'Who Shot J.R.'? You'll find out this season
March 11th, 2013

'Who Shot J.R.'? You'll find out this season

For once, a TV series is being specific about its intentions with a plot twist.

At PaleyFest over the weekend, executive producers Michael Robin and Cynthia Cidre said the resolution to the renewed "who shot J.R.?" question will be answered this season.

"You will know by the end of the season, by the end of episode 15. Cynthia said, and I think rightly so, that that's just not fair to keep from everybody," Robin said.

The series resurrected the old "who shot J.R." theme with last week's episode, in which viewers heard two gunshots fired as J.R. Ewing (the late Larry Hagman) was on the phone with his son, John Ross (Josh Henderson).

After Hagman passed away in November 2012, the production team needed to figure out the best way to honor Hagman's memory and say farewell to J.R.

So, as creator and executive producer Cidre told Entertainment Weekly, the idea to shoot J.R. again was an effort to give an homage to the original.

"How does J.R. die? Not an easy question to answer," Cidre said. "The A solution was of natural causes that are later revealed to be unnatural, and it seemed that until it were revealed to be unnatural that the audience would be bored and it was not appropriate to the character. So then you go to unnatural causes ... And then you circle around after thinking about it for a week to you can’t get away from J.R. You do an homage to it. You do it again, and then you try to do it one better. Hopefully by the time we reveal the mystery, you’ll go, 'Oh, cool.' I’m telling you, it was really complicated to get to that place and to make people not say, 'How can you shoot him again?'"

Not everyone is in the dark about the mystery shooter. Patrick Duffy, for one, knows who did it.

"It's probably the most brilliant piece of scriptwriting that I've read, whether it's in this show or any other piece of television that I've ever seen," Duffy said. "The way that it resolves the problem with such dignity and respect and drama. I think every fan who has ever watched this show will think it's the pinnacle of 'Dallas' writing and plot."

"Dallas" will pay respect to J.R. and, to that end, Larry Hagman, with tonight's memorial and funeral episode on TNT at 9 p.m.

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Maryjo Sansom

Amazing Article! I want to visit daily. Thanks

November 26, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. FillOuts

terrible day today....i think i'll "read" wish i could "read" with JR...

March 12, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Boo

Last night's episode was brilliant.....that said I will miss Larry Hagman. He entertained me for so many years as the best tv villian EVER!!!!!

March 12, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jan

We will miss you Larry Hagman.

March 12, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jan

It was good "from tip to toe" to use JR's words. I was sad from the music at the beginning until the end when I started wondering what Bobby knows. I liked how the audience got to attend a funeral for JR–and I was hoping Pam would show up but just telling us that JR was looking for her makes us know she has some answers to control her brother and neice! And it let us know she is still hiding out for some reason. Sue Ellen hitting the bottle again...and John Ross and Emma...Loved all the folks attending the gathering too. The writers did an awesome job.

March 12, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. stutzman2

I was wondering if anyone got a close look at the memorial poster of JR at the wake at the Oil Barons Club it appeared to show what year he was born and died but didnt zoom in on it close enough to see. Anyone know how old JR was?

March 12, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. Comedy

Comedy

beloved tony nelson and the most famous villian in history jr ewing....we will miss him terribly...i remember him telling a story about the i dream of jeanie series...he loved to party....he took the tony nelson job for some fun because he found out he was going to would be working with a blond in harem costume all day long....the show wound up being a hit and the tony nelson character will be remembered forever....rip larry..i personally will miss your comedy talent and timing that was so perfect on the i dream of jeannie show.

March 12, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. Comedy

beloved tony nelson and the most famous villian in history jr ewing....we will miss him terribly...i remember him telling a story about the i dream of jeanie series...he loved to party....he took the tony nelson job for some fun because he found out he was going to would be working with a blond in harem costume all day long....the show wound up being a hit and the tony nelson character will be remembered forever....rip larry..i personally will miss your comedy talent and timing that was so perfect on the i dream jeannie show....

March 12, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. The Gosselin Blues

rest in peace larry

March 12, 2013 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. YOU HAND SUE ELLEN 20 BUCKS A DAY

AND SHE SENDS MOVIES OUT ON YOUR...FK YOU... YOU LOW LIFE BEETCH

March 12, 2013 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. Elaine

I think J.R. dies by his own hand !

March 12, 2013 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. boob movie: sue ellen handed me the movie....

now relax and go back too bed...she gave it too me.

March 12, 2013 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. North Dallas Don

It's going to be challenging to keep the show popular without J.R. He was the straw that stirred the drink.

March 12, 2013 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Separated-

all Sue Ellen

March 12, 2013 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. All SueEllen Not JR

He's not there.....its her little suffocation project towards JR>

March 12, 2013 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. I found Sue Ellen too be a complete bore in the show....

JR ruled...Sue Ellen was just a no personality trouble maker who was not liked by audience because of the way she acted.

March 11, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • meet rich mendd

Wow…My friend Hanna has just married to a millionaire, they met via~~~ ŔichWoo.Ćoм~~~designed for the elite, a place where you can meet attorneys, political figures, investors, extremely successful entrepreneurs, millionaires, doctors, professional athletes, celebrities and models, etc. If you are looking to date the elite, maybe you can take a try.

March 11, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • I found Sue Ellen too be a complete bore in the show.

March 12, 2013 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  17. JG

Tonight's episode was stellar in every way – acting, writing... tribute. Season One was good and got me hooked. Season two started off a little shaky (IMO) – but the past couple episodes have been great – and if tonight's episode is any indication, it's only UP from here, even without the late amazing Larry Hagman aka JR Ewing. Clearly not an easy episode or plot line to navigate... but it was very well done. Crafty and well acted to boot.

March 11, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. YOUAREHAPPY123SUKKA

Shoot him in the back.

March 11, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sadie

I wondered how they would write JR out of the series. I only watched a few episodes of Dallas, so I was kind of curious. Kind of fitting him being shot again. Rip, Mr. Hagman.

March 11, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. YOUAREHAPPY123SUKKA

SueEllen was a disgrace of a wife...no wonder why jr has too run away from her.

March 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Your are Happy123

STFU

March 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Disrespected by all

JR's marriage to SueEllen was a sham.

March 11, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Knewagirl

It's very fitting. I still remember going over to my dad's the next day and telling him that was the end of the season. He kept telling me no way, they have to tell who shot him first. But I remembered the year before when Sue Ellen was pregnant and in the car wreck, the season ended not knowing if she and/or the baby would live. RIP JR!

March 11, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Love Larry Hagman

will miss him terribly he was hysterical as major anthony nelson from i dream of jeannie...

rip larry

March 11, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. i like to read late at night

lol

March 11, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  26. bill pike

I was in England when the first series was popular–walking down the street with my cowboy hat and boots–actually a real oil man from texas-time after time people yelled 'HOW'S JR?". Larry Hagman or JR will be missed.

March 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |