February 20th, 2013

Author gets sales boost after Kate Middleton comments

Winning two Man Booker prizes in a row - and being the first woman to do so - is plenty publicity to push book sales, but it appears Hilary Mantel just earned herself a bit more.

The Brit author, who wrote the lauded and aforementioned prize-winning novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up The Bodies," has sparked a fevered debate over her commentary that called the Duchess of Cambridge "a shop-window mannequin" without any personality who is only defined by her wardrobe.

Mantel's remarks have not only baited the press but also the Prime Minister, who has come to Duchess Catherine's defense.

But all the attention seems to have another side effect: a spike in book sales, NPR reports. The U.K.'s Telegraph found that "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up The Bodies" scaled a few spots on Amazon's book charts in the midst of the uproar.

The paperback edition of "Wolf Hall," the first book in Mantel's trilogy about King Henry VIII's chief minister Thomas Cromwell, is at No. 3 on Amazon U.K.'s list of best-selling historical fiction. The hardcover of "Wolf Hall's" follow-up, "Bring Up The Bodies," is at No. 5.

At the time of this post, the Kindle editions of "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up The Bodies" weren't doing too shabby on the U.S. historical fiction best-seller list, with "Wolf Hall" at No. 13 and "Bring Up the Bodies" at No. 17.

According to The Bookseller, U.K. publisher Fourth Estate has seen around a "100 percent increase in [e-book] sales of 'Wolf Hall' [Tuesday] as compared to the day before."

Filed under: Books

1. once again....

Another entry that is littered with p o o p and Sadie and peace only. LM FAO

February 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. How are the phone calls?

Fun right?....

February 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

I'm thinking of pooping on Kate after my book People I've Pooped On is released. I'm hoping that will boost it's sales.

February 21, 2013 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Sadie

Will your book be out in both hard cover & paperback? It would probably make a fine coffee table book. I'll bet every proctologist in the country would like that in their lobby, too. You could make millions!

February 21, 2013 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • TriumphTheInsultComicDog

I'm certain proctologists will be a sizeable portion of it's sales. We're also counting on large sales figures from dog lovers, fecalphiliacs, and sewage workers. It will first be released in hard back. But paperback will follow later. There will also be a limited edition package as well. The limited edition will be autographed by me. It will also come with some of my favorite poop food recipes and pictures of my stink nuggets.

February 21, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Peace

Put me down for a limited edition, Triumph! Do you autograph in person? đŸ’©

February 21, 2013 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • TriumphTheInsultComicDog

If we meet in person I will sign. Right now I'm trying to negotiate an agreement for a signing tour with a chain of book stores. So far they're kind of hung up on whether or not I should be allowed to poop on or throw my poop at people though. So that may not happen.

February 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peace

You keep us informed, we'll be there if ya come our way! 😉

February 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hi Eyes

home from wk and off to school for an exam...hope your having a good day!

February 20, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nate

You too our friend. Good luck on the exam. We hope you make 110. 100 plus the bonus question too. Good luck tonight.

February 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your to the peoples friend.

i hope she does well too

February 20, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Juan

I'm from Juarez Mehico. That's in Mexico. Ole'

February 20, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Lots of good beans in Mexico. I love beans. Espilecislly pinto beans. They are so delicious when heated up and put on bread. mmmmm

February 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |