Lil Wayne reveals he has epilepsy
March 29th, 2013

Lil Wayne reveals he has epilepsy

There was so little information surrounding Lil Wayne's hospitalization two weeks ago that at one point, it seemed the rapper was either on his deathbed, or just resting up.

But on Thursday, Wayne called in to Los Angeles radio station Power 106 and explained that the seizure that landed him in the hospital was far from his first.

"The thing is, the bad news is, I'm an epileptic - I'm prone to seizures," the 30-year-old rapper explained. "This isn't my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh seizure; I've had a bunch of seizures, y'all just never hear about 'em."

The reason why this latest incident was so serious was because he had three seizures in a row, something that's never happened to him before, he told DJ Felli Fel.

"This time it got real bad," he said. "The third one, my heart-rate went down to like 30 percent - basically, I could've died. So that was why it was so serious."

The reason for the seizures, he continued, "is just plain stress, no rest and over-working myself. But that's just typical me though."

Indeed, the work hasn't stopped for the rapper. Wayne's just put out another album, "I Am Not A Human Being II," and has plans to embark on a tour this summer.

Filed under: Celebrities • Lil Wayne • Music

« Previous entry
  1. Conchita Davidoff

Epileptic seizures result from abnormal, excessive or hypersynchronous neuronal activity in the brain. About 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy, and nearly 80% of epilepsy occurs in developing countries. ""*^

Our blog site http://www.healthdigest101.comhv

June 20, 2013 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bob

The show (Get to) The Point has to be the worst show in CNN's history, every other network has gotten rid of Donnie Deutsch, and now you have him? The guy is way too full of himself for anyone to take him serious

April 3, 2013 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. Many of these comments are so racists

people need too get over it....

April 1, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. angel03

Goodness..i may not like his music, but he is talented and he is great at his craft. Keep religion (devil music) out of it. Not everything needs to turn to religion people..my mom is epileptic and has had over 30 seizures in one evening. No drugs..no alcohol and yes stress and no sleep makes them worse..

April 1, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dan

That's his story and he is sticking to it!

April 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Wayne

Lil Wayne might be gay...he likes guys in army shorts....(meaning since everyone call me black...let's not get offended now) its all about the love...

April 1, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wayne

Lil Wayne might be gay...he likes guys in army short...

April 1, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Krandal

that would explain his poor taste in music.

April 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fonowitz

I agree there is no talent...

April 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Android

He's a no talent hack. Nothing more, nothing less.

April 1, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Meh

Career bolster via media complete
    countdown reset to 15 minutes....
    pssst hey lil buddy....your illnesses should be private...kthnx

April 1, 2013 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Racists...can't stand them

yuck

March 30, 2013 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. Can't Believe

Devil music. Pure evil, it is. This rapper suffers from Divine intervention and nothing more. God would allow his health to improve if he would stop spreading Satan's lies and follow the path of Jesus to salvation. His time of reckoning has come.

March 30, 2013 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. MomOf5

My husband suffers from these seizures. Once, he had one when we went grocery shopping landing him buckets of flowers. Workers wanted to call an ambulance, I stopped them explaining to them that there's no need to call paramedics for a seizure that lasts under five minutes or if serious injury has occurred, head trauma, etc. Anyways, his seizure lasted for a minute with concerned and curious bystanders observing the situation. Now, my husband feels sort of embarrassed shopping at this particular grocery store because of the scene his seizure created. I too suffer from seizures but they're just a fluttering of my eyes for a second or two. They're not the type where you drop to the floor unconscious while the body has a full convulsion. Mine are controlled by anti-convulsants, it's the result of a closed head injury. My husband's is hereditary from his maternal side of the family. Back to me, as a child my friends could never understand how I wouldn't fall out of a tree during a mini-seizure and I always answered because they have never interfered with my conscious state of mind, my balance, etc. As a child I was on a different anti-convulsant medication and I suffered break through seizures not that it hindered me. I have driven a vehicle for over 25 years and never once have a had an accident, a speeding ticket, nothing. I always fear that some doctor reports me to the ministry ignorant to the fact that I'm a capable seizure-free driver and even if I did have a mini-seizure, it would be no more distracting compared to a sneeze.

March 29, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MomOf5

"under five minutes or if serious injury has occurred"

or if should read unless serious injury has occurred.

March 29, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Stuffed with a Sokman

So is HE the one that shot the baby in the face?

March 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. msindependent

I applaud lil wayne for addressing his eplipesy. I too suffer from siezures. I was discharged from the military becaues of it. I never knew I had it until then. I found it very difficult to talk to people about it. Everyone has thier opinions of what a person with Epilipsy looks like, but they have tendency to be wrong. Its was very brave of him to talk about it. If I don't get rest or I am stressed I have a tendency to have more. God willing I have gone almost a year without one. Every day is blessing. My biggest fear is having one in my sleep. I'm praying for all those that suffer from eplipsey and any other ailment. May God be with you :)

March 29, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |