

*FAP *FAP *FAP *FAP *FAP *FAP *FAP *FAP...

May 23, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • moribundman

Alice Eva's state of undress was the highlight of this film. I am giving one enthusiastic, uh, "thumb up!"

May 24, 2013 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Half naked woman? Puh-leeze...that's icky. Now that naked man in the shower....mmmm.......

May 24, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |