Lauryn Hill at work on new music
April 26th, 2013

Lauryn Hill at work on new music

Lauryn Hill's been in the headlines for financial troubles lately, but a silver lining appears to have emerged from that cloud.

The Grammy-winning artist revealed in a message posted to her Tumblr account Thursday that she's working on new music, something her fans have been clamoring for since her 1998 solo album, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."

Last July, the singer pleaded guilty to tax evasion, and was in court for a hearing regarding the case earlier this week.

On her Tumblr, she explained how a new record deal was part of the story.

"It has been reported that I signed a new record deal, and that I did this to pay taxes. Yes, I have recently entered into an agreement with Sony Worldwide Entertainment, to launch a new label, on which my new music will be released," Hill wrote. "And yes, I am working on new music."

She goes on to say that she's been fighting to maintain "existential and economic freedom," and that she's entered into "a deal that better reflects my true contribution as an artist, and (purportedly) gives me the control necessary to create a paradigm suitable for my needs."

"I have been working towards this for a long time," Hill continued, "not just because of my current legal situation, but because I am an artist, I love to create, and I need the proper platform to do so."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. That was the main question of the musician's meeting was...

how did the 2 singers get the social for the tax website-best of luck lauryn....

May 9, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tax Website Coward s

the police know its the wrong 1 and lauryn presented the right one.....but the police question was?

how did the 2 women get the social security number...

May 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Animals DT

a gift from the boys...have too admit they are disgusting...

May 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. My Comments...You don't have too alert West Coast...thanks

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooooooo

May 6, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The hacker of mandy is the worst con job in history

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 6, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Orange lipstick1

She's a little fugly in this shot...

May 6, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. 50hack50

shut up lauryn ...put some makeup on...

May 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ED

I would LOVE to hear some new music from her. I miss her. The MisEducation of Lauryn Hill is one of the greatest albums ever made. I just hope she changes her look a bit.

May 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Belieber

Lauren who?

May 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Boo

Maybe if she'd stop popping out babies like a dumb rabbit, she would work and make money to pay her taxes...jeezy creezy...some people are just plain stupid.

May 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. QueenVelveetaJamimaLaqueetaTelmaColenderDaKeeshaaLaPorsha

Oh Lordi lordi, dis mud duck be stewpids!

May 2, 2013 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. TORRANCE ROSE

LAUREN GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK.TO SPIT THAT KNOWLEDGE OUR RACE NEEDS.STAY AND DONT LET THEMS DEVILS TRAP YOU THIS TIME .YOU BLESS AND THEY NEED YOU TO MAKE THE MONEY. GOD KNOWS.

May 1, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Social Security Number

she's far from broke...they are breaking down the attic now...hahahahaha

April 30, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Duane in Fremont

Isn't she broke now? Owes the IRS a fortune? Of course she's working on new music and going to be friendly for the first time in a decade... she needs the money, fans, and media attention. I agree with the fsjunkie, she squandered the chance to be the female face of R&B AND Hip-Hop because she let her ego get the best of her.

April 30, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. fsjunkie

Lauryn Hill truly squandered an opportunity to become legendary in music. This woman should have AT LEAST had the success of Beyonce. I can make a list a mile long of very talented people who didn't take their rightful place when it was their time...it's not always there waiting for you simply because you remain talented. Luckily for her, she has a GREAT opportunity, because there is absolutely no pure talent out there doing what she at least USED to do.

April 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. shesouncensored

Reblogged this on SheSoUncensored's Blog and commented:
    Can't hear what it sounds like.

April 29, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. cant hold god ppl back that long.....

I LOVE Lauryn! I'm so happy she's making new music on HER own label. I stil listen to Miseducation every week....it's that dope. Lauryn, let the haters hate! They might win some, but they just lost one! I will be the first person buying the new album!

April 29, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • QueenVelveetaJamimaLaqueetaTelmaColenderDaKeeshaaLaPorsha

Oh lordi lordi, ye be goins full chimp!

May 2, 2013 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
    • BW

she is just a good/god person as the leader of the klu klux klan- A racist is a racist. Black, white it doesn't matter, judging or putting someone in a category because of their skin color is RACIST-

She came out as a RACSIST in the 90's and those quotes have not been forgotten.

May 9, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  18. GERRY

You go Lauren...don't worry about these haters. You had your children and they're a blessing! Continue with your career my sister. You're a great singer..a natural born singer so don't worry about these unhappy people here that's spitting venom because they have 'NO LIFE". Jah bless you always...ONE LOVE!

April 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Alucard

Looks like a young Oprah back in 1799 when I last banged her.

April 29, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Meh

I hate to generalize....but....please, hold a note for longer than 1 second without needing to roam a 2 octave range just to show that you cant hold a note...nevermind, i wont be impressed after all...

April 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Hotel Orange

Lauryn will have the full 9 months of rest she needs for the baby and we have the perfect hotel for it.
    have a great day all...

April 29, 2013 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  22. Drugs are a bad thing

but we are going too help...because that's what we do help criminals.

April 29, 2013 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  23. you the public were able to put me in radius of my hacker.

take care hoe

April 29, 2013 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  24. you the public lead us closer too the criminal hacker

thanks

April 29, 2013 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  25. Wrong again dear.

performance caused us to confirm u're less 20miles away from me....

April 29, 2013 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  26. Bears

Man! she looks bad right now. See what happens when you stop your career for some man and having his babies. She looks like a bad version of Lady Sings The Blues (Diana Ross) high on drugs. Diana looked better acting high than Lauryn looks sober. Damn!

April 29, 2013 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  27. Pros for Peace---3 Hoe's No Talent Meetings...Pray for Life

thanks

April 28, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  28. Pros for Peace---Abusing the singer is not relevant and it must go away...

3 hoe's

April 28, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  29. friends family all have sandwiched in---

have a wonderful day...talk too everyone tues. morning!!!

April 28, 2013 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  30. Went for all set up conversations===

Back In Accounts==Hacker Updates Hoe

1. heard all set up convo's drugs, personal lives -no names ever mentioned so there for its the criminal
    2. no hangups
    3. back in accounts

April 28, 2013 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  31. Stephanie

I'll believe it when I see it!!!

April 28, 2013 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  32. SMU

Translation – I am forced to work to pay my taxes. I don't want to go to jail. I'm pretending to be passionate about music since Sony fronted the money. They own me. I'm lame

April 27, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kolya

Oh la la, the queen's back.

April 27, 2013 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  34. *** IMPORTANT NOTICE***

This blog is not intended to be a forum for jokes or comments about bodily functions. If you wish to make said remarks please go to the CNN ‘Light Years’ Blog. Your cooperation is appreciated.

April 26, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |