'Community': Four 'cool-cool-cool' moments
February 22nd, 2013

'Community': Four 'cool-cool-cool' moments

It's been a rough time for "Community" fans lately.

This has already been the most controversial season of the show with the departure of creator Dan Harmon, and there's been some very mixed reaction to the episodes we've seen so far.

Last week's ratings also didn't help.

Thursday night's new episode - which saw the study group at an "Inspector Spacetime" convention - was one of the most anticipated since it was first announced during San Diego Comic-Con.

It was an Abed-fest (as expected), so here are some moments which would have made him say "Cool. Cool cool cool."

1. InspectiCon

That set for the convention was pretty impressive, and Matt Lucas ("Bridesmaids") was an inspired choice as Abed's friend Toby, the world's biggest "Inspector Spacetime" fan who was visiting from London.

Toby's blatant attempt to drive a wedge between Troy and Abed (Britta warned "That dude is trying to steal your boyfriend") led to an outburst by Troy in the middle of a "Spacetime" panel: "'Toby and Abed in the Morning?' That's ridiculous! I'm not a psycho!"

When Toby locked Abed inside a "Spacetime" phone booth in order to bring him back to England, Troy came to the rescue.

"In my long history of being locked in things, this is the first time I knew someone would come for me," said Abed.

The two of them sealed their friendship with a "Gluon" photo.

2. Britta's obstacle course

Troy made Britta make a quick getaway out of his room so Abed wouldn't know they're sleeping together.

"Do we want him to freak out and have to rescue him from some fantasy world where submarines are small enough to enter the bloodstream?" Troy asked. "Actually I really want to do that."

We saw Britta make some acrobatic leaps outside their window, ending up back at Troy and Abed's front door with breakfast.

"I haven't seen you in 12 hours!" declared Troy, but the gig was up. Abed was onto them.

3. Tricia Helfer guest stars

"Battlestar Galactica" fans got a treat as Tricia Helfer (one of many recent big names to land a pilot) showed up as a lifelong "Inspector Spacetime" fan, one of many to confuse Jeff for the actor playing the villainous Thoraxis.

Jeff's awful British accent didn't seem to bother her (she thought his American accent was bad), but Annie ruined the moment when she threw water in his face, pretending to be his wife (that entire subplot seemed like a throwback to season one Annie, though).

4. The Americanized "Inspector Spacetime"

Obviously, Abed really didn't like how this turned out, as evidenced by his reaction at the end of the episode, but it was a great punchline.

It was difficult to tell where the subplot of Pierce and Shirley getting recruited for a focus group was going, other than Pierce's advice on dumbing down "Spacetime" for Americans being another meta moment for this show ("See? It's funny because it's clearer"). But then we got a look at an episode.

Luke Perry starred as the American Inspector, who helpfully explained the concept to the audience and said he must "sleep with the sexiest woman here, who is also my grandmother. Or I will cease to exist."

His constable (or "ensign" as they called it here) was played by... Jennie Garth, who asked how he knew that she wasn't his grandmother.

Abed's reaction to the Pierce-approved "Spacetime" was a simple, whispered "I hate you."

So far we haven't seen any episodes that measured up to the best that "Community" has to offer, but all three have had plenty of moments to recommend them (and there are still 10 to go, of course).

What do you think of the new season so far? Share your view on video or post a comment.

1. Yep

i could still go six rounds....truth!

February 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Party

celebration!

February 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Goldman Baby

His direction is always well done in my eyes....i love him too death!

February 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mrdavidjb

I have been a fan of Community since the first season, but so far this season they seem to really be missing Dan Harmon's writing and direction. While this episode was easily the best of the three so far this season, that is not saying much. I hope they right the ship so or we will not get our much desired six seasons and a movie.

February 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Goldie Mawn

Have not seen the show...hope to someday

February 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Truth

I liked all the episodes this season so far. True, none of them will be on any list for the show's best; but good solid episodes none the less. I especially like how the show is giving itself a sort of reset, especially Annie. Its good to see the season 1 Annie again. As all the characters started getting more defined personality traits in S2 and S3 Annie was all over the place. I think is was a result of Brie being such a good actress the writers used that to their advantage to move an episode along instead of working within the limits of the character.

February 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. San Diego Sam

I used to like this show and watched pretty regularly. I even bought seasons one and two on DVD. But last season started to spiral into weird and boring and now I just can't watch this with any interest anymore. (Apologies to all the people who still like the show. I'm not hating on it, I'm just sad that the show has reached the point of being unwatchable for me.) The really strange thing is that I really like all of the actors, I'm just tired of the writing. I seriously don't think this show is going to get renewed for next season.

February 23, 2013 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. T

Not a bad episode and I love the parody of Doctor WHO and was hoping that an ex-doctor would play an ex-Inspector on Community, maybe David (10th Doctor) Tennant ?

Britta looks hot and I like the Britta/Troy thing they got going....Annie needs to grow up more and be a little more mature.
    It was great when I saw Tricia Helfer in the show as a fan of Inspector Spacetime w/ a ringtone of the villain – weird how the villain from the show looks a lot like Jeff Winger – distant relative ?

The best part at the end when Abed saw the American version of Inspector Spacetime w/ two (count them) two former 90210 stars – Luke Perry and Jennie Garth and Abed's look of horror on his face.

February 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. San Jose

I love this show and am super excited it is back. Although I agree that there have been better episodes in the past, the season thus far hasn't disappointed. I love all the characters, and agree that if you've watched from the beginning, then you would get the jokes. Fingers crossed that 'Community' does not get cancelled. There are FAR worse comedies on NBC ('Whitney' anyone?).

February 22, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RONINSF

I LOVE THIS SHOW. SUCH A GREAT EPISODE. IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ALL FOUR SEASONS LIKE I DID, YOU MAY NOT GET THEIR HUMOR. THERE ARE WORSE SHOWS OUT IN TV-LAND, AND I AM CONFIDENT THIS WILL MAKE IT TO SEASON-5...SAD TO SEE THE DEPARTURE OF THE SHOW'S CREATOR, BUT IF THEY KEEP UP THE WIT AND HUMOR AND BIZARRE SENSE OF BEING, THEN I CAN ONLY SEE SUCCESS.

February 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Captain Slapaho

Dumbest show ever. Should have been cancelled after season one. This is why NBC's ratings are in the tank, even below Univision.

February 22, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. Britta

You know I have never watched this show. We flipped it by a few times but it looked too dumb. Everyone seemed to be acting silly and stuff.

February 22, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ravneesh Punjabii

Gay lesbeans are embiciles.

February 22, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ravneesh Punjabii

This is wonderful show. I first to post. I firsty Indian.

February 22, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |