Usher, Shakira debut to solid ratings on 'The Voice'
March 26th, 2013

Usher, Shakira debut to solid ratings on 'The Voice'

The spinning red chairs were the same when NBC's "The Voice" returned on Monday night, but the coaches panel had changed a bit.

Instead of Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera, viewers watched Usher and Shakira weigh in on the new season four contenders during the two-hour season premiere. Love the switch or hate it, NBC is likely patting itself on the back after taking a look at the ratings.

According to Entertainment Weekly, "The Voice" returned with 13.4 million watching and 4.7 rating in the crucial 18-48 demographic. Those numbers are down from "The Voice's" prior spring premiere, but that also aired after the Super Bowl. In comparison with the fall 2012 season opener, the series' ratings in the adult demo grew by 12 percent.

As for how well Usher and Shakira gelled with returning judges Adam Levine and Blake Shelton, that's still up for debate.

MTV thought the R&B star and Latin songstress brought an energy that seemed to be a "natural fit." The network found Shakira to be "fun and feisty," while Usher "played it cool and smooth for the most part."

Rolling Stone, on the other hand,thought the new pair "didn't bring the same kooky unpredictability that their predecessors did," with Shakira having a tendency to be  "overly wordy" and Usher "too laid-back."

But the good news for "The Voice," observed Salon, is that the reality singing competition appears to be less vulnerable when it comes to swapping out judges than other shows of its kind.

"Not because the judges don't matter, but because the format makes it harder for the judges to be boring," Salon's Willa Paskin said. "Even if they have nothing insightful or sharp to say about the singing, at least they have something insightful and sharp (or, fine, semi-insightful and semi-sharp) to say about each other. 'The Voice' remains a more polished piece of entertainment than its peers."

What did you make of "The Voice's" new coaching panel?

Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Shakira • television • The Voice

1. Sam Ullrich

It has been a real treat watching Usher and Shakira rise to the top (like cream) on The Voice. Their hands on approach is very modern and fresh. Not to diss Cee Lo and Christina, but their mentoring skills seemed to leave much to be desired. Usher actually teaches his protegees how to move and work the stage like professionals. I hope these two judges stay on for another season or two. They are very humble and likable.

May 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. selena g

The new judges are awesome. Ceelo was horrible. He can't even sing and Xtina is beyond trashy. Shakira and Usher bring so much more life to the show. While I love Adam and Blake, they don't carry the show. Maybe when Xtina and ceelo were in this but now they all work together! Soooooo much better!

April 8, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. KK

I watched the show maybe twice before...but I'm a full time customer now! I loved Shakira and Usher added to the panel. They are so much better than Christina and CeeLo (who the heck is that guy anyway). They couldn't even keep my attention on that show. I will watch every week now! Thanks C&C for hightailin' it outta there...

March 28, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

I miss Cee Lo's great big <======3

March 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chill

right on its tail...do not fret....

March 27, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOOM

Ayou never disappoint us-–

March 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ann

Didn't like the new judges. Not as quirky. And when the contestants sing, the audience is too loud, which defeats the purpose of not seeing the contestants. Prejudicial and obnoxious. Christina gave the show more gravitas, as she was picky, and Ceelo made it more interesting. Not sure what Shakira and Usher give it. They're both nice, but pretty boring, and not serious enuf.

March 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hacked into michelle conversation...

the old coaches are staying....

March 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Peche

I love the new judging panel. It’s so much better with Usher and Shakira! I hope the old coaches never come back, haha. I’m really excited for tonight’s episode. Unfortunately, I won’t be home to watch The Voice live because I work late nights at DISH during the week. My DISH Hopper is all set up to record it for me, though, since it automatically records all the primetime shows on NBC every night. I’ll be able to turn it on as soon as I get home!

March 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chef

those lezbeans tore me apart you need too cut me some slack.....it had nothing too do with him anywaze.

March 26, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. go home jodie and tilda...

March 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NJ STAR

Missing me some CG & CA...the rating are what they are because of Adam & Blake..they really make the show....but I am still missing CG & CA... Can't wait till they return cee lo & Chrisina were so missed...nothing against the two temp judges but I miss the "original judges"... Blake is just too funny & so is Adam.... :-) Glad to see them back...

March 26, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Whitney

The new host seem like embiciles.

March 26, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. pitt04

EXCELLENT show last night. What a surprise to see Judith Hill who was in "THIS IS IT", with Michael Jackson, on the solo with him "I JUST CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU".
    If she was scouted out by Michael; she has already won "THE VOICE.
    Her voice is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

March 26, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Belle J

The new panel is amazing! The voice is a true talent show and not a stage for judges bickering as is with idol. I will be sad if Christina and cee lo come back.....and please oh please don't get rid of Adam and Blake!

March 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ameerah

I loved the new panel! I was tired of Christina acting like she better than everyone.

March 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |