May 7th, 2013

Judge has a meltdown on 'DWTS'

The judging panel on "Dancing With the Stars" reminds me a bit of the celebrities on the '70s version of "Match Game."

Bruno Tonioli is the 21st century Charles Nelson Reilly, who peppers his sarcastic wit with enough double entendres to make network censors blush.

Carrie Ann Inaba tries to play the Brett Somers to Tonioli's Reilly, but she's more of a hybrid of Joyce Bulifant and Patti Deutsch - someone whose sage advice is often overshadowed by "dumb blonde" moments and non sequiturs that make viewers scratch their heads.

And then there's Len Goodman, who plays Richard Dawson to a tee. Dapper and cheeky, Goodman can be your best friend and trusted advocate.  But like Dawson near the end of his "Match Game" tenure, Goodman tends to "lose his smile" and goes off on anything and anyone.

Such was the case on Monday night's "Dancing" episode, when Goodman went off on Tonioli and Kellie Pickler following the country singer's paso doble trio with Derek Hough and Tristan MacManus.

Tonioli and Inaba loved the performance, but Goodman criticized the routine as nothing more than "flashing lights and crashing music." Goodman then took aim at Tonioli, making a bizarre remark about his hindquarters that has to be seen to be believed. You'll have to watch the video above to check it out and help me translate what Goodman said - I've watched it four times and I'm still unclear.

Goodman gave "Team Kellie" a seven for that paso doble, while Inaba and Tonioli awarded 10s.

In addition to the trio routine, the six remaining couples had to perform a traditional ballroom dance. Disney star Zendaya was again the belle of the competition this week, earning the first perfect 30 of the season with her salsa trio.

Her overall score of 58 placed her two points ahead of Aly Raisman and three ahead of Pickler heading into tonight's elimination.

What did you think of Goodman's meltdown, and who should get the boot tonight?

1. jules

I have only watched a few episodes this year because it's clear Len has picked his favorite and it isn't Kellie. This Zen????? girl can dance a wee bit but she can't hold a candle to Kellie. If fans pick the winner it will be Kellie, if the judges pick, it's a toss up. Len's constant criticizing of Kellie could cost her the win. Too bad. She's really very good.

May 20, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. draperslob1draper

STFU ALREADY....

May 16, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. stfu mandy ...the whole dam world knows its you...

go do something constructive....i have had outside machines for months now...

goooooooooooooooooooooo

May 16, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. stfu mandy ...the whole dam world kmows its you...

go do something constructive....i have had an outside machines for months now...

goooooooooooooooooooooo

May 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dani3l

Goodman was critiquing not Kellie Pickler's performance, but Derek Hough's choreography and staging. Hough has been with DWTS long enough to know that Goodman, especially late in the season, downgrades routines when he feels gimmick has displaced actual dance content.

Also realize that the judges are performing, too – playing caricatures of themselves, in effect – to enhance the dramatic value of the program.

May 16, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jujubeans

Carrie Ann Inaba needs to start throwing out some double entendres. That'll get my putter up!

May 14, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. show is waste of time

How about the show just be taken off the air. It is not entertaining and has been on way longer then it needed to be. I would rather them now show something that stimulates the mind. Reality shows, dancing and talent shows are overated and outdated. NEXT!

May 14, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dancing with the turds

Poopin all over the stage!

May 10, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. the dancers

it was a business discussion...i did not view this as serious...

May 9, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. the gent said nothing...on my horn..thanks...

that's the entertainment business.

May 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Meh

pull the plug already

May 8, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SeeSan

Both judges are the best in the business .... it was a business dicussion...that is show business if you can't take criticism
    then shut the tv off

May 8, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. margaret

Nobody is hated dear...they are professionals in the business and have a right too do what they did..

that's show business-len's major is ballroom dancing and knows what he is doing for the 35 years..thanks.

May 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. marci

len should rot in hell,spiteful ba-–. like it or not derek is the best.len needs to apologize, ,and stop playing favorite to that rediculous zeynana,or whatever her name is .if you don't have derek you don't have a show.len you are so HATED.

May 8, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lisa S.

Len tells Bruno that since he can only talk when he stands up his vocal chords must be shoved up his ass. (Paraphrasing.)

May 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Martha

Len is doing is job. He does not have favorism. Leave the man alone and let hime do his job. You are a bunch of crying babies. Get a life.

May 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. marmot

ah yes...singing which reminds me i have too run too the car because this nutso teenager has a gig.....the kids find out your home and they never leave you alone....a little while ago she starts crying saying that she will not survive without MI Randa shut up.....kids today...

May 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. gigi

Len is a professional dancer judge he is right. But you are a bunch of kelle's friends she is not all that beside she is a dancer and singer sobit.

May 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. I have my dish tonight just in case...

i am able too see what everyone is doing, i have 5 million stations so i can sit and cry all night along while everyone is having fun by tme...

May 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. big deal

so he's gay big deal...many men are this is not the first one.

May 7, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Pliny-troll wins...not Pliny

thanks

May 7, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Linda

Thanks Patty for your support. Everyone knows that Kelli should be the winner. I agree with others, you can tell who the judges pets are, and who isn't. Just when I thought Len was being decent and Carrie Ann was being a B......, then Len turns around an throws a big stupid stinking fit. He praised Ali and I thought her dance was not up to par. Maybe we see more than they do even if we are watching on TV

May 7, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

I have never really gotten into this show – 'So You Think You Can Dance' is a far better program in my opinion. From what several of you have stated here, I'm not missing anything.

May 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sokman

I used to watch the match game in syndicate a few years back. Those were some drunk, coked out looking and acting celebrities. It was hilarious

May 7, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mad Scientist Too

I thought Jacoby was underscored on his trio dance as well even if the judges didn't hurl insults his way.

May 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jerry bouchet

When Len seen that Kellie Pickler was the star of DWTS he couldn't stand it that his little brat Zendaya was being out danced and ABC also has a vested interested in seeing that Zendaya wins so it will up her stock and theirs too in her Disney work. Its such a shame that Kellie Pickler has worked so hard and has a perfect score robbed from her but apparently that is what is going on. I look for Len to stay crooked all the way through so he can appease ABC.

May 7, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

I truly believe Len is gay.

May 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

"When Len seen...."

Really? Most second graders would tell you, Jerry, that the proper grammar is "When Len saw..."

Grow a brain, loser.

May 7, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Here!

I can't believe anyone takes this crappy show seriously. Some people will swallow anything the networks dish out. Fifty years from now when people see this show, they will have to wonder just how stupid our society was.

May 7, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teacher...

publicity stunt.

May 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Linda

Well I see marriage has not softened Len, maybe he needs to go home. Tonight it would make my night if that DISNEY BRAT went home, you can also send ALI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty

Linda, my sentiments exactly. I've wished for Zandaya (brat), to be eliminated from day 1. I will continueto vote for Kellie & Derek every way I can, & hope other people will do the same. She is the BEST dancer.

May 7, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • MARY MARY

Len is all bent out of shape because he has the hots for the Disney brat and he knows Kellie is a much better dancer. And he is also jealous of Derek because he is the best dancer on the show. That's why he is always so hard on them.

May 8, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Pliny

And I have triumphed.

The mindless drone, who is soooo boring that all he can post is the same 'poop joke' day after day after day after day after day....

...has finally mutated into a Pliny-troll.

Victory is mine!

May 7, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Sure, Pliny. We believe you. It's just a Pliny-troll. ;)

May 7, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

I've read some of your comments on the other articles, Pliny, and if anyone is a troll here, it's you. You are a strange, demented, immature and mean-spirited person. Something is definitely wrong with you, sir.

May 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

I gave a stool sample to my doctor this morning, and kept some of it to snack on later. Or, I may just rub it on my pee pee.
      I know - I am a coprophiliac.

May 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. caralee2010

He said, "You can't talk without standing up. Your vocal chords are stuck up your a**." Or something quite like that.

May 7, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Analystgirl

Caralee2010 thanks for printing out what you heard. that seems to be the $20,000 question....exactly WHAT did Len say? I replayed it several time last night and got nothing. I think I agree with Len though....there did seems to be a huge emphasis on lights and noise, rather than the dance specific's themselves.

May 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. boo -- was that your ring?

just for that see u soon.

May 7, 2013 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  30. marmot

the italian one on the right is gay....len is not

May 7, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  31. agreed--They need too wipe out the 3 and start over...

thanks.

May 7, 2013 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  32. Cheryl

This season is full of surprises, mostly the immaturity of the judges. It might be time for them all to be replaced and the focus back on DANCING.

May 7, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  33. Pliny

This happens a lot with gay men. We sometimes have meltdowns with little provocation and for seemingly no reason. It's probably hormonal.

May 7, 2013 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  34. palintwit

Bristol Palin wanted to be on DWTS again but the producers told her she had to lose 400 lbs. first.

May 7, 2013 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  35. Pliny

Charles Nelson Reilly is my fabulous role model and idol. I have modeled my entire life, my very persona after him.

May 7, 2013 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |