Carly Rae Jepsen drops Boy Scouts performance over gay rights
March 5th, 2013

Carly Rae Jepsen drops Boy Scouts performance over gay rights

"Call Me Maybe" singer Carly Rae Jepsen is the latest act to drop out of the Boy Scouts of America's upcoming Jamboree because of the organization's ban on openly gay members.

The Canadian entertainer announced her decision on Tuesday, saying in a statement posted to her Twitter account that she's pulled out of the event "as an artist who believes in equality for all people."

"I always have and will continue to support the LGBT community on a global level and stay informed on the ever changing landscape in the ongoing battle for gay rights in this country and across the globe," she said.

Jepsen shared the Jamboree bill with the group Train, who announced last Friday that they, too, weren't going to perform because of the Boy Scouts of America's policy.

“When we booked this show for the Boy Scouts of America we were not aware of any policy barring openly gay people from participation within the organization," the group said in a statement on March 1. "Train strongly opposes any kind of policy that questions the equality of any American citizen. We have always seen the BSA as a great and noble organization. We look forward to participating in the Jamboree this summer, as long as they make the right decision before then.”

Their remarks came after gay Eagle Scout and former Boy Scouts camp leader Derek Nance launched a Change.org petition calling on the two acts to "speak out against the Boy Scouts of America's anti-gay policy and agree to step down" as the headlining acts.

The Boy Scouts of America's 2013 National Scout Jamboree is described as a 10-day "big celebration of scouting." In addition to stadium shows, 50,000 scouts, volunteers and staff members gather to take part in outdoor activities, its website says.

The director of public relations for Boy Scouts of America, Deron Smith, told CNN in a statement that they "appreciate everyone’s right to express an opinion," and that the organization will "remain focused on delivering a great Jamboree program for our Scouts.”

1. nuclear mike

And the Celeb's think they have real power...yeah right!!! Carly Rae better make all the $$$ while she can 'cause her 'glory' is fading fast.
    Do these celeb's really think people, who have influence & power themselves, ever listen to them?
    Scouting with gays is not Scouting at all and Madonna's recent little act in uniform tells all what Scouting would become like should the gays be openly allowed!!!

March 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Business World

don't worry carly ... she's lucky its me she's doing it too....

March 16, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Steve

This is an example of celebrities acting stupid.

March 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Beefburger

Get over it or else you can make your OWN Gay Scouts organization. The BSA is doing nothing wrong and peacefully assembling. There is no such thing as "forced acceptance", except maybe that is called "rape".

March 16, 2013 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. kish

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/82694688"]

March 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jay

Never go away - its all in fun - k?

March 14, 2013 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. johnsonscouts

It is sad to see that she has backed out of this performance. My son is a Boy Scout and is attending the National Jamboree. He was looking forward to seeing her. The scouts should not be punished for the decisions that are being made by others. I am sure she has been part of an event at some point that has been tied to an organization that has policies she disagrees with. Do they check out the policies of every venue/event prior to agreeing to perform? I doubt it....I am sure if the price was right she would perform despite this policy. BSA is doing the right thing by deciding if they are going to change this policy or stand by it. They are also reaching out to scout families and leaders for their opinions on the policy. Some are acting like BSA is not even working to possibly ammend this policy.

March 14, 2013 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Well....

then don't look at it.

March 14, 2013 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • redundent

change the channel

March 14, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • johnsonscouts

Did the two of you read my post? I read the article because my son is attending the Jamboree and was looking forward to seeing her. I commented because I feel that is is not right to back out on a commitment to the scouts and Ibecause it has an impact on my son.

March 14, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Of course he should go--family is first...

what do you want from the bloggers...

March 14, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

Oh boo hoo! I'm sure thats the same position the Germans took in the aftermath of WW II – Dont punish us because somebody else made the decision. The performer did the right thing, its doubtful that the hate filled thumpers of the BSA will do likewise.

March 14, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • If he wants the vibration

he's gotta tell her or she just reads the daily news and has a fantasy about Jeter while seated at the ice cream parlor lounge.

March 14, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Equality4All

Unfortunately she may not have been aware of these issues until brought to her attention. My son used to be in scouts and loved it til he realized that this policy was in place. He is 11 years old and decided to step down from scouts because of this anti-gay policy. He did it out of respect for me as I am a lesbian. I wish this organization would just get with it and quit discriminating.

March 15, 2013 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. He never has too hide...gay or not..

k.

March 14, 2013 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. ShawnDH

Good for her! The kind of mindless discrimination the Boy Scouts are perpetuating has no place in a modern society.

March 14, 2013 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Eisen

Its so disheartening to see these well paid, well fed performers deciding to attempt to force the Boy Scouts to change their policy by publicly shunning them. I have a family of Boy Scouts and personally I don't have a problem with gays in the Scouts however in America organizations have the right to set their own policies for membership. Personally I think the Scouts can do much better than these two performers. Being pro gay is currently politically correct, along with Catholic bashing and Muslim loving. Lord forbid these performers do their jobs and focus on entertaining.

March 14, 2013 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Stammy4la

Screw Jepson and all the others who won't play for the Boy Scouts. I applaud the scouts for sticking to their core beliefs. We saw what happened when the idiots wanted to protest Chick-Fil-A, it backfired. These performers need to get off their soapboxes and get out of the political arena.

March 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShawnDH

Actually, Chick-fil-A has been steadily backing away from their funding of hate groups, so the boycott has been a success. Just because a bunch of mindless bigots went to stuff their faces with chicken sandwiches one day doesn't mean the boycott has backfired. Try to keep up.

March 14, 2013 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. LOL

That hunk can boss me around "anytime".

March 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DWL

So Carly, you penalize thousands of young men (who don't make the rules) to make some sort of political statement? Nice.

March 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. richard miller

She isn't old enough to have 'always' done anything,except maybe poop in the pot after training.

March 13, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. too ezy

carly has no clue of what she is doing...she truly does not

March 7, 2013 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  16. Maybe, Maybe Not

i want too watch it fall in poop. that's will be more rewarding...unplug please...ha.

March 7, 2013 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  17. UnPlug Please...

the little virgin is in the palm of my hands...she will give it too us...we don't have too go get it...
    unplug please.

March 7, 2013 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. hehe

united way donations still supporting...

March 7, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  19. The Kardashians Live on

forever!

March 6, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. carly go away!!!

When will Carly Rae Jepson aka the Ultimate One Hit Wonder go away?? You were set to play a concert for boy scouts. Pathetic.

March 6, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jess

Train sucks.They too are unprofessional and had no business making a commitment and then reneging. These 2 performers should not penalize the young men of the Boy Scouts to make a stmt adn the former Boy Scouts leader that is causing all this fuss is making nothing but trouble and I have no respect for him or his cause. He knew exactly what the Boy Scouts stand for.

Someone send him a jar of Vaseline

March 6, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Angie

Another gay p*ssing all over another organization they can't be in instead of this Eagle Scout staying in Eagle Scouts! I will never support the LGBT community until they can earn the respect they so greatly want by respecting others beliefs

March 6, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Margie

Canada's missing another idiot, please go back

March 6, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ironballs McGullicutty

WHO?

March 6, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. abqTim

If they wanted to really make a change and not just get some money making publicity, they would have done the show and told the kids in the audience to spread love to everyone even LGBT people. Now that would have taken guts, not this "I'm not showing up cuz I don't like the way the adults run the show" Well, teach the kids to be responsible and loving not a bunch of cry-baby-no-shows.

March 6, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Carly Ray Butterface

1) Dude, It's Train and Carly Rae Jepsen. Somehow I doubt the BSA has really kept all the gay out.

2) Face it, most people are ok with gay scouts and leaders. Get over it or go start some other scouting organization for straights only.

3) Carly Rae Jepsen is a homely one-hit wonder. That is a fact. But at least she put her fleeting name recognition toward a good cause.

March 6, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beefburger

"Get over it or go start some other scouting organization for straights only." They ARE a scouting organization for straights only. Get over it or start your own Gay Scouts organization.

March 16, 2013 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  27. Does that stupid blogger have too be there.

No camera for that sorry.

March 6, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Susie Tung

who's thinking about bangs–i want that mouth

March 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Toris

he likes her t-ts and she likes his eyes....

March 6, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Pulling

let it - i'm 50 that is NOT a big deal....grow up...

March 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Tug Romney

I've this little Canadian pop-tart's big song, but have never heard her speak in an interview. Does she pronouce "about" the way most American's say "a boat?"

March 6, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aunt Mo

was seraphena...

March 6, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tug Romney

She is pretty cute though, and a genuine girl, not like that Justin Bieber character who's really a boy but pretends to be a girl. Carly Rae is the real deal. Next time I'm in Canada I might look her up, take her out to nice, intimate dinner at Tim Horton's and order a pound of back bacon and some coffee, then maybe throw back a sixer of Labatt's in the parking lot while we listen to hockey on the radio in my Camaro.

March 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • fantasy

he likes her jugs and she likes his eyes–so.

March 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • leave them alone..

boat and pull are just having fun...lololol

March 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perv

I would take her to Tim Hortons, order donuts then let her play ring toss with my d!ck.

March 6, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mikea

I agree with Troop Leader! Let's punish the kids for the rules made by adults. NOT the appropriate stage for this performance. However, it's not a huge deal. Don't like Carly Rae or Train that much anyway. Today, I'm TOTALLY getting over you. We won't be buying your records or concert tickets anymore.

March 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Focus

There is no activism–just evil–

March 6, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Troop Leader

How intolerant of CRJ and Train to NOT play a concert (for kids) because they disagree with the groups (adults) politics! Another example of liberal hypocrisy and poser activism.

March 6, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  35. Meh

wah?

March 6, 2013 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  36. Y'All Better Adjust

Oprah ain't moving especially if she's not hurt anyone...

March 6, 2013 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  37. Carly

this is where the "she's the victim" manipulation begins...ss number.

March 6, 2013 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  38. who cares

none of us do.

March 6, 2013 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  39. North Dallas Don

I, too, oppose discrimination and believe in the equality of all people. But for some reason I'm not allowed to go backstage after concerts, though others are. Where is my equality Carly Rae and Train? You hypocrites! By the way, where have you been for the past...oh, for however long you've been alive? Twenty-seven years for Carly Ray and 40-something for the members of Train? The Boy Scouts policy has not changed at anytime during your entire lives and this controversy has been going on for a long time. Perhaps it's time you pulled you heads out and learned about the world around you!

March 6, 2013 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  40. Cyber Abuser

haven't a clue of any of them

March 6, 2013 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  41. i do not know this women

never met her.

March 6, 2013 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  42. i hate her

if i was a boy scout i would rather see westlife instead of this talentless fool whose just bent on makin money off me

March 6, 2013 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  43. Journey

Why would these people be performing to a bunch of 12-18 year old boys in the first place...weird. I couldn't think of one good act for that audience.

March 6, 2013 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  44. Alvarez

I'll call her maybe, after I poop on her definitely.

March 5, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  45. MarylandBill

So wait, let me get this straight... these acts agreed to do this show and then backed out because of a Boy Scout Policy that hasn't changed since they agreed to do the show? Regardless of your beliefs about LGBT issues, this smells of a publicity stunt to me.

March 5, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom-ay

it also smells of free speech.

March 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • he's the only 1 i'd be a 2 for...

lol.

March 6, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stammy4la

There's almost alway's an ulterior motive behind what performer's do. they stay in the spotlight and people continue to talk about them if they are controversial.

March 13, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. CaptainObvious

50,000 boy scouts WANT to listen to Call Me Maybe girl? That in itself sounds a little gay...
    At any rate, good for her and the other group standing up for equal treatment for all American citizens. The Boy
    Scouts need to promote kindness and understanding, not exclusion and intolerance.

March 5, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  47. HatesCRJ

This dumb flop still exists???

NO ONE cares ABOUT you Call-Me-Maybe girl. Go away.

March 5, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Boo

see what i'm going through and this for someone i never did anything too

March 5, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  49. We can only pray

she someday gets what she deserves.

March 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Norman

Yay! I called this yesterday :-) sorry, bigots-you make eveyrone lose when you hate...change your policies or die

March 5, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Observer

If I were a boy scout, I don't think I would necessarily see this as bad news...

March 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  52. cbtx67

Good, see if they can get Justin Beiber in there to perform, but wait, he's gay too...even sags his pants to say he is open for business.Never mind then BSA...my money will not go to you. I can take my boys camping myself. Kudos to Train and Jepson.

March 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  53. you better believe it --

March 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Perv

I like her bangs. I'd like to bang her bangs, or at least somewhere in the space where the bangs hang.

March 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Dick

You got quite an imagination there, buddy. You know what they say, the guys who talk about it all the time, are the ones not getting any.

March 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Perv

But I never TALK about it, Dick, I just WRITE about it all the time. It's more like typing, than writing, I guess. Does your little adage still apply then?

Also, you've got to admit that I've planted a visual in your brain, and you're now thinking the same thing I'm thinking whenever you see that photo.

March 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  57. if he wants too boat..let him..

geez-lmao

March 6, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Dick

Talking, writing, no difference. And no, you have not planted any image in my head. She's a bit young to even think about. I'll bet you type one handed, right?

March 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Perv

Like a pro, Dickie, like a pro! Left hand, right hand, doesn't matter. I'm ambidextrous.

You don't like the pretty, taut and toned twenty-somethings, Dick? You like 'em old, dumpy, frumpy and pruney? To each his own, I guess.

March 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Dick

Well, I never said that. I appreciate the female form. There's plenty of women, over the age of 30, to interest me. Maybe you should broaden your horizons.

March 6, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |