Couldn't believe 'The Americans'? Noah Emmerich explains
April 4th, 2013

Couldn't believe 'The Americans'? Noah Emmerich explains

Shocked fans dropped their jaws Wednesday after watching the latest episode of TV's hottest Cold War spy drama.

We're talking, of course, about the "The Americans" - FX's new series about Soviet spies living in the U.S. in the '80s. Words like "nuts," "crazy" and "crossed the line" were just a few that popped up on the show's Facebook fan page.

If you missed it, you may not want to read any further. We absolutely do not want to spoil the fun. Suffice it to say the stakes just got a lot higher in a show where the worst case scenario is World War III.

Here's what happened:

1. The show's central romance went sour.

2. A key character was killed off.

3. And another character took justice into his own hands by committing a vengeful act of cold-blooded murder.

We've had a great time so far watching "Felicity's" Keri Russell as the "do what must be done" Soviet spy Elizabeth Jennings. It's been fun to see her spy-husband Philip, played by Matthew Rhys, get intimate with an FBI secretary to steal her secrets.

And the FBI's Stan Beeman, played by Noah Emmerich, has been a virtual by-the-book counterintelligence agent.

Until now.

Showing a disturbing new dark side, Beeman made it clear that he's willing to do just about anything for his FBI partner Chris Amador, as played by Max Hernandez. When Chris is kidnapped by Elizabeth and Philip, "Stan crossed the line," posted Randy Dunn on Facebook. "Don't really care for him anymore," added Facebook fan Sarah Gregory. "He really has turned into a villain."

But to Emmerich, "Stan is a ferociously loyal human being," as the actor told reporters during a conference call Wednesday. He doesn't see Beeman's motivation to retaliate for the kidnapping by shooting a KGB spy in cold blood as an emotionally rash decision, but rather "a calculated chess move that he feels must be made."

"It is revenge," Emmerich admitted. "I don't think it's personal. I think it's political."

Yet as loyal as Beeman is, he's complicated too. The guy is cheating on his wife with a Russian embassy worker.

"There's a conflict sometimes in life between loyalty and emotional need and the things we need to survive in life," said Emmerich. "I don't think Stan thinks of it consciously - analytically - as a betrayal. It's just a human need that emerges to which he surrenders to some degree."

The new developments make it clear things are going to get "even crazier" for the show's characters in the coming weeks, wrote TVFanatic. "The Jennings will need to be even more careful."

One of the great things about "The Americans" is its ability to make us sympathize with just about all the characters. Unlike Emmerich's boyhood movie hero Billy Jack in the 1971 movie of the same name, "The Americans" has no clear-cut Good Guys or Bad Guys. Each character has good qualities and fascinating flaws. "It's a very complex, messy, unclear world," Emmerich said. "There's our true self and there's our prescribed self. And betwixt and between the two, there's a lot of gray."

Initially, Emmerich almost turned the role down.

"I didn't want to be a guy who carried a badge or a gun, I've had too much of that," he said. So when the part of Beeman was offered, Emmerich kind of dismissed it.

Enter Gavin O'Connor, who directed Emmerich in the 2008 cop film "Pride and Glory." O'Connor - who was directing the pilot for "The Americans" - asked Emmerich to re-read the script.

"I really realized that this show is actually not about guns and badges at all," Emmerich said. "It's really about characters; it's about relationships; it's about identity and our understanding of each other and ourselves and how we relate. ... So I took the leap, and I'm ever so grateful that I did."

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. Laura Theaux

Nice weblog here! Also your web site quite a bit up very fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink to your host? I want my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

December 25, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. WE ARE FILING A FORMAL COMPLAINT AGAINST HER AND THEY CALL CALL HIM...THANKS

THANKS

August 14, 2013 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Avelina Stringari

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to deliver up. I offer the thoughts above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you deliver up where crucial thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impression of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

August 14, 2013 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Measures too Measures

good riddens...

August 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Numbers Hellinger

The subsequent time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I truly thought youd have something fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you possibly can fix for those who werent too busy looking for attention.

August 11, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Kat file has been opened...

and nobody cares because she is a has been and there is no love there...none.

August 7, 2013 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kathleen Dejongh

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know the best way to deliver an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

August 7, 2013 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. No relationship...

do you see the differences between the real and the not real in love....that is not real....

August 7, 2013 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Annmarie Kellog

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thanks Nevertheless I'm experiencing subject with ur rss . Don�t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting an identical rss drawback? Anybody who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx

August 7, 2013 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Diane Binb

found a ton of writings... we knew all of it already.

August 6, 2013 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dylan Mackel

There are some fascinating points in time in this article but I don�t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There's some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

August 6, 2013 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. Your feed burner career

is over and we will not be playing with you anymore .. the final antics from this article are attached.

August 5, 2013 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Demarcus Stokan

There are some interesting closing dates on this article however I don�t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity however I'll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as properly

August 5, 2013 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. No Nooks Nellie

We attached her hacks from this article correct...ignore her

August 4, 2013 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bruno Falick

I�d must test with you here. Which isn't one thing I often do! I take pleasure in studying a put up that may make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

August 4, 2013 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. Randy Hamano

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to find any individual with some original ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that's wanted on the web, somebody with somewhat originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

August 3, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dante Daws

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don�t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting equivalent rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

August 1, 2013 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  18. Marvel Walenta

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to seek out somebody with some unique thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the internet, someone with just a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

August 1, 2013 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. MAPPING? LET ME KNOW OTHERWISE IGNORE HER

July 31, 2013 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  20. RIGGING COMMENTS MAKING IT LOOK LIKE ITS FROM ME...

THANKS.

July 31, 2013 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  21. SHE RIGS COMMENTS AND SAYS THEY ARE FROM ME....DOC HER

ADD THIS ONE TOO CNN'S ORIGINAL....THE USUAL ROUTINE

July 31, 2013 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  22. Loyd Staniszewski

There are certainly a number of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice level to carry up. I offer the ideas above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place a very powerful factor will probably be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged round issues like that, however I'm sure that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the affect of only a second�s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

July 31, 2013 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  23. Pearline Hatchet

I�d should verify with you here. Which is not something I often do! I take pleasure in reading a publish that may make individuals think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

July 31, 2013 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  24. Dusty Densieski

Do you know how I avoid duplicate iCal alerts? (Apple support does not, so far...) I think b/c of iCloud calendar sharing in between my husband and that i, I am getting two alerts for every event on the iMac and on the iPhone. everything is up to date and that i have a new MacBook Pro and the new iPhone 4s.

July 23, 2013 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  25. I hope the guy with the beer is back on the show soon.

April 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  26. He made sure the club was perfect for everyone--

Stallone was his favorite guest....truth

April 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. idgewood cntry club

i know everyone there too.....papi worked there.....small world

April 8, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • papi was a ballboy

at the tennis courts - i remember him! he handled the balls for all the members.

April 8, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. oh yea the one on the left still turns me on

you betcha

April 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Is the guy with the beer far away?

April 8, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  30. SAND BAG BOTH BIMBOS--INFO IS JUST LIKE EVERYBODY

RUIN MONDAY THANKS

April 7, 2013 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  31. Al Mayer -- Pick me up in 1/2....lol

April 6, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Marina--Master

i just love the guy on the left....oh man

April 6, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MASter Beeter

guy on the left has a load in his pants - u can tell by his facial expression. Plus he wears a turtleneck under a v-neck, which is classic geek/current d-bag chic.

April 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • fitty bucks says its a dickey...

April 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al? no lie--he wants me but i'm not ready

makie outie so what...daz it...i know how to handle that dept...no pen in the ink

April 8, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. when you don't stop it the feelings for the bald guy get hotter

April 6, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Margaret Peace

agreed....the one on the left with the beer is hot

April 5, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Marcia

The guy on the left is hot.

April 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  36. HNY

yep

April 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. gahh

This show is wild, I never expected so much action. It's a must to watch every Wednesday night. I thought the FBI people were pretty wimpy, until Wednesday's show. Wow!

April 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  38. HNY

Yea the one on the left is hot

April 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Margaret Mar

The one of the left is a cutie...

April 5, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Marvares

I think the bald guy is hot

April 5, 2013 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  41. Alvarez

Interesting story. Now I'd like to place poop stains on their sweaters.

April 5, 2013 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  42. Kongregat

I get paid over $87 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I'd be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I've been doing, Wow55.com

April 4, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

Why , I find this kind of troll always? why they try to sell something ? is this people trying to use the site for sales? please go away ! I just saw another one in another site .....it shuld be reconized by the Rules and Terms of Service ....

April 9, 2013 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  43. Liz

Though there are no clear heroes on this show, I think Phillip is nearing villain territory. With my busy work shift at DISH, I wasn’t home to see his encounter with Amador when the episode was first on. But with my DISH Hopper set to record the season, I was able to catch up. The 2,000 hours of storage space is always going to use recording seasons of different shows, so I never have to worry about missing key episodes.

April 4, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |