April 3rd, 2013

Roger Ebert taking 'leave of presence' as cancer returns

As he celebrates 46 years with the Chicago Sun-Times on Wednesday,  film critic Roger Ebert also reveals he's going to slow down or take a "leave of presence," as he calls it.

In an essay on his blog, Ebert explained he's facing a recurrence of cancer. The 70-year-old already lost his voice and much of his jaw after battling thyroid and salivary gland cancer.

Ebert suffered a hip fracture in December, and it recently led to the revelations about cancer, he said. The critic is receiving radiation treatment so he hasn't been able to go to as many movies as he usually does.

Ebert said he typically writes more than 200 reviews a year for the Sun-Times, and last year really ramped it up, producing 306 movie reviews, plus a blog post or two weekly in addition to other articles. He said he's not going away entirely, but he is going to slow down.

"My intent is to continue to write selected reviews but to leave the rest to a talented team of writers handpicked and greatly admired by me," he said. "What's more, I'll be able at last to do what I've always fantasized about doing: reviewing only the movies I want to review."

When not writing about film, he may "write about what it's like to cope with health challenges and the limitations they can force upon you," he said. "It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."

Ebert details a variety of other projects on his plate, but his biggest focus likely will be Ebert Digital, under which he plans to relaunch Rogerebert.com.

"The fact that we're re-launching the site now, in the midst of other challenges, should give you an idea how important Rogerebert.com and Ebert Digital are to (my wife) Chaz and me," Ebert said. "I hope you'll stop by, and look for me. I'll be there."

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. jual tas wanita murah jakarta
    September 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. yea but why my house?

use this technology in your own house--manic zeta...

May 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. my latest blog post

Thanks for your advice on this blog. Just one thing I would wish to say is that often purchasing electronic products items over the Internet is not new. In reality, in the past few years alone, the market for online electronic devices has grown drastically. Today, you will discover practically just about any electronic unit and tools on the Internet, ranging from cameras along with camcorders to computer parts and games consoles.

May 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rip Roger

we are very sad too hear the news - my uncle was a huge fan of siskel and ebert and he just informed me of Roger's death. Rest in peace Roger

April 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sybaris

Nothing fails like prayer.............obviously

April 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sunsetsgal

god, i can remember the show back when it was called 'siskel and ebert'...so sad. i remember he didn't like the first spiderman movie LOL!! but i always liked his honest opinions about all the movies.

April 4, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rest in peace, Roger

April 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Clete

I wish the best for Roger Ebert. I wouldn't wish what has happened to him on my worst enemy. I wonder about some of the posters. Some of them seem to take delight in the misforturne of others. That is sad, you have to wonder what caused them to be like that. Some of the other posts do not appear to be about Roger Ebert at all. That could be a problem with the Web page. I like to think that is the case, otherwise those posters need help.

April 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. She was too busy covering up the cruelty comment...

daz why she missed everything....baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

April 4, 2013 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. sleepytime

I'm really sorry to hear that and wish Ebert the speediest recovery. He's a wonderful and insightful writer and has always seemed like a very nice guy to boot.

April 4, 2013 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • dubstep

Ah... he's dead. You don't typically recover from that.

April 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Actually ...

Uh... Jeebus recovered. Took him three days though then he just disappeared again. Weird.

April 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Robert Ebert (photo)

is man who only wants love between all and will get that because he is one heck of a guy

April 4, 2013 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Roger and Oprah are going too be friends--

Roger can watch Oprah all day long but we will have too go past that and communicate now...

April 4, 2013 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Roger Eber does not need to be exposed in this manner

and we find it disgraceful and degrading to a man who works hard....Roger and Oprah are going to be friends–he can look at me 24 hrs a day but YOU will be unplugged..

April 4, 2013 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. Given the audience of 1 that we have here

i would suggest pulling away from blogging....any lies or anything you do is on a wire anyway so why are we giving this person any type of attention -

April 4, 2013 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. You are going too be unplugged because your not doing anything all day

You are going too be unplugged because your not doing anything all day

your not my boyfriend, your not my family, your nothing too me...

April 4, 2013 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. You are going too be unplugged because your not doing anything all day

your not my boyfriend, your nothing my family, your nothing too me...

April 4, 2013 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  17. Its God's will too monitor her...and why

because she needs help-we need too stop telling this woman what she should be doing....this is a person
    who thinks blogging is real

April 4, 2013 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  18. Observer

There is no pain...we got you last saturday night and another 300 times since then

the key is too get away from this tool.

April 4, 2013 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. M

We wish roger all the best and hope he gets through this

April 4, 2013 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
    • There i no pain...we got you last saturday night

they key is too get away from the tool...

April 4, 2013 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kevin

Ebert made one of the most amazing and inspiring TEDTalks a few years ago. Sure, I'm a bit biased because I've followed his reviews since I was a kid and always enjoyed his writing style and perspective, but even if you're not a fan of Ebert, you might change your mind after seeing this video. Look it up, everyone should watch it!

April 4, 2013 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  21. dotheflippin'math

Hemp oil does not "cure" any cancer. Doctors and "Big Pharma" are not hiding anything! There are MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF CANCERS, ALL REQUIRING DIFFERENT TREATMENTS. Cancer is NOT a single disease, so there will never be a single "magic cure." Don't waste any time/money on homeopathic "remedies." Steven Jobs did that, and he's dead now. He had the one somewhat "treatable" form of pancreatic cancer, and it was detected very early. Had he not wasted precious months seeing homeoquacks, odds are he'd still be alive. As for hemp oil, it may fight local skin infections, but that's about it. OTOH, smoking pot actually helps kill precancerous lung cells before they start multiplying "malignantly." It's also known to help w/side effects of chemo and radiation therapies. It won't cure your cancer, but may make it more bearable/less depressing. Whatever Roger does to deal with his cancer is up to him and his doctors. I believe pot and heavy narcotics should be readily available to anyone suffering from cancers or other serious/terminal diseases. I wish Roger the best luck, and that he can find something to enjoy in his life, each and every day. Nobody should have to suffer what he has gone through. He is a brave man, and an inspiration to many. I hope he gets to watch&review many more good movies. He deserves it.

April 3, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Laurie

I wish him well. He is a good guy.

April 3, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pamela

I've read & watched literally thousands of film reviews in my lifetime & Roger's are consistently those with which I agree most often. He's always been my go-to guy for considering film choices. Please his essays are brilliant (read his recent autobio now!) & his love for the craft of movies is infectious. I wish him & his devoted wife & family much love & prayers for peace & happiness.

April 3, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. roger marum

Thanks Roger for the years of you and Gene, and all the guests with whom you reviewed movies and shared your opinions. They were the first I looked to for review input when choosing a movie.Be well, and if not your courage and persistant desire to live fully whether you recover or not will be remembered, and an inspiration. Roger

April 3, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  25. mizh

Best wishes, Mr. Ebert.

April 3, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. divinem

Wishing you to be cancer free, Roger. You are an amazing role model for so many. <3

April 3, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. margaret

I hope roger can get rid of this cancer...its just awful

April 3, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. I never missed Siskel and Ebert

my uncles and I watched it every week...I will miss roger if anything happens too him...at least he has a good marriage

April 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Roger is a very very sick person..

please are respect his wishes of quiet

April 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Roger has cancer we need to respect that....

and leave this sick man alone....goodness....

April 3, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Roger really needs too get away from the dynamic

and worry about his health...

April 3, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob W

Sometimes working is the best medicine for some people. Take what they love to do away from them, and they lose motivation to carry on. He needs to do what he wants to do, even if it is writing 200 reviews a year!

April 3, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. reposted

Carl

Oh course, there's no reason to expect the second half of UhOh's sentence to make any more sense than the first.

April 3, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply

April 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. peridot2

Appalling. The sock puppet count on this thread outnumbers the humans posting here.

April 3, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Roger has suffered so much

we really have too pray for him

April 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. i am so happy roger ebert has a happy marriage

this woman is so devoted and honest with him...no games and its all about him....we love mrs ebert
    (pictured above)....roger dated oprah for awhile too....lol

April 3, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. jo

Roger...approached you at a book store in Honolulu where I had purchased your book. You were so present and autographed it. I love your reviews...know you are loved in Hawaii!

April 3, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Roger Ebert is a true saint

puts up with all these problems at least he has a solid marriage...thank god for that...

April 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. copy please

Jack

@Patiat: Bob nailed it on only one count: the improper use of the apostrophe. The term "karma rearing its ugly head" is a figure of speech so Bob isn't as smart as he thinks he is. Third, I read Ebert's comment on the late Ryan Dunn and Karma got that part absolutely right. If you don't want people saying bad things about you don't presume to judge the lifestyles of others or write hateful, self-righteous critiques on the manner in which they died.

April 3, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midnight

Hey, I guess iit doesn't apply to the living. It's ok to pick on a man that has cancer I guess.

April 3, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • we will all be here at midnight...

sweetie

April 3, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • ii code...

move along...the poor husband so sick....thank god he has a good wife...(pic above)

April 3, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

I think the point was that Ryan Dunn was drunk while driving, apparently tried to make a freeway exit at over 100mph, and ended up killing himself and a friend in the process. It was an obvious cautionary tale Ebert made a comment about. If you disagree with that, please let me know when you are on the road and I'll make sure I stay home. I have loved the reviews over the years. I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie was a fun book to read.

April 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ii code

we see what you mean

April 3, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Printed from here thanks

April 3, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. SHE TOOK THE COMMENT OUT....WE HAVE IT RIGHT?

HAHAHAHAHA-TALK ABOUT AJAX

April 3, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  41. T

are you a maroon

April 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. She got herself out of it

figures

April 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  43. jake

Such a shame, thyroid cancer is very treatable if caught early. It's a rather common cancer, people should really be on the look out for it.

April 3, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Unfortunately although it is easy to detect many people who get thyroid cancer don't know they have it until it is discovered by some other means. In my case it was found during a CT scan of my head and neck for a completely unrelated issue.

April 3, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Judy Wood

My thoughts are with you and your lovely wife, Roger. You can beat this thing.

April 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Badly-Bent

Roger, thanks for teaching me about why some movies I like and some I don't. You saved me from a lot of disappoint.

April 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  46. rockytony

God speed Mr. Ebert. Not even the makers of HEAVEN'S GATE deserve this battle. Good luck as you get rave reviews.

April 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Patrick

Terrible disease indeed. My wife has throat cancer and speaks with an electrolarnyx.
    Her condition slowly gets worse, I hope one person can beat it.

April 3, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Frankers McCoy

Two Thumbs Down for Cancer!

April 3, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Amit

I will always remember Roger Ebert best for the way he stood up for Asian-Americans' right to be portrayed as real 3-dimensional characters in film. His passionate defense at Sundance of Justin Lin's film, Better Luck Tomorrow will forever be burned in my memory, and I feel it was a turning point for all Asian-Americans to be more accurately represented in film and television.

If you want to see that video, Google this: Roger Ebert yelling at Sundance. You won't be disappointed. Then go watch Better Luck Tomorrow.

Respect, Roger. Now and forever.

April 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Tom H

I recall speaking with him in 2001 regarding some comments he had made about a couple of movies. I managed to have a 15 minute phone discussion and he sounded like he knew his stuff. I wish him well,

April 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. People get off the blog...go take a break

being cruel to this man is way too much for me and my fellow observers....

April 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Arizona Yankee

Wishing you the best Roger.... As for CNN, I'm still trying to understand their libtard status of "leave of presence" Just so you morons know the generally accepted status would have been "leave of absence"... Man you people are totally out of touch......

April 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arizona Flunkee

Here, Arizona Yankee, allow me to interpret the English language for you. Here's a piece I've "clipped" from the article: "...film critic Roger Ebert also reveals he's going to slow down – or take a "leave of presence," as he calls it."

See? CNN didn't coin that phrase, it came from Ebert himself. Typical illiterate conservatard.

April 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan I

You have reading comprehension problems don't you?

"...Roger Ebert also reveals he's going to slow down – or take a 'leave of presence,' as he calls it."

See the phrase after "leave of presence?" It says "...as he calls it." Meaning that was what Ebert himself calls his leave. It wasn't a phrase made up by CNN. Nevermind what being liberal or conservative would have to to do with it one way or the other. They were quoting the man himself.

April 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • WHAT A FOOL...

i hope your ok roger.

April 3, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • MARGARET

who are you lecturing about cvomprehension?

April 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • vidal808

You should read the entire article. CNN is only quoting what Rogers himself said and besides that it makes good sense to take a leave of presence and not a leave of absence.

April 3, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • No comprendo, Margaret

What does "cvomprehension" mean? Is that Russian? Are you one of them ferriners, illegally occupying 'murica?

April 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

You Tea-Billy Conservatard shills really can't help yourselves, can you? You everyone an apology for your remark, especially Mr. Ebert.

Are you MAN ENOUGH to apologize? Do it. I dare you to apologize.

BE A MAN AND APOLOGIZE.

April 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruno Cruz

Arizona Yankee, do you not understand the significance of quote marks around words? Let me explain: That means those words are being quoted by CNN, not invented by them. It might help you to actually read the article for further explanation before spouting off and making yourself look not too bright.

April 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

I visited the Phoenix/Glendale area over 14 years ago. I remember being appalled by the out of control growth there. Thousands of new homes all identica with ZERO Percent down signsl. Strip mall after strip mall and then a large mall. Drive down the street looking for a McDonalds? Oops! Passed one. No problem. There will be another 5 blocks away! The hotel my wife and I stayed at was new and we were probably the 3rd or 4th people to use the room...another identical hotel from the same company was being built 5 blocks away. Some yahoo from Texas who was attending the same wedding we were stated seriously with his 10 gallon hat and snake skin cowboy boots as we were staring out over a golf course being dowsed with water, "They really know how to develop and have everything under control." I turned to look at him and turned back to the golf course and said, "They are stupid. When the economy goes bad, I don't want to be anywhere near this place because they are going to be so scr3w3d."

So, Arizona Yankee, your red state was one of the worst hit by the financial crisis...and that part of AZ truly was scr3w3d. Predicted by a Blue State Yankee.

April 3, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • That Arizona Yankee feller

sounds like one of those danged Tea-Party/Fox Newstards. Both of those are solely responsible in the dumbing down of the GOP.

April 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MC

Wow, you are one remarkably stupid individual.

*** Roger Ebert also reveals he's going to slow down – or take a "leave of presence," AS HE CALLS IT. ***

April 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • It has been very well established today...

that Arizona Yankee is the stupidest person on the internet. Let's allow him to wallow in that knowledge, bury his pathetic head in shame and then hopefully hone-up on his remedial reading skills going forward. That is all we can hope for these poor, red state conservative regressives - a simple education, and possibly acquisition of some common sense.

April 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • jhysterio

Arizona Yankee getting a massive beatdown....lol, I've never seen one so one sided haha

April 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. THAT IS ONE OF THE LOWEST COMMENTS

I HAVE EVER SEEN IN 7 MONTHS GROSS....MR. EBERT YOUR NUMBER 1 AND WE ARE PULLING FOR YOU

April 3, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Shelly

There are options to radiation & chemotherapy! Do your own resarch obviously, but check your options before you poison your body with that garbage. Radiation & Chemo have been the standard treatment for at least 20 years, and cancer is on the rise. Radio & Chemo do not work!!!!

April 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelly

I wish there was an edit button. Argh...

http://www.phoenixtears.ca Sorry about the misspelling on that last link.

April 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • MC

Give it a rest, you gaseous half-wit.

April 3, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • peridot2

Shelly, it depends how aggressive one's cancer cells are. Macrobiotic diets do work in some cases. Unfortunately with very aggressive cancers, radiation and chemotherapy are all we have.

My ovarian cancer is so rare there have been only 2,000 total cases in the world. No one knows how aggressive it is or what treatment is best for it. My adult son is autistic. I must be there for him, so I chose chemo rather than radiation or a macrobiotic diet. So far it's worked: here I am 5 years later.

April 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  55. LD

Dear Roger, the world has been a much better place for your eloquence and discrimination over these decades... I started watching your and Gene's show in the '70s when I was 9.... I admire what you've been doing since you first beat the cancer – it truly shows the depth of your character, your courage, and great joie de vie. Your wife is an angel – I am happy to know she has been by your side loving you and supporting you. You are wise to take this time to slow down while not giving up on what you love – we are here sending you blessings and waiting for your new projects to emerge. May you be well and blessed during your treatment and recovery. Your fans everywhere are pulling for you.

April 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • LR

WE LOVE EBERT AND WE WANT THE BEST FOR HIM...EBERT TEAM ALL THE WAY

April 3, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • LR

Roger's wife (shown above) is the DIAMOND>

April 3, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • peridot2

There was nothing like it when Siskel and Ebert gave a film two thumbs up. I knew to ask my folks to take me to the movies! It's been a long time missing Gene Siskel, but Roger has carried on without him. I still miss Gene. They had great chemistry together!

April 3, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  56. i'm so happy roger is with the right woman

a woman who truly worries about him (pic above)

April 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Lew

Poor man. He's a fighter, that's for sure.

April 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Can we get what she just did...thanks.

April 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Countess

Wishing you all the best, Mr. Ebert. I pray for strength for you and your wife during this time and for a speedy and complete recovery, but most of all for strong humour during this valley of life!

April 3, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  60. yem

Great guy! All the best.

April 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Anybody becomes negative to Oprah

fast forward gaga...she is not what we call professional...she is a 16 year old in a 46 year old body

April 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  62. roflhar

God Bless you Roger. If not for you and Gene, I might never have grown up watching films like Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'll never forget the review and the previews of the movie I saw on your show. I always loved watching you guys.

April 3, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  63. If he's different...i will send him her antics...

that is what we call unprofessionalism

April 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  64. V¡xen

Sad to hear. God bless.

April 3, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  65. MargieMc

I'm just glad he has love in his life! I wish him the best, and thank him for all the honest reviews over the years.

April 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Cowboy Dan

I'm sorry. I can't type Reece's Peaces might give him some happiness. They are a miracle snack given to us by ET.

April 3, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  67. brenda

roger i am sending healing angel archangel raepheal to be by your side for healing however you need it though this trial. BLESS YOU FOR ALL YOUVE DONE SO FAR. AND MAY YOUR WIFE ALSO HAVE STRENGH THRU THIS.

April 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  68. don marin

it will only be around for awhile then it has too go again

April 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Cowboy Dan

I hope he can eat done Reese's Peace's. ET lives them. Everytime I eat them it makes me feel better. I hope he tries them.

April 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  70. ralph Petrillo

Sorry to hear that it returned. Is there a job opening now?

April 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Good Luck to Chaz also...(photo above)

she is a very devoted woman to roger and i hope it all works out

April 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Anton Dubinski

Get well Roger. I still remember our email argument over "Gladiator" in 2000. Be well.

April 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • davidwCNN

I want to hear more about this Anton. What happened?
      Did you email him to criticize one of his reviews? What did he say back?
      This sounds like it could be a great story. Would you please consider sharing it on CNN iReport? Here's a link: http://ireport.cnn.com/topics/922651

April 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • don't listen too her sweetie

your my boo...

April 3, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • did you poison that nice man...

if he is different when i see him....i will text him her antics

April 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Daniel

I have nothing but mad respect for Roger and Chaz. Good luck to you both.

April 3, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  74. H

Cancer is never good news, but recurrence is pretty much always very bad news indeed. He is facing it with courage. I hope he is able to enjoy the time he has, however long that may be.

April 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  75. dack maddy

I give this news, two thumbs down.....Good luck and God speed........

April 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Judith

God bless you and may you find the rest of your time with us comfortable. I have always enjoyed your reviews and
    comments. You and Gene made your marks in entertainment reporting and reviewing. Of special note, my former
    school administrator I taught for in the 1980's reminded me yearly that you and I looked exactly alike! We have the
    exact same face and must be related way back on our family trees. He always kidded me about being your sister.
    One of my 3 grandsons, now age 7, is on his way to looking like you and me. He definitely has the heart and talent of an
    artist with quick thinking and bright speaking skills.

April 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Jason83

No! Not the thumb. In all honesty, Mr. Ebert I am praying that you successfully beat your type of cancer. You have an inspiration to many for over 5 decades, it truly is unbelievable. I buy your book's every year on film. Just like you, I am a film buff since I can remember. Keep fighting, Mr. Ebert. You are the greatest and you have a tremendous amount of fans with you during this difficult time. Your going to be just fine.

April 3, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaret

agreed he has an amazing fan base and all will follow him forever...

April 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • peridot2

What Jason said. Best wishes and hopes that you'll beat this thing again. You've guided my film watching since the days you were partnered with Gene Siskel. Thanks for all the past help and I look forward to seeing future reviews, Mr Ebert.

April 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  78. M.E.

Gutted. Roger had quite an influence on me as an impressionable little pipsqueak at Conference On World Affairs.

April 3, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  79. sybaris

Donating money to cancer research will do more than 100,000 pairs of hands clasped in prayer ever will.

April 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamhands

They would have had a cure for cancer by now if that was the case. Do you really think all of the money donated to cancer is spent on its research? You're as stupid as the people you criticize for following a religion.

April 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • did you help someone today?

what have you done today...

April 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • AH

How do you know? Ever tried it?

April 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pockets

There is a cure for cancer, it's called Hemp Oil, Big Pharma, does not want you yo know about it, because they make so much money from Chemo, Radiation and surgery. They cannot patent a plant, so Hemp to the Is the enemy, But Hemp Oil is the CURE. Sending money to So-Called cancer research is the problem. Education yourself about Hemp Oil, Google...Run from the Cure and be enlightened...

April 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • sybaris

Hamhands: "They would have had a cure for cancer by now if that was the case."

Do you think about what you want to say before you post it?

If what you are saying were true then there must have been a magic funding amount for finding the cures for polio, chicken pox, malaria, and other diseases.

You need to look up "red herring"

April 3, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Helping

always help whenever i can..i'll be home for a bit...will be able to help my church, town functions, schools..

what a fun few months ahead....i love helping whenever possible.

April 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • gmouser777

1. There is no cure for polio, only a vaccine.
      2. There is no cure for chicken pox, only a vaccine.
      3. There is no cure for malaria, and vaccination isn't particularly effective.

April 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • sybaris

gmouser777

vaccine or cure whatever, science and funding has done more to ease human suffering from disease than prayer ever has.

April 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • princesscuddles

Your opinion, not the opinion of all

April 3, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  80. MM

agreed worry sick...i hope he's ok

April 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • dalewalk

Worried sick? Are you his mother? And what exactly does worrying about the inevitable accomplish?

April 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • cancer is a serious illness...

and i worry for anyone who is stuck with this illness

April 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  81. EE Texan

God Bless. Hope for some recovery, whatever that may be.

April 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. he phoenix

So the cancer is in his hip?

April 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Dick Delson

I've known Roger for a lot off years. He is one of the most talented and nicest guys I've ever met. My prayers are with him

April 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Mr. Flibble

Damn You Obama! This is YOUR fault!

April 3, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  85. California 4

he doesn't have much time....

April 3, 2013 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Pockets

Does anyone in the USA know about Hemp Oil, and that it actually CURES Cancer. Google Run From The Cure. It's all there.

April 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Science!

Dang. Feel sorry for the guy. Not much left of him to chop off.

April 3, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • DB

I may not agree with Mr. Ebert's politics, but I have always enjoyed his movie reviews. Hope you can beat this thing, Mr. E.

April 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  87. ellid

What a shame. He's an amazing man.

April 3, 2013 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Hot Carl

Amazing? You mean like the guy who jumped out of a hot air balloon, broke the sound barrier after 8 seconds, and landed safely amazing?

April 3, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • and his wife....shown in the photo above

amazing woman hands down...

April 3, 2013 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Hot Carl

My mailman is amazing. So is the bagger at my local grocery store. Every day, he gets up, goes to school, comes home. Amazing.

April 3, 2013 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • i love rogers wife....she is s truly caring woman....

and as a black woman she is proud to have him as her man

April 3, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • abdulla oblongotta

What is amazing is that you took the time to not only weigh it, but wait patiently to work it into an online conversation without manhandling the segue. AMAZING!

April 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Rogers wife...(shown in picture)

is a true gem and I also am so happy he finally found a woman who truly cares for him....

April 3, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • boomschlong

Isn't there the slightest of possibilities that she married him for his millions???

April 3, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Tasha

Yes, he wrote the most touching article about her. She has been there for him through out everything. When he wanted to give up through his first bout of cancer she helped him stay strong. They have been married over 20 years. It's really amazing...

April 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Roger's wife (pic above)

I am so proud roger finally found the right woman for him....she cares for roger so much

April 3, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  90. Marina

please pray for this man he is very very sick

April 3, 2013 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  91. Larry

I loved watching Sneak Previews on PBS back in the day. It's so sad that Gene Siskel is gone and that Roger is going through so much.

I've lost a parent and a sibling to cancer. I hope a cure can be found soon. So many great lives were ended way too soon.

April 3, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  92. Just awful

please pray for roger ebert...

April 3, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  93. Cowboy Dan

I lived in WV years ago. In the western part where they filmed cowboy and Indian movies. We would catch hippopotamuses in the creek and ride them around like horses. Sometimes we would have races to see who’s was the fastest. Hippopotamuses are cool.

April 3, 2013 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  94. Jimmy

Poor guy. Hoping he gets better soon

April 3, 2013 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  95. Jonesy

What a heartless comment... Mr. Ebert deserves nothing but our prayers and best wishes.

April 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  96. radar1970

abdulla oblongotta you miss the point completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  97. rick

This sounds personal. What did he do, trash one of your home movies?

April 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  98. spelling parts of the brain wrong

huh? He helped CREATE one of the most watched movie review show in the history of television.

What have you created lately that makes anyone care?

April 3, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  99. So that's how you are --

Let’s hope that you, yourself, have done something of merit or have “built” something in your own pathetic life. Then, when you’re in dire straits at some point down the road, we’ll have reason to wish you well. As it is now, based upon your heartless, subhuman commentary here, we have no reason to wish you well. A resounding “MEH” and accompanying middle finger to you, Abdulla oblongotta.

April 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Mafalda

THIS IS ONE OF THE MEANEST COMMENTS I HAVE EVER SEEN....UGH

April 3, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Mark

Agreed 100% Abdulla.

April 3, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  102. TheWorst

how can someone say such cruel things.....i need too take a break from blogging

April 3, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  103. I am praying for abdulla oblongotta

to be diagnosed with the worst, most painfully ruthless kind of cancer ever imagined. And Mark to, although I suspect both bloggers are one in the same. May you both die a miserable, painful death.

April 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  104. darth cheney

Get a clue. Ebert was/is a very generous critic, and saw merit in many movies that other more snobbish critics refused to see. He wrote his criticism in a way that was both intelligent and accessible and raised the collective moviegoing IQ. Because of that, he "built" (love the teabag indicator, there) 100 times more than you ever will.

April 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  105. scribe1111

Abdulla! Well said sir. WHAT did ebert create, really? NADA. thumbs up or down? That is IT?

LOL.

April 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Rick

What did you build? Or are you trying to kill some minutes of everyone's life with your opinions?

April 3, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  107. MC

You are one sad little half-wit.

April 3, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  108. abdulla oblongotta

Let's not talk about *me*. Let's talk about *Ebert*. He wasn't some all knowing oracle that the masses followed. He missed quite a few movies because the genre was not in favor at the time.

What difference does it make what *I* built?? It's my opinion: indifference toward the man and his plight. He made his LIVING spouting opinions. And guess what? Not all of them were nice. He liked to turn the dagger in tons of reviews. For the record, I've "built" plenty. I pay taxes by building things that people apparently find worth in PAYING me for. He did the same by...you guessed it...BELITTLING other people's work.

I can easily turn the question and say, "What did *you* build?" But what is the point? I live on a castle by the beach, and have 1,000 servants. Do you have 1,001? Kinda silly argument, don't you think? Do you think? Or do you espouse humble servitude to a man who could give two hoots, let alone thumbs, to you, your family, your friends.

Celebrity brings with it critique. I am not jealous of him. I recall fondly watching Siskel and Ebert. I also recall Ebert lambasting Siskel on many movies. And roiling Siskel's opinions with looks of angst as if to say, "Excuse my colleague, he knows not of what he speaks."

He was the dour faced pedantic on the show. Were this Siskel, I would wish him a speedy recovery. But it ain't, so I don't. It always puzzles me how people rush to defend this man. I've watched movies he praised, and I thought stank, and I watched others he thought stank, and I had nothing but praise. To each his own should have been the show's motto, if he had ANY humility. Where is the SINGLE movie he wrote/directed/starred in? Beyond the Valley of the Dolls?? Wow. Two thumbs up, then pulling back the hammer, then aiming the muzzles at my temples.

I built an OPINION. Given this is a message board...come at me, bro. Build a rebuttal. Good job wishing ill will on me and my new pal Mark, btw. I bet in the big global scheme of things, your well wishing him is somehow tainted by that act of karma balance. And to Ebert: Make a ham sandwich. Invite Pauly Shore over to critique your cooking as you critique his movie, where gaffers, and best boys, and boom operators worked and slaved to make, only for you to roll your four eyes at.

April 3, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  109. MC

And once again, you are one remarkably sad little half-wit.

April 3, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  110. NSL

What a jerk you are, hitting someone when they're down.

You're right, he got paid to spout his opinion, and he wrote and spoke that opinion very well, whether you agreed with it or not. Moreover, he always had a well reasoned case he made for his opinion. Yes, he torpedoed some movies and performances, while touting other ones, but that was the job, and as long as it was done well and with facts, we can say job well done. Reviews are very helpful, and if you read his enough, or listened enough, even if you didn't agree with his point of view you learned something, and could gauge much from them as to whether it was worth it to you to see the movie.

And what have you done to save the world?

April 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  111. sara

What are you rambling about in your post? You wish a many ill because he categorizes movies. You're a little emotional tool aren't you? Grow up, you sound very immature.

April 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  112. sharon

That was a heartless thing to say. If you ever find yourself in the grip of a terrible disease, I am sure you would appreciate anyone who prayed for you and wished you well. We never know what we will face down this road of life so we should be careful what we say.

April 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  113. gsperson

I agree with you. Apparenly a lot people confuse a great movie with the person recommending it. Personally, I always liked Siskel better. Ebert could be kind of a douchy snob. I remember Ebert telling the story where someone said to him "I don't want to see the movie Raging Bull. I don't like boxing movies." Ebert replied "You're an idiot!" Nuff said about that. I also remember a Siskel and Ebert program where Ebert said he liked the Jerry Springer show! LOL! I though Siskel was going to start crying. All Siskel could do was shake his head and say was "Ohhhhh Roger."

April 3, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Jason83

And what one Earth is that supposed to mean? Look in the mirror, you might not have too much time to live either. Stop and think before you make comment about somebody going through cancer. Even if you don't know them, show some respect.

April 3, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Bob

Hm, first of all you mean its, not it's. Second, your use of head is not a pun. And third, what you describe isn't karma.

April 3, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Patiat

Bob nailed it on all three counts.

April 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  117. 123elle

Thank you, Bob. You are right on in all that you said.

April 3, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Jack

April 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Ajax

Yeah, yeah. but he was right whether you like it or not.

April 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  120. BOB WAS NOT NAILED YOU WERE AND YOU ARE NOW

SHALOM

April 3, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Ajax

Listen to Jack. He knows all about self righteous.

April 3, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  122. SUCKED HERSELF OUT OF IT...

DID YOU SAVE THAT COMMENT?

April 3, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Jack

@Ajax: No, cleanser-boy, Bob was NOT right and he didn't nail anything. And if if I need a lesson in self-righteousness I'll read the uninformed commentary of somebody who names themself after a bathrooom cleanser. Ebert's comment about Ryan Dunn's death was hateful and small-minded. What part of that does your feeble mind fail to comprehend?

April 3, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Casey

Ryan Dunn. A man who murdered his friend. Yes, let's all grieve.

April 3, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  125. who would call themselves Ajax

how stupid is that

April 3, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Sam

That really puts you down on a lower level than him. Wishing something painful on somebody who makes a comment you disagree with is always an appropriate and matujre way of dealing with the situation.

April 3, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  127. The Grim Reaper

Thanks for the laugh.

April 3, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  128. NOBODY MESSED UP

trying to get herself out of it....watching?

April 3, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Ajax

Have you always been an ass or just on April 3rd, 2013?

April 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  130. twalk

hmmmmm..... he is not colored. His wife is colored.

April 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Carl

April 3, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  132. runner305

It says right in the article: "The 70-year-old already lost his voice and much of his jaw after battling thyroid and salivary gland cancer."

April 3, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Patrick

Can you show us your ticket stub for Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo?

April 3, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Overheard conversation

THAT WILL BE ENDING ALSO.

April 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  135. danielwalldammit

What a remarkably insipid comment! Enjoy your little moment of wretch!

April 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  136. WASHED UP TROLL

You need to retire from being an idiot who shouts on the internet because your mommy didn't give you enough attention when you were 4.

April 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Washed Up Hacker

she'll be def shortly...

April 3, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Margaret

I love mrs ebert.

April 3, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Jason Glugla

Man, you have some real hatred in you. I hope that one day you are able to come to grips with it and wish others the best rather than evil.

April 3, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  140. agree why do people hate.

sheesh

April 3, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  141. paul232

Huh?

April 4, 2013 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  142. Funkmaster J

Who's the white chick in the photo with the black dude?

April 4, 2013 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  143. Gabboff

Misinformation, distorted sense of reality, biased opinion and outright lies – typical commentary from a Fox News viewer.

April 4, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |