Mindy McCready: A playlist
February 18th, 2013

Mindy McCready: A playlist

While her personal life overshadowed her career in recent years, Mindy McCready's entry into the business left behind some durable hits.

After moving to Nashville at 18, McCready became the next country star in the making with her 1996 debut album, "Ten Thousand Angels." The disc went double-platinum and spawned three top 10 country songs, including the No. 1 single "Guys Do It All The Time":

That rallying cry for equality was a favorite from that album along with the title track, "Ten Thousand Angels":

And "A Girl's Gotta Do (What A Girl's Gotta Do)":

The following year brought a new record, "If I Don't Stay the Night." Although that album didn't reach the same level of success as "Ten Thousand Angels," it was certified gold and held another memorable song in its tracklist, "You'll Never Know":

In a 1996 interview with Billboard magazine, McCready reflected on the difference between creating a smash single for the sake of climbing the charts and creating a song with heart.

"We ... neglect to remember that our song(s) might actually mean something to people. Instead, we try to cut a 'hit song,'" she said. "When I cut every song on my (first) record, I wanted them to be something that I could identify with, (to create) a bond that I would have with each of my fans as an artist."

Although the aughts brought a turbulent personal life, McCready showed tenacity with her 2010 album, "I'm Still Here," the title track for which reflected her songwriting philosophy:

Gallery: The life of Mindy McCready

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

« Previous entry
  1. Ashanti Kotts

we should always be updated with current events specially in this very fast paced modern society.^..

Very latest short article straight from our web-site
    <http://www.caramoantourpackage.com

May 1, 2013 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Amy

To DeeDee: Ron speaks the truth. I guess Marsha90 doesn't read current events either to know more info about her from the past few months news.

February 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Walker, Texas Zombie

I hope they remember to fix her so she won't become a Walker. It'd be rough waking up as a zombie. Especially someone nice like her.

February 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dahneetra

I saw her live at The Apollo Theater many years ago. This was before her breakthrough performances with Sly and the Family Stone. That girl could sing.

February 18, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marsha90

who? I'm involved in the country music business and have never heard of her

February 18, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sadie

It was a nice article, but you forgot the most important part. She committed suicide on Sunday, a month after her boyfriend was found dead on the same porch of an apparent suicide. She was a tortured soul. I feel bad for her kids.

February 18, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pedro

Who ? Was she one of the Beatles?

February 18, 2013 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Delinkus Rae

She was lead singer of the Oak Ridge Boys and win 7 Grammy Awards. She was a great artist.

February 18, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |