Don't mess with Texas: Kelly Clarkson has a few words for Clive Davis
February 19th, 2013

Don't mess with Texas: Kelly Clarkson has a few words for Clive Davis

We've never known Kelly Clarkson to not say exactly what she thinks, and true to form, the singer is giving her honest opinion of Clive Davis' new memoir, "Soundtrack of My Life."

In an open letter tweeted from her official account, the singer says she has a different recollection of some events Davis reportedly includes in his book, which details his work with a wide variety of A-list artists as well as personal details, like his bisexuality.

"I just heard Clive Davis is releasing a memoir and spreading false information about me and my music," Clarkson begins, after a proper Texan greeting, in her letter posted to WhoSay on Tuesday. "I refuse to be bullied and I just have to clear up his memory lapses and misinformation for myself and for my fans. It feels like a violation. Growing up is awesome because you learn you don't have to cower to anyone – even Clive Davis."

From there, she outlines her qualms with "Soundtrack": "First, he says I burst into 'hysterical sobbing' in his office when he demanded 'Since You Been Gone' be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up," Clarkson writes, going on to explain that she wanted "more guitars added to the original demo" while Davis didn't. She won out in the end, and now "couldn't be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way."

That's not to say that she never shed tears in his office, though. It seems she became emotional after she played her song "Because of You," a track she says she wrote about her life.

"I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a 'sh***y writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me,'" Clarkson says. "He continued on about how the song didn't rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with."

Lastly, she begs to differ on the success of her album "My December."

" 'My December' went platinum ... I am very proud of that and I have my fans to thank," she says. "But, again, what's most interesting about his story is what he leaves out: He doesn't mention how he stood up in front of his company at a convention and belittled me and my music and completely sabotaged the entire project. [The album] never had a chance to reach its full potential."

She may sound bitter, but Clarkson assures her fans that she's happy with her career and "all of my professional relationships ... now. And I am grateful to Clive for teaching me to know the difference."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Free chatline

One other thing is that an online business administration course is designed for scholars to be able to easily proceed to bachelor degree programs. The Ninety credit diploma meets the other bachelor diploma requirements and when you earn your current associate of arts in BA online, you'll have access to the most up-to-date technologies within this field. Several reasons why students need to get their associate degree in business is because they can be interested in the field and want to get the general training necessary in advance of jumping right bachelor diploma program. Thx for the tips you provide as part of your blog.

March 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ShowBusiness

clive knows the law he's been in business over 50 years...kelly needs too keep her mouth shut and be honored clive is paying attention to her at all...

March 1, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ty Henderson

Clive Barnes doesn't seem to understand the law of cause and effect. Doesn't he know he will pay for pimping our youth out to the world for profit?
    How dare you belittle our beloved youth division. I love Ms Clarkson! Clive...CHILL OUT...one day you're going to die with people hating you! How sad!!!

March 1, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sheryl

GO KELLY!

February 25, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. How does one hate somebody that much?

and let's not talke about phones and computers-kelly m. is an expert on the issue now....

February 25, 2013 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. MaryAnne

over coffee i said too my friends.... i do not like kelly, nor do i like her style and now am more curious about kelly's game then i was before.....

February 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Missy

is lucky clive has put up with her all these years....any record producer would have terminated her...

February 24, 2013 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kelly is a disgrace and a no talent.

she has no respect for anyone but her own selfish agenda....we can't stand her. she's not really what we call a 2013 woman at all.

February 24, 2013 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. She received some points for hacking in

;p

February 24, 2013 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kelly is wife of the second today

;p

February 24, 2013 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. emilyledoux

Seriously, who's Kelly Clarkson? I take it she is some singer....

February 23, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kelly is gross

look at her...God

February 21, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wasn't kelly's husband in jail?

no wait that's wrong

February 21, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kelly

again: you gotta get help kiddo...there is a problem

February 21, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ingyandbert

This girl is completely obnoxious and full of herself. Enough already. STFU, Kelly!

February 21, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trey

Weird; I don't get that vibe at all from her. I don't see how it's strange that she would speak up to add information when she feels someone is significantly distorting facts that pertain directly to her. But then I guess if a person has a strong dislike of a celebrity to begin with, everything that celebrity does will be treated with contempt. Hence half of the comments in the entire CNN:Entertainment section.

February 22, 2013 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tool Addicted

It took Kelly M. about 1 hour to nail it...thanks.

February 21, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. He can't be bothered...No Way

send me the afternoon hollywood setup....thanks.

February 21, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. who's talking to a hack lis

get off it...kelly is a tool

February 21, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LISETTE--IN

WHY DO YOU SPEAK TO A HACK MIDGE?

February 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LISETTE IN...

WHY ARE YOU EXPLAING ANYTHING TO A HACKING TOOL?

February 21, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Floating Career

She paid her dues and now heading to aruba for 2 weeks...she doesn't have summers off every year.

February 21, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Wanna go makeup some phone calls

so tool can join in?....sad

February 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. the tool

all you can do...

February 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Danielle

Good for Kelly Clarkson. I've heard stories about Clive Davis as well.

February 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. viaquest

Clive Davis is a Music legend, Kelly Clarkson won a game show and owes her career to .... Clive Davis ... believe who you want to!

February 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. don't care either...

Paul is one of the greatest artists of our time and still very popular among fans....we'll see him soon - yay!

February 21, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  27. many do -- some don't

that's life.

February 21, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  28. mickey

poor Clive. the age of dinosaurs is over. soon the new music biz is too small for big shots.

February 21, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  29. Dave

Don't care. Kelly is one of the finest pop stars ever and at her age has made amazing contributions to the industry. She is an artist with an amazing voice that gets better and better with age. God bless you Kelly, may you be around a long long time and continue to entertain us.

February 21, 2013 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  30. Gee She Never Figured That Out...

duh

February 21, 2013 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  31. MadeYouLookAzzhole

Dumb beatch, he's got surveillance in his office. I'm sure that when he rolls out the video, you'll be sobbing hysterically!

February 21, 2013 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  32. plumsucker

That old has been geezer has got fade off into the woodwork. He's a has-been !!

February 21, 2013 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  33. jross

Brittney's a singer?

February 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. benjy

Not a huge Clarkson fan, but GOOD FOR HER for standing up to that petrified geezer who thinks that what worked in 1970 still does. He's derailed more than one talented artist due to his my-way-or-the-highway brand of producing.

February 20, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. ben

but rolling stones were signed as a cover band, but they innovated and put their stamp on something, Something bands and artists fail to do today. Even though,it has all been done, you have to still have to put a spin on it and be true.

Its much harder, but still possible. Because everyone thinks they can do it, and a few slip by is the issue. Not everyone can. Too many singer, and not enough one in a millions w a personality

February 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  36. takeahikie

please! take your nagging gratting whining voice and your stupid "songs" and just go away...hopefully,far away...soon..

February 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  37. judi lemons

GOOD FOR YOU KELLY! Standing up for the truth says so much about you and puts this old, spoiled, demented man in his place! He has NO power over you or anyone else I HOPE! He's OVER!

February 20, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  38. The 5 supremes--

wanna hear him–gotz the time–let's try.

February 20, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  39. They are called "ghost writers". Many greats use them.

February 20, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. jean backot

wanna hear him - time is here--i don't want anymore 666 moments.

February 20, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Time-

they gotta get over the block otherwise they back to the same pattern....talk about anything...i have the time to hear all about the musician--

February 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  42. The beauty of the music...

is imagining the movement, the sounds.....then the lyric flows out....done.

February 20, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. No they don't

barbra streisand does not write her own music.

February 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • MTL

Barbra has indeed written or co-written some of her own music, including among others, the award winning Evergreen.

February 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jimbo913

Real musicians and artists write their own songs. Boy bands and manufactured stars do what they are told and have no real connection to the stuff they sing. If you sing but don't either play an instrument or write your lyrics, you are a poser. Nothing more.

February 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • you can be connected in many different ways...

i'm older i know all about connection....you can be present with another musician and just in his presence without singing a lyric and you are connected...

February 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Frank Sinatra never wrote a single song. Elvis did mostly covers. The Rolling stones were huge before they ever wrote their first song.

Hardly posers.

February 20, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

BS....... so if your a bass player or drummer, or clarinetist or.. etc but not a composer your a poser??? or is it just singers because you don't think THAT is an instrument (try it......) how about composers who can't play an instrument for sh t? (happens ALL the time)..... I compose and play several instruments at a professional level... the hardest one? VOICE!

February 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • i don't run my music that way....

i look at the piece of music and just go...not a word needs to be sung......not a word. truth!

February 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • shy

once the few lyrics come out...off they go.

February 20, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimbo913

Maybe I should clarify. If your name is the name of the band and you do nothing but sing, you are a poser. Elvis played guitar, Rolling Stones had people who were tops at their instruments, and as you said, did eventually write their own tunes. Sinatra is in fact a poser. Also, some of you didn't read my post correctly (my bad I suppose), but playing an instrument does qualify you as a musician. I am talking about people who just go out there without any musical talent (or work) and just sing songs other people wrote, you are a poser. You are a singer, nothing more, you are not a musician. Brittney Spears is not a musician. She is a singer.

February 20, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spears?

i hate britney spears...that was too annoy my visitor...she's cute but i'd rather be at a stones concert.

February 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • debw

So, Sinatra was "just a singer". Or a poser. And I guess the great Ella Fitzgerald was too? Even though she too, was considered a great interpreter of songs and lyrics, and composers LOVED her because of what she did with their music. Same could be said for Frank Sinatra. And for Barbra Streisand, although she isn't my favorite. The great Harold Arlen thought Streisand was pretty wonderful. A talented vocalist and singer isn't "just" crap, or a poser. I suppose some singers can mimic any style, but a true artist can take a great song, and make it unique, sell it in a way no other singer can. That is why Sinatra was Sinatra, etc. It's snobbish and dismissive to throw great singers in the trash bin just because they haven't written something.

February 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Benjy

Britney never was & never will be a real SINGER (which is an actual talent & hardly the stuff of a poser). She's a pop tart plain & simple. If you think Sinatra or anyone of his ilk was/is a poser, you know NOTHING about the difficulties & skill of vocalization.

February 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tug Romney

Britney Spears is neither a singer nor a musician. She lacks the talent to be defined as either. She's a performer, or an "entertainer," neither of which requires any real talent – they just require an audience with no taste to believe they have talent and keep their career afloat.

February 21, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  45. i can't see kelly...

where is she.

February 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. hi!

I love clive...he's so smart.

February 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Peggy

Although I am not a big fan of current pop music, I like Kelly Clarkson's music. I never hear of Clive Davis until I saw him on American Idol - I think it was Season 5 - when he picked a lousy song for my favorite of that season during the Top 3 week. I believe he deliberately picked a crappy song so that singer would not make it to the Top 2.

February 20, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • freya

Clive Davis is the one who gave you Kelly Clarkson. Without him she is nothing right now

February 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Bluedestiny

Not my style of music, but see here the usual round of those who hate success spouting nonsense. Glad for her success, and too bad Clive took the low road and punted 1-sided pejorative stories. Kudos to Clarkson for standing up to what sounds like a douch3 being a douch3.

February 20, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • GETCHA

Not only did Clive take the low road, but it sounds like he's taken the BACK road a time or two...

February 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  49. TellinItLikeItIs

Clive Davis is a great big A S S, and Kelly Clarkson HAS a great big A S S.

February 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Meh

Sweetheart, you were bred on a stage performing someone else's material. I guess its too late to say dont let it go to your head then...

February 20, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • okaaaay

Um, maybe 10% of artists are found performing ONLY their original music. The other 90% are all found doing covers of other artists'. Even The Beatles! Also, Kelly DID try the way other artists did, going to LA, recording demos, etc. But she wont the lottery when she made it on American Idol. You can't fault anyone for that!

February 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barney

Dumb comment. Lots of the greats had other people write songs for them. Research it and you'll be very, very surprised. She now writes her own stuff, values folks input, and is a terrific talent. Anyone that thinks otherwise is foolish.

February 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • i see

February 20, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Magoo

I don't. :(

February 20, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meh

Not a dumb comment at all – the other artists you would refer to have DECADES of other material to their credit. She's just a victim of today's 'quick'n'dirty money making talent hunters who are looking for the quick million.

February 21, 2013 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  51. Monica

I could care about all the rude haters and their above comments...Love Kelly Clarkson! Good for her for standing up to the old guy who thinks he can bully young women! Sounds to me he did not approve of her being from IDOL and probably just upset because he was not strong enough to come out of the closet earlier in his life! COWARD! Go Kelly and proud of you for standing up to this jerk!

February 20, 2013 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  52. Diane

Well, I don't think she is a good singer but everyone has their opinion. Didn't she used to talk great about Clive Davis? If she didn't like him she should have spoken up back then, oh, but she didn't want to miss her paychecks, but now that she is hot stuff she says what she wants, just like all the others. It's nice that she voices her opinion, hey, freedom of speech, but she is not classy or tactful when she speaks, just shows the real her....

February 20, 2013 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • George

Kelly wasn't aware of Clive's views on her until he wrote the book. that's why Kelly is speaking out now about it. It wasn't a real issue until now.

February 20, 2013 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Pablo

Didn't you read the article. She said she thought he was a musical hero. Or do youjust blab?

February 20, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Gary

Really don't know who this Clarkson is but I like how everything negative has to be a positive from what someone says or writes. Usually a clear indication of insecurity.

February 20, 2013 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  54. Joe Kenadee

I can't believe she is proud of since you been gone! Seriously she totally ripped off Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They guitars in the song is a copy of the guitar riffs from the song and the entire melody was stolen. Great Work Kelly! I do feel sorry for you though having to deal with Clive Davis it's no secret that he's been an A**hole forever; he destroyed Phyllis Hyman's career for not taking his crap sure he would've destroyed yours if he could've. Should you read my little blurb please, please, please get a prenup Reba's stepson will rob you blind in three years!

February 20, 2013 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

I don't think she specifically picked what guitar riffs she wanted. They added that stuff in for her. You gotta remember that she was just an American Idol where all of the songs were just given to her to sing. She didn't have much creative flexibility at first, and this is probably why is bitter with Clive Davis once she tried breaking out of that egg shell.

February 20, 2013 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  55. all those hours of obsession....

are now floating further and further away....

February 20, 2013 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  56. Kelly

can finally have s*x in the day again for awhile. hahaha

February 20, 2013 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  57. Ezra

I am so proud of you Kelly. Stay the course. Play that music that you were born to sing and let no one rain on your parade. But if they do, you be sure to let them know, just like you did here, that they need to rain on just some other day. Stay beautiful.

February 20, 2013 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
    • freya

"Born to sing" LOL if not for Clive she will be the third act in the Hotel Mirage like other idol winner.

February 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Moscowjoe

Clive who?! Get a grip, Kelly isvtge most honest forthright non grandstanding person in the business, Clive is a user of the first magnitude

February 20, 2013 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  59. FredErick

Poor Clive Davis. Is he not the same class act who outright refused to cancel his label's Grammy bash while his main recording artist *and cash cow* of the past 20 years (Whitney) lay stone cold dead in a bathtub only 3 floors above his banquet hall? Uhmmmm somehow I tend to believe Miss Clarkson 1000%; I doubt that old Clive has ever gave a rat's ass about any artist locked into a legal contract with his label. He is all and only about control and money!

February 19, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mike

Your music kelley? Hahaha. Come on. Haha. Lucky you.

February 19, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Stacy

Give me a break! Hey Kelly, you should really learn to keep your big mouth shut. He is one of the greatest music producers of all time and you are some chick who won Idol! He's worth $800 million so he must know a thing or two. To make such a big deal out of this just shows your immaturity. Good thing you have 12 year old fans to support you

February 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

Is that why Whitney went the way she did because Clive Davis knew a thing or two?

If Clive had his way all the time, The Bodyguard Soundtrack wouldn't have happened.
      He's a misogynistic pig who needs to know exactly where he should stand with people's lives/careers esp. women's.

February 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Femmina

Please join the realm of reality. First of all, Clarkson did not write that Davis knows nothing. She disputed things that he wrote about her, that she believed are not true. I would do the same. The fact that someone is obscenely wealthy does not imply that he/she is not mean that he/she is NOT belittling, rude, dismissive, and extremely difficult to work with/for. Many geniuses are like that. Given that fact, I tend to believe what Clarkson wrote. But, neither you nor I really know what was said. So, let's not judge.

February 19, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arbeegee

Stacy,
      Why not take your own advice and shut up? Yeah, Kelly is a "chick that won Idol". She's also a "chick" who has sold a lot of records since her Idol success. Sounds to me like Clive might have been trying to hold her back because she didn't necessarily agree with absolutely everything he said or wanted her to do and would not bow down to his every whim.

February 20, 2013 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  62. whatever

All the "he said, she said" aside, at the end of the article I still had no idea who this guy is and I'm not interested enough to even Google his name.

February 19, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  63. peacemonger

the music industry is a very tough business.....

February 19, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Anton

She's should shut up.

With her crazy political views who's to say she's just not reacting to his "unconventional" lifestyle.

February 19, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

the hell are you talking about?
      She backtracked her Ron Paul statements and still voted for Obama twice, tyvm.
      Go be ignorant elsewhere, fool.

February 19, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Femmina

Seriously? That's quite a judgmental leap. Regardless of her opinion of Davis' lifestyle, she disputed published facts, and did it quite well. We weren't there. We don't know what happened.

February 19, 2013 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Wow

She CAN be brave now. I am impressed. The truth of the cream always rises to the top. Cant be trampled by snakes.

February 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ami

Simple comment to make: Go Kelly.

February 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  67. jacobsamples

I have to 100% agree with Kelly. This guy is a nasty snake to the highest degree. he 100% DID sabotage her My December album, and honestly, I think it's my FAVORITE Kelly album of all time. It is literally the ONLY Kelly album I can listen to straight through without skipping tracks. I am glad she got away from that circle of management, they are disgusting individuals....and Clive Davis is a plastic-faced ugly ass has-been who knows NOTHING about current artistry.

February 19, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Tyler

Yeah, the pray first is a must for secured success.

February 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  69. warren

kelly tread lightly. You messing with very powerful force in the music industry. Beside you are hypocrite. You supprted ron paul. But did the inaugration!

February 19, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

She backtracked and voted for Obama twice. People are allowed to make mistakes from time to time. Live & let live.

February 19, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Beth

Good for her!

February 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Clive

clive may be working at oscar de la renta...nice fresh change..he loves the fashion industry

February 19, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  72. ProperVillain

Clive sounds like a talentless hanger on who takes out his frustration due to his lack of musical talent on the very artists that make him rich. Sounds like a real prima donna with zero class and even less talent. Too bad the music industry rewards bullies like this, if the world was a fair place he would be working the night shift at McDonald's...

February 19, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  73. only thing worse

than hippie music is country music. just a bunch if necks riding around in pickups causing trouble. probably nothing worse than 'necks, except maybe hippies. and whites. and blacks.

February 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Then who's left, Asians and Mexicans ?? though i do agree that country music really sucks. southern hillbillys are dumb

February 20, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  74. lolol

did somone say bar?

February 19, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  75. kbar

Kelly had a tremendous voice. She has also learned a lot about the music industry. No one is perfect, not even Clive. That song that Clive told wasn’t any good, turned out to be a hit in BOTH Pop and Country. Kelley and Reba preformed it together at an award show (Gramy’s I think… could be CMA’s) One of the best things Kelly ever did was to fire her management team and hire Navel (Reba's husband) to be her manager. Her career was extended and she is a better overall artist for having done so.
    Oh, and linda... she was the better artist and should have won. It wasn't a lack of being 'down to earth' that caused her to express her frustration. It was just that, frustration. After a few more years in the industry she learned not to let that sort of thing show.

February 19, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bruce

Creativity is a good thing, sometimes the singer knows a little bit about what might sound good. I understand Clive is a proven winner in the industry but it sounds like sometimes you have to let the talent off the leash and go freestye , you might be amazed at the results.

February 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • no way

creativity is just dumb and in creative. everyone is trying to be creative these days. I think they are gay.

February 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • dang it

I meant creativity is uncreative. bvery uncreative. it's what everyone is trying to be. It's just lame. and gay.

February 19, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • rosethornne

I believe you may have misspelled "proven whiner"...

February 19, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  77. KellyFan

kelly & crew will finish up concert tour 2 more mo in the town of Korean Lee-–
    kool in the a.m. korean lee from 10-3

February 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Bobby frank

clive needs to give a public apology or change the book to fiction

February 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  79. linda

I liked Kelly Clarkson when she first won it was after the International Idol when the gentleman from Australia won she acted like a diva and spoiled brat saying I'm better than him I should have won and stomped off the stage. I thought she was a humble down to earth person. NOT SO!!!!

February 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

She didn't say any of that or acted that way. What the hell were you watching?

February 20, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  80. piteus

I believe Clarkson's recollection, but Clive Davis is not someone to mess with. Ask Toni Braxton and TLC. Maybe Clarkson got a hold of Davis' health reports.

February 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

He's not Pres of her label anymore. He left in 2008. Doubt she is all that scared of what he can do now.

February 19, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Mr. De'Shon

That's a very good story. Honestly,I haven't listened to your music before. I read this & now, Im gonna actually check you out. You got some moxie, ma! I like that.

February 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  82. The Real Diva

You go girl my son is trying to get into the industry I told him to always be true to yourself. Always pray first.

February 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Always pray first"

Yes of course, because nonexistent magic deities are always a sure fire way to launch a career.

I would suggest sacrificing a goat to Raa.

That always helps.

February 20, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  83. td40

I'm sure you are God's gift to women. Guys who write stuff about women like what you wrote usually do so because they are frustrated, get no action, and are ugly as hell themselves. Kelly Clarkson would probably laugh at you... like all the other women do.

February 19, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  84. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

Fill his mouth

February 20, 2013 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  85. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

Ma'am you need to get your mind out of the gutter and get over your coprophobia. It's not healthy to fear butt fudge so much.

February 20, 2013 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  86. C. Davis

Butt nuggets in the nose, mouth full of dog poo...I've had worse, fellas. Just don't give me a Kansas City Push Pop. I HATE those!

The Clivester

February 20, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  87. jackson

Wow, you sure are proud to show off your second grade dropout education, aren't you?

February 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |