Selena Gomez's bindi draws criticism
April 18th, 2013

Selena Gomez's bindi draws criticism

Selena Gomez's performance of her new song, "Come and Get It," at the MTV Movie Awards on Sunday has received plenty of attention ... but not all of it has been positive.

To some, the 20-year-old singer's bindi, worn on her forehead as part of her costume, was insensitive.

Get More:
2013 MTV Movie Awards, Latest Movie News, Selena Gomez

Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, who is the President of the Universal Society of Hinduism, said in a statement that the bindi carries a religious significance that's "not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects as fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed."

Gomez isn't alone. The bindi, sometimes also called the third eye, hasn't been an uncommon sight in Hollywood, as other stars like Katy Perry and, perhaps most memorably, Gwen Stefani have been seen sporting bindi on their heads.

For Zed, that's problematic because it wasn't "created just for Hollywood’s usage to add dramatic [e]ffects, as some sanctity and spirituality was attached to these."

In the statement, Zed asks Gomez for an apology, saying that "as a renowned performer, she should get acquainted with the basics of world religions."

A rep for Gomez has no comment in response to the criticism.

« Previous entry
  1. George

As a hindu I find nothing objectionable at all. This individual has not right or standing to make any comment on this matter. Please carry on.

May 13, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tim Hurley

Who gives a rat's ass?

May 10, 2013 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. Stick Movie

i worked for a black guy from your town....you know nothing about selena...shut up

May 6, 2013 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Doug

Pretty pathetic. She might as well have worn an Indian head dress and threatened the audience with a rubber tomahawk.

May 5, 2013 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • ap

There is no issue on wearing a Bindi.The dude is just trying to get some attention.I am a Hindu and again there is no issue wearing a Bindi-Go Selena-

May 6, 2013 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Filth

almost done

May 5, 2013 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. the mind is just not strong enough

selena did not do anything wrong and she's not a coward

May 5, 2013 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel Johan Mackie

My friend Collin Gray is trying to contact Selena Gomez, can anyone here get this message to her.
    It is a youtube video of him asking her to our Army Ball when we get back from Afghanistan.

Here is the video link: http://youtu.be/lxsHPtOoRp8

May 4, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. scooby24210

Seems quite clear from scanning all the posts here that VERY few have a problem with Selena wearing the bindi. As has been pointed out, it's largely worn much like jewelry or make up, even by girls & women in India. It's also worn by Bollywood actresses in less than "innocent" or spiritual scenarios.

Since it seems the bindi does not hold the same spiritual or religious significance as it may once have, there is no merit to the argument against her or anyone else wearing it. I actually think it brings the focus to the eyes, often one of the most striking features of a woman. We have freedom of speech & expression in this country so she is not breaking any laws. Even if she were performing in India she would have the right to wear it. IF it held the same religious significance it once did centuries ago, it MIGHT make a little sense that people were upset. In today's society though & especially in THIS country, it's a non-issue.

I don't recall Gwen Stefani catching hell for wearing one but I DO recall a video of theirs being pulled because it upset Native Americans. That's another situation where people got bent out of shape for no reason. People REALLY need to lighten up!

May 4, 2013 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. Internet display will be fixed today

thanks

May 3, 2013 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Juliska

Google Rajan Zed's name & you will see that he's just a publicity grabber who tries to get his name out there wherever he can, but he doesn't represent any critical mass of Hindus. The reporter here was not doing a very good job of getting at the truth but *was* good at stirring up false controversy.

I'm not Hindu, but I've been to India twice & my child was adopted from there. Wearing a bindi is more akin to wearing earrings, nail polish or eye makeup. They're cheap & you can buy stick-on ones anywhere over there. They are *not* "caste marks" as many Americans think.

May 3, 2013 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • I am Who

Rajan is an idiot. I am Hindu and while they did have a heavy cultural significance, this has long ago changed. They did relate to caste, wealth, importance and a host of many other things, the specifics I am not aware of. Frankly, I think Gwen Stefani looks hot with the bindi on her head.

May 3, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Her last name starts with an S -- her name is Anu S.

May 2, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. i use to work for a woman named anu? is that you?

May 2, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anu

Oh please !! third eye ! give me a break, she looks beautiful, does not need to apologize for wearing it and being a hindu for all the 14 generations that I can trace of my family, I think the hindu statesman should go to the himalayas in some remote cave and live there. Most women and girls in India wear them as ornament. He doesn't ask the bollywood actresses to apologize does he ? Can't stand these guardians of religion .. hellbent on getting their two seconds of fame.

May 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. the Scorned Wife

break ups are bad...but selena is beautiful she'll find another man

April 30, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. I agree...

there was nothing wrong with breaking up with Justin Bieber..that is life!

April 30, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Some people's kids...

How is this any different than a certain group of bikers who ride loud motorcycles, leathers, and have crosses all over their jackets. Some of them maybe atheists.... I am not a fan of Selena Gomez but I think Rajan Zed is definitely over-reacting her. It's called freedom of expression, get over yourself and grow up, Raj.

April 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

I completely agree. I am a Hindu myself. There is absolutely no reason for relating Bindi into any religious sentiments. In India where maximum hindu population resides, it's a part of daily make up for many women. In conservative hindu families it;s a aprt and parcel of women's attire and bulk of the modern , progressive hindu families leave it to women to wear it or not. Sad to see in a country like USA there are people like Ranjan Zed who just want to portray hinduism as a non-mainstream religion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing bindi at any occaission and any women can wear it.

May 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The Scorned Wife

get help dear....nothing is going too stop this machine from talking

April 30, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. We got you---

thank you for walking into the sh-t bag Selena is not talent

April 30, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. ReligiousNut

I am a hindu (well I don't know why they call us hindu but anyways) and I do not agree with that statement by some hindu organization regarding whatever is on her forehead. We have no rules whatsoever. God does not care. Karma is the word. Everyone is free. That's "hinduism". Don't tell other people what to do and what not to do, whoever you are stupid Razan. You are just someone trying to get some attention. This should not even be on CNN.

Just to remind this Razan guy, God himself once incarnates as a seductive woman. Boy, hindus are no religious nuts don't make us look like it. Selena Gomez is cool! :D Indians are doing all that all the time on their movies and this nut is telling Selena not to do it. Why don't you try to stop it in your home country first if you can hahahaha. (Hint: Don't do it, it's bad karma for you.)

April 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Saroj Kapoor

I am a Hindu. I fully agree that anybody in the world can wear Bindi. Only ignorants will object. We should ignore

April 28, 2013 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • FactSlinger

ReligiousNut: "I am a hindu (well I don't know why they call us hindu..."

...and here is where you opinion became invalid. sit down.

April 30, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sorry facto--your a hack

thanks for letting me talk

April 30, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. YOUR NOT EVEN A TALENTED INVASION OF PRIVACY

April 26, 2013 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  21. Mr Pheer

"renowned performer" – dafuq?

April 26, 2013 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
  22. M.

make sure its true first.

April 22, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. I want to bindi her over...

April 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  24. GoingForIt

Take Care Selena....Hello Justin

April 22, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • badchica

IKR!!!! helloe justin and bye bye selena and gurlll i think that u need some help! lol

April 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Moron

we agreed...you need a therapist...baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaa

April 22, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jehan S

If your God can't handle being insulted it should see a therapist.

April 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam, Canada

Can you say same think about Allah, without being hunted down? So why insult any religion. What a b****y mindset. By the way I do not support Zed's view. But you are a poisoned mind.

April 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • jc

"Can you say same think about Allah, without being hunted down?"

I still live in a free country, so yes. Yes I can.

April 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  27. The 3 Tripes Update

1. heard me talk too my broker
    2. watching me all day and saw me clean
    3. bash the market in the morning

April 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sandip Sinha

Selena should 'FO' Rajan Zed. If Mr Rajan is so sensitive to wearing a bindi and misuing it, he should perhaps be aware of mounting insults of women in India.

April 22, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. which reminds me i gotta start memorizing!!!

April 22, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Dying to Play the Drums Again

in few weeks for padre and birthday...yayay

April 22, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Tuffy

i have not been too a k-bar in years...too busy

April 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. I Like Real Music

Nice job of lip-syncing-as Gene Simmons said, it's karaoke.They wear stupid costumes and have dancers parade around them to hide the factthat they can't sing.

April 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. She is talented..

that is why she's on stage...

April 22, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meh

She's a little twit with a nice little bod that the tweenie-boppers like, regardless of the fact that she's terrible. THATS whay she's on stage.

April 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • IL

she's not a twit far from it.

April 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Death before Piers

The fact she is actually...well in her mind at least...."performing" isnt bad enough?

April 22, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. m4dm1nnes0tan

Funny...

A talentless individual that has people mad at her over something that shouldnt have ever been done/worn to begin with (ergo bindi). Sounds like another Kardashian in the making LMAO

April 22, 2013 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  36. BUSINESS AS F-CKING USUAL...HO

have a great day too all....the i machines are on...

April 22, 2013 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  37. YOU LOOKED AT MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE....

April 22, 2013 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  38. Birth Certificate--

SS

Agreed! Ridiculous comments.

April 22, 2013 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  39. Sickamundo

Taco: {()}

April 22, 2013 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  40. hackamundo

don't worry its almost over....so we can all be in PEACE

April 22, 2013 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  41. COMPUTER SLOWED DOWN--REPORTED THANKS

Selena is a no talent

April 22, 2013 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  42. Slowed Up My Computer--- C's

thanks

April 22, 2013 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  43. guys any invasion of privacy report to the c's - selena is busy today

thanks

April 22, 2013 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  44. Toshiba Hard Drive Crush Before Vacation

we have that 1 too right?

April 22, 2013 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  45. Raj K

As a practicing Hindu, I see no objection to any woman wearing it. Bindi is more ornamental than religious. Has Zed objected to the bindi being 'abused' by Bollywood?

April 22, 2013 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  46. mikethec

She is handing it too us, useless and no power

April 22, 2013 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  47. drew

At least it distracts from her "singing".

April 22, 2013 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  48. KC

I don't believe most singers have that much authority over how they dress during concerts. Don't forget she has an agent, a stage manager, a wardrobe specialist, a choreographer, a set decorator and so on – I highly doubt that she is the one who said "This is what we're all wearing".

April 21, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  49. HACKER WEEKLY UPDATES

1. heard me open cd
    2., knows when i received 2 grand in trap account
    3. heard me speaking to my brokers
    4. heard me at confirmation

April 21, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • HACKER WEEKLY UPDATES

also knows when i am receiving other funds...thanks...

April 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  50. SDCinNS

How typical of CNN – they'll unappologetically run any story trashing Christianity – but they want an apology for Hindus for even a tangential reference to one of their symbols.

April 21, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Apetal 1 knows your there--i cannot believe selena still thinks she's ahead of this game

are you watching this ...

April 21, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Oh Jim?

all the other bloggers were just thinking that very same thing...

baaaaawaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa

April 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jim P.

Lots of entertainers wear religious symbols with no thought to their meaning or even if doing so would offend others. Look at the endless parade of "rappers" with crosses so egregious they would make a Borgia Pope blush and those people generally can hardly be called "Christians".

Entertainers are not noted for their ability to think rationally or even in mature manner. if it sells, it's swell.

April 21, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. srinu

What is wrong in wearing a bindi. I am a Hindu. Many bollywood stars wear bindi while doing all kinds of gyrating dances while wearing skimpy clothes. I think Zed wants to be in news and canvas he is representing all hindus in north America.

April 21, 2013 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • SS

Agreed! Ridiculous comments.

April 22, 2013 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • gosfvr

I agree. Rajan Zed is just an attention hog. Who went and made him the spokesperson for all Hindus?
      All these fanatical whacko nut jobs need to be ignored.

May 1, 2013 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  55. M.A.P. Ploise.

Must be a slow news day. Who is this man complaining? Is he an official Hindu spokesman or just the only person CNN could find to make some kind of comment!? Seriously if you are soooo sensitive to religeous symbols being uzsed, go live in a cave and don't expose your pure spiritual mind to such western sacrilige. It's a free world and we are free to critisize and even to mock religion.

April 21, 2013 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  56. American Hindu

Hindus in the USA are liberal, progressive and rational. A bindi in a dance routine has nothing to do with Hinduism, and Rajan Zed is a nobody. He doesn't represent Hinduism or Hindus. At most he represents the views of 5-10% of Hindus in the USA. In fact in my opinion, Rajan Zed's criticism and talibanistic approach to all of this is in opposition to the teachings and practice of Hinduism.

April 21, 2013 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  57. Hollywoodvs.Bollywood

As a member of the indian community I take no offense to her sporting the bindi...the bindi marks the location of the third eye...inner vision and intuition...the eye of vishnu...whether used seductively or not, this woman has a right to wear it for her own spiritual acknowledgment and even growth...if anything it help people get a better understanding of why we wear the bindi in the first place..and OH PLEASE have you not seen the bollywood actresses these days? They wear bindis too and are far from innocent...so remove you double standards please and thanksssss

April 21, 2013 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  58. LT Fang

So the day after Marathon bombers were caught, the Internet Outrage of the Day involves a performer wearing something resembling a style of a different group of people.

April 20, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  59. HoGa 1

Did you get your 3 seconds of fame?.....hair style first...yep...

April 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  60. THE JEALOUS HO'S

they like each other big f-cking deal--

April 20, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  61. animesh goswami

Silly, please get a life. While it might have religious significance, it is definitely a fashion accessory as well. I should know, about 10 women in my family wear one occasionally...

April 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Lisa

I went to graduate school in the late 90s with a woman from India, who was in her 20s and married to an Indian man, her marriage was even arranged, so she held many traditional Indian values. She had brought in a sheet of self-stick Bindi and was putting one on before class started. I told her how lovely they were. She offered one for me to wear. I asked her if it was proper, because I didn't want to be disrespectful. She said no problem, traditionally they are only worn by married women but nowadays unmarried girls will wear them, and anyway, I was getting married in a couple of months. She put one on my forehead. A couple of non-Indian students entered the class and chastised me for "disrespecting Indian culture" for having one on. My friend, Shilpi, told them to be quiet because they had no idea what they were talking about.

April 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Desi Girl

There's nothing disrespectful in taking part in another's culture when you're invited to it, within the appropriate context. But that isn't remotely related to what Selena did.

April 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • animesh goswami

Yes, the over the top political correctness can be annoying. Let everyone wear a bindi if they want to. Traditionally the

April 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • endoscented

Exactly, what authority does she have to speak on behalf of Hinduism? While your friend may be lax in her adherence to tradition Mr. Zed certainly a more qualified spokesperson.

April 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Selena was at the meeting...

she heard the whole thing this week

April 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Stosh

" other stars like Katy Perry and, perhaps most memorably, Gwen Stefani have been seen sporting bindi on their heads."
    So Gomez can't even come up with something original. No surprise there, from a manufactured "star".

April 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  65. CTHousewife

It is racist to assume that someone shouldn't be wearing a bindi because they don't look a certain way. Anyone can wear a bindi, just like anyone can wear a hat. How the wearer interprets the meaning is part of their own spirituality that should not be imposed on others. My daughter like to wear bindis and she has blond hair and blue eyes. I have livied in India, and know for a fact that most Indian women wear bindis because they just like how it looks.

April 20, 2013 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • asdhj

That red dot is where they poke themselves in the head and go "darn I got knocked up by an indian again".

April 20, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Desi Girl

I'd wager it's racist to say that your opinion, or your "right to do what you please," trumps that of the opinions and wishes of the ethnic group and cultures from which the items being appropriated, originated from. I'd also consider it pretty racist to think that by virtue of your existence, you have the right to supersede the authority of those from that ethnic group, disregard the integrity of their culture, and state that you are superior all while feigning "reverse racism," because someone had the audacity to tell you "no." Just because something exists, doesn't mean it exists for you to take. But that sort of reasoning requires a moral compass, and a sense of respect. And it certainly doesn't associate values with the voices of minorities based on who is more agreeable to your desires. Also it's ignorant and racist to assume that Indians can't have blonde hair or blue eyes. Thanks for the stereotype, world traveler.

April 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • sraj

I so agree with you. I am Indian...i don't see any problem with it. Fringe groups make me mad!!!
      Maybe I should add a link to an "ITEM Song" – seductive dances in Bolllywood movies- where the ladies in skimpy dresses wear bindis. I G N O R E him!! do not apologize!!

April 20, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock

I encourage women to dress up in all that hindi garb – its darn hot

April 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Sokman

I dont remember it that way MLevi, but I've forgotten as much of the 90's as I remember. The results of a misspent youth I reckon.

April 19, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Fruit

i lost another 4 lbs with those daily "things" - keep them coming

April 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Sickamundo

I want to *fap all over her lap

April 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Miriam

She is lip-singing so her act doesn't count anyway...

April 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nope

Did you even see the performance? Everyone who isn't tone deaf wished she lip sang, her live voice is HORRIBLE. As is her studio voice.

Selena is a sweet girl, but by no means is she a singer.

April 20, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Nicholas de Burgo

"Bindi" refers to the "third eye" which Hindu mythology recognizes but I doubt it means much more than that. Many many people have small statues in their homes of the Buddha, who are not Buddhists. Should Buddhists get upset? This is silly just as the concept of a "third eye" is pretty silly. Why Selena would be wearing one seems kind of silly also since I am not aware that she is a HIndu.

April 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Desi Girl.

Incorrect. The bindi is as much a cultural and an ethnoreligious item to the people of South Asia, regardless of individual religion. And unless you are a person native to South Asia, then your feelings on the subject carry no weight compared to those who are. It's wise to be silent on subjects which you know little about.

April 20, 2013 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  71. Boof In the Whole Butt

where i live they love me sooooo much...they will tell u they never heard of me....

April 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  72. fap's ok

mustabait aboutt each other so what...

April 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Boof

Sweet baby got a boof'n butt.

April 19, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Fap fap...

*fap*fap*fap*fap*fap*fap*fap*fap...

April 19, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Go Turn Your Speakers Up For Later

baaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooo

April 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Gross

I want to pet her furry little kitty.

April 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Your Just Jealous Women

Everyone is right with you–peace

April 19, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Your A No Talent Selena

We are the champions...

April 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Boof

I want to make her my spunk monkey.

April 19, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  80. No one calls her Justin's Beaver anymore

April 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  81. South

lots of jb jokes today...somebody needin? ha

April 19, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  82. MandyMan

Everyone keep their phones ON tonight...

April 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Sokman

Actually Jen, I do believe Madonna used a cross as an accessory & prop in one of her videos once, but people seemed more upset because she kissed a black man in it than they were that she desecrated a Christian symbol of faith, in a religious establishment no less

April 19, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2 jobs in 1 day--yes

and she will probably use another prop before going out....WHO GIVES A SH8T

April 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow

White women kiissing black men is quite popular nowadays–

April 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MLevi

They were more offended by the fact that he was a saint than the fact he was black.

April 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Its 3 jobs--ho--not 1

goldie 1
      hos 2
      town 3

April 19, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • marianna68

I believe because the black man was representing a Saint more than anything.

April 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  84. SandBagged

Selena is much more attractive...i could see justin with her

April 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Sokman

I was going to post something about Bollywood similar to Godfery, but not nearly as in-depth or elegant. You nailed it on the head sir, well played

April 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Suzy

Get over it. People are too sensitive these days and take everything as an insult.

April 19, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

I wonder if you would say the same thing if she used a cross as a prop? Probably not.

April 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P. Ploise.

Well I would say the same thing. If its your religion then you should feel secure enough with it not to let it bother you if others want to use the symbolism in another way. Watch the South Park episode about the image of Mohammed not being allowed to be shown in cartoons.

April 21, 2013 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  87. Selena is HOT

good for her!!!

April 19, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Emm

I'm of Indian descent, and the Zed dude is a moron. Selena's hot.

April 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Anagram Man

Some anagrams for the name Selena Gomez:

Sleaze Gnome
    Song Eez Lame
    Loans Geezem
    El Gas Em Zone

April 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Not Religious

Who is this stupid Zed., the self appointed religious spokesman? Bindis are not a religious symbol. Its just a fashion accessory.

April 19, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  91. MT

hahahahahahah

April 19, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  92. the jealous phone password hunt

Selena is georgous

April 19, 2013 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  93. Meh

Boring...hot but BORING

April 19, 2013 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  94. Godfrey Pereira

This hypocrite Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, who is the President of the Universal Society of Hinduism should take a long hard look at Bollywood movies, where the Indian actresses, making lewd suggestive gestures while dancing around trees often have "bindis." Now these are Hindus in a predominantly Hindu country. So what exactly is this ignoramus talking about? Let anybody, anybody watch these Bollywood movies and find out if these moves by the actresses are not "seductive effects" as this so called Hindu Statesman maintains. This has been going on for years.
    This idiotic talking head should first do his homework before making his ignorance public. It's easy to target the West, but brother, look into your own backyard first, and second, let's hear you say something to the powerful Bollywood lobby and all the bindi sporting twirling Indian actresses. Don't use your religion in the West to gain sympathy by twisting the facts.

April 19, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • JBrown

This idiot Rajan Zed only wants some publicity. And, by th way, Hinduism is a way of life and not a religion.

April 20, 2013 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  95. 50 JOB WIN

DAZ RIGHT BOSS..

April 19, 2013 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  96. FIRST JOB WIN

jeanette is schmuck

April 19, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  97. llalla

Silly nonsense...Gwen Stefani wore one for years and no apology was ever needed also at the same awards show the band who played before her were dressed in traditional mariachi suits...should they apologize to the hispanic community too? this is so ridiculous

April 19, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Desi Girl

Last time I looked, many people of South Asian descent took offense to Gwen Stefani's act of cultural appropriation. Just because you failed to notice, doesn't mean we're all ok with it.

April 20, 2013 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  98. MTeam

Love Selena's energy...you go girl

April 19, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  99. Emm

That wasn't "clever," that was just racist. Bitter about something?

April 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |