'Game of Thrones' returns to record ratings
April 1st, 2013

'Game of Thrones' returns to record ratings

"Game of Thrones" is only getting hotter.

On Sunday, a record 4.4 million viewers tuned in for the third season premiere of the HBO series. That's a 13 percent increase since its premiere last year, according to Entertainment Weekly.

When the night's two repeat airings are added in, viewership escalates to an impressive 6.7 million. Not bad, considering that it was competing with a holiday, as it was Easter Sunday, as well as the third season finale of AMC's "The Walking Dead," which also aired at 9 p.m. ET.

"Walking Dead," meanwhile, set its own record. According to the network, Sunday's finale was watched by 12.4 million, with 8.1 million in the adult demographic, making it the largest audience in the zombie series' history.

Over on the History Channel, the two-hour finale of "The Bible" miniseries wasn't far behind, pulling in 11.7 million viewers.

But the difference between "The Bible," "TWD" and "Game of Thrones" is that only the latter is just getting started. The premiere, as critics noted, may have been more leisurely paced than other episodes, but it also had to set up viewers for the multiple storylines the fantasy series contains. As The Hollywood Reporter put it, season three in a nutshell is "insanely ambitious."

But given the ratings it's drawing, it's fair to say there are TV viewers who are willing to hunker down and draw out the various threads. EW predicts that the viewership for the season opener bodes well for more highs to come.

Filed under: Game of Thrones • television

1. America Donations Networ

I like the helpful information you supply in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at again right here frequently. I am relatively sure I'll be informed a lot of new stuff proper here! Good luck for the following!

April 26, 2013 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Amber

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great written and come with almost all important infos. I would like to look extra posts like this .

April 26, 2013 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. Get Lost JLO

lol

April 5, 2013 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. infovipconcierge

It is a nice show . I have got more information from here about gmae of throne http://www.vipmoviepremieretickets.com/the-great-gatsby-premiere-party/

April 5, 2013 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeremy

eubulus

April 4, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. HBO Fail

It’s time for HBO to wake up. There is a reason that this entire season will be the most pirated show of all time (not a distinction you should want). It’s not available for download on iTunes until 2014. I will not get HBO connected for just one show. I would pay per episode or for a season pass to watch the third season in my own time on my ipad in the same week that it airs. I have downloaded (and paid for) seasons one and two on iTunes. It is easy for people to get HD quality downloads online for free. I would rather support HBO and pay you to get the episodes live or at least the same week they air. Like I said, Wake Up, and get with the times, you are losing a lot of money. The people that are pirating this show obviously want to see it without subscribing to the entire network, give them a legal way to do it that puts the money where it belongs.

April 2, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • *

April 2, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • darkbraincomics

Actually, it is great news for HBO that the show is generating interest and providing an incentive to sign up for their service. We need more unique content that is not brain-dead network TV. As for the pirates, who cares – they are ok with breaking the law, you aren't going to get to them as customers. The people unwilling to pay for content are catered to by network TV and mega-ad barrage marketing.

April 3, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. someone who never speaks that much...

NEVER SHUTS UP...KILLERS CONCERT SHHH

April 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. OBY

Please do havea listen and support real music ....http://www.hulkshare.com/i2iopxqwa8zk

April 2, 2013 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. Good Night

i have to decide what i am wearing tomorrow and i need too put a mask on my face because my face is flushed
    from you morons

April 1, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Charlotte

DaaaaaaaNg it's a midgett.

April 1, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dēfaecātus

I was a good show last night. Managed to hold my poooop until the closing credits, but missed previews for the next episode as I had to change my underpants.

April 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. anthony

Game of Thrones is the best show on television. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |