Rihanna strips down for 'Stay' music video
February 12th, 2013

Rihanna strips down for 'Stay' music video

Rihanna seemed to lay bare her emotions during her performance of her new single, "Stay," at the Grammy Awards, and she takes it one step further in the new video for the song.

For the entirety of the clip, the 24-year-old singer appears to be fully nude in a bathtub, one filled with water just cloudy enough to keep this PG-13.

Why the creative team decided to have Rihanna strip down isn't clear, but it would be pretty easy to interpret the video as representing emotional nakedness and vulnerability.

"Stay" collaborator Mikky Ekko also makes an appearance, but not in the same scenes as Rihanna. Instead, the two provide a visual representation of the distance between the lovers at the heart of the song, which is from Rihanna's latest album, "Unapologetic."

Fans who loved the videos for dance-heavy hits like "We Found Love" and "Where Have You Been" might be disappointed by the utter lack of movement in this clip, but it fits the song's contemplative, heavy-hearted tone. HitFix gave it an A+, calling it a "highly appropriate marriage of form and content."

What do you think of the video?

Filed under: Celebrities • Rihanna

1. Dr E Lewis

SO WHAT! She strips down for EVERYTHING! I think people would be more shocked if she showed up with some clothes on one day.

February 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DKFX

Zzzzz...

February 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. shut up

i have to fix my bitter with my hunk o mania...

February 18, 2013 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. whoever that was

thank you - battery is on .

February 18, 2013 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. SKY

COVER THE BODY AND YOU WILL NOT BE A STAR.....GET NAKED GET THE FREAKS INVOLVED AND HEY
    YOU WILL BECOME A SUPER STAR....ONLY ONE PROBLEM....YOU NEED BODY GUARDS FOREVER BECAUSE
    YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE ......CRAZIES PEOPLE WANTING YOU.....AND YOU LOSE.....
    ONE DAY IS FREEDOM IS BETTER THAN A MILLION DAYS UNDER GUARD.

February 18, 2013 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • yea your right

i was just thinking your very same thought when i got up this morning.

February 18, 2013 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. N

Abuse is abuse whether it be physical mental or emotional and I am sure half of you have endured one or the other at some point and still you stayed so who are you to judge someone based on what you heard in the media ?! were you there ? so worry about your own pathetic lives

February 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JR

she looks like rufus from kim possible or more like my hairless gerbil i once had

February 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sft2c_mtsu_s13

Many people can view this video in many different ways. However, when I saw this video I saw someone who was just more than nude in the water, but someone who is hurting on the inside. Before I continue, some artists use their videos to really express how they are really feeling not as artists but as people. For example, Michael Jackson’s “Just Leave Me Alone or even Britney Spears “She So Lucky.” Most people forget that it’s not all about the visual alone, but more so what the artist is trying to say in that visual. They try to reach out in a way they feel most comfortable. So, going back to Rihanna, people see her nude in a bathtub and that is it. I see a young 24 year old woman who just lost her grandmother, and who is always judged on her personal life decisions. Clearly, this is more about some man who she wants to “Stay,” but someone who wants to be understood. A few friends of mine says she even looks suicidal because she is in a bathtub full of water, and her mouth gets closer to the water as the video progresses. I personally believe that, too, could be the case. And my opinion on the Chris Brown situation I say let her be. The world says everyone deserves a second chance, however, when that time comes the world is reluctant to give it. As farfetched as this might sound, maybe Chris is the only person who can understand her. Because like her he,too, is being scrutinized over mistakes. Instead of looking at her just being nude, I say look at the pain in her eyes, and the tears that she sheds. Because something is missing, and she wishes he, she, or it could just “Stay.”

February 14, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Good for Him

i can't wait until he finally meets the right woman

February 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 1iron

Haters will always hate! Loved the video

February 14, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Meh

Narcissus is not dead apparently

February 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SHE SHOULD SHUT THE FKING TV OFF IF SHE CAN'T TAKE IT

WHEN YOU SEE HIM BE NORMAL–FK THE BLOGGER.

February 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 3 rd time i've heard this song this week....

i feel like its all about chris–

February 13, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • pockets

this woman must be losing any talent she has, its indicative of taking clothes off all the time....it shows a lack of talent really....when is he going to start beating her again or is he already....it won't be long...its not going to last.

February 13, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • in an interview she said...

she loves being naked...truth

February 13, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • I love

I don't like a lot about her chices, but the are her choices. That asid....this song is amazing...beautiful. I love it!!!

February 14, 2013 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. Peggy Genebach

Beautiful song, and tugged at my heart.

February 13, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. she looks weird in the picture

i hope she and chris brown are alright.

February 13, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. GaPeach

When I saw this, I tought "how old is she?" She is aging like Lohan.

February 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. blued 7

we know his mistakes and nobody cares....talk to him, go to him–

February 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. prettypiper

She's an artist. She's not your best friend, sister or anything that you might think. Judging by the the twisted comments here, she's human. Last i checked she's going to make mistakes. If Chris is a mistake, she will learn; but as an artist, she's the hottest ticket. Absolutely love this vulnerable video. When was the last time any of you looked this good stripped down in the bathtub? Absolutely love the video!! The media sensationalizing this has gotten really old. But is it funny, they not only show her new video, but they want to criticize her personal choices. It's her life and she gets to live it. Her accomplishments as an Artist, she's achieved. Later Twitches.

February 13, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • angel

I 100% agree with every single word you write....these bloggers are acting as if she is their family member, this girl is honest she told Oprah she dont want to be a role model she admist she may be making a mistake taking Chris, but its her mistake. She still selling out concerts and her CD is still moving now more since the Grammy she is laughing all the way to the bank.

February 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. BLUED IN...

jealous......be friends...we're ok with it...

February 13, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Edimoo

You can really see the nasty scar Chris left on her lip in the video close ups. Looking at that everyday would keep me away from him.

February 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. ShesLookingLIkeACrackHead

She's been rode hard and put up wet. CB and others will tap it for short term pleasure, but she's heading to pasture at an early age.

February 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prettypiper

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, apparently this what you see in the MIRROR. Crack! Crack!!

February 13, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Madonna

roley poley

February 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Hello?

answer?

February 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Chris Brown

I'd hit it!

February 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • me me

This video was so beautiful it made me cry and then I read this comment and it made me laugh (I'm ashamed).

February 16, 2013 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  25. pictures, movies, postings, hatred

daily business moves along –

February 13, 2013 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  26. RiRi is a sad case.

i feel so sorry for her hatred-her hatred is towards life. public: don't ever be this way.

February 13, 2013 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  27. skuul girl

she works so hard –

February 13, 2013 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  28. Alvarez

There's a poop bobbing up and down in her tub...

February 12, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  29. James

She looks OK but she has absolutely no taste in men–ie Cris Brown–waiting for the next trip to the hospital after he punches her in the fae again.–

February 12, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rob

Reply to Tanya, he could be in Love with her, he's back with her and you need to stop hating, I'm sorry this might be something that happen to you and he never luv you.

February 12, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Rihanna

she likes chris brown...

February 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ChrisBrown

Damn! I get to punch that ho"

February 12, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Punkin

It"s just a confusing nude picture......in a bath tub of water. Really?! No one knows the meaning better yet guessing?! And trying to base opinions that"s not logic......?!

February 12, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Tanya

I think the saddest part to it all is that she loves him way more than he loves her. I've never seen one picture of him where he looks at her in love, but she always looks at him with such love.

February 12, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • V¡xen

Yeah, you're right. I have nothing against the girl. She needs to get away from him.

February 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • aishat

Do you know their personal life? You cant say that he doesnt love her when your not with them 365 days of the year. Your just an outsider looking in.

February 12, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris is the only one who knows if he loves her...

February 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • V¡xen

Oh, excuse us. A man loves me when he beats my f uc king skull in. Did you read your comment jackfu ck and see how stupid your comment sound. People like you make me sick.

February 12, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bella

@aishat – They were just making an observation! Take your meds!

February 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. V¡xen

She looks like a tired and battered woman. Leave that man before you find yourself six feet under.

February 12, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Cora

She isn't really n aked. She's taking a bath do it doesn't count. Everyone is supposed to not wear clothes when taking a bath.

February 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |