'Independence Day' director on sequel plans
March 28th, 2013

'Independence Day' director on sequel plans

It seems we haven't seen the last of the aliens that blew up the White House - and every other major field trip destination - back in the 1996 blockbuster "Independence Day."

According to Entertainment Weekly, the director of the original film, Roland Emmerich (who has also directed other disaster films like "2012" and the upcoming "White House Down") is planning not just one, but two sequels.

Called "ID Forever Part 1" and "ID Forever Part 2," the pair of follow-ups will pick up 20 years after the first "Independence Day."

"The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back," Emmerich explained. "They know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that's 20 or 25 years."

The filmmaker described the sequels as a "parallel history" in which the humans have rebuilt, but have also "harnessed all this alien technology."

"It's still some of the same characters, but also new younger ones," he said. "It's a little bit like the sons take over."

So does that mean Will Smith will once again reprise his role as Captain Steven Hiller, and welcome the new aliens to earth? You shouldn't count it. While Bill Pullman has confirmed that he's coming back as President Whitmore, Smith's rep declined to comment - not that Emmerich is dead set on having the star, anyway.

"He’s too big for a movie like this. It would be a Will Smith movie," he told Entertainment Weekly. “It’s Independence Day. And Independence Day was always not about one person. It was always a group thing. And [Will] is too big a star."

1. oh_please

Why do these articles STAY OPEN for comment when other articles get closed for comments the VERY NEXT DAY????

April 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Canz

Instead of a made up virus, lets install Java into their mothership this time and take remote control of it thru all the IPhones in the world and force the ship to fly into the sun...

April 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robyn

Please, no more, Earth surrenders. Kill us all now!
    Please, No more bad Roland Emmerich movies!

April 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. palintwit

Sarah Palin's next book is due out by Thanksgiving, just in time for holiday shopping. Watch the tea party patriots get chumped once again when they plunk down their hard earned dollars for more useless drivel from their Queen Mother. Then watch the Queen Mother laugh all the way to the bank. Stupid, toothless inbreds.

April 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. citizenUSA

The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back," Emmerich explained. Who heard that in ID4?. Especially as others have said, the ENTIRE population was supposed to be on the destroyed mother ship. I can understand other aliens but not the same race.

April 1, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • oh_please

Uh....no.
      You cant fit an ENTIRE population of a species onto a mothership....it would have to be as large as an entire planet....
      you did watch the movie right? And uh...no its not a made up virus...if you read the book ALL of our technology is based on the aliens tech that we captured from their landing in the 1940s....THEIR operating system is what OURS is based on....

April 18, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Meh

Ok issue # 1:
    They said that their whole population traveled from planet to planet(as said by the president when he was having his little mind-meld with the alien in the hospital) so why would there be any left once the big ship got nuked and the smaller ships had their main guns taken out and were destroyed?
    issue # 2: refer to issue number 1 and add to that because its just a bad idea.

April 1, 2013 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Sci-Fi not Shakespeare

We got that information from an alien mind meld… its very possible and even probable that there were some translation issues. That… and its fiction. Anything can be re-written. Let me guess.. you are one of those people that was so disappointed in the Transformers plot?…lol.

April 1, 2013 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Meh

awww Im sorry, did I punch a big ol' hole in your favorite movie? It's ok...momma will be there when you get home.

April 1, 2013 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • justin

Dude, I just watched the movie. He NEVER said the ENTIRE population was on that ship. You're just lying

April 24, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brad

I hope Jeff Goldblum is back in the sequels, and saves the planet by getting drunk again and having an epiphany.

March 30, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • So, Kelly, you are

one of those tea-party idiot ass-clowns, huh? How is that little boycott working out for you?

April 1, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Kelly....tell us how you felt on election day, when America rubbed your nose in dog poo.

April 1, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • marinas

hahahaha

April 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

So...

You don't support Barack Obama, and thus hate Will Smith. Is it because it's a black thing? Or you just voicing your opinions?

April 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. emilyquilys

I hope Jeff Goldblum is also back. That was a good part of the story, too.

March 30, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Jeff Goldblum. Actiing 101.

Uh uh uh uh...stutter. A lot.

AND THEN...AND THEN...AND THEN...RAISE YOUR VOICE.

then, in the next sentence, lower your voice and pretend you are saying something important.

Uh uh uh.....

Repeat forever.

April 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaret

they are repeated on purpose-

April 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Judd Hirsch. Acting 101 (independance day variation)

Oy!

I'm acting like a borst belt comic. Oy!

See how jewish I am. Oy!

Nobody has spoken like this in over 100 years. Oy!

It's a mitzvah if I ever get work again. Oy!

April 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • the internet

I too hope Jeff Goldblum is black.

April 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. THAT'S HOW YOU WALK INTO MY BLOGGING TOO..

YOU SEE YOUR NOT GOOD AT IT...

March 30, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. you don't have too put your comment on top of mine..

THAT'S THE POINT OF WHY I DO IT....IDIOT

March 30, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. M.A.P, (Mothers against poo)

Will Smith is too big an ego maniac over actor for any film. Period.

March 30, 2013 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. may and i set her up on the text and she went for it...

pos

March 30, 2013 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. Next Sauce party at my house so she'll be able too watch us eat it

Karen, mom and dad

March 30, 2013 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. we have made her look foolish soooo many times

she has proven she is addicted.....

March 30, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. She is confirmed however -- we find her ignorable...

business as usual...

March 30, 2013 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Face The Music

living through blogs and overheard conversations that we are not sure are real or not is a problem....
    please help these people and most of all pray the get off the tool.

March 29, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. gah

will smith used to be one of my favorite actors, but he's lost that "relatability" for me. some stars never have it, but to me he did. i don't think i've gone out of my way to see one of his films since hitch

March 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. wrap2tyt

Will Smith is all about building Will Smith's inflated ego... now he and Jada are all about pimping out their (un)talented kids to bore us to death.

March 29, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Todd Roderick

Why name the sequel after the same American holiday? Mix it up a little; go with Arbor Day or Flag Day.

March 29, 2013 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sokman

D@mn dude you gave that a little thought huh? As far as Bill Pullman still being President, after society was pretty much destroyed, I'm sure they could overlook the whole 2 term limit for the guy that led the assault on the aliens. Or maybe they mean President the way we refer to Presidents Bush, Clinton, etc. today. I'll watch the 1st sequel, which will determine whether I watch the next one.

March 29, 2013 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  21. BuzzerKiller

The President may have misinterpreted when it saw the drone alien's thoughts. Maybe he perceived it to be the whole civilization moving from planet to planet, but perhaps what he did not quite see is the fact that the aliens could have split into different fleet units, and there is a mother ship for each fleet unit. With their technology, it wouldn't be too hard to fathom that they could have split their forces in half. Also, to note, it only showed Earth destroying the ships already on Earth, but on the graph which Levenson (sp?) made, he had the Mother Ship with an Attacker and Defender ship guarding it. The nuclear bomb could not have taken out those two ships as well. Perhaps they escaped the explosion and sent a beacon to the other fleet unit for reinforcements. Could easily park themselves on the Moon.

March 29, 2013 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob N. Ferapples

How many times have you watched that movie? Once was enough for me.

March 30, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • citizenUSA

Don't feel bad. There are many of us who've watched this movie multiple times. It wasn't the greatest story or the worst. Great special effects to back in the day when CGI wasn't the absolute norm. Just remember, when the President's mind was being "probed" by the alien, he gave some detailed information that does not appear to me, to have just been a preception but who knows how it'll be explained.

April 1, 2013 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  22. Sadie

I feel alone on this one, but I really liked ID. I found it pretty entertaining. I'm a little sci-fi geeky anyway. I'm looking forward to the next one.

March 28, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • TriumphTheInsultComicDog

You're not alone on this one. Despite the lack of butt bombs in it, I too liked Independence Day.

March 29, 2013 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
    • PhinsFan

You're not alone. It's great on Blu ray and my surround sound lol.

March 29, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • citizanUSA

After reading some of these comments I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. Some people just can't be simple and say they did not loke it and why without making those who did like it feel like idiots. We all saw the goof-ups and have our own ideas about how a scene could have played out but I'm with you that it was a pretty entertaining movie. I think it was one of the best opening 20 minutes I've seen.The whole movie flowed fairly well. They showed us the problem, how it needed to be dealt with and how we did successfully deal with it.

April 1, 2013 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  23. GrayAlien

Well, it looks like Roland is rewriting history as well. The President in ID, after being choked telepathically by the captured alien, says he saw how the aliens moved from world-to-world, moving their entire civilization, consuming as they go, like locusts.

March 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jerry

Ummm a bit of a factual error here, If the movie takes place 20 years later how can Bill Pullman reprise his role as the President when the timeframe exceeds the 8 years he is legally able to serve?

March 28, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blake

Does not mean he somehow lost re-election 1st go around (In which he could be elected later) or things changed and the term limit was lifted given that pretty much the entire US Govt was wiped out sans himself.

March 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. We are done for today....

i hate repeats too--have a great night!!!!!

March 28, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jon

Independence Day WAS a stupid movie, but I remember seeing it as a kid with my brother and friend. It was an event for me, and I was pumped. I won't be going to the theater to see the sequels, but I'm sure that at some point I'll check them out.

March 28, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • nisroc00

It was not that bad, look at other disaster movies that were huge and fall in same category. Armageddon was as comical ID but both really not worth watching today. Ghostbusters was huge back in 85 but today is a very stupid movie.

March 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

to nisroc

Blasphemy!!! Ghostbusters is still a great movie!!!

March 28, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Observer

The original was stupid, so I hold out no hope for any sequels.

March 28, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Techno Viking

Will Smith turned down Django because he wasn't the main character. I'm sure he'll turn this down if it isn't a movie starring Will Smith. Even if he's back for it I'm not sure I'll be excited to see it in the theater. Hopefully the new ones have a better plot. I still not sure how the aliens let their advanced computer system get hacked by a Mac laptop.

March 28, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • oh_please

Will SMith is not black enough to play Django ok?

HE has too much "american" in him. Too much white ancestery. You dont get cheekbones and a face like that being african black...look in africa...see anyone that loooks like will smith???? No...because africans dont look like that,

April 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tug Romney

Chill pill, dude. Chillax...

March 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |