The story behind Halle Berry's hair in 'The Call'
March 5th, 2013

The story behind Halle Berry's hair in 'The Call'

In next weekend's thriller "The Call," Halle Berry plays a 911 operator who fights to rescue a young woman from a vicious abductor.

As it turns out, the Oscar winner revealed to CNN that she had to make an emergency call herself during a terrifying home invasion.

"I did have to call 911 about a year before I made this movie," Berry said. "I had someone who was attempting to break into my house and when I called I told the 911 operator, 'I think they're in my house.' And from the time I thought they were in I couldn't stop talking; the operator said to me, 'Ma'am, if they're in your house, you must be quiet. Stop talking.' And I could not stop."

Although the operator kept telling the actress she needed to be quiet, Berry said she just couldn't do it. But lesson learned: "[N]ext time, if I ever have to call, I know the importance of being quiet and listening to someone."

On a lighter note, Berry’s less-than-glamorous hairstyle in the film is getting an amused reaction from some quarters. The 46-year-old, who had a hand in selecting it, explains why she picked something so completely different from her own famous ‘do.

“With social media today, and with paparazzi that follow you to the market [and] to school with your kid, people see you, like, all the time," she said.

"So it's becoming harder and harder for actors to escape who they really are and have people suspend belief. ... So for me, the first thing that has to go is [my] hair. That's become synonymous with who I am. So it was just about finding a hairstyle that kind of made sense."

The character isn't the kind of woman who puts a lot of time into her style, and she didn't seem like the type to have long hair, either.

"We tried that, that didn't feel right," the actress said of testing out longer locks. "We modeled it after somebody we saw in one of the centers. Kind of stole it, you know. But the hair's been an issue, people have brought it up - every single person has brought it up.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Oliver Cauchon

In ancient civilizations, women's hair was often elaborately and carefully dressed in special ways. Women coloured their hair, curled it, and pinned it up in a variety of ways. They set their hair in waves and curls using wet clay, which they dried in the sun and then combed out, or else by using a jelly made of quince seeds soaked in water, or curling tongs and curling irons of various kinds.

May 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mani

She´s beautiful anyway!

March 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Gross

Now whats da story on her cootch hair?

March 15, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ellen

Halle Berry is a Diabetic and first and foremost is her diet in order to self manage her diabetes. That said...no talk about her "gaining weight"...that wouldn't be a very "smart" thing to do...just say'n...

March 6, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sadie

I think she is one of the most attractive women in Hollywood. She could wear a clown hat on her head and still look good. I do like her real hair style. It just fits her. Must have been a slow news day, if we are talking about somebody's hair.

March 6, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • FiveLiters

I agree with everything you just said (and I'm still raving to anyone who will listen about her at the Oscars-just flawless!) ,but I freely admit when I first saw the trailer for this,my immediate reaction was "OK,we let her slide with that bad 'Storm' wig from 'X-Men'. But if she's going to insist on wearing jacked up hair going forward,shouldn't there at least be a website or Twitter feed dedicated to it?"

March 6, 2013 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. #1Ju'el

Halle know what she is doing as far as her weight. First of all she watches what she eats for her health. Also she's naturally small but even more she's a hollywood actress. She knows good damn well she needs to keep her body in shape. She's 47 and still getting jobs and looks great. If she gained weight it will effect her life. Just saying.

March 6, 2013 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Lolamarie

Agree. Also, she admittly has diabetes, so she has to be extra careful with her diet.

March 6, 2013 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lexington Steele

Halle need ta eat a lil mo n grow hur booty out. I mean she can still get it no doubt but I'd love to see some meat on hur u feel me

March 6, 2013 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. CyberAbuser 1

Never met this woman nor do we know who she is.

March 6, 2013 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. Never Met Her

Not me...tell the whole dam world about the intruder....

March 6, 2013 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. North Dallas Don

I don't care what she does with her hair. Just don't do anything to her boobies.

March 6, 2013 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. War

Yeah, if I had some intruder in my house, I'd keep quiet... (flopping around on the ground like a fish)

March 6, 2013 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Nope--Don't know them

i have yet another new mc.

March 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peace

Yeah, if I had some intruder in my house, I'd keep on talking, too... (eyes rollin')

March 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |