Welcome to parenthood, Steve Martin
February 13th, 2013

Welcome to parenthood, Steve Martin

Steve Martin is now a "Father" of a little someone in real life.

The 67-year-old actor and his wife, Anne Stringfield, are new parents, CNN's confirmed.

According to the New York Post's Page Six, Stringfield, 41, and Martin welcomed their new addition in December. The famously private Martin and Stringfield were reportedly seen out with the baby near their L.A. home.

An anonymous source whispered to Page Six that it's unclear how Martin and his wife were able to keep their child's arrival a secret. “They are thrilled," the source said. "They worked hard to have the baby.”

The couple wed in a surprise ceremony in 2007.

1. Big Mike

I read all of the posts and noticed that because someone was concerned about his age and short time remaining to raise a child that they were lumped into a class of "haters". Now who's being judgemental? The ADULTS enumerated all the proper reasons why this isn't the best scenario to father a child yet didn't go into DNA mutation and other diseases that may befall this child either in-utero or in later development stages. He is elderly and DNA replication makes mistakes as we age.
    The fans who pointed out that this kid won't have a father (and best friend) to guide this baby into the future mayhem the world is dissolving into, when he/she is an adult, are correct. The ignorant smugly retorted at least he/she will be well off and have a mother. Who says? She could have died in childbirth or may have an accident/ disease like you have all jollyly pointed out for anyone in their 20's. Then where would this child be when the medical bills eat up what Steve squirreled away throughout the years. What if both parents get sick or die? Also, taking care of sickly parents are more likely when the parents are elderly. Alone and raised by strangers could be another scenario which this "baby" may have to face later. No guidance at any juncture could lead to drugs or alcohol abuse in "Hollyweird".
    We all love Steve but you need to think before you write because the thing in-between your ears isn't just a paperweight to keep your body from floating off into space.

March 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wonderful news

and happy for steve!

February 24, 2013 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dan

Congrats to Steve and his wife. Much happiness for their new family member.
    I think most critical posters should shut up and stop judging. Are you so concerned about the child that you will contribute somehow to his upbringing?. Nope. So STFU. Steve and his wife can do a good job planning and worrying about the kid's future. The critical crowd can stop worrying for them, as they bring NOTHING to the kid's upbringing anyhow.

February 24, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Steven Martin

Guy totally screwed this name up! Every time someone hears my name they ask me if I'm related to him!

February 23, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. yay steve

stuck with her for the night i guess...as long as it aint me.

February 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Peace

MmmHmm, that's hard work alright. Good for them!

February 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. pmn

Awww...that's great!

February 14, 2013 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kathy

I really love Steve Martin but if this was a woman people would be flipping out.

February 14, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sadie

My first reaction was that he was too old to be having children. I then thought about the fact that this child would probably have all the love in the world, and have one great life. People are living longer, and have healthier life styles. Yes, Steve Martin probably won't see his child grow up into his adult years, but nobody has that guarantee anyway. Congrats to him and his wife.

February 14, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Alvarez

Sweet-a heart shaped box of butt dumplings.

February 14, 2013 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. mmi16

The birthright of any child is to be desired, wanted and loved by it's parents. This child has that.

Life is not guaranteed, no matter how young or old the parents are.

February 14, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jimh77

Steve, if you even care to read this crap. Congrats dude!!! Not only can you freakin play the Sh$t out of that Banjo, you can still make babies!!!! Way to go my friend!! I'll keep playin my 4 string Bass bud! yada yada. God bless and see ya in a few weeks. Jim

February 14, 2013 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • k

Not saying anything against Steve Martin – but any idiot can make a baby even at this advancing age. Maybe Hugh Hefner will be next,

February 14, 2013 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Stephanie

Great news, im excited for them. They will be well taken care of and so what if he is the age he is. He is 60 years of awesome talent and would be one hell of a father. Way to go Steve, you are the man!!!!

February 14, 2013 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Charles

I had my daughter when I was 69. She's in college now. I'm not sure what all the judgements are about.

No wonder he's so private- people can be shamefully rude.

February 14, 2013 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Laura

My husband lost his dad when he was 10. I lost my dad when I was 21. It's no fun. My husband especially suffered. The man is 67 years old. He's had 50 years to become a father and didn't do it. A very selfish move at age 67. And guess what? They'll probably have another child!

February 13, 2013 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diablo135

Well you are the rude one. You don't know anything about Mr Martin or his life or his bility to care for a child. Who are you to judge?

February 14, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Martin...

is a better man then you are...your a disgrace

February 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • VR13

Laura is not entirely incorrect. When Steve Martin gets to his 70s and older, it will be quite hard for him to play baseball with the kid, to teach him riding bike, to understand and fully relate when the boys needs shares his concerns and feelings. The boy on the other hand, instead of learning how to jump from the pier into the water or how to build a rocket out of a bottle, will have to spend a lot of time tending to an older father. It's not just all rosy.

February 27, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. John-117

He pretty old, but it can be done. My friend who is 26 has a father who fought in World War II. He had her in his 60s as well. He's closing in on 90 and is still working. He's not even a walmart greeter. He's an active everyday bank manager.

February 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Alvarez

Looks like there's melted Valentines chocolate in my underwear.

February 13, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Nancy

Congratulations to Steve and his wife on the arrival of "Prince Tut"!!!

February 13, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mack

If you're 80 and your wife is 48 and you can successfully have a child, should you? If I was a kid, I wouldn't want my dad to die when I was 5. At some point this becomes ridiculous and ill advised.

February 13, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mack

Congrats and all that, and I know the kid will be well taken care of, but when you're 67 you might see the kid graduate high school – then you're dead. At some point, doesn't a human being impose a cut-off age in spite of their desire to have a kid, due to the affect on the kid itself? If it wasn't Steve Martin, and the family had $4,000 in the bank, would anyone be praising this? Again, all the best but a wee bit selfish in my mind.

February 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lindalou

How cool would that be to have Steve Martin as your dad!

February 13, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Nanodot

Congratulations! There are no guarantees in life, at any age. Even if the child does lose Steve before he graduates high school, the kid is ALIVE, and loved, and will have an amazing childhood. And Steve is aging fantastically anyhow.

February 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

Exactly and it isn't up to everybody else who does what when. That is their business as a married couple. There are no guarantees in life for sure.

February 14, 2013 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  23. i love valentine's day and steve.

good night everyone!

February 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Brian

Congratulations, but at the same time, I hope he makes the effort to take damn good care of his health. When you take on the awesome responsibility of having a child, you have an obligation to try to be there for their ENTIRE upbringing.

February 13, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • JGN

Be...cause...everyone else on earth does do such an excellent job of doing so? Why should Steve Martin be the only one to carry that torch? You are either a very lucky child or living in a complete fantasy world.

February 14, 2013 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  25. Congrats Steve...

all the best!!!!!

February 13, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sophie

Awesome~~~Congratulations to all three. I love babies.

February 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Joe citizen abroad

Yeah. Yeah. Congrats, Steve. But what's with the Elton John wardrobe?

February 13, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Old fart but that old I think

Fantastic, Steve! 67 yrs. old! You give a kick in the pants to everyone who whines their life is over
    by the time they're 40-45yrs.

February 13, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  29. cuz kids

my cousin has started to discuss with her sons who are 6 yrs old if they would like too play piano, drums etc...

February 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. rick

How young can you teach a kid to play a banjo?

Congratulations to the parents.

February 13, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. cleareye1

They "worked hard to have a baby?" The last time I did it there was no work at all, just fun.

February 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Congrats

...and this little baby. And that's all I need...

– The Jerk

February 13, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. stop it tomorrow is valentine's day

love love love!!

February 13, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Anastasia Beaverhausen

That child will be without a father much earlier than he should. I know this for a fact. 67 is too old.

February 13, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • skipper Sam

I hope they adopted Steve will be 80 when the kid becomes a teen..

February 13, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • jason83

What exactly does age have to do with becoming a father? Take for example Clint Eastwood was 66 years old in 1996 when his youngest daughter was born. Look at Clint today. He is still working today in films for pete sake. In 2013 Clint's youngest will be 17 years old and Clint will be 83 years old in May. If Clint can do it, than Steve can to, and besides it's none of our business when people decide on parenthood.

February 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

jason83, what you fail to realize is that when a parent is that old, the child can grow up frequently stressed out at the thought of a parent dying. Statistics don't lie - you're much more likely to pass away in your 60's or 70's than if you're in your 30's or 40's, and kids know that.

It can work for Martin, but only if he takes very seriously his child's emotional needs. My father was in his 60's when I was born, and it worked out, but I would definitely not recommend it for everyone.

February 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindalou

I've known people who've died in accidents in their 20's..death can come at any time. Make the most of your time on earth, we're all vulnerable!

February 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Lindalou, you're still missing my point. It's a fact that the overall likelihood of dying is still much higher in one's advanced years, and kids are very aware of that.

It's very politically correct to say "you can die at any age", but it's not that simple. Seriously, I hope it works out well for him, but I think that many of the people commenting here have no experience in this arena.

February 13, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

I agree, everyone loves Steve Martin, but this is what happens when a celebrity has too much free time on their hands.

February 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Blackflag

It's tough when your 8 year old son can kick your ass.

February 13, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Not RecentlyIdiot..

did you see me having a convo with the guy who said i looked 38...what's wrong with me..

February 13, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. KM

Who da baby daddy?

February 13, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  38. oh no...

you've never seen me and al - oh my god oh my god...my life has become so pathetic

February 13, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Maynard

It's MY baby.

February 13, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jason83

I have A LOT of respect for Mr. Martin, who wants to keep his personal life out of the press and media. I praise Mr. Marin for choosing for all of his accomplishments over the years. Mr. Martin is one of the very few celebrities that continues to get better with age. He doesn't have to prove himself with movies or his music. I hope and pray everybody just leaves them alone so that they can enjoy raising their little bundle of joy without being on tmz and entertainment tonight. At this stage of Mr. Martin's life, he has plenty of money to support his family and just enjoy his wife and new baby. Take it easy, Mr. Martin. Relax and enjoy the good times ahead. Continued success with everything. Thank you Mr. Martin for all that you have done for us over the decades and just being a true class act. Jason.

February 13, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

February 13, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

be quiet

-----------
      Shhhhh!

February 13, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

I agree. You said or wrote that very well. He has entertained me over the years for sure. He has worked hard. Sit back and relax and enjoy the baby. Remember Parenthood,Father of the Bride, he was a natural at least he made it look easy!! Hats off again, congratulations!

February 14, 2013 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  41. Back Up

have you ever seen me and janine in action at slides?

February 13, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  42. eatvegies

I bet he is going to be such cool dad!I just watched "Cheaper by the dozen" ,he played such good father in the movie and i felt sad that he didn't have his own kids,but I was wrong :-) Great news!!!

February 13, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Seth

Couldn't stand the saccharin treacle of the Parenthood franchise, but Martin is a standup guy and I wish him all the best.

February 13, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Mary

I think Steve Martin is cool.. But since this is a comment section I have to state my opinion..
    Loosing a parent is hard.. At any age..
    Having children just because you can at this man's age.. Is great for him.. It adds a lot to the end of his life.
    But it isn't fair to the child that will loose their father when they are young..
    There is a good reason that women go through the change and cant have children.. And a good reason why men were supposed to still be married to those women when they did..
    Having kids you won't be around for..Is wrong..
    And some will call me judgmental.. But it doesn't matter.. Because the child will still suffer the loss of his father at an early age.

February 13, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Agree completely. The math should definitely play a factor in deciding to have kids.

February 13, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniela

While I can see your point, keep in mind that even young parents can die -either from sickness or accidents or any other possibility. There are no guarantees in life. However one comes into this world is a gift and it is not our job to question it. I am an adopted person and struggled for years trying to figure out how being a "mistake" could ever add up. I also am an older mom -I have a four year old and am 42. Did I plan this? No...I had dreams of having lots of kids before I was 30. However, life does not always work how you plan it -I did not marry until 37...and the rest is history. What you can be certain of is that this child of Mr. Martin's will be well taken care of...and the mom is still young...we can't live with a mindset of death -we can only live for today.

February 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Umpire Sam

I hope they adopted Steve will be 80 when the kid becomes a teen..

February 13, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I see your point, Mary.

February 13, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JGN

Mary, you aren't very good at math are you? There is every reason to believe that Steve Martin will watch his child graduate from high school, thus not being such a 'child' anymore. My brother died at 44 years old leaving his 10 year old son an orphan. He didn't know he wasn't going to be able to see his son graduate from high school or even junior high, and none of us can possibly know when we are going to die so why would you make such a clueless and unkind comment?

February 14, 2013 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  45. Rick

The source said. "They worked hard to have the baby.”

Quote of the Day

February 13, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

I did not think of it as WORK, but then again, may be it was...for them.

February 13, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Craig

Honestly, who would begrudge Steve Martin, of all people, the right to father a child at 67, 77, 87, or 97? Here is a tremendously talented individual who has given us so much entertainment over forty years, a man who - to all appearances - is legitimately humble, dedicated to those things about which he cares, and who has been lucky enough to find personal happiness at this stage of his life. If we want to start talking about the people whose judgement might be called into question for their decision to have children, we would - even if it was our business - go a long, long, long, long way down that list before reaching Steve Martin. Mr. Martin, you have my utter admiration, and I wish you congratulations and a life long enough to perform the Great Flydini at a college fundraiser for your grandkids' school.

February 13, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jason83

Haven't watched Parenthood (89) in a LONG time. Forgot how good of a film that was. Anyway, Congratulations Mr. Martin and ENJOY. Steve will be 68 this year. When the child graduates Mr. Martin will be approaching 86. The same could be easily said about a 25 year old parent.

February 13, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  48. shalom sisters

hi

February 13, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. mariel

Why can't we be just happy for them. I just can't bellieve the comments some people make here. At least he's taking care of his baby. Congratulations to Steve and his wife.

February 13, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

AS the mother of child who lost their father at 12..I can tell you..
      You do not deliberately set your child up for that kind of pain..
      THAT tis why the comments..
      Good guy or not.. This is about giving a child the benefit of being a parent for as long as you possilby can.. Not setting a child up to loose you way to early...

February 13, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  50. daphodil

to all haters stop..and jus b happy for them, none of u will b asked to babysit...and that is ur lost..now r u still LOL...ha ha

February 13, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  51. yem

We are enjoying a new born grandson immensely. We wish Steve and wife all the best.

February 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. glenda

Martin should have had kids 30 years ago, when he was so very good looking. When Martin is 77, his kid will be 10, and wanting daddy to play with him or her. Even the wife will be 51. Wow! SNL, here it comes!

February 13, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  53. coderjones

Way to go Steve!!! Congrats!!!

NO JUGGLING !!!!!

February 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Jimjam77887

CONGRATULATIONS STEVE AND ANNE!!! Sure a talented and funny man, your child will be blessed growing up in a house full of fun and humor. This is even better than "Pointy, pointy shoes."

February 13, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  55. hey

good luck from us too steve

February 13, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. dee

I LOVE STeve Martin. Watched Father of the Bride II this weekend. That said, he's too old to be a father. I guess he's a young 67, but still – he's pushing 70.
    GOOD LUCK to them.

February 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Dan

I'm 67 and I want what he's taking.

February 13, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  58. mommajam

Congratulations!!! I'm sure Steve will be a great father.

February 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • kent

dad is going to be a "wild and crazy guy"!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 13, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kent

i wonder if he'll buy his kid a fur sink? or a gasoline powered turtleneck sweater? perhaps a $300 pair of socks. congratulation to a funny man. i hope it's the highlight of his life.

February 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jerk

He finally figured out his special purpose.

February 13, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Rochester teacher-lady

Here we go again, another chld losing a parent when they're 10 yrs old because someone wanted to be a parent! Selfish! Perhaps he will live a long life, but this child will likely be without a father by the time he/she is 20!

February 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • ladyplf

Why ASSume he wanted a child? I figure the wife wanted a child because she was married to a rich old attractive guy, and wanted some security. Plus her clock was ticking at 40+; poor Steve was just a along for the ride.

February 13, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Netmonger

Couldnt agree more. Does he really think a *67* year old man can take the place of a 30 year old one? Is he going to be able to run around and climb up the sledding hill and hike in the woods and do all the active things a 10 year old child deserves? Of course not. Its just selfish. 67 years old and having a kid - gross!!

February 13, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • robrodriguez

Why do you gotta hate? How is this not better than some kid never being born, or some kid being born to a 16 year old crack head mom on welfare? This kid will do just fine, no matter how long pops sticks around.

February 13, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • loreeeeee

It's not really your choice is it? I am sure that this child will have rather been born then not.

February 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emmanuel Goldstein

Lady–Arn't you just ASSuming, as well?

February 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Methinks you're a bitter teacher.

February 13, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • adi27

The guy has enough money to ensure this child will receive excellent care, schooling, and the best of everything. He may be a 67 year old dad, but I am sure he will love his child with all this heart. A 30 year old parent could drop down dead of a heart attack tomorrow, so I fail to see how someone who can actually afford a child and has the luxury of retirement to spend time with it is being selfish. Selfish is having a child you can't afford and have no time for.

February 13, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

Better a few good years with a loving parent than a lifetime of misery and embarrassment with a younger one. Many young parents are not into their kids as they are too busy getting their careers going. Kids are in the way.....so ...what's best ? a loving parent that will leave him a legacy and money to boot. Can't beat that ! Lucky kid he is !

February 13, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • charmed

My father had me very late in his life..He was almost 60. And no, he didnt take me out to play ball or stuff like that..BUT what he did do was teach me politics and civic responsibilty, he taught me compassion and understanding for those less fortunate, he taught me how to play chess..saying that once you learn that you can learn to navigate life. Taught me how to hunt and fish.There is more than sport playing that dads can do with children. Being a good father and teaching them not just playing with them, actually being there for the child and loving that child...those are the things that matter most...not age!! For the record..my father lived till he was 97 years old and was active up until the last year. Youth does not mean long life ahead of you and age does not mean that you have just a short while to go to kick it.

February 13, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  61. T.rex

Congrats Mr. Martin!

February 13, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Big Al

This baby is going to be a "WILD AND CRAZY KID!"

February 13, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  63. BLUED IN 5

you know what too do....don't yap too everyone..yap too him!.....

February 13, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Andy

I'm guessing Steve will get a laugh out of the line above, "They worked hard to have the baby".

February 13, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Bill AND Ted

He is way awesome.

February 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Nate

Steve Martin is way cool. One of my favorite entertainers of all time. He is incredible on the banjo.

February 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Holly

Congrats to both of them. Cary Grant became a father for the first time at the age of 66, back in 1968, with then wife Dyan Cannon. He was a completely devoted father, and most said he was never happier. He said he really enjoyed having his career behind him, and having the time to spend with his daughter.

February 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian from DC

....but that's just it....he DIDN'T have time to give her! He died before she hit 20.

February 13, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |