Kelly Clarkson performs new single on 'Idol'
April 12th, 2013

Kelly Clarkson performs new single on 'Idol'

More than a decade after being crowned the first “American Idol,” Kelly Clarkson returned to the stage that made her famous to perform on “Idol’s” Thursday night results show.

Clarkson sang her new single, “People Like Us,” under black lights that showed off her dayglo costume, makeup and nails.

Following her performance, Clarkson revealed that she was nervous to sing in front of new “Idol” judge Mariah Carey.

She even tweeted the day before, “Okay. Tomorrow I'm performing at Idol in front of @MariahCarey. Pray for me. #PleaseDearGodDontLetMeSuck”

Carey eventually joined the “Stronger” singer onstage for a hug.

“If I would have been one of them coming to audition I would have vomited on the stage,” Clarkson said. “I’m so glad you’re not mean.”

Filed under: American Idol 2013 • Mariah Carey

1. ryne

Wow. She's the BEST IDOL ever. Kelly and Carrie. Oh and I love Mariah comin up on stage.
    Kelly: oh my God, I love her.

Mariah: I need your advice on a new material.

April 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rufina Voigt

In the case of American Idol, the type of people who are watching the show also tends to heavily reflect on who the winner will be. Thanks to the success of shows like Nashville Star there are very few country music sensations coming from the American Idol camp. However, you do on occasion have a country treasure to find, after all Carrie Underwood and a few other Idol rejects are doing extremely well in country music. The personality of the viewers tends to show in the actual contestants. Those who perform well in styles of music that the audience can connect with tend to stay on the show much longer."

Our blog

April 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. First Gig-2nd meeting already

Kelly has meeting 2 already with the big shots...you oh yea you'll be in everyone's business listening too fone calls.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAA--sh!t bagged right in the face

April 17, 2013 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kelly is a talent in the business---(photo above)--the other singer has no vocal talent

April 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jo Jo Sand Bagged Kelly

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA

April 15, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sara

Would someone please send her a different hair color other than blonde?? She looks ridiculous with blonde hair

April 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marcia

Popular things dont care who hates them...they worry 3 things...their man, their family and their superiors
    otherwise thats it...

April 15, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Marcia

Popular things dont care who hates them...they worry 2 things...their man, their family and their superiors
    otherwise thats it...

April 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. derp

She even looks fat wearing neon.

April 15, 2013 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sammy

People still watch American Idol? lol

April 14, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. j

Very original........................................just kidding, it sucked like always.

April 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LOLzo

Anyone notice that Ms. Potato Head in purple checking out that guy's crotch at 1:20?

April 14, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bob1god

What's a "Idol" ?

April 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tenisius flamlabia

someone get her another donut... quick!

April 14, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kelly does not care about the negative publiciy

because in the end the high level opinions are what count...not the low end. opinions....

April 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TheBashingIsABore

Kelly is a wonderfur example of talent, people continue too want this woman and she will be a hit forever...

As we disucssed last night there is always jealousy around and we don't need these people–the are not relevant

April 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Her man loves a big ass...Go Kelly

April 14, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bud

Prime example of the progress of the downfall of civilization as we know it. This is prime time TV? Hardly!

April 14, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Hugh G. Rection

April 14, 2013 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  20. the cookie monster

meh.. they only brought her in because the idol ship is sinking. the show is boring as my poop.

April 14, 2013 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  21. just don't like her

I've just never liked her. I've seen too many interviews and learned things that make me think she tries too hard to be cool. I will say that she IS a good singer. However, anytime I've seen her 'perform', if you can call it that, she is standing or sitting in one place. No movement. Look at this performance. Standing in one spot on the stage, not moving, no energy, constantly holding her diaphragm. How boring. And her eye make up and overall appearance was atrocious.

April 14, 2013 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Give her duet of Fast Cars with Dougherty a try.

April 14, 2013 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Nobody Cares

she does not need too worry about your approval

April 14, 2013 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
    • miscreantsall

JUST DON'T LIKE HER:

I wonder what kind of credentials you have to judge the quality of her singing…….hmmmmmm?

She DOES need a better stylist……..that did NOT look good at all. And, a nutrition/fitness coach would help too.

April 14, 2013 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Sass

Kelly Clarkson's performance was amazing. I loved the blacklight and makeup. It was very cool. What is wrong with you people??? This woman has the best voice on the planet, and she is a sweetie. Whoever does not love her voice is just plain tone freaking deaf.

April 14, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Off too other comps--thanks

April 13, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mardea

Clive M. Davis can get her hands on another one....non issue in the music business

April 13, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Network4

A talent everyone wants too hear..

April 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Network 4...thanks

kelly is hot

April 13, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. nanette

Kelly's new single; People Like Us' is Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even to a 62 year old nurse.....could so relate !!! :)

April 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • genia

I will be 62 this year and loved her duet with Reba-Because of you-great stuff-loved what doesn't kll you makes you stronger lyrics.

April 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. tbone

thought it was Kelly at her worst

April 13, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Lance Worley

Has anyone on this board simply listened to Kelly Clarkson sing? She is exuberant and talented, in love with what she is doing and full of joy at being able to make others happy with her voice. Does it all have to be with all the mean-spirited posters' idea of class? To even post ugly and crude items about her "class" shows a definitive lack of class in the posters themselves.

April 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • DebS
      April 14, 2013 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
    • miscreantsall

I agree Lance.

The caliber and quality of her voice is truly awesome.

Now, as far as "performance", well…….she could work on that. I find it interesting that many GREAT voiced singers don't "perform" that well. Whitney could not dance herself out of a box. Mariah, same thing. Aretha? forget about it.

I just can't think of artists with (whether you like their style or not) powerful voices that can really dance and perform and excite!

April 14, 2013 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • KarynR

How true, Lance. People seem to need to put others down to make themselves feel better about their insecurities. Kelly has a beautiful voice and I have always enjoyed listening and watching her perform.

April 14, 2013 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • starcitygal

Why do most people have to post negative comments? Are there really that many miserable people out there? Take your own inventories once in a while. Kelly Clarkson is a gem – awesome singer, humble girl. So happy she has found a nice career and the love of her life – you deserve the best of everything, Kelly – you go, you!!! I think you're an awesome woman and a great power of example to the younger girls.

April 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  29. At the end of the day....Kelly is the one they like

they will want her when she is 50--its just the way it goes....heck she could be out and could be standing next too cindy crawford....yet they still walk over too Kelly M. first...kelly is very fortunate.

April 13, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  30. Marygrace

that's why she is in this boat.....no class

April 13, 2013 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  31. LK

Kelly is a talented, great singer, no doubt about that. But every time she opens her mouth on stage, she makes an ass out of herself! Always says something dumb, and she came through again on Idol after she sang. I can't remember exactly what she said, but it was something about her taking a crap. NO class.

I agree about the comments about Niki. At times, she's great. Other times, and there's more of the "other times", she is down right mean or says something stupid. Mariah is the gentle, kinder critique'er, but she gets a little long-winded at times. But her and Keith are my favorite judges. Dawg is so cruel whenever a singer doesn't bring their best. He's trying to be another Simon, I think. Overall, Idol has variety... the good, the bad, the ugly, which is what makes it interesting! :)

April 13, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  32. Men still want her......chubby or thin...

lucky

April 13, 2013 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  33. Puddin

I didn't like the goofy eye makeup, but she deserves to have some fun if she wishes. Funny someone criticized her weight; I've been saying she looks prettier recently than I've ever seen her. Maybe love has something to do with it. Anyway, we put too much emphasis on what people look like instead of do they have a good heart and a good brain. The reason those of us who are "chunky" should make an effort to lose it is to get healthy.

April 13, 2013 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  34. Lizabeth

American Idol has done us such a great service by finding these unbelievable talented people, who other wise would still be unknown. I love this show – all except judge Nikki. Why is she so Getto. She is attractive but this demeans her so much. And some of her comments are fairly strange like "I just want to wear you." Love Maria – such a lady. Nikki needs to take a few lessons from her on how to behave in public!

April 13, 2013 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • KarynR

I truly hope this is Nicki's first and last season on Idol. She's beyond weird and I can't stand her.

April 14, 2013 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  35. jbg757

Interesting appearance but I thought she looked like a confused goth.

April 13, 2013 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  36. robin

I prefer Candice. Really great.

April 13, 2013 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  37. i guess its the dowsideofbeingadisgracedho

thanks.

April 13, 2013 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  38. Kelly is confused...hahahaha

April 13, 2013 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  39. Borque

"Did you hear Kelly Clarkson on 'Idol'?" – No. Thankfully.

April 13, 2013 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  40. Terry S Gouin

She sang great but she looked like and out of control eye make alien.......it was bad....

April 13, 2013 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  41. miscreantsall

Kelly is a gift to the music industry. What a voice! She has a Diva voice but does (not seem to) act like a diva. Refreshing!

I just wish she had a better stylist and nutritionist / work out pro (she needs to shed those pounds now while she is young) and dermatologist.

But so what? If she is happy the way she is, we can all go f…..k ourselves. That voice is crazy good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 13, 2013 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  42. IsItJust Me?

Kelly Sucked for sure! I love her music and her, but last nights performance on Idol... wow.. total disaster on the neon glowing eyes and dress.. Kelly... next time .. be yourself!

April 13, 2013 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • genia

Oh that's just having fun-it wasn't her best look, but who cares as long as she is happy.Very talented and she doesn't have to please everyone because you can't anyway-thought it was trying to address the younger party crowd.

April 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mattski

Loved the song, hated the black light. She looked terrible till the full lights came up. A complete distraction. That's what happens whe LD's decide the lights should upstage the talent instead of subte,ly enhancing the experience. Even in music.

April 12, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. mkdogzzzz

Is it just me or does KC look AWFUL?! She "is not a blonde!" YUCK!!!

April 12, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  45. I don't watch Idol

No, I didn't watch it.

April 12, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • dmwinsd

And yet you spend time reading about the thing that you didn't watch, so you don't have the reality of what happened, yet make comments. ???

April 12, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Southernsuga

Kelly has perfect pitch. She's great, no matter what she sings.

April 12, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Marelli

i heard the kelly's new song....she is very amazing and her pitch level is outstanding...clive davis should be very proud of her.

April 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ll

It was just awful.

April 12, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  49. sassysticks53

So good to see the first American Idol on the show last night. Kelly Clarkson is awesome. Enjoyed her performance and the day-glo outfits.

April 12, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  50. RickJamesMemphis

Just so you know Justin and Miley,,,, THAT is how it is done. That is called talent.

April 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • duk

I agree, but, it is not their fault if Justin and Miley or Lady Gaga happens to have hired a very diligent, heavily connected PR manager or business manager who promote a client, be it a monkey or a moron.

April 12, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  51. I am so happy kelly's marriage is working out...

when one of them is a nag or controlling the other strays...

April 12, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  52. My guy remains loyal too me---

i don't nag him and i let him do what he wants...that's probably why i am fortunate.

April 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • dmwinsd

Personally, I think that whether or not you are fortunate depends on what it is that your guy is doing that you let him do.

April 12, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  53. He's not bored that's why he doesn't cheat...

he's love his wife.

April 12, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Margaret

she's hot everyday...she's not a slob...

April 12, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. MARY D

WAS IT JUST ME OR WAS KELLY'S EYE MAKEUP JUST PLAIN SCARRY, HER MAKE UP ARTIST SHOULD BE FIRED IT LOOKED HORRIBLE, AND SHE'S A CUTIE I COULDN'T EVEN WATCH IT SHE LOOKED POSSESSED. WATCH AGAIN YOU'LL SEE.

April 12, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • he doesn't cheat on her right?

no...the pen in the ink is good that's why.....

April 12, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • PC

Her makeup was a gimmic for her futuristic song/video. Great talent!!

April 12, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ll

She's too old to carry that off.

To be clear, anybody over the age of 12 wearing that glow in the dark gingerbread get up would be too old.

April 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChoCho

It was supposed to look that way for the black lights! Her eye make-up reflected during the show....or didn't you figure that out? I think the show is about singing? right? I actually liked the performance...........and she can sing like noone else!

April 13, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maroobie

her makeup is done. well.

April 13, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Kelly Clarkson is number 1 and dresses beautiful every day

and is good looking

April 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mandy Ho

Kelly is the talent....the other is not...

April 12, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Leona

Wow! Mariah Carey stood up and hugged her! Even Idol's golden offspring Carrie Underwood didn't receive that much attention from Mariah last week. Anyway, Kelly Clarkson is really funny and great singer though, she assures that America got it right back then.

April 12, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

I think Mariah may be hot for her bod, giving her a hug like that. Is there some lesbean business going on?

April 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Perhaps Mariah was truly glad to see Kelly and stand on stage with her. Get your mind out of the gutter! The hug wasn't all that – unless you wanted it to be more than it was. Geeze.

April 12, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ain't all that

If Mariah had given me a hug I would shrug my shoulders, she ain't all that.. If Kelly hugged me I would politely tap her on the back. If Carrie Underwood hugged me they would have to mop the floor. Carrie is THAT much better than the other two combined.

April 12, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lizabeth

Mariah is a true lady. I like her much more after seeing her every week on this show. She just wanted to give her a hug because she had shown that she was a little worried about performing before the queen, Mariah. Wish Nikky would take some lessons on how to behave from Mariah. She ruins this show for me.

April 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • No Challenge--just get another singer by Monday

April 13, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Kelly

I sure am. I'm a powerful and talented singer lady. I used to perform with The Monkees.

April 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Volunteer

Kelly is a true talent and not a ho

April 12, 2013 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  61. Michelle

I'm so firsty it makes me smile

April 12, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  62. If you feel fat...just exercise

i lose 25 lbs and going for the next 20 lbs starting monday

April 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Really?

Hating popular things is cool I guess. But just because people don't like you doesn't mean you should just go with it and be a jerk. Maybe you negative people should go outside and get some friends and try being nice to other people.

April 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  64. starcitygal

To Really? Your comment about people going outside and getting some friends just made my day – I'm laughing my head. Well put! You kept it nice and simple – good for you!

April 16, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |