NBC's 'Smash' banished to Saturdays
March 14th, 2013

NBC's 'Smash' banished to Saturdays

Starting in April, those still watching "Smash" will have to get used to a new schedule.

NBC's struggling sophomore series, which centers on the creation of a Marilyn Monroe musical, will now air on Saturdays at 9 p.m. starting April 6.

Starring "Idol" alum Katharine McPhee as an aspiring Broadway star, Megan Hilty as McPhee's seasoned competition, Debra Messing and Christian Borle as the creators of the "Marilyn" show and Angelica Huston as a producer, "Smash" went through a spate of changes between season one and season two.

Out went series creator Theresa Rebeck and in came "Gossip Girl" producer Joshua Safran, along with a few notable guest stars, such as Jennifer Hudson.

And yet, "Smash's" ratings have been unremarkable. Its second season premiere was down 71%, and its March 5 episode marked a new low for the series.

Although the network has assured fans that they'll get to see season two of "Smash" in its entirety - all 17 episodes, according to a statement - others are taking this as a sign that the show is close to its end.

"NBC’s ambitious effort to turn the creation of a Broadway musical into a television drama essentially ended Wednesday," said the New York Times' Bill Carter. "[S]aturday night is now where networks send failing shows to die."

Although "Smash" is often joked about as the series many viewers like to "hate-watch," it seems there wasn't enough to inspire watching the show at all during season two.

"While Safran and his team gave the show a cosmetic facelift, they failed to address the underlying issues that have plagued 'Smash' since its second episode — specifically, weak, repetitive storytelling and scenes that are never nearly as captivating as the show’s songs," says Entertainment Weekly's Hillary Busis."'Smash‘s' biggest crime, though, may be its shift away from bold, ambitious ridiculosity. Last year, the show was enjoyably nuts; now it’s just mediocre."

Meanwhile, NBC's new reality dating series, "Ready for Love," will be on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. after "The Voice," starting on April 9.

"Whitney" will air its season finale on March 27 at 8 p.m. ET, and "The New Normal" will have its season ender on April 2 at 9 p.m. ET. "Go On" will shift to Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. on April 4 and April 11, the latter of which will be that comedy's season finale.

Filed under: Smash • television

1. amandalancer

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE SERIES FINALE. KAREN SHOULD OF WON THE TONY BECAUSE SHE DEFIED ALL ODDS, I MEAN HER SHOW FROM DOWNTOWN THEATER GOT NOMINATED FOR A TONY. AND IVY? REALLY? THE SYMPATHY VOTE BECAUSE SHE'S PREGNANT. AND BOMBSHELL WAS NOT THE BEST SHOW, THEY HAD MORE DRAMA THEN THEY DID TALENT. AND WHAT JULIA TOOK THIS LONG TO GET DIVORCED AND SHE'S JUST GONNA PICK UP WHERE SHE LEFT OFF WITH THE CHEATER? ALSO JIMMY WENT THROUGH THE WHOLE 'GETTING MY ACT TOGETHER' PROCESS AND GOT KYLE HIS TONY BUT HE ENDS UP IN JAIL? HE HAD TO CHANGE HIS NAME, CARRY A SECRET, AND LOOK OVER HIS SHOULDER ONLY FOR THAT GIRL TO BE FINE?! AND WE ALL KNOW KAREN HAS COMMITMENT ISSUES SHE'S NOT GOING TO BE WAITING EIGHTEEN MONTHS WITH AN UNDYING LOVE FOR JIMMY AS WE ALL KNOW HE WILL EXPECT. DEREK IS A MESS THAT LOVES SUCCESS AND MONEY HE WOULD NOT OF TAKEN THE PREGNANCY THAT WELL. IF IVY WAS GOING TO TAKE A BREAK AFTER THE TONY'S WHY DID SHE WIN?! THAT ENDING SONG WAS HORRIBLE, IT DIDN'T RELATE TO THE SHOW OR IT'S CHARACTERS. I LOVE THIS SHOW AND HAVE WATCHED EVERY EPISODE AND THIS FINALE DID NOT DO THE SERIES JUSTICE.

May 27, 2013 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Victoria

I am in the over fifty generation and my friends and I adore this show. Each and every one of the actors are great in their characters...I used to be a stage actress myself and so much of the drama is reality~being on live stage is a blast, a hoot and so many many wonderful things. This show is one of the few decent things on tv that don't delve into a fake reality of what someones life is not, and of killings and bloodshed and hate! Let's face it folks, haven't we had enough insanity in our lives? Lets get back to goodness and good entertainment. No show is perfect for everyone but this one is really high up on my list and my gang and we plead to the powers that be...please bring this back~

May 26, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kezzy

I loved the first season of Smash – but firing Therese Rebeck was a huge mistake. The first season was outlandish at times but it was entertaining! I love the music, the acting – everything was great! Second season disappointing – Karen has become Ivy (needy, one expression, pathetic) the more Jimmy treats her badly, the faster she runs after him. All the characters seems to have become depressingly not themselves! Where is Tom and Julia's 'we share a brain", what happened about Julia's maybe pregnancy! Ahhhhhhhhhh... Please don't cancel – bring back Therese and her great writing! Bring back Michael Swift and Ellis – they were so much more interesting than Jimmy, with his perpetual spoilt brat/sneering totally unlikable character!

May 8, 2013 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

Honestly, I never thought a show like this would appeal to me, but it really is a brilliant show and I would be disappointed to see it go. This is the best musical show on television imho.

April 21, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John J Smith

I have enjoyed watching Season 1 of Smash and was thrilled to see NBC bring it back for Season 2! The second season had a rocky start but I have found this season refreshing and captivating. Unfortunately I have had to play "hide and seek" when NBC moved the show to Saturday night. Not sure why we need one more crime investigation show. And would you please stop with the reality shows! Please! Smash has been different, bringing a new genre to television that keeps me and my friends grappling for one more episode. It's death may be on the horizon, ratings ( not quality) drives programming on the networks. I have enjoyed , if only for a few brief seasons, a look at the oldest and most respected medium in entertainment, the "Theatre!" Smash has kept me singing and wishing for move programming similar to this – I will never forget this wonderful show!!!

April 21, 2013 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sherry

Yet another show the networks are going to just "give up on"! I am SOO tired of falling in love with a new show and then 1-2 seasons in, it just gets cancelled! Why waste all this money on new shows year after year?! Wouldn't it make more sense to invest more into shows that already have viewers and allow the word to spread?!?! SO many shows the last 5 year have really got me involved and then BAM! CANCELLED after just 1 or 2 seasons... It's no wonder people stop watching your new shows, you just tease people...
    And on another note.. I REALLY don't think the rating system they use is at all accurate anymore.... look how many people use DVR or other ways of watching tv.. I personally don't even have cable but what everything on HULU Plus or Netflix... and some people like to record half a season and then marathon it while on vacation... I just think they need a new way to get an honest picture of how many people REALLY watching!!

April 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eddie d

I am bitterly disappointed to find out the the show I love so much is not the "smash" I thought it was. While I agree that this seasons plot lines could use a little work, it isn't bad enough to kill one of the most refreshing and original shows on television. Especially when it's replacement is just another ridiculous and shallow reality series. How pathetic is it that NBC is doing their best to kill off this amazing show. Instead of working on the storyline and moving it to a better time slot, they move it to a time where it is sure to die a dismal death. This show has NOT jumped the shark and I find offense with anyone who says otherwise. The music on this show is incredible and I want to congratulate all of those performers and musicians who have worked so hard to make it so. Shame on you NBC for cheating my out of something so wonderful and instead offering me the grand opportunity to roll my eyes at Eva longoria in her tight dress and heavy makeup. According to NBC I may be the only person watching the last 17 episodes, but I will watch them and will enjoy them to the fullest. Once they are over, I will look for something else with substance to watch. Certainly not on NBC, unless you call another foolish reality show as worthy of watching.

April 9, 2013 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Gracie's Mom

Well something needs to be done! I enjoyed last season – yes there was lots to hate, but at least it had some entertainment value. This season the show has lost ALL semblance of entertainment! There is NO plot line, none, nada, zero! While I didn't buy into all of the stories last season...at least we HAD stories!! Affairs, productions, leading lady drama, musical numbers, romance, break ups – I mean the show was a SHOW! Now we have two sniveling 20 something who "want to put on a show" but want to whine about it every step of the way!! What happened to Julia's divorce? What happened to Ivy??? What happened to Derek and Ivy?? What happened to Dev??? WHAT HAPPENED!! They took all side plots out of it and most of the musical numbers – none of the characters have anything going on – it is truly truly awful. A switch to Saturday means someone pulled the trigger to put us all out of our misery. Way to ruin a good thing NBC!

March 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Agreed.

i like him...alone show.

March 20, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lilsisliza

Well the ratings probably fell because most viewers (on the East Coast at least) don't want to watch TV at 10pm at night. I'm in bed by 9pm after my kids go to bed, so I watch it the next day online during my lunch hour at work. It's the only time I have free. So boo...hoo NBC to base the popularity of a show on ratings only during airtime – you have dismissed a whole online viewing audience who have adjusted their lives to watch TV when it convenient for them!

March 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hannah

Love this show- actually shows promise and talent! And of course they want to take it away! BOOOOOOOOOOO!

March 18, 2013 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Poodlegirl

Sure nobody wants to watch a show that entertains. Give us more CSI and B listers dancing :(

March 18, 2013 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • I would watch Smash

if the network and the show's producers would give the middle finger to the FCC and allow Katharine McPhee to do full-frontal nudity. They could do a sort of musical version of Shameless, the show where Emmy Rossum so frequently bares all with no shame.

March 18, 2013 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. jakibros

Oh goody... yet ANOTHER reality show. I barely watch my TV now due to these idiotic shows. And let us not forget the other "quality" shows like Pretty Little Liars, Housewives of Beverly Hills, etc... I should thank the networks. They are pushing me to read classic literature just to get something with a little intelligent plot.

March 17, 2013 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. 2 to 20 mile range...

wow good show

March 16, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. The Pope and the Pop Star

are going to end this war and that is that–your hatred is at this point is irrelevant....its plain old jealousy...end of story

March 16, 2013 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. The Pope and the Pop Star

are going to end this war and that is that–you hatred is irrelevant....its plain old jealousy...end of story

March 15, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Meggy

No reason too SMASH

March 15, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Peggy

I too love SMASH even downloaded songs on iPod. Hate this's new jimmy character. Show seems fragmented this season.

March 15, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Chrissy 1

there is no axe–nothing will be affected..

March 15, 2013 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. barbie doll 2

I grew up watching, and dancing, to musicals. The music on this show week to week is fantastic. I watch on my computer as Tue time slot does not wk for me. There are so many bad shows....why does this bright spot have to get the axe!! Maybe it needs and advertising makeover.

March 15, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. I getting the urge too read a magazine...

hello?

March 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ( . )( . )

Mmmmm.....Katharine McPhee....

March 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. :((

NO!!!! I love everything about this show! From the cast and crew to the beautiful music and relationships. I just wish nbc would stop screwing up the scheduling for all of their shows, especially this one and community! If they keep this up the only things left on the network will be reality tv, which is sad because I do enjoy many of the original shows on the network. I wish the cast much success on their future endeavors and to keep pursuing their dreams because I truly enjoyed watching them on my screen. Thanks to Jack Davenport, Katharine McPhee, Megan Hilty, Debra Messing, Christian Borle, Angelica Houston, Leslie Odom Jr, Krysta Rodriguez, Jeremy Jordan, Andy Mientus, and the rest of this amazing cast SMASH will be missed.

March 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mia

agree with everything u just said! love this show and everything about it! plz dont take it off! :0(

March 20, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • iam

be positive...no more smearing people with their comments.....be happy

March 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • lruplinger

I also love this show. This season has really taken a twist with character building. I loved Season 1 and have stayed with Season 2 and it is really starting to evolve. Now NBC moves it to Saturday? What gives??? I will just catch the episodes on Demand. What a shame that NBC doesn't have the staying power to let this show continue. The music and main characters in this show are amazing. So NBC wants to go with another hum drum Love Match / Bachelor type show in place of Smash – I say be different NBC – be inspiring – get off the same game train!!! Smash has real potential – just give it room to grow. I am greatly displeased to see that NBC will let this show go – think it over carefully – please!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2013 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  24. GOSLING COMMENTS WILL BE HERE 15 MIN...

AND FINAL VERSION USUAL TIME-BLOCKING OF COMMENTS CNN WILL ADJUST...THANKS....

March 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Everyone knows the smear game....and its not working

we know your leader...Marina is ON

March 15, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Redundant Schtick

do not care about rosie or any other negative comments.

March 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Leticia

I love this show so much
    I can't understand that
    They can't cancel ...

March 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hells Bells

Wednesday night is fishstick night, and nothing goes better with fishsticks than Smash. NBC can't expect me to start eating fishsticks on Saturday. That's just wrong.

MOVE IT BACK!!!

March 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Meh

Bring Firefly back

March 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Susan

I love this show. I have never missed an episode. I really hope they do not cancel it.

March 15, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  30. they are pursuing 9 for a new movie at the old production...

you don't know how a cast works....

March 15, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  31. Milk, milk...

lemonade; 'round the corner
    fudge is made.

March 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Gloee T

This show is so much better than all that reality crap...I luv it & I hope it stays on & I won't go by the negative comments on blogs by people who have nothing better to do than say negative things but will watch "The Bachelor" I very rarely post comments but feel I had to for this show...

March 14, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kathy

Smash is a refreshing entertaining program to watch. Katherine McPhee is excellent in her talents and her unreal voice. The cast is pleasant as they each bring their talent to the front as well as their acting, and frankly, we need more programs such as this. All you see now is programs on fitness, loosing weight, matching couples against one another to become the best couple doing rigorous and disgusting things. Then theirs the bachelor and bachlorette. what is the purpose to all of these latter shows, that have no real value or purpose in what they bring to the screen. It's boring and unrealistic! To remove Smash producers and owners of the network need to rethink their purpose. They want a continuous high rating, well then bring high purposeful and creative programs to your station. The reason the ratings are low is because there is a time slot where other stations have shows that are challenging your spot. Keep the spots active and entertaining. I wish the cast and crew of Smash success in their new endeavors.

March 14, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. NO HIDING--

me lub springstTeen

March 14, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Cheese

CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE

March 14, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ROXAS

has anyone else noticed that nbc has the hardest time keeping a show going i'm disappointed cuz they have made amazing ones in the past and canceled them too (HINT: Heroes, being one of them.)

March 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  37. if you enjoy it watch it....if you don't shut it off.

sjp

March 14, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jen

Yeah this show was good in the beginning, but by the end of the first season it's just hard to watch now. The writing is cringe worthy and there is no plot. It's one of those shows where I could care less about what happens to the characters. I used to like Smash but I'll say it now, it'll get cancelled before there's a season 3. (Jack Davenport and Christian Borle need better shows, Smash is dragging them down.)

March 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  39. anthony

ok so if Saturdays are where the shows go to die, can we please find room for American Idol, the X factor, Glee, the voice, and any other retarted reality and singing shows out there. these shows are what killed entertainment

March 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Observer

The move to Saturday is usually what happens just before cancellation. And in this case, with very good reason. Goodbye.

March 14, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |