Was 'Idol' eyeing J. Lo to replace Mariah Carey?
April 24th, 2013

Was 'Idol' eyeing J. Lo to replace Mariah Carey?

Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" might not be the only Fox singing competition headed for another season of change.

The Hollywood Reporter heard whispers from sources close to production on the network's "American Idol" that the series was considering swapping new judge Mariah Carey for former judge Jennifer Lopez.

Lopez departed the competition along with Aerosmith's Steven Tyler in 2012 after two seasons aboard the series, but THR notes that she did cultivate a solid fan following.

The hope, the sources said, was that another panel shake-up could stem "Idol's" low ratings this season. Last week, the veteran reality show was beat by a repeat of CBS' "The Big Bang Theory."

"Idol," with this season's new judges Carey, Keith Urban and Nicki Minaj and mainstay Randy Jackson, was watched by 11.9 million on Thursday, with a 2.9 rating in the adult 18-49 demo. Over on CBS, the "BBT" repeat at 8 p.m. had the larger rating, with a 3.0 in the 18-49 audience and 11.2 million tuning in. An episode at 9 p.m. had a 3.2 rating in that demographic and 10.8 million watching.

However, a rep for the Fox show told CNN and THR that any word of a plan to replace Carey with Lopez "is just another ridiculous 'Idol' judge rumor, likely started by talks of Jennifer [Lopez] performing on the finale."

Carey's team similarly denied the gossip to the magazine, and the show's executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said that he hasn't been "included in any conversation regarding replacing Mariah with Jen this season."

THR hints that Carey isn't the only one who might be in consideration to be replaced, as Minaj hasn't been a major hit with viewers, either. What do you think - should "Idol" change its judges panel again? Would you want to see Lopez return for more than just a performance?

Filed under: American Idol 2013 • television

1. Mike H.

I should be appointed judge. I know when someone sounds good singing the phone book, and I know who is IN IT TO WIN IT!

May 11, 2013 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jaydyn

I think Carrie Underwood should be a judge!!!

May 10, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. THIS IS STICKY FINGERS ALSO....BETCHA 100 BUCKS

THANKS SO MUCH

May 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Review, Confirm and Nail the 2 conference call in 20 min

done with the mission

May 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. review, make sure and nail her.

thanks

May 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Florence

I can't decide who is prettier: me or the two woman in the photo. I'm thinking me.

April 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LOL

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL ...

April 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Enie

Nikki is the one that needs to go. All she can talk about is the persons clothes, hair, shoes. She really has nothing worth saying. Keep Randy, Keith, Mariah.

April 25, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • vetteman

it does not matter who they have as judges, but if they continue having so many commercials, viewership will decline. Currently it is a commercial with occasional entertainment thrown in to break up the monotony.

May 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • thats her fault.

=

May 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jamiesha griddine

well at leats she gits the looksand the voice better than the other poeple o american idol! lol

April 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. M.A.P.

I really dont get why everyone hates Nicki, I think she's the best judge on the table and is the only one not afraid to upset the crowd. Mariah has been the BIG disappointment. I mean she usually sums up her critique with one lously word like 'AMAZING' or 'Inspirational'. Is that whhat the executives pay her millions of dollars for? One word? I have one word for Mariahs judging attemp – 'PATHETIC'!

April 25, 2013 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Ginger

I agree, at first I thought Niki was out there, but the more I listened to her the more sense she made. Mariah is an awesome talent and a beautiful woman, I just wish she would learn how to walk. She acts like she has to pee. LOL
      Keith well Keith doesn't have to say anything just smile. Randy could just use a new catch phrase. DAAWWGGG

May 10, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. Maybe people are just tired of American Idol.

I mean, it's been on TV for years following the same format, few of the winners actually become "idols" of any magnitude, and the copycat shows are fresher and slightly better. AI has had it's day, and it might just be time to fade away.

April 25, 2013 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Really?

How out of touch are these producers that they think that it's Mariah killing the ratings, and not over-saturation/that thing that calls itself "Nikki"?

April 25, 2013 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. SKY

FACT: THEIR GOAL MARIAH CAREY, IS TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD ABOUT YOURSELF.....
    WILL THEY SUCCEED? WHEN YOU GIVE YOUR BEST, IT NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR SOME.
    SO THEY TRY TO HURT YOU WITH THEIR WORDS.....AND WORDS DO HURT.
    FOR EVERY PAINFUL WORD THERE IS ALWAYS A HEALING WORD.

April 25, 2013 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. Edna

Since American Idol change Paula it was a bad idea.... After that is bad choices after bad choices I stop watching the show looooong time ago season new female judges OMG I can even comment about them well results speaks by themselves ..... But I love The Voice I Like Christina and Ceelo but I LOOOOOVE SHAKERA AND USHER.....LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT....

April 25, 2013 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Alvarez

Perfect night – a large Mexican meal followed by a massive steaming poop.

April 25, 2013 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. joek

At least Carey always speaks last.. Producers make it easy to fast forward past her

April 25, 2013 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. justme

Replace Minaj! She is the reason I didn't wach Idol this season. She sux. And so does Carey. What were the producers thinking?

April 25, 2013 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  17. JpxName*

This is such an awful show, I wish it would go away!

April 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

I have never watched it since I feel it would suck. Not wasting my time on such stuff.

April 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Name*Silverblue

American idol is yesterday's news. The voice is better and the viewer's are tuning in. As for the X factor, a loser from day one.

April 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. lash

Get rid of Nicki

April 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Barb Ann

Not enjoying this season as much as previous ones. May be the judges, or just tired of the show all together!

April 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mariah Lopez

they're both untalented people.

April 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • big richard

Wrong! JLO has a talented a$$ and Mariah has talented ( o )( o )

August 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sgs

That's ashame or a Heartbreaker cuz Mariah is a true talent! I love Mariah! Also, I think she's a fine judge. I hope its a rumor? In any case, Mariah would do best to Shake It Off....

April 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mitt Romney

Get rid of that trash ghetto ho Nikki!

April 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Angelica Michele

Mariah is pretty much the ONLY reason I watch Idol! I haven't tuned in since the first season, after that I didn't care up until recently when Mariah was starred on the show. She has the credentials to be a judge! I can't imagine another "judging"! If she leaves, so will I. Minaj? That's a whole different story!

April 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Babba Booey

I enjoy taking romantic dumps in the moonlight.

April 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. rosethornne

Perhaps if they tried something radical, like having judges who could actually qualify as contestants......

April 24, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Or go pure rap – Lil Wayne could be a judge. People might tune in hoping to see him wig out on sizzurp. Might even catch some shootin'.

May 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. stunned

My family stopped watching. We did not enjoy Nikki. She is obviously jealous of Mariah.

April 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. The Coz

Honestly, I think Nikki Minaj is rude and offensive. I have no plans to watch Idol as long as she is a judge.

April 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. X 27

I really can not stomach Nicki Minaj. She has ruined the show for many of us ex-Idol fans. I'm not sure why they are concerned with the age 18 to 49 demographics though. This season appears to have been specifically targeted at 8 year to 15 year old females. Very few others are actually watching Idol this season. Minaj has ruined it for them.

April 24, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tim

Nikki is just horrible. Zero talent and mean. We'll go back to watching once she os off the show.

April 24, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

It almost seems insulting to the contestants to let Nikki Minaj be a judge. She is not a singer. Minaj is just a word rhymer / rapper who's work seems to be created in a studio using electronics. I'll admit she is a "celebrity" but then so are the Kardashians. You wouldn't want them as a judge, would you? Minaj can't instruct of give the contestants advice because she has no talent herself. AI this season is a zero.

April 24, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ethrupious

I have always watched America Idol. The main problems is the method on how the constants are judged and selected to move to the next round. First, the judges are not judges but weak commentators. They do not speak the truth on how a signer can improve. For instance, this season they speak of Amber as being a star, yet the judges have not told her the truth. She has not improved this season. Her problem is, she sings without conviction she just sings the song. She lacks the emotional voice range and tone to capture an audience, she has a weak lower registry. Yet, Candice is an excellent singer, only one just thought she was good early in the season. Nicki is not a adequate judge, she has no musicality to rate or judge a singer. She is hurting the show badly. No matter who is judging they must judge not seek to be famous.

They must change the methodology how the top candidates are selected, the top five should be the judged solely by the audience. When the bad singers beat great singers and become the American Idol, the show loses creditability. Look at Philip Philips, look at the one who beat Adam Lambert. If the audience are the main judges, then we as the audience do not need the judges, what they do is talk and have no impact; replacing them mute. Why don't the folks at American idol speak to someone that really likes the show and love to hear music. Look at the show The Voice, the judges develop the singers not talk about how good they look.

April 24, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Amy

I live in a Nikki Minaj free home. If she is on a program we turn the TV channel. I don't care who replaces her, just as long as someone does.

April 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • david

We record the show and watch 45 minutes after it starts and always skip any segments with pig Niki. Pig Niki not withstanding, we feel the judges make a decent contribution. We really don't care who wins or loses, we just like to hear and see the new talent America has to offer. For us it is not about the judges, just the kids, and of course Ryan – a real class act.

April 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Barry Dingle

I don't like the show but I appreciate and respect all of the women judges' boobies. Even those on some of the contestants.

April 24, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cassandra Sabbatical

I find your comment to be juvenile and offensive. It's also somewhat gay, but not in the good kind of gay way.

April 24, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan

Me too. I think it sounds gay. Yep.

April 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babba Booey

I also enjoy boobies.

April 24, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carpet Munchkin

I like gay boobies.

April 24, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jujubeans

Especially JLo's boobies!

April 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • big richard

Mariah's are bigger ( o )( o ) but JLo's are perfect ( . )( . )

April 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fun Fact

Did you know that posting material like that in a public forum can be classified as a form of molestation? If a child were to come in here and read that and it was subsequently reported... Hope for your sake you're not on a public, work or school computer because you could be branded a s e x o f f e n d e r for that. Good Luck with that!

April 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • FAIL ↑

That was neither:
      1.) Fun, nor
      2.) a Fact

April 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Anthony

this show needs to be taken to the woodshed and turned into splinters.!

April 24, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. sitsitali

randy jackson should be replaced. he's been saying the same comments for the past 12 years like in it to win it, yes yes yes. you're the bomb, too pitchy, etc.

April 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Alex

Nicki has been amazing on the show, and I am sure the producers love her talent for judging in an articulate/honest manner. If Mariah can bear to get along wtih Nicki, then things likely could be better. Otherwise, I would like to see Nicki and Keith return with a new judge to fill out a group of 3.

April 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Shar

Yes, there needs to be a total shake up with AI after this season. Randy needs to abandon the sinking ship! He is making it worse. You know what he is going to say before he starts!

Nikki Manaj is brutally honest, but still her lack of talent and inexperience does not qualify her to judge the dog show at West Minster Abbey!

Mariah gives freaking dissertation after every performance! ENOUGH already!

Keith Urban is pretty good and should stay. He is humble and definitely not a diva!

April 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Lorrie

Get rid of the god awful nikki then i'll go back to watching it worse judge EVER!!!!

April 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Barry Dingle

Wha?

April 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Steve

First of all why would they bring back a judge that was already fired for bring on the lowest TV ratings in Idol history??????? and second, didn't JLo herself say she quit Idol because she was to busy making new movies and music albums??? Well it’s been a year now and haven’t seen anything yet which confirms her story that she was really was fired from Idol, and third , Jlo and her team, better start worrying about what her ex limo drivers has to say to FBI investigators about what knows about Jlo and her manager Benny Medina illegal activities that he witness and lost his job for knowing too much, that brought on a 20 million lawsuit against him to keep his mouth shut, which JLo and Benny Media lost in court last year??? We can only image what illegal activities Jlo and Media did to enhance her career????

April 24, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Sickamundo

I just call DHS on you, Dario. When they find out what repulsive things you are doing for $87 an hour with 2 small kids at home....well, let's just say you're going away for a long time and good luck ever getting those kids back.

April 24, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |