Morrissey's L.A. concert will be strictly vegetarian
February 19th, 2013

Morrissey's L.A. concert will be strictly vegetarian

Probably breaking the hearts of those who love both meat and Morrissey, the singer has instated a meat-free zone for his upcoming sold-out concert in Los Angeles.

For the first time, vendors inside of and surrounding the Staples Center will all be 100 percent vegetarian when Morrissey plays there March 1.

As a vegetarian himself as well as an animal rights activist, Morrissey encouraged the venue to also shut down McDonald's outposts for his performance. The singer wanted to forbid the sale of "flesh as food," a statement to CNN says. Apparently, Paul McCartney has tried to do the same thing, but was denied.

"I don't look upon it as a victory for me," Morrissey says in the statement, "but a victory for the animals." In addition to maintaining a meat-free environment, the Staples Center and event promoter Goldenvoice will donate some of the proceeds from ticket sales to PETA.

Morrissey's Los Angeles show is part of his North American tour, which has been interrupted due to health problems. A bleeding ulcer caused the singer to reschedule a string of shows last month, and he's since had to postpone more sets. His next scheduled appearance is expected to be a February 26 performance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. thanks.

April 8, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Teenagers

i don't care about your stuff.....with me all you have too do is ask. me and get the answer....

why is that so difficult for rock stars

February 21, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chestie LaRue

I am a confirmed carnivore, but I respect his position and will happily be attending his concert in Davis. I may even go meatless for dinner before the show. Well, no. That's too much. But, I do promise not to bring meat into the building! It's such a little thing to respect and observe. Now, if he can just promise to SHOW UP!

February 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tool Addicted

Took 1 hr and 1/2 too get kelly....she's a tool for attention...

February 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ivo

My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. The potential with this is endless. This is what I do, Big44.Cℴℳ

February 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Look into my eyes

come visit and we'll talke about jayster.....

February 21, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PaulieJ

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

February 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Weight-

pucker until we get there...kay?

February 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hi...

next time-get much closer–the photo will work much betta like butta!!!

February 21, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Our first picture together today

that was nice.

February 21, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. poesque

I've noticed how mean spirited many of these comments are. For those of you who couldn't care less about the animal issues, how about thinking what stuffing yourself with meat is doing to this planet? Research it a little, I dare you!

This planet can not continue using precious resources on raising animals for food. To quote Albert Einstein:
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a Vegetarian Diet"
    So, I think missing out on a chance to eat meat at a concert is a good idea.
    Seriously, you can't make it one meal with out meat?

February 21, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. the only bitterness at this point

is she not us....

February 21, 2013 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. mengladys

I rarely read comments on CNN but am shocked at the ignorance of these posters. What do y'all have, a 5th grade education? It's his deal, he stands up for animal rights he can do whatever the heck he wants. You don't need to buy a ticket.Good for him for making a statement. if he doesn't want to be surrounded by meat, that's his choice. This is not a municipal space.

February 21, 2013 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. Meatween

Hey Morrisey, I heard Tesco Vee will also be attending, what are your thoughts? Long live the Meatmen!!!

February 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JH

I'm vegan. I choose to not eat animals. I don't care what the rest of you eat. But if you came to my house, I would not serve you meat. If I had any talent and gave a concert, I wouldn't want any meat served at my concert. Why are meat-eaters so defensive, angry and malicious towards non-meat-eaters?

February 20, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. KarmaBurns

does he need his diaper all organic cotton too? Soy milk anyone. Just crawl into your 1970's wicker pram and cry yourself to sleep you bitter old hippie.

February 20, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • JustinC

The guy is trying to help suffering farm animals and you put him down. The only bitterness I see is the anger, hatred and ignorance in your response (as well as many others here), to an act of compassion and kindness.

February 21, 2013 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  17. Harv Miller

Just retire...please. You were great in your day but are now just a bore.

February 20, 2013 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

Never before have I wanted to drop a huge vat of my poop on an arena full of people so badly. And maybe drop some ground beef on them for good measure.

February 20, 2013 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  19. Lots of 24 hour a day efforts...

all failed–

February 20, 2013 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  20. ShingoEX

The next time a tiger mauls a zebra to death, it should be lectured over inhumane treatement of animals.

See how stupid that sounds?

February 20, 2013 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

You see what you did there, you made an equivalency error. You see, you are not a tiger. Animal advocates proselytize to creatures that are de facto assumed to be able to reason and be held to the standards of a morality.

April 8, 2013 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • *

April 8, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  21. puh lease

go look for a computer

February 20, 2013 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  22. chubster

Mmmmmm doesn't sucking dick count, sound like hypocrisy to me

February 20, 2013 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. mindcrime

It's a really honorable thing to do, Morrissey, but I wish you wouldn't give any money to PETA.

PETA is a very hypocritical organisation that funds domestic terrorism. If you read their creed, they don't even want people to have dogs and cats as pets, but they'll happily take these pet-owners money.

Sickening really. But hey, if you promise to firebomb a research lab, they'll give you money for it.

February 20, 2013 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  24. itsamemario

I'm usually a vegan at concerts anyways; I'll only eat brownies or mushrooms :-)

February 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Joan Randall

WONDERFUL! Good for you, Morrissey!!! Somebody with leverage actually turning beliefs into action. If others did too, maybe progress wouldn't move at the speed of frozen syrup.

February 19, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim D.

Correction: Forcing his beliefs on others. Just because he doesn't eat meat doesn't give him the right to prevent others from doing it...

February 20, 2013 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  26. that was me...dd

who is this man

February 19, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • itsamemario

he's the lead singer of the smiths, youtube or google him they were a band from the 80s..

February 19, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Gee

no alanis m.'s guy friends are straight...but knows gay men and likes them too-too tell you the truth the gay guys are more fun then the straight guys! lol

February 19, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  28. DropD

So not only will the music stink, so will the food.

February 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. hi

who is this man-

February 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Me

Hmm a vegetarian, but he looks kind of chunky. That's ironic, huh? What are the bleeding ulcers from? Booze? That's not exactly healthy, is it? The Brits can have him. We have enough egotistical, hyprocritial singers over here.

February 19, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lisa

I would love to see his show! I love The Smiths! There is plenty to eat without eating meat!

February 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. rustin

I have always been a huge admirer of his music,since the '80's...he puts on a great show...just go enjoy the concert and swing by Wendy's for a Baconater after

February 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. pope

i think I'll buy tickets for this concert, bring hidden meat products with me and eat them while he performs.
    I'm sure my friends will do the same.
    This will be Fun- lol.

February 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Nancheska

I like Morrissey. I've got The Smith's "Hatful of Hollow" album (Johnny Marr's a superb guitarist.)
    Morrissey's been a vegetarian for many years; I don't think I could be....really tough for me, cuz I needs me iron like Popeye, and spinach by itself ain't gonna do it for me!

February 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Snorlax

Who?

never heard of him.

February 19, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancheska

Morrissey was lead singer of The Smiths, back in the mid-80's or so. Haunting voice, talented songwriter. He used to wear fine suits a lot, sort of like Robert Palmer or Bryan Ferry (but Ferry's son supports fox hunting....doubt Morrissey'd go for that, cuz he supports PETA).

February 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Loren

From the lead singer of a band with an album called "Meat is Murder", does this really surprise anyone?

Also, it is the exception to the rule when an entertainer is not a spoiled jerk, that's why it's always a surprise when one isn't.

February 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Bacon Supporter

As a supporter of bacon and pork related products I find his views disgusting. Just imagine the deliciousness of a hotdog wrapped in bacon, or barbecue porkchops. aaaaaaaah. The essence of life.

February 19, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim D.

Someone needs to set up a Bacon Flash Mob outside the Staples center that night. One step further, everyone show up early and use up all the parking spaces so the people going to the concert have no place to park...

February 20, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P. (Mothers against poo)

YUM

February 22, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  38. Smart Scientist

As a smart scientist I have discovered that bacon may be a miracle food. I've seen people smile while eating it.

February 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  39. jon

ignorable and go see clive.

February 19, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Maybe

he might not have a bleeding ulcer if he ate normal food like steak and ham and bacon. Anyone that won't eat bacon may have problems.

February 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Marie

I saw him interviewed. He seems like one major league t-urd nocker and a total p o s r-ude c-reep. That is just my humble honest opinion.

February 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donnie

Was it the Daily Show interview? I saw it too. Wow he seemed to act like a spoiled jerk IMHO.

February 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |