'Wild Thing' singer Reg Presley dies
February 5th, 2013

'Wild Thing' singer Reg Presley dies

Singer Reg Presley of British band The Troggs has died, CNN has confirmed. He was 71.

Famous for the 1966 song "Wild Thing," Presley and The Troggs were also behind other hits like "With a Girl Like You," "I Can't Control Myself" and "Love Is All Around."

The BBC reports that Presley died at his home in the U.K. surrounded by his family. The singer had reportedly been diagnosed with lung cancer the year before.

"Reg was an amazing man," Presley's manager told CNN in a statement. "He worked all over the world with The Troggs ... Even Jimi Hendrix copied the man from Andover."

He went on to describe Presley as "a warrior of the '60s boom and not afraid to travel outside the London West End bubble to spread Troggmania."

As Rolling Stone notes, The Troggs were part of music's "British Invasion wave" that included the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and the Who.

"Wild Thing," which you can listen to below, is No. 261 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time. With singles like that one, Rolling Stone says, "the band helped to define garage rock in the '60s and inspired the architects of what would evolve into punk rock in the '70s, including Iggy Pop, the Buzzcocks and the Ramones."

1. Musiclv

You are welcome...I love your site.

April 7, 2013 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Capone

Am I the only one who was expecting this article to be about the death of Tone Loc?

February 7, 2013 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. loudmusic

You move(d) me. Thanks for one of the great rock tunes ever, Reg.

February 6, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Squiggy

I cried when he sang "I Dreamed a Dream on American Idol." So sad, another great Mongolian singer cut down in his prime. Damn bananas!

February 6, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Calvin

Always loved the way he sang Ave Maria. Even when he was with The Who, his version of "This Little Light of Mine" was a show stopper.

February 6, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mick

Song was used so well in the film "Major League" (1989) when Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn (Charlie Sheen) was called in from the bullpen.

February 6, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John Walker

R.I.P. Old friend. Here's remembering the old days back in Andover when we wuz young and playing in rival bands.

February 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lady D

RIP Reg, you'll live on forever through your music. I've loved your music for over 45 years and always will. RIP

February 5, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mm

Long live British rock!

February 5, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sadie

Some great music from the past. Pretty good when Jimi Hendrix copies them. Rip, Mr. Presley.
    To everyone who posted-you people are crazy today! I've been laughing my butt off. Thanks for the chuckles!

February 5, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cigarman

I think every garage band in the world played that song in the 60's. We sure did! Jimi Hendrix's version at Monterrey Festival was fantastic! Set his guitar on fire after! So cool! Brings back very good memories!!!

February 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dan

Great song, it was the first 45 I ever bought when I was 10 years old

February 5, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Name*Silverblue

The troggs a legendary 60s group that help define a historic time of music. Rip Reg you made my teen age years a very wild thing.

February 5, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ray1950

I was never a big fan of The Troggs but I don't think the death of Reg Presley should be the subject of ridiculous (and patently unfunny) comments.

February 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. davecu

Wild Thing
    You still move me!

Thanks for the music! RIP

February 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. HenryB

Remember fondly sitting in my family's living room in Holland playing Wild Thing over and over again. I occasionally go to Youtube to listen to it again. The Troggs with their white clothes and black stripes were "it".

February 5, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jay Tigerwood

Very tragic I like that song a lot, it was on a couple of good movies. He will be missed.

February 5, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mhs71

All you trolls: STFU!!! RIP Reg

February 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. SightSeer

Coincidentally, he was Elvis Presley's stand-in in Viva Las Vegas and It Happened at the World's Fair. RIP!

February 5, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. bucky

He also acted I'm the movie wild things

February 5, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Oscar Pitchfork

I can't believe of all the crap that's been going on this past week, this actually makes me feel old! Ride on, ye olde British Invasion...

February 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. geez 1

that's you tonight.

February 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. thinks me iz brain ded

a. why do you care about a computer memory if it does not pertain too you.
    b. never said the monkees did it and again why do you care
    c i like ice cream

February 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Calvin

The article failed to mention that Elton John started out as a flute player for the Troggs. Until the band got tired of having their flutes played.....

February 5, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. SFRich

"Wild thing, I think I love you..." RIP Reg.

February 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bill

He was the "Quiet Beatle".

February 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sean

Gosh, I'm sixteen again when I read about Reg Presley..what wonderful memories of those times...hate to see our older, great rockers pass on...

February 5, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thinks2010

Wild Thing by the Troggs is just one of those songs that send you right back. R.I.P Reg. Thanks for the memories.

February 5, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jenn

Cheer up sleeeepy Jean
    Oh what can it mean
    To a daaay dream believer
    And a homecoming queen . . .

Simply a great song. The Trogs ruled the sixties.

February 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Altair

The Monkeys did Daydream Believer.....geez....

February 5, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Princess Zelda

"And then I saw her face
      Now I'm a believer" – Reg Presley

I also loved Blue Christmas.

"it's gonna be a blue, blue Christmas this year" – Reg Presley

February 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Calvin

Maybe my memory is bad, but wasn't that The Monkees?

February 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

@Jenn, Cheer up Sleepy Jean, aka Daydream Believer, was written by John Stewart, formerly of the Kingston Trio.

February 5, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Calvin

John Stewart rocked when he played drums for the Ramones. Reg was their ball boy.

February 6, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Prettyedna

You are all wrong . He was with the Archie's and sang lead on "sugar,sugar". Then he played with Vanilla Fudge before he joined Joplin's band. He did a cover of Debby's Boones "you light up my life" in 1995 and won a Grammy . Then he toured with Chaka Kahn.

February 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midnight Toker

Wasn't he the lead singer of Black Sabbath at one time? I could've of sworn he sang Stairway to Heaven live in concert once.

February 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • geezer

Yes we played in the band deep purple. We sang songs like purple rain and the dude looks like a lady. Stuff like that

February 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jesse Pinkman

Reg Presley helped to shape rock and roll. He will be missed but never forgotten. He lives on through his music!
    Rest in Peace Reg.. we love you!

February 5, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  31. This guy

When they fell out of popularity, their lyrics stuck in my head for 30 years. Stuff like- "What's your name? Who's your
    Daddy? Is he r-i-i-chhh like me-e-e-? ( from Time of the Season) I started thinking about class division when I was 15 years old. Great band. And, did this guy popularize the whole wiggle neck move that's so ubiquitous today? Hey,
    give the White boy some credit.

February 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

My fav song of theirs was Day Dream Believer. We played it over and over.

February 5, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Altair

The Zombies did Time of the Season.....

February 5, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • This guy

The Zombies did "Time of the Season!" I stand and sit and grovel Corrected!
      Old age and memory is a beech.

February 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Marsha

@CNN – the group was called The Froggs. You are spelling it wrong.

February 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  33. slade

The Froggs were never the same once Davey Jones left. Reg was tallented but couldn't carry the group all by himself.

February 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Altair

Davy Jones was with the Monkeys....geez #3

February 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

OMG..you and the others must be kidding or you and others..are trolls...He never sang day dream believer that was Davy Jones with the Monkees. And it was the Troggs not frogs...geezzzz is right...I know too because I was there also...

February 5, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • timr

the late davey jones was an actor hired to play a lead singer in a fake tv comedy band called the Monkees based on the Beatles fame and the show was a popular american tv series. as for The Troggs (not Froggs), were a real british band in the early 60's with Wild Thing as one of the popular tunes that was copied by many others including Jimi Hendrix. Daydream Believer was a song written by an american songwrtter for the Monkees tv show and Reg was never a Beatle. The Beatles started in 62 not 67. you folks do your research on google before you post dumb comments

February 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bryan

Geez – either all the players in this string are trolls, or are just plain STUPID!!!

February 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*penguin

They're neither trolls nor stupid. They merely lived in the '60s and have foggy memories because of the drugs and alcohol in college. Heck I remember the song, but when it first came out I thought it was "wow" thing, I think I love you

February 6, 2013 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  34. told you so nothing

Not directed to John Mayer...

February 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. sirwalter1967

Are you guys seriously brain damaged or what> Is he one of the Beatles?? Are you serious? And what does Nicki Minaj have to do with this? I think the majority of people who go to CNN are the most uneducated and retarded idiots on the planet! Ever heard of Google or Wikipedia. Or do you really enjoy showcasing your ignorance and stupidity?

February 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. sirwalter1967

It's amazing to read such idiotic comments! How clueless are some of you or are you all proud of showcasing how dumb you really are?? He was NOT in the Beatles, among other things! Do a google search before you start posting such retarded things

February 5, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. ToldUSo 2

nothing....

February 5, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ToldUSo

What a loss. I remember seeing them at the Woodstock, just before the rains came. Tore it up!

February 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Iexplore

214,342 kb's for dinner?

February 5, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Princess Zelda

"Hey, hey, were the Monkees" – Reg Presley

RIP Reg Presley.

February 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Music Producer

When The Troggs broke up in 1967 several of the performers went on to form The Beatles. They were really big all through the late 1960's.

February 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hof

Really? Wow. That's fascinating, especially considering how the Beatles were touring in the U.S. in 1964.

February 5, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bryan

You couldn't be more WRONG! Get your facts straight – the Troggs members had absolutely NOTHING to do with the Beatles!!!

February 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Taylor

Wasn't he one of the Beatles? I really think he was part of their group before Paul McCartney joined.

February 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Hi humbie!!!!!!!!

mom's doing coffee and cake with you guys on sunday kay?

February 5, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Cartman

Hippys and Juuuuus killed Jesus.

February 5, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Cartman

Dang Hippys.

February 5, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  46. humberto

confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” - even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

"In the Department’s view, a lethal operation conducted against a U.S. citizen whose conduct poses an imminent threat of violent attack against the United States would be a legitimate act of national self-defense that would not violate the assassination ban. Similarly, the use of lethal force, consistent with the laws of war, against an individual who is a legitimate military target would be lawful and would not violate the assassination ban.”

February 5, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dave

Most people don't realise he also co-wrote "Achy Breaku Heart" with Billy Ray Cyrus and many of today's top hits.

February 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  48. its called cosmetic

what's wrong with looking like peter brady?

February 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  49. who is this person?

?

February 5, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  50. ToothFairy

Interesting enough, he dies from lung cancer while taking a picture with smokes in the window...

February 5, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

looks like film to me for a camera but you could be right

i have had 5 friends die of lung cancer and never once touched a cig

February 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  51. i have to confeSS

i can't see jodie becauSe i love nikki minaj–

February 5, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Hippie

ask Alice. She'll know what a trog is. Especially after she talked to the caterpillar.

February 5, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  53. vinyl4ever

Wild Thing was actually recorded as the B side and they wrote it very quicky in the studio.

February 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  54. i'm in love with jodie foSter

we are marrying Soon.

February 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Dan

It's a damn shame you don't credit where it is really deserved, to the talented guy that wrote the song, Chip Taylor!! He wrote many excellent tunes and still performs today on the Alt Country circuit. As usual, CNN does not do GOOD RESEARCH or even half ass reporting!

February 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • mw

Good call, Dan. Was wondering if that would get put in there. Chip was a friend of my uncle's and is actor Jon Voight's brother actually.

February 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • sethwh

Yes, I believe he is the more talented of the Voight brothers. Shame he didn't get a nod in this article. I really like Chip and Carrie. Good tunes.

February 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Thank you Dan. CNN often doesn't give credit where credit is due. "Wild thing I think I love you". RIP-Reg

February 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  56. BLOWBA

As a 12 year old just learning the guitar, this was an easy song to learn and play when it came out. My favorite from these guys was "Love Is All Around". Rest in peace Reg!!

February 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  57. do you want me to tell everyone

your jodie foster's new lover...no? ... then stfu...once and for all...nobody is broke...Puzzled? too bad
    i control that.

February 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jethro

One time me and Granny were fishing in the cement pond and I catched a troglodyte.

February 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  59. JGN

Love Is All Around by the Troggs was the first LP I ever bought; played it endlessly on the little record player bought with blue chip stamps, interspersed with the fantastic 45 'The Martian Hop'. It doesn't matter that other music came along later which I thought was better and may have been. You always remember your first love!

February 5, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Madison

My gramma aid back in the sixties that hippies roamed the earth playing drums and causing trouble.

February 5, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  61. vidal808

RIP amigo, still one of my all time favorite songs.......

February 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  62. well if you want too know for sure

slide your ass over and start talking!!!

February 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Mark Pet

"trog" means cave dweller. Be sure to check out the version by Sister Carol East. Also the 1967 parody in which a voice imitates Senator Robert Kennedy doing the song.

February 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Daniel

Wild thing... I think I love you. But I wanna know for sure!

February 5, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  65. kelly in los angeles

i love that song-wild thing. rest in peace

February 5, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Madison

I'm glad I wasn't born then. My grandma said they had to walk to school and there wasn't such thing as air conditioning. And if you was hungry you had to go pick an apple of catch a fish in the river.

February 5, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  67. oh and get this busta!

4 guys came in this morning and asked me to sit with them for breakfast...truth...YOUNG....
    you better park it soon...cuz i could have a date already! from the bafe lounge.....

February 5, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Madison

No way. Music wasn't even invented then. 1966? That's when people rode in wagons and milked cows.

February 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barney

They were still riding dinosaurs back then. Just look at the Flintstones, that was in the 60s.

February 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  69. longtooth

The band name was a shortened version of "troglodyte". I played that 45 a million times on my sister's record player.

February 5, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  70. BieberBabe

RIP poor Bieber wannabe.

February 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  71. BieberBabe

Just another cheap Justin imitator.

February 5, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • astonished

Please say you are smart enough to be kidding, or that you're 11 years old.

February 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Mary

One of my fav iconic songs from the era. Still play it to this day. Impact song. RIP

February 5, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

what is a trog ? is it a kind of animal ? i bet they meant to spell frog but were on drugs. hippies in the olden days took drugs sometimes.

February 5, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  73. are you handy with computers timmie?

hello.

February 5, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Tim99

I bet he doesn't have to jog in PE. He's a rich singer guy. I'm gonna be one of those when I grow up. That or a forest ranger.

February 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Tim99

What is a trog? My teacher said there is no such thing as a trog.

February 5, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |