April 24th, 2013

Colin Firth: Hollywood's best kisser?

CNN's heard from many a star that Colin Firth knows how to work a kissing scene.

Mention that to the Oscar winner, who next appears in "Arthur Newman" with Emily Blunt, and you'll see a man who fully owns his talent.

"I'm not remotely surprised," Firth joked with CNN upon hearing that his lip-locks are well-respected in Hollywood - although that tidbit was news to a pleased and proud Blunt.

The Brit pair's new movie tells the story of a man (Firth) who fakes his death and takes on a new identity in hopes to leave his old life behind, and along the way he teams up with a woman (Blunt) who's doing the same.

The roles demanded some spit-swapping between Firth and Blunt as well, but the actor found that his co-star's smooching actually reminded him of a man.

"He compared me to Matthew Goode when we did our kissing scene," Blunt dead-panned.

"He's been my best so far," said Firth, who starred in 2009's "A Single Man" with Goode. "That was a big compliment."

The two are clearly comfortable ribbing each other, although they'd only met once a while ago.

"We met once years before through my now brother-in-law, [my sister Felicity's husband] Stanley Tucci ... we all had a few drinks in New York," she recalled. "Colin seems to remember me being very demure and sweet and then said that he found me to be the complete opposite when we started working."

"When I wanted to work with Emily Blunt it was that Emily Blunt," Firth kidded, as Blunt laughed. "This respectful, sweet, rather composed [person] ... and I got this."

The two will show off their (pretty natural) comedic skills in "Arthur Newman" when it opens in limited release Friday.

1. jessica

I agree that Colin Firth is a good actress but a bad kisser the reason i say that because he never kisses any one and he trys to act like he is kissing blunt the woman. and has any one read on Deanna respons?

May 19, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Deanna

I have been reading these articals and one of them hit me like i felt like i wanted a boyfreiend who would do that with me and i am listening to love story by taylor swift right now and that also makes me wish that i had a boyfriend, but i dont have a boyfriend. and i just had a devorce which my ex said he would have my child when my child is still in me and i cant seem to get his image out of my head and he wont leave me alone he is a basered because he is a abuser he kept hitting me across the face and threatening me. but i left the state. i want to hide from him always.

May 14, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Deanna

I agree That they both are alsome kissers and i agree that i have not seen any kissing sences and my mom kissing list is 1 you 2 all you 3 always you. my mom always says that i a pain in the but i always am a pain i like to read every ones coments and putting coments on there i also love to read other things like this and its always a pain because your stuck at home and cant go any where and cant see any thing i still want to go on strick to befree and not have to be stuck at home and not beable to see any of your friends and cant beable do any thing exept do chorse and be in your room and you cant go out side your house i think parents are rude and there no respect in them no love exept to boss you around no one would help you stop your mom or dad or both but when you go on strick you get out how you feel and what you are doing. DONT YOU AGREE?

April 29, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

Personaly I don't know any scenes where he was kissing anyone)

April 27, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Florida Mama

IMicheal Douglas and Richard Gere are both awesome kissers !!!! Does anyoneagree?????

April 25, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Deanna

my mom says that he is not famous in her opinion because he not funny or acting right, but then he is in my opinion because he's hot and cute. my mom only has time for 1 person everyone and that her way of say she is a careing loving person.

April 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. J. Davis

Personally I think Kris Kristofferson is the best kisser around. If you haven't viewed "A Star is Born" with Streisand, you need to. He is so sweet in that movie and sooooo romantic.

April 25, 2013 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. GulpOff

This crap is funny:-D

April 25, 2013 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sokman

About 60 per room, 80 if the carpet is really dirty

April 25, 2013 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. KP

That's only cause those idiot Hollywood directors refuse to give me a callback :p

April 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Grace Rose

He's definately kidding. If you actually watch his movies, he never plants a kiss and many of his leading ladies are trying to hold him with their arm or hand to kiss him while he fakes it. It's one of my frustrations that I want him to really kiss the girl so I can enjoy it vicariously. He didn't touch Mathew Goode's lips. Our imagination does the work for him. He's still my favorite actor and I own all his work.

April 24, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Letty

Agree...I am a big big fan of Colin Firth. I have never seen him give a leading lady a full kiss. He tries to act like he does, but he never parts his lips. He holds back and I've often wondered why. Maybe he's considered a good kisser by the ladies because he's not slobbering all over them.

April 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Adam Mangold

Colin:
    My mother loves you. My mom's top three kiss list is:
    1. You
    2. You
    3. You

She watches all of your movies 24/7. One day, she wants to meet you.

April 24, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Babba Booey

That's hot.

April 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. happy pants

I crappped your panties took

April 24, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sickamundo

Whaddya charge for a Cleveland steamer?

April 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |