Overheard: 'Ender's Game' star says book fans won't be disappointed
March 4th, 2013

Overheard: 'Ender's Game' star says book fans won't be disappointed

Movie adaptations of beloved books sometimes let fans down, but Abigail Breslin says "Ender's Game" readers don't need to worry.

"It does stay true to the book, which I'm excited about," Breslin, who portrays the sister of the gifted Ender Wiggin, told CNN.

The 16-year-old actress warned that she couldn't give too much away, but she has seen the sets for the sci-fi film and they're "amazing."

"The cast is so talented and I play Valentine," she went on. "I love the character in the book as well, so it stays pretty true to the character in the movie."

"Ender's Game" stars Asa Butterfield as Ender, the genius strategist who's recruited to a military school where he trains to take down an alien race. Another one of Breslin's co-stars is Harrison Ford, who plays Colonel Hyrum Graff.

"I did work with [Harrison Ford] briefly and he's amazing," Breslin said. "I mean, incredible."

"Ender's Game" is slated to open November 1, but you'll next see Breslin in the thriller "The Call," which arrives in theaters March 15.

1. Sam

I don't think the movie will be good, the actors are so old, and in the first book, Ender only gets as old as nine! How is this movie going to work with super old actors? I don't care if the acting is terrible, they should still use only kid actors.

March 21, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Your just overheard this conversation and it was the wrong ss number..

we are sick of you

March 18, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Meh

OMG – Its the face of Jesus on her forehead...alert the media...he's trying to speak to us...wait...oh nevermind, that's Elvis

March 18, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dont tick me off sistah 123

your in enuff trouble...

March 11, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Justin

Please. Enders Game could be just Ender and be just as good.

March 6, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bimbos In The Car

She's not good at it....

March 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hegemon

Could be toguro....could be emossin'. Hope they don't blow this one, but just an Eemo opinion.

March 5, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Morning Car Actress

She's not good at it....

March 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pliny

The subplot in Enders Game, with the sister and brother felt totally tacked onto the story.

Card spent pages and pages on their rise to 'internet power'...only to have the entire scheme go 'poof' and vanish at the end of the book.

I'm glad I stopped reading Sci-fi by the 8th grade.

March 5, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pants

Card does that all the time in his books, particularly his most recent offerings. He tacks on side stories that just don't work. The character of Peter Wiggin is cool, but Valentine is really kind of worthless. You can skip over all her chapters and not miss anything important in the book. That being said, I'm very much looking forward to the movie.

March 5, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dahan

LOL... You do know that the Ender saga is a whole series of books where the 'tacked on story about the rise to internet power' is fully explained? Boy, do you have some reading to do...

March 6, 2013 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Sorry Dahan, but I've got plenty of good books, by good writers, that I'm dying to read. If you want to plow thru 5000 pages of poorly plotted sci-fi just to make Card a rich man...then have at it. I've got better things to do with my time.

March 7, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meredith

Speaker For the Dead and Xenocide, though not as good as Ender's Game, had very much to do with Peter and Valentine's story.
      Card isn't just focused on telling a story, though. The Ender Series has a lot to do with psychology and different types of relationships. Personally, I thought Speaker was really fascinating, but I like philosophy.

If you do not like Card's writing, then why are you comment about it? If it's so bad, then it shouldn't be such a big deal that you need to complain to people whose opinions will not change – Ender's story was powerful to many of us, and if it wasn't for you then leave it at that. Maybe it wasn't relevant to you, or you missed the entire point – I don't know. Either way, the main purpose of a story is to connect with the characters, which I did, and I loved Peter and Valentine's part. A set of genius siblings is bound to do something interesting.

March 8, 2013 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

I'm sorry but Peter and Valentine Wiggins are not tacked onto Ender's Game, they are as important as Ender. I won't go into the exact reasons because they are huge spoilers, but any true fan of the work knows this.

March 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

You didn't read Ender's Shadow? Sure it came out later, but the Peter/Valentine portion had importance in Ender's Game to explain more about Ender's motivations and fears.

In any event, things like the internet were "sci-fi" when Ender's Game came out and are commonplace these days. It'll be interesting if they can keep it dramatic.

July 23, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |