'The Bachelor': This is roughing it?
February 5th, 2013

'The Bachelor': This is roughing it?

Monday night was the start of a two-night "special event" on "The Bachelor." (Since the episode didn't open with Sean working out, I did consider that "special" to a degree.)

Instead of a sweat session with Sean, we began with Chris and the 11 remaining women, who were told that they were in for three dates. There was a one-on-one, a group outing and the dreaded two-on-one, where at least one contestant was going to be eliminated.

But it was apparently time to fumigate the manor for this summer's "Bachelorette" - and possibly a fourth "Bachelor Pad" - so Chris told the women to pack their bags for an "around the world adventure." And since Sean likes the outdoors, they were headed to meet him in Montana. (Cue the Dan Seals/Marie Osmond duet.)

Sean warned the women they were going to be "roughing it" while there, which I hoped would involve lawn mowing, log splitting and anything that would make Ted Nugent proud. Meanwhile, the women were looking at their maps, hoping to actually find this "Montana" they've heard so much about.

Lindsay the substitute teacher went on the one-on-one date, which began with two "Bachelor" traditions: a helicopter and wearing plaid.  If someone would've said "awesome," we could have reached the holy trinity of show fandom.

The two arrived at Glacier National Park, where they had a picnic before relocating to what appeared to be a lodge to sip win by the fire. Since when does that count as "roughing it"?  Somewhere, Teddy Roosevelt is spinning in his grave.

After all was said and done, Lindsay got the rose, a kiss and a post-smooch concert.

On the group date, eight women were picked to compete in a "roughing it" challenge for the chance to continue romancing Sean. The ladies were split into two teams of four - the "red plaid" and the "blue plaid" - and had to complete a series of "roughing it" activities to win more "Sean time."

Among the activities: paddling a canoe, sawing wood, carrying bales of hay and milking goats, complete with team members drinking the raw goat milk. After about 10 hours of competition, the "red plaid" team came out on top.

But wait, Sean wanted to change the rules! (Even though the show doesn't appear to actually have any rules.) He decided to invite the "blue plaid" team to the post-date soiree, much to the chagrin of the "red plaid" squad, who pledged to defend their turf. Welcome to Chris Harrison's "West Side Story."

Meanwhile, Tierra, who's already been confirmed as this season's villain, was bummed at the Montana vacation manor. She and Jackie were scheduled to be on the two-on-one date, and Tierra was not happy about it. (This, despite the fact that she seemed quite excited about competing on the two-on-one earlier in the show.)

Split personality aside, Tierra knew there was only one way to resolve her crisis - go to wherever the soiree was happening and surprise Sean! She did just that, giving Sean the classic "show 101" of complaining about her status and saying that she's a contender, etc.  Sean gave Tierra a kiss and sent her on her way.

Back at the soiree, Daniella the commercial casting associate was whining about how cutthroat "The Bachelor" is. Sean rewarded her with a rose, and I got some aspirin for the pounding headache I developed.

The group date featured Tierra and Jackie riding horses, eating and chatting with Sean. Before the group date started, my wife asked for my prediction on who would be eliminated. I responded that since Tierra is this season's lead villain, while Jackie is a contestant whose mere existence I'd forgotten about until the group date, my bets were on Jackie. And I was right.

Speaking of Tierra, it's now time to get on my high horse and make a complaint about the show. Throughout Monday's episode, we were teased with upcoming scenes that appeared to show one contestant dealing with a "major medical scare." The contestant in question wasn't revealed for several teasers (you'd only see, for instance, the back of her head).

Then, at the end of the episode, the show opted to air "scenes from future episodes," which included the reveal of who the woman with the medical scare was. It was Tierra, and she apparently falls victim to hypothermia (but recovers and quickly resorts back to her "cartoon villain" ways).

Note to "The Bachelor": If I weren't blogging about this series, I wouldn't bother watching tonight's episode after such a spoiler was revealed. You want people to view the new installment under the premise that one contestant is in danger, but who? Yet you completely ruin the element of surprise by trying to "out-spoil" noted show blogger "Reality Steve" Carbone (who spoiled the surprise back in mid-December). Why "The Bachelor" continues to engage in this behavior is beyond me.

Speaking of odd behavior, Tierra and a few of the other women got into it at the cocktail party, ticking off Sean and making him wonder if his wife was among the remaining contestants. When all was said and done, Sean dismissed Robyn, a Texas native and lead aggressor in the anti-Tierra battle.

Tonight, more hijinks and hypothermia to keep you busy for two hours. But first, tell us what you thought of Monday's "Bachelor" - were you as annoyed by those teasers as I was?

1. Momentarily Confident...

guys ready in 1 hour!

February 8, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. popular

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my website so i came to return the prefer?.I am attempting to find things to improve my site!I guess its good enough to make use of a few of your ideas!!

February 8, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

This dude is amazing! He's not looking for a wife ... or even a woman. What he's doing is conducting tryouts for the Navy Seals. The only kind of female who could be expected to excel at the challenges he gives them is the kind that never shaves!

February 8, 2013 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. who said wife?

maybe they just want too fk

February 7, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mrskool

Tierra of the scary eyebrow is probably being paid to be this shows villian.... nobody could actually be that much of a witch ! And Sean has got to be acting to even consider her as a potential wife because she is no way his type if he's really looking for someone to raise a happy family with. I wonder what her next "accident" will be ... My favorite is Catherine. She is always happy no matter how horrible the weather or the date or the drama. I wasnt surprised to see him let go of Selma and Daniella but i was sad for Sarah.

February 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • catherine is the computer expert right?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

February 7, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jonathan

Watched with the gf the other night. It's actually kind of funny to watch how the claws come out in these girls.

Tierra is an embarrassment for those of us who love in Colorado

FOR THE RECORD, she is not a native to Colorado–she's from Nevada and moved to Colorado (which given our 320 days of sunshine year, a lot of people do). Sadly, a lot of these "imports" act the same. They were idiots in the state they came from and are still idiots, but living here.

February 7, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. EnigmaI09

I just got paid $6784 working on my laptop using these simple steps leaked on this web page. Make up to $85 per hour doing simple tasks that are so easy to do that you won't forgive yourself if you don't check it out! Weekly payments! Here is what I've been doing Rich45.ℂOM

February 6, 2013 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. FIRST CLASS VENDING

These producers are crazy, they are taking these womens lives in their hands, not seans...he is a baby, the insurance salesman, likes to take risks for someone in that profession. This season is pushing it, don't really like him anymore, he is too much like a Ken doll.

February 5, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Terry

Wow. I was really pulling for Tierra in the beginning but, she has turned me off. I wish Sean would see it. I now want Leslie to win. Have been pulling for her since their Guiness Book of Records Kiss. She seems really smart, pretty, mature and well rounded. I havent seen her in too many of the previews so Im nervous. Unfortunately, it seems that Tierra may be around for awhile. I like Selma but, not sure how her family will be with Sean. Leslie and Des are my top two choices right now.

February 5, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. DLF

I guess time will tell, if Sean mans up and kicks this little tantrum to the curb. If she were my daughter, I would have to seriously examine my child rearing skills as a mom and wonder "where did I go wrong"? She is manipulative, thoughtless, aggressive and I guess just plain old MEAN (her spirit is very dark and scary). Tierra, if you are reading this, I hope someday you can reflect back on how seriously misguided you are/were in dealing with people and that you don't have to behave like an out of control 2 year old to get what you want. Grow up girl, grow and set and be nice to people, it might just change your life.

February 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • YME

Tierra is a poor excuse for a woman-child....She isn't even attractive....My personal opinion is that when he was down to the last three women for the Rose tonight , I don't think he wanted to pick Tierra, but the show producers demanded she stay....to keep the drama going.....The more I see the more I think this guy is a loser....if he can't figure out Tierra then he has no clues about women...

February 5, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RTSD

It does seem kind of stupid that just last season the guy fell for the "exact" same type of drama queen, or maybe he just didn't watch last season's Bachelor. Doesn't the fact that "Dirt" is always interrupting him tell him anything and seriously NOBODY wants to be with someone that doesn't get along with others guy or girl. If the network really wanted drama they should have let him take the rose back but then what would people tune in for next week.

February 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tisha

Could Tierra be an actress who's role it is to stir up the house so that Sean could see how the women react to stress? How can anyone say the things she says and act so rudely before the camera and still be on the show? Notice, too, how Sean seems to know that Tierra is behind him before her hands even touch his head. He stops talking, as if he's anticipating this scene. Tierra is really beyond belief!

February 5, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. H.t

Got to love the whole re-hab story well Tierra if you were with a guy for 5 years who had a chemical dependancy problem chances are you had one also. She needs so serious therapy before she can even have a relationship with anyone let along a pet. God help the guy who has her for a wife.

February 5, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lady luck

Yes, a lot of us thought that Sean was smarter than this...He is truly a sweet guy, but probably too good for his OWN good, as he doesn't seem to be able to conceive of someone actually having Tierra's qualities. It'll be an incredible catharsis once she's booted off the show...(When, not IF. If Sean doesn't do it soon the show may lose some viewers). With at least 4 or 5 pretty, intelligent, and classy women in the group [Sean should have time to sort things out...I believe that he fears confrontation and also has something of a "rescuer" syndrome. Hopefully he chooses one of the saner women and the show actually has some kind of a happy ending!!...(despite its history of failed romances I still wish him the best:)

February 5, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. shmcg22

February 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Manipulation?

no way analyzed the show in recent months...he is very very smart.

February 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jk

First of all, this will be the last time I watch this show, it is bad enough that Sean looks like a complete idoit, I think it is making me stupid. He whines that he asked girls what is going on and they don't give him any examples but in truth the girls who do tell him get sent home, I don't believe for one minute he is as dumb as he is letting on, oh and Tierra, won't you be proud when you look back at the fool you made of yourself. My only hope is that this girl gets no press when she is finally sent home, and she will be because that is all she wanted to start with. I'm sure her family is just so proud. Really, these are suppose to be adults, I know 3 year olds that act better.

February 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rose

I cannot believe that a man who seemed fairly intelligent to me at the outset cannot see behind the "Tierra Mask" – he is falling for a manipulative schemer – open those big eyes.

February 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. KB

There is an agreement with ABC that they (ABC) get so many picks and the bachelor gets so many. ABC picked DirtWoman to stay. He has to go along with the agreement.

February 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Hello?

lose of mem in 1 1/2 momths-weird.

February 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. EC

Sean, I really thought you were really a nice guy. Well, your little DIRT lady made her d-- threats last night ...if she wanted to be engaged ..... they're a lot of F- – – king men out there. So, where did the nice guy Sean go????? My question to you is why are you not believing the other beautiful LADIES ??? Stop blaming them for you becoming the A_ _ of a man. Oh! maybe you like cry babies and a big Liar.

February 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jodie's lady

fix my internet or you will be considered gay by tomorrow morning...

February 5, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. isis

Tierrais a ho!

February 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dirt

why didn't u make the cakes today?

February 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. van

apparently Sean is dumber than a sack of rocks–he dumps girls for being Drama Queens and saying bad things about "Dirt" –then he whines about the girls not telling him why they dislike "Dirt." Every time he kisses a girl he tells them how comfortable he is talking to them–why doesn't he ask someone like Katherine what is going on in the house? I'm not sure that people like Vienna or Courtney or Tierra got a lot of benefits career wise when they chose to play the role of "Mean Girl" on the Bachelor. Just like everyone remembers Molly as being the girl who was so easy that she slept in the Tent with Jason during the second week and bragged about it to all the other girls in the mansion. Used t be that Fleiss enjoyed making one family look crazy on the home visits–now it appears that he likes to make one of the Bachelorettes look crazy or manipulative and incorrigible..

February 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. live

the only way to watch a good show...live...yep

February 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  27. I know righ!!!!!!!!!

i was just thinking the same thing-hahahahaha

February 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Debra

When that CRAZY b$%#h Tierra (which by the way means DIRT in spanish) is eliminated, I would consider watching the show again.

February 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Chrissytine

I can't believe there's no mention of the fact that Tierra is wearing one of the BLUE TEAM PLAID SHIRTS when she goes to surprise Sean!! That was just incredible!

February 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

I know. Im surprised nothing was said also. And she said Jackie had no idea about meeting Sean. Did she tell Jackie, Im just going outside for a while? Jackie didnt see her change or leave in a car.

February 5, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  30. MommyEmail

she can't be fooled ever...........

February 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. only joking geeze

i lud the man...will talk more kay?

February 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. happygolucky

She's on another one dear...don't even bother...hahahaha

February 5, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. carole

I am sick of these plots. The show should show him the clips. He is so dumb he asks Tierra? Stupid she is walking all over you. He should have asked the girls. What a stupid man. I had such respect for him up to that point. I hope he gets smarter than he is showing now.

February 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • hey carole

supp?

February 5, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eva

seriously!!!!!!!!!. How dumb can you be? Sean!!! asking Tierra???.Manipulator,narcissitic ,is what Tierra is.Honesty is not in her dictionary,i get she is very pretty,but so is Sean desperation can drown you alive,the thing here is all the other pretty girls know of Tierra's behavior but say nothing wich in some part I understand but damn ,Tierra will dig her own hole and lay in it.its a matter of time,true colors will come out once that rain stops and sun comes out,

February 5, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mommy E-mail

silly girl

February 5, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Eva

Mondays episode was as I predicted kind of boring Tierra wich means (dirt) in spanish)was finding ways to get attention, victim is her role manipulation is her game.I knew Robin would be eliminated ,Go Texans!!.Todays episode would be more manipulation ,drama,over dramatic Ms Tierra (Dirt), but I must admit she is so very very attractive,she reminds me of young Britney Spears,but yeah she is pretty.I love Ashley and D i call her D because I forget her name but she dos remind me of Katie holmes.So more Tierra tonight sometimes everything looks fake and staged but i guess is people like Tierra that leave that thought.

February 5, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  35. BeefCakeFan

when someone buys it alll....i go babe...lololol

February 5, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  36. KJ

This is turning in to another Jake/Vienna. Are these bachelors really so dumb or how much of this is a set up? I thought Sean was smarter than this.

February 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Top Girl

no 2 on 1....you messed up on that one too...fake call...hahahahaha

February 5, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. soooo

just say dirt next time.

February 5, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Kat

They had already shown that it was Tierra on several "upcoming" scenes, so there was really no surprise: (1) who was going home on the 2-on-1 date, and (2) who was the one who was "injured". Nothing new here. :-/

February 5, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JP

Tierra means dirt in Spanol! just sayin'

February 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |