Beyoncé: I feel a lot more like a woman
February 12th, 2013

Beyoncé: I feel a lot more like a woman

Beyoncé's path to motherhood was rocky, but now that she's mom to one-year-old Blue Ivy, the entertainer says her life has opened up.

“I feel like I have something that has grounded me so much more,” Bey tells Vogue in its March issue, which features her on the cover. These days, she says, baby Blue has become her "road dog. She's my homey, my best friend."

And it sounds like they've had that bond since day one. The 31-year-old singer admits that she was fearful leading up to the delivery, but when that day finally came on January 7, 2012, she felt peaceful.

With her loved ones there with her, she was able to "really let go and really appreciate every contraction," during which she visualized Blue "pushing through a very heavy door."

"I had a very strong connection with my child," Beyoncé says. "I imagined this tiny infant doing all the work, so I couldn't think about my own pain. ... We were talking. I know it sounds crazy, but I felt a communication."

Vogue warns that 2013 is going to be the Year of Beyoncé, which has already kicked into gear with last month's inauguration and the Super Bowl Halftime show on February 3. Her documentary, "Life Is But A Dream," will debut this weekend on HBO, and her upcoming world tour, "The Mrs. Carter Show," is set to kick off in the spring.

She's signed on for a headlining gig at this year's Essence Festival and has an upcoming interview with Oprah Winfrey on OWN this Saturday, not to mention the new album she's working on.

The forthcoming songs will reveal a more "sensual ... empowering" side of Beyoncé, one she says she's fully embraced after giving birth.

“Right now ... I really understand the power of my body,” she tells Vogue. “I just feel my body means something completely different. I feel a lot more confident about it. Even being heavier, thinner, whatever. I feel a lot more like a woman. More feminine, more sensual. And no shame.”

Check out the behind-the-scenes video of Beyoncé's Vogue shoot below. The March issue will be available on February 19.

Filed under: Awards Season • Grammys

1. cicisbo

Who calls their child a "road dog?" Just because celebrities have money, doesn't mean they should procreate.

February 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wow

god he's still so cute–i have too control myself.

February 17, 2013 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Joel

What's is wrong with our society ? That women has no talent. The only time she can "sin" is from a tape.

February 18, 2013 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. carol

well, with all her money what do you expect ╬═╬

...
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬Are you listening to me? Don't go!
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬Hello...? I said don't go.
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬Stop it! Don't go down.
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬Okay. If you wanna be like that
    then go.
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬You are still headstrong and you
    aren't listening to me...
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬I can't talk to you anymore.
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬You listen to me! ...don't goo down
    there!
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬Can you please just listen to me ?
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬You're dumb if you go down there.
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬Ok I'm not going to tell you
    again...don't go.
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬....Seriously I SAID STOP!!
    ╬═╬Are you bored yet?
    ╬═╬
    ╬═╬Last chance ...don't go there..
    ╬═╬you will now have 5 years of bad
    luck unless you post this on 5 different
    photo'

February 17, 2013 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. You accessed my social security number and went into my 2012 tax returns

February 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mass Confusion Expert

doesn't she look like beyonce? just like her right?

February 14, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Overheard it and Bought It

Thanks.

February 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. stacey

I want to know do Mrs. Carter have any real hair you never see her real hair. and her daughter is her homie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow really i guess blue ivy will be a lohan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jersey Shore

she's on there...i would only do that for you know who for fun...lolol

she deserves it.

February 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CHASE ALL THE BOYS YOU WANT BABE...

you deserve it....

February 14, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. geeze

no the her is the other....not beyonce...

February 14, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Peace

She calls her 1 yr old her homey & best friend...ok?

February 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. beyonce is beautiful

what went wrong with her.. ha

February 14, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SHE SHOULD SHUT THE FKING TV OFF IF SHE CAN'T TAKE IT

WHEN YOU SEE HIM BE NORMAL...FK THE BLOGGER

February 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Meh

People starved to death today...anyone concerned about that?
    I would F the he11 out of her tho.

February 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Appreciate ?

Contractions appreciated ? LMAO ! 😁

February 14, 2013 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. dee

if you feel more like a woman,,,,quit talking like a immature thug.

February 14, 2013 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  17. what's everyone doing for valentine's day?

ha!

February 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Now hold on here.

have you ever seen us in action at peters bar and lounge?

February 13, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kica

All you haters are funny, do you REALLY think she cares about her few haters as opposed to her MILLIONS of fans. HA! get a life like she did, a loving husband a beautiful daughter. Be the star of your own life and stop trying to tear down hers. When you hate, the only blessings being blocked are YOURS.

February 13, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. love the dark hair beyonce.

awsome

February 13, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. You don't have to constantly remind bloggers what they

have said in the past ladies. its just blogging.

February 13, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. LOL

Anyone who saw B in that interview sitting down when she was supposedly pregnant and actually believes she was is 100% delusional. Never once did she walk with a waddle. Never once did she grab her back in support. She was NEVER pregnant.

Who cares if you used a surrogate, I'm sure your fans would still idolize you. I guess B wanted to be able to fawn about what a joy motherhood is, even though she didn't have the baby and she certainly isn't changing it's diapers.

February 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • deutsche001

I never waddled with either of my two children. My back did not hurt and I did not have morning sickness.
      Get over your jealousy; some women bounce back faster than others. It involves hard work and discipline.
      Somebody that is hateful, wastes that instead of being disciplined and good to themselves.
      Jealousy is an really ugly trait; not everyone can be beautiful and perfect and rich.

February 13, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kica

Oh please!!! Let you delusions go and get a life.

February 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  23. pitt04

Beyonce is BEAUTIFUL. Period.

February 13, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOL

well she had a nose job and does the fake blonde hair look all in an effort to look more "white." lol sounds like quite the black role model that she claims to be

February 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Funny

when my cousin was about too pop the babe before i left the room i kissed her forhead and she screamed i will never
    f-king have s-x again....truth...lololol....

February 13, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  25. SMA40

Appreciated every contraction? Are you insane? I wanted to mee my daughter too but I was happy when those contractions were over!! "Road dog"? Are you serious? What a beautiful term of endearment or an infant (not)!! Your music is mediocre but you are "just an entertainer". There are some true artists out there that are way more talented and are truly artists and not nearly as vain as you.

February 13, 2013 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  26. the SSB

was not fake–it was pre recorded.

February 13, 2013 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  27. The Truth

Yet another celeb who won't even raise their own baby, yet claim that it's such a joy to be a mom. Besides, that pregnancy was faker than her star spangled banner

February 13, 2013 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  28. Funny

guess the haten can bring her down.... for the most part usually beyonce is up!!!

February 13, 2013 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  29. NEESH

PEOPLE ALWAYS HATEN BUT LOOK U THE BEST I LOVE ALL YOUR SONGS BUT TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE UR HURT.I HOPE U DONT TAKE THAT THE WRONG WAY.ND I CAN REALLY SING JUST LIKE U JUST GIVE ME A TRY I COULD DO IT.STAY SAFE .ND STAY TRUE TO WAT U DO.CUASE U DOIN IT (2672348879)

February 13, 2013 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  30. Rainy

Beyonce is a great artist, t o each his own. Childbirth is an experience & is different for each woman. If she feels more complete from it. IT`S ALL GOOD

February 13, 2013 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

Agreed! Child birth is different for every woman, and just as many athletes embrace the struggle before their victories, so, too, do many women appreciate the labors of childbirth. I also enjoyed my child birth experience; sometimes the most rewarding things in life come after overcoming pain and obstacles. To some, giving birth can be an extremely empowering experience. More power to her!

February 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. empresstrudy

wow no one every pumped out a baby before.

February 13, 2013 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  32. WhoCares

A mother? Her kid will be raised by some ghetto nanny, not Beyonce. Also, why are he legs so fat? Why is Reggie Bush sneaking out of her apartment late at night?

February 13, 2013 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Ms. Tee

Hey Whocares: Her thighs are her flaws and she always did state that; she hate them; and they're even bigger since Blue: I honestly know she was pregnant due to the fat face pics and all..... ghetto nanny, nahhh her and Jay are almost billionaires... lol

February 13, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Timme62

Queen Bey rules the world??? Certainly not the one I live in, can you say over-exposed?

February 13, 2013 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  34. pk

She needs motherhood to feel "more of a woman"? Geez..........poor kid.

February 13, 2013 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  35. Mike

Go away and take your bad music with you. Enough uh oh's and single ladies for a lifetime. You cannot buy class.

February 13, 2013 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  36. Don't pay attention.

what a hater. i feel so bad for her...

February 13, 2013 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  37. WE HAVE THE POWER

YOU HAVE NOTHING....

February 13, 2013 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  38. BLues

Civil rights activist Harry Belafonte has been openly critical of Jay-Z and Beyoncé in their relatively safe political stances, saying that they "have turned their back on social responsibility" in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter.[139] A Syracuse University finance professor[140] is also of this view, pointing to Jay-Z's only giving $6,000 to charity after making $63 million in 2012. He also voiced that the hip-hop mogul likely would never have come out in support of gay marriage had President Obama not first taken the position.

February 13, 2013 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  39. Dizzyd

@Sash – why is it childish to say 'love yourself as you are and take care of yourself'? If that's 'childish', then I hate to see what you consider 'mature'.

February 13, 2013 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  40. stfu

Lol. I know

February 12, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Alvarez

I'd like to give her a steaming heart shaped poop for Valentines Day.

February 12, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. joyce

Luv ya Bey – lookin 4ward to your concert in Hotlanta!

February 12, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  43. BLues

"Appreciated each contraction. I feel a lot more like a woman"!

THIS IS TOTAL BS AND PR BUILDING. TRYING TO DISPELL THE FACT THAT SHE DID NOT GIVE BIRTH. FOR FATHERS DAY 2012 SHE BOUGHT JAYZ A $30,000,000 (THIRTY MILLION DOLLAR JET)!

IT'S ALL ABOUT IMAGE, $$$$$, MONEY, LIES, $$$$$, DUPPING THE PUBLIC TO MAINTAIN THEIR STATUS.

AND DID I SAY $$$$$ AND MONEY.

AT THE GRAMMYS THE BIG NEWS WAS JAYZ POURING CHAMPAGNE AND BOURBONE FOR JESSICA BIEL AND HOW GREAT IT IS TO PARTY WITH JAYZ. TIMBERLAKE AND BIEL BOUGHT IT, PLAYED THE GAME TO BE WITH THE IN CROWD.

THEY ARE EVEN SHOWING BEYONCE WITHOUT MAKEUP. JUST BEING A MOM. AND SHE WORE PANTS TO THE GRAMMYS. HOW COMPLIANT SHE WAS WITH THE MEMO!

I HOPE OTHERS SEE IT!!!!!

SICK!!!!!!

February 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • stfu

I know. So go on with it. Ok

February 12, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • deutsche001

I feel sad for you. Your life must be so miserable to hate a woman you don't know. She had the baby, she just has great genes and works hard to get back and stay in shape.
      She also has more of a life than you will ever have and more money you will ever see.
      You need to seek help.You need to realize all people can't be beautiful and rich; so just accept yourself the way you are.

February 13, 2013 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
    • 2 things beyonce

1. get over the jealousy.
      2. screwed up at 5pm–

now help you beyonce is fine.

February 13, 2013 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  44. Magic

Beyonce is hot! I would eat it up, straight beat it up!!

February 12, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  45. tina

jay z always interested me for some reason...

February 12, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Sadie

I like the part when she says, "she was really able to really let go and appreciate each contraction." How many ladies out there have given birth, and have really appreciated your contractions. Beyonce is just plain nuts. Yeah, that sounds all beautiful and all, but what a bunch of garbage. I wish her a happy life, but I'm just not a fan. Her music doesn't interest me, nor do I enjoy watching her performances. I'm more into classic rock.

February 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • stfu

I know. I habe a baby to. Lol

February 12, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • FiveLiters

I don't know,but I want to take the opportunity to thank you for leasing space in her uterus and giving us a play-by-play.

Geez,if the woman says that's what it felt like/was like to HER,then so be it-why does everyone think that giving birth is the same to every woman? I don't even know why her music enters into the conversation;the discussion was about her giving birth,which you seem to know an awful lot about. While you're at it,could you post a pic of her ovaries on Instagram,please? Thanks!

February 13, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  47. huh

leave who alone.

February 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  48. stop hating

The girl is Bad. Leave her alone.

February 12, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  49. wager

ain't nobotz dare

February 12, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Beth

you appreciated the contractions?! Ok hunny, just goes to show you didnt deliver that baby. Ive never in my obgyn career heard such humbug.

February 12, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ana

I had a natural labor and appreciated every contraction, as well; it meant that I was one step closer to meeting my daughter. It took a lot of focus and of course there was pain, but it was an amazing experience at the same time. I get what she means.

February 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  51. DevTheMan

If you are still using the word "colored" in 2013, do us all a favor and jump off a cliff. Seriously, who raised you in such a manner? If you don't like her just stay away from things that involve her. Some people sit and wait for her to do something just to try and bring her down. Guess what? You aren't. She is making hundreds of millions doing what she loves to do. What are you doing?

February 12, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Enjoy

i lost 20lbs and going for the next 20–i'm on my way too my goal...how much do you weigh?

February 12, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Sash

CNN, please delete this ignorance.

February 12, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Sash

you sound so childish!

February 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Dizzyd

Sorry, I mean you shouldn't feel ashamed about your body.

February 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Dizzyd

Women (and men) should NEVER about their bodies. Take good care of it,
    but forget trying to squeeze it into a mold. Go, Beyonce!

February 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  57. pia@yaho6.com

What? did she use to feel like a man?

February 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  58. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

I don't care for her music either. Give me hard rock, punk, or metal.

February 12, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  59. V¡xen

:) I'm the hard rock/ metal lady

February 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  60. hey

if its me i get it....more attention and less show girl...ok

February 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Taylor

is the best....

February 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Just Curious

beyonce i(photo above) s not living the dream..she's a musician, perfect husband and baby i would say she's has a great thing going. jayz adores her he can never say enough about her and how wonderful she is.

February 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

She should be happy for what she is paid. Personally she does nothing for me. Her singing is on the low. What irritates me more about her however is when she does interviews she has to say how hard she works until her feet bleed. I have heard this in several interviews. Usually other people say it, not the person themselves. I am sorry but there are people out there who bleed every day from their jobs like soldiers, and don't get paid what she does. There is no reason why she should not be happy. I also felt that her second rendition of the anthem to prove a point was very lacluster. She can sing but she is no Aretha Franklin. She is just another show girl.

February 12, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  63. just a yes or no...that's it

beyonce is so loving and beautiful and a real womaan to jayz

February 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Lewis

She is beautiful and she is living the dream.

February 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Boo

Big deal...more auto-tuned crap....

February 12, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  66. 1 hour is fine...

just a yes or no...that's it.

February 12, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  67. V¡xen

I have to say she is a beautiful woman. I have nothing bad to say about her.

February 12, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Run A Check On those High IQ's

beyonce is sooooo smart

February 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Fred

She was never pregnant and she wasnt singing at the super bowl, CNN why? Why do you lie? This woman was never eve pregnant, everyone knows they rented a hospital to deliver from the surrogate......why do you persist? And watch the Super Bowl tape, she was free styling over her tracks, she danced without the mic while her voice apparently comminuted from somewhere and she talked over her own background singing. The crazy on love was just the original track, no band, only the track, why do you lie and aid others in lying?

February 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Frank

I feel a lot more like a woman than who?

February 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  71. ChrisBrown

Ya, me Beyonce and the kid are doing lines of coke this weekend. Y'all stop in.

February 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Fantastic Photo

Beyonce looks so happy. Congrats.

February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Mora

you get credt for courage but you stink at everything else...punkin jodie

February 12, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |