Overheard: What Candace Bushnell thinks should've happened for Carrie Bradshaw
March 26th, 2013

Overheard: What Candace Bushnell thinks should've happened for Carrie Bradshaw

The debate over Carrie Bradshaw's relationship with the frustratingly flighty Mr. Big went on for years, and now writer Candace Bushnell is saying her piece.

The author, who wrote both "Sex and the City" and the prequel "The Carrie Diaries," which The CW adapted into a series this year, told The Daily Beast that in real life, Carrie wouldn't have ended up as Mrs. Big.

"I don’t know," Bushnell said. "In real life, I don’t think women end up with that character, and if they do, they usually get divorced after a year."

As it turns out, Bushnell doesn't think Carrie would've held a career as a newspaper sex and dating columnist for that long, either. As a result, the sequel to 2008's "Sex and the City" - which in itself was a follow-up to the HBO series - took a different direction than Bushnell would've intended.

"I think with the second movie, Carrie Bradshaw couldn’t be an ingenue anymore. But I think they were stuck doing what the audience wanted. Realistically, a middle-aged woman who was married without children would be much more focused on her career and less focused on this Mr. Big: 'Does he love me?' ... 'Does he still not love me?'" Bushnell said.

"If it were up to me, the second movie would have been Carrie Bradshaw decides to run for mayor and Samantha helps her. It would get into some real issues of what happens when you’re part of a relationship and the woman is ambitious. What does that do to her relationship with Mr. Big? To me, that would be interesting. But they were not going to go there."

When it comes to "The Carrie Diaries" - which SJP has called "odd" - Bushnell takes a more defensive stance.

"It is a really good show! And interestingly, last weekend, I had a couple girlfriends over, and we were watching Sex and the City, and then we watched some Carrie Diaries. There are a lot of surprising similarities in terms of tone and the kinds of antics the characters get into. So I think they’re doing a good job."

Filed under: movies • television

1. hey big

forget hot...you need fun in your life mr. big....diz ain't it

April 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sean Connery

I would have started with someone hotter

April 3, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cristian

Some do. They're just as stupid as his character.

April 1, 2013 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. MayWong

Reblogged this on May's Closet and commented:
    I need more of SATC!

March 30, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. M

we cannot have future women think this is the way to live by relying on tools....

March 30, 2013 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Amen

eventually you need to be with someone who is better suited

March 30, 2013 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. agreed

sjp continues not too be a good role model for women....voted: not newsworthy from everyone-

March 30, 2013 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. Amen to that.

I hated Big from the first time I saw him. He's pompous and has no respect for anybody other than himself. Carrie was way out of his league. I think that whole part of the plot was seriously damaging to women who watch the show. You can't be with someone who treats you that way.

March 30, 2013 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Amen is right

you have too make a choice are you going too be with this type of person the rest of your life or leave them...
      there are only 2 choices

March 30, 2013 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Confirmed

they wound up marrying

March 30, 2013 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. BlueDestiny

I was Mr. Big to a few ladies, very similar stories. She's right, the ones you want to stay together don't, and not for good reasons. Looking back, I wish I had married the Carrie's, and while both parties are responsible for why it never happened, and why they never made the commitment to each other, what was missing was faith in each other, and for the woman to ... as Dr. Laura would say ... care and feed for the man. If any of those ladies who I would have been very happy with had said, "you're the best, you're the one, I believe in you, I want you in my life forever," things would have been much different. Instead, I got the same thing Mr. Big got, with abivilance, lack of commitment, lack of affirmative statements, plenty of friend's benefits... and ... we all went different directions.

March 29, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ginger

Wow, look at the insults here. Parker gets the last laugh, with tons of money and three beautiful kids. Now go back to your miserable, boring lives please.

March 28, 2013 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. barttmon

You "say your peace" you don't "say your piece".

Wow.

March 28, 2013 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • sue59

Sorry barttmon – you're wrong. Do a google search of the grammar websites if you don't believe me. You "hold your peace" and "say your piece".

March 29, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nancy

With all due respect to Ms Bushnell, I have to disagree on her thoughts as to what happens to Carrie Bradshaw after the last movie ended.
    Mayor? Really? Carrie isn’t even a registered voter, and the only time she took any interest in politics – it was because she was dating a politician for a couple of weeks.
    And what “type of character” is Mr. Big? A successful, handsome businessman – who would be a terrific husband for anyone – especially a girl like Carrie.
    He was the love of her life, as she was his. It took them so long to finally get together – to think that they would divorce after a year is just ludicrous.
    Perhaps that has happened to other successful women in NYC – but in my heart, I know that Carrie and Big will always be together.

March 27, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Timmie

Oh no! It's a man with a horse

March 27, 2013 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. again gaga's fault --- stop pushing buttons...

not necessary..

March 26, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nance

Why is that guy hugging a mule?

March 26, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Wilbur

Neeeeeeiiiiiigggghhhhhh. Ptttttttthhhhhh.

March 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Wilbur

I think after she lost several horse races they would have put her to pulling a plow. When she got older they mighta made glue or dog food out of her. Sometimes they do that to old horses.

March 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Gross

I liked the episode where they all had yeast infections and had to walk around sans panties.

March 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Samantha

I think the character would maybe have turned lesbian after dating so many creepy guys. Like that Andrea on The Walking Dead.

March 26, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |