Alicia Keys gets Super Bowl off to fiery start
February 3rd, 2013

Alicia Keys gets Super Bowl off to fiery start

Alicia Keys pulled no punches with a performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner" ahead of the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Keys took her time belting out the lyrics to the national anthem as she played her own accompaniment, but her performance was nearly flawless and generally well-received. Many joked that the 33-year-old singer was a "Girl on Fire" seated at a piano in the middle of the field.

Viewers took to Twitter to point out that Keys has won 14 Grammys, putting her in league with musical greats. She joins a list of heralded prior performers like Whitney Houston, Kelly Clarkson, Faith Hill and Mariah Carey.

Prior to Keys' set, Jennifer Hudson sang along with students from Sandy Hook Elementary in a performance of "America, the Beautiful."

It should be noted that Hudson tackled singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl. back in 2009.

Kate Upton was among those moved by the two singers' renditions, posting on Twitter:

What did you think of the performances?

Filed under: Alicia Keys • Celebrities • Music

« Previous entry
  1. see you/me later!!!

bruce never ever hides from alicia...its all fun stuff....business is business...fun is fun....the boss's personal life is his business.

March 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. just another poop in face...

go alicia

March 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rock

Nice O face girl!

February 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. EnigmaI09

I just got paid $6784 working on my laptop using these simple steps leaked on this web page. Make up to $85 per hour doing simple tasks that are so easy to do that you won't forgive yourself if you don't check it out! Weekly payments! Here is what I've been doing Rich45.ℂOM

February 6, 2013 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Football Fan

I think Ms. Keys is and was classy as she sung. She sings with dignity. It wasn't a powerful rendition, but I know what she is capable of. Perhaps she played it conservatively. She has a set of pipes, though. Just listen when she sings "Empire State..." or "This Girl is on Fire..."

February 5, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The acting was not that great last night...

the giggles were not the subject matter....the giggles were for her and how stoopid that woman truly is....

February 5, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bought It

did she buy all the giggles phone calls....yes she did...

February 5, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. we all comment pumpkin

there is a whole other world that watches

February 5, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. run it into the ground

who gives a f-ck

February 5, 2013 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Email for Socialites!

If you have an opinion on this rendition of this song, and you are a socialite, Gen. Allen would like to exchange 30,000 emails with you.

February 5, 2013 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. joshua shneider

Alicia Keys and Jennifer Hudson have poor vocal technique. This IS why Keys sang the anthem so slow (so she could take a breath in between almost every word, including the last one, which is for the most part a no-no in vocal teaching). They both felt the need to embellish tastelessly to cover up their vocal faults (they know that the general public is ignorant about the voice). Jennifer Hudson, after the introduction by the Sandy Hook Choir, entered the song for al least two measures singing sharp (the opposite of singing flat which is too low, 'sharp' is too high ... just listen). One or both singers may already be developing vocal problems (nodules, polyps or vocal chord edema/swelling). They know this and much of their 'artistic' performance is to cover this up. Singing falsetto during the crescendo notes reveals a lack of coordination of the basic 3 or 4 vocal registers. They are basically 'cover up' artists and must make their millions quickly before their voices deteriorate either through bad technique, drugs (in the case of Whitney Houston who also had an underdeveloped falsetto), or emotional problems, all of which effect the voice. If you want to hear great voices, listen to Richard Tucker, Lucianno Pavorotti, or Ben Hepner. Tony Bennett is also an example of a singer who uses the voice well. This also includes Michael Buble. Mariah Carey and Taylor Dane are examples of those who have learned well, and also learned from their mistakes. As for Alicia Keys and Jennifer Hudson they need to relearn how to sing because they just do not sing well.

February 5, 2013 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeans

Schneider: If Alicia Keyes and Jennifer Hudson are such lackluster singers, why has Alicia won over 14 Grammys and Hudson both a Grammy and Academy Award? They are also on the topo of the B illboard charts. When is the last time you had Tony BennettTaylor Dayne Richard Tucker, Lucianno Pavorotti, or Ben Hepner at the top of the charts???? Buble is the only one worth mentioning.

February 5, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisa B.

Obviously, you've never been to a black church! They are singing on feeling and connecting (Mariah has often been criticized for her inability to do this, because she focuses on "getting it right."). These women performed live in cold weather and sounded great. I'm sure they have/had some form of vocal coaching. Besides, rawness is a big draw to the public, nowadays. So maybe after you win grammies and an oscar, you can tell all those $$$MM music companies and their investors that they're employees are not being "trained" appropriately to perform their jobs.

March 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gonna go fishing?

yes its quite sad.

February 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. to my observers all watching----

i rest my case.

February 4, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. no matta what u zay?

iz still hocked in.

February 4, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DON'T CALL HER NIIKKI THE MONSTER EITHER....

YOU CAN MAKE A POSTER THE SIZE OF 55 STORY BUILDING– IT WILL NEVER STOP THE GOOD...
    NEVER NEVER STOP THE GOOD OF THE PERSON.....

February 4, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. alicia can't do anything right

daz why she a mental mezz.....your good sugar...

February 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. freedom

The National Anthem is to be sung standing. If she couldn't sing it without sitting at the piano, then someone else should have sung it. This is not a nightclub song.

February 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Minaj a trois

She did her own accompaniment, fool...I doubt you stood at home. Yeah, good luck getting the disabled out of their wheelchairs. Grow the hell upm

February 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • albert

Well, Christmas and Easter are pagan. Crosses, and sign of the fish are idols. According to the Bible, these things shouldn't be practiced or worshiped by those claiming to be Christian. So what's your point?

February 4, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane Hocker

going fishing?

February 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Reve Up Set Up -- Hward punishment

Good times and bum times, I've seen them all and, my dear,
    I'm still here!
    Gold statue sometimes,
    Sometimes a kick-in-the-rear, but I'm here
    Now one day you're hailed for blazing trails
    Next you're nailed for fingernails
    Either they cheer or they jeer, but I'm here
    I've heard them say song writing, acting, producing,
    What makes her think that she can? Or better yet song writing, acting, producing
    What does she think, she's a man?
    One day a Tony, Tuesday you're top of the Bill
    So I'm here!
    Wednesday you're phony, Thursday you're over the hill
    But I'm here!
    Now I've kept my clothes and kept me space
    I've kept my nose to spite my face
    Still once you say you won't
    Keep your place loud and clear
    Once you announce you're directing all you hear is...
    Everybody says don't, everybody says don't
    Everybody says don't, it isn't right!
    Don't, it isn't nice!
    Everybody says don't, everybody says...
    Don't tell me not to live, just sit and putter,
    Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter,
    Don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade.
    Don't tell me not to fly, I've simply got to, If someone takes a spill,
    it's me and not you,
    Who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade
    I'll march my band out, I'll beat my drum,
    And if I'm fanned out, your turn at bat, sir,
    At least I didn't fake it, hat, sir,
    I guess I didn't make it
    Get ready for me love, 'cause I'm a-comin'
    I simply gotta march, my heart's a-drummin'
    Don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade,
    I'm gonna live and live NOW!
    Get what I want, I know how!
    One roll for the whole shebang!
    One throw that bell will go clang,
    Eye on the target and wham,
    One shot, one gun shot and bam!
    Hey, look at me world, here I am...
    I'll march my band out, I'll beat my drum,
    And if I'm fanned out, your turn at bat, sir,
    At least I didn't fake it, hat, sir,
    I guess I didn't make it
    Get ready for me life, 'cause I'm a-comin'
    I simply gotta march, my heart's a-drummin'
    Nobody, no, nobody, is gonna rain on my parade!

February 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. angel

I dare say that none of you "music critic" clowns posting your negative & hateful comments on keys & beyonce never earned your livelyhoods as professional musicians or recording artists nor won a teen choice award, not to mention a grammy. 14 of them. plus in the words of ali g..yall sound a bit racialist.

February 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Self Esteem

get some...

February 4, 2013 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  21. empresstrudy

Brought to you by Blackberry.

February 4, 2013 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  22. what can she do?

she can't sing, she can't dance, she is a bitter person, jealous of all and most of all she can't even bum a ware
    right....what can she do? hahahahaha

February 4, 2013 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  23. beyone is a loser...

she can't even do that right.

February 4, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  24. hware

brought down – went back up in 5 min

February 4, 2013 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  25. datz why alicia get da secret 20

cuz she is can write.

February 4, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  26. Alicia's music never gets ruined...

its always tucked away in a recording studio

February 4, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  27. Alicia can't sing to save her life...

hahaha–she tries and tries and tries but she always screws up –

February 4, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  28. hware

brought down - went back up in 5 min

February 4, 2013 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  29. Peace

She kinda threw everyone off at the end. Everyone started cheering & moving around cuz they thought she was done...then she sang that last part.

February 4, 2013 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  30. familysupport

best move of her life.

February 4, 2013 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  31. Viennahd

While it was an interesting interpretation of the song, this isn't your next big hit – it's our National Anthem and therefore it should be respected and sang as it was meant to be.

February 4, 2013 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  32. Never Forget

I have no respect for her at all.

February 4, 2013 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  33. Never Forget

All while Alicia went public with the affair and gloated over her new catch knowing the wife would be home suffering behind the scandal. Many low life women have done the same, but when it involves an unborn child having to suffer......then it really says something about the kind of upbringing Alicia had. No grandmother or aunt of mine would have supported me doing something that horrible to another human being.

February 4, 2013 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

Glad we have you out there to pass judgment on all the people with flaws in the world.

February 4, 2013 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Jones

Because Beyonce screwed up the anthem everybody wants to hate on Alicia and have something negative to say!!!! If Stevie Wonder had played the piano and the harmonica, would ppl have said the same thing???? What does her personal life have to do with how she sung the National Anthem??? nothing, evidentally CBS liked it otherwise she wouldn't have performed. Big ups to A Keys and Jennifer Hudson for singing live and doing our country proud. And thanks to the Destiny Child members for bringing some excitement to Beyonce's old, tired, same dry performance. And personally, I think the girls are crazy to keep doing these reunion CD's with her everytime her career is damn near over. She didn't want to be a part of the group so I would leave her as the has been solo act the she's became. Kelly is hot and she's not so we now know why she decided to do a reunion.

February 4, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Never Forget

Alicia stealing the husbands of pregnant women is never gonna win fans. Alicia has proven that she will do any slimy thing to get what she wants. She doesn't have powerfull talent like Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, or even Tori Amos for that matter. So to make up for her low self worth she went after a married man who had a pregnant wife. The wife was left abandoned without financial support and a newborn.

February 4, 2013 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  35. Never Forget

She is one selfish human foiled mess! And I never could stand that awful voice of hers. She makes me loathe the sound of pianos. No talent there either.

February 4, 2013 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  36. roy

I agree

February 4, 2013 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  37. Christine

As a singer myself, I take pride in a well-sung Anthem. It shouldn't sound strained, or as if one is screaming. It also should not be sung as slowly as a funeral dirge. My two favorite Superbowl performances were Whitney Houston's and the Dixie Chicks'. I was not impressed last night.

February 4, 2013 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  38. lynne

alicia is a very talented singer but her type of voice is not powerful enough to sing the national anthem. jennifer should have it.

February 4, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  39. jon

conduct business as usual-see u tomorrow.

February 4, 2013 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  40. Daz it.

shut la macheen down.

February 4, 2013 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  41. jon

?

February 4, 2013 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  42. your still talking?

Lone

Opinion, meet Subjectivity. Fact couldn't make it so get used to each other.

February 4, 2013 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  43. nanna

HORRIBLE, JUST HORRIBLE! Also, I don't remember the ending ever being like that....maybe that's something new the Imperial President added! Hated it!

February 4, 2013 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  44. Heart and Soul

the star spangled banner has too be done the true traditional way from the heart and soul. This sounded like a jam session..geeze alecia!

February 4, 2013 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
    • asu keer

I think she is overrated but you can't even spell her name correctly. Lol

February 4, 2013 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
    • sybaris

WHO says it HAS to be done any certain way?

February 4, 2013 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Owl96

Is there a traditional way? The First Brigade Band (plays Civil War era music) has 6 different arrangements of the Star Spangled Banner used during the Civil War. Which of those arrangements is the traditional way? Who's tradition?

February 4, 2013 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  45. Alecia is a talent but....

Its all about the breathing...if you begin too lose oxygen in a song the wrong way when performing the star spangled banner it throws you and the song off therefore causing panic.

She appeared too look like she was singing the song in her living room. alecia was very winded at the end also
    which means she did put enough rehearsal into it. once you start losing oxygen during a song thats where the panic begins.

Alecia is one of the best piano players and a good singer but you can tell she did not put enough effort into the star spangled banner.

February 4, 2013 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  46. TampaMel

The people commenting are quite funny. All those supposed music critics. I bet most couldn't carry a tune if I gave them a bag to put it in.

February 4, 2013 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  47. Heard Alecia again....

i've sung this song a few times....the song is too powerful for her–alecia's voice cracked many times-the song has too be loud, powerful, sung from the heart and gut.....that is the only way it can be done...whitney houston was the best.

February 4, 2013 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Howard

Agreed, Whitney at the 1992 Super Bowl was far and away the best.

I wish someone would tell these egotistical performers that this is America's National Anthem. It's not about you or your supposed "artistry." It's supposed to honor our country, not yourself. Sing it straight, without personal embellishment, the way it was meant to be sung. Some things are supposed to remain the same.

February 4, 2013 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
    • asu keer

She didn't sing or play it straight probably because she knew she didn't have the chops to pull it off.

February 4, 2013 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
    • lisa b.

That's our problem...Whitney set the bar too high! LOL But, the truth is Whitney prerecorded.... AND...that was her rendition of the song. No one sang it like that before her. Ironically, Whitney's rendition has become what we believe as the norm.

March 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  48. awasis

Are you kidding me. She was flat on more than a few notes. Apparently it matters more to most who was singing instead of what it sounded like.

February 4, 2013 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
    • asu keer

Yeah, but who cares as long as she "looks good." 14 Grammys ... It's definitely not for her piano skills. What a joke...

February 4, 2013 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  49. asu keer

Alicia Keys sucked. She sounded like she was still learning how to play the National Anthem.

February 4, 2013 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  50. Jimmy-James

Jomo, yes there IS just one version of our National Anthem.n The music was written in 1780 and the lyrics were added in 1814. It was adopted by Congress in 1931 as the National Anthem of the United States of America. There is so much tradition behind this song and it has been around so long that anything changed from the melody, in notes, rhythms or tempo is not the same song. Singing the National Anthem is a privilege and one should sing it as it was written. It's not a jam-session or open mic night.

February 4, 2013 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  51. Tigerflower

Not sure why the current popularity of bluesy nightclub renditions for the SSB. It's martial, patriotic, definitely not a torch song. Puhleez, give us a good belter like old-timer Kate Smith for this song any day. Save the night club renditions for Happy Hour.

February 4, 2013 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  52. D

Meh, I have heard better, much better.

February 4, 2013 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  53. Herman and Lily

How long has Eddie Munster been doing sign language interpreting?

February 4, 2013 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  54. warren

ALICIA AND JENNIFER AMAZING. LOOSERS GET LIFES!

February 4, 2013 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  55. Rivington

Am I the only one who hears her flat 90% of the time? I can barely listen...

February 4, 2013 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • albert

That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's actually part of her style. She likes to play jazz chords and mixes it with pop which makes for the "odd" infections in her voice. My only gripe is that the girl needs to lay off the fried chicken.

February 4, 2013 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

You're the only one.

February 4, 2013 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  56. MikeyZ

Fourteen grammys at 33 is impressive.

My biggest success up to age 33 was being potty trained.

February 4, 2013 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  57. Our National Anthem

No one will ever sing it as bad as Rosanne Barr did several years ago.

February 4, 2013 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  58. Yolanda

I can take or leave her version, as well as her. I have a fundamental problem with her as a person because she carried on with Swizz Beats for years while claiming their relationship was strictly professional. His wife at the time knew better. Now she is raising their children on her own. I will not support a homewrecker regardless of the "talent" they may possess.

February 3, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • That's just crazy talk

Home wrecker!? It's takes two to tango.

February 4, 2013 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • justasportsnut

Homewrecker?!? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the man the one who was married? Why are you giving the man a pass?

February 4, 2013 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  59. kelly in los angeles

alicia sang it great-beautiful and unique

February 3, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • xenybob

I agree. She kept it traditional and yet added just a touch of her own modern pizazz. She was careful and respectful of our national anthem. The extra line at end was the same line simply repeated and actually remind us of the importance of that final line. I'm very fussy about the national anthem, but she sang it beautifully. Tough song to sing.

February 4, 2013 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • tonielise

A real American would realize it is not the singer.. but the emotion YOU are feeling at the time. You should be singing along. Your heart should swell. Whether a child is singing or an elderly woman. I think she did very well considering she obviously knew all eyes were on her. <3 God bless you fine folks. And God speed.

February 4, 2013 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  60. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

Overall not a bad rendition of it. However, I must poop on her for adding a line at the end of it. She should have just sang it as it is written.

February 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sadie

Yeah, I agree with you. The tempo was a little on the slow side, too. At least, she didn't lip sync. I heard today that when Whitney sang the song that it was lip synced, too. I guess a lot of people didn't realize that, either. Alot of that going around it seems.

February 3, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alvarez

I didn't see the performance but would like to poop on her too, for no specific reason...

February 4, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Owl96

Well, it was written as a poem with 4 verses. Should she have sung all four verses?

February 4, 2013 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  61. P

Wow, is this 2013 or 1813?!

February 3, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  62. J2

It was cheesy. I didn't realize the Spar-Spangled Banner was a torch song.

February 3, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  63. lean6

I don't think it's even possible for people to be more afraid of everything that doesn't look like them as people are today. Get a life!

February 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  64. debbyt

It wasn't just slow... it was bad. Please don't anyone ever ask her to sing that again... its NOT her song..

February 3, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • kutiepie

Oh please! Put a sock in it...most people(95%) disagrees with you...booooooo to you.

February 4, 2013 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  65. JJ

This was good? Are you kidding? I read one of the comments below and checked out Whitney's version, that woman gave me the CHILLS she was so good! Keys was like a little girl practicing with her teacher compared to Houston. I don't know which version the author of this article was listening to, but I cringed more than once because Keys obviously took on more than she could handle. That said, she sang it at least 100 times better than I ever could (though that doesn't say much).

February 3, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  66. kudostokeys

I thought Keys sang the song with reverence and deep respect. Yes, it made me uncomfortable to slow down at first, but then it allowed me a moment to savor the lyrics and to really think about the meaning of the song. For me, the lyrics are the most important part of the piece, not the notes.

February 3, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  67. T-Roy

Beyonce will always be remembered as a cheater. Just like Lance Armstrong. They were too busy to work hard and practice without some kind of "assistance" to make sure they were successful. It is laziness pure and simple. Alicia Keys showed why she is the real deal.

In 20 years all people will remember about Beyonce is that she was part of group of women who lipsynced to their songs. Along with Brittney, and Ashley Simpson...

February 3, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al -bert

Can someone please let everyone enjoy variety . . do we have to talk alike, think alike, act alike or be found "awful" . . enjoyed all performances . . and Bey . . so what if she lip synced . . it was still her voice and it was beautiful . . . but then you wouldn't have fun if you had to be nice to others . . .

February 4, 2013 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  68. my cat

Can cough up a hair ball and sound better than that.

February 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • xenybob

What is wrong with you and all these other people writing such disgusting comments! Alicia Keyes did a beautiful job in singing the toughest song in the world, and we all agreed here! I hate to even add this, but after reading the crap coming from so many mouths I unfortunately feel the need to add we are all white! I cannot help but think some of the comments from some of you are racially biased. Otherwise, many of you are tone deaf. This is a brilliant musician and singer, with multiple degrees in music, not somebody who "lucked out." She paid her dues so give her a break! Additionally, her private life has nothing to do with her singing today!

February 4, 2013 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  69. schoolsub

The United States won World War II so that we wouldn't be playing Yamaha pianos (Alicia Keys) or driving Toyotas or Volkswagons (Das Auto). What is wrong with this generation of Americans????

February 3, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Bob

The National Anthem is a war anthem, meant to be belted out loud and strong. No doubt Ms Keys is talented, but this was a terrible arrangement of the Anthem. In my opinion, it shouldn't be sung, but if it must be, then see Whitney Houston's Super Bowl version of it. Now THAT was the way to sing it.

February 3, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

You are absolutely right..... Whitney sang it the best!

February 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Just listened to it and you're 100% right. Especially the last line, she nailed it, I'm still getting goosebumps.

February 3, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Not always a fan

I actually loved her rendition to the anthem!!! slow but beautiful! definitely unpredictable unlike the halftime show!

February 3, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  72. FISH

Why is it that supposedly talented musicians can't sing the National Anthem "straight" without the added notes and as it's written? It's not a song that should be taken for musical interpretation. At least she got the words right, but pretty marginal performance.

February 3, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Couldn't agree more. This is the national anthem, not the Sesame Street Theme song. Sing it the way it's supposed to be sang. Keep the dramatics for your own crappy music.

February 4, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Wr

hear, hear.

February 4, 2013 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  73. dynamiteservice

Who told her she could play the piano? Second grade performance!

February 3, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. gummyballz

Beyonce could learn a thing or two... Real Americans dont lip sync the Anthem

February 3, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Sandalwood

Terrible! Doesn't that woman know how to read music?

February 3, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Mac

Keys is immensely talented, no doubt about that. Her rendition, while beautiful, was too slow for my taste.

February 3, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  77. ken

boo boo terrible that a talent like that destroyed the song.

February 3, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Martha

The kids stole the show and it was heartwarming. The children should have sang the National Anthem.

February 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Notahater

I am just amazed how some are just there waiting to criticize everything. They both did amazing, stop being haters folks, just enjoy their talent and think POSITIVE!

February 3, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • reality bites

I enjoy talent when it shows. Not when it's backed up by trickery and lies. Beyonce will ALWAYS be a second-rate hack in my opinion.

February 3, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Jay in Florida

Alicia completely mutilated the national anthem. Someone should remind her this song is not from pop culture, nor is it a composition by lady gaga.

February 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  81. gail

Why can't "celebrities" sing the National Anthem the way it was written? Once again the anthem was decimated.

February 3, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Susan

Lets face it – talented all. But can we stop repeating Beyonce-Keyes-Hudson as the only quality entertainers in America? B-O-R-I-N-G! I cringe that the Grammy Awards will have the same tired performances.

February 3, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  83. skipthought

Great singer, wrong song, wrong place, wrong arrangement. Wrong choice.

February 3, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Alvarez

Can someone toss some stink nuggets at the stage while Beyoncé is up there??

February 3, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Terry

sucked like normal

February 3, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Pietro

I didn't recognize her. Has she bleached her skin like Beyonce, Rhianna, etc.?

February 3, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Anon

The anthem was badly sang. The singer totally lost control of her notes. The CNN reporter shouldn't try to be a music critic when (s)hebis tone deaf.

February 3, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • LL

Agreed. She was a mess when she sang the first note.

February 3, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

LOL! Take your own "professional" advice and don't be a music critic yourself! You're no more qualified than the person who wrote the article!

February 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  88. toby hill

bla, bla, bla!!! Lame commercials and lame entertainment.

February 3, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  89. bob

Another fine job of a "celebrity" butchering the national anthem.

February 3, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glow

Bob . . just wondered can you sing or perhaps know the words to the National Anthem?

February 4, 2013 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  90. Brian

Keys has a beautiful voice, but her redition of the anthem would be better suited for a night club.

February 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  91. William

or a monkey.

February 3, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  92. JomoDaMusicMan

WILL U RED NECKS EVER QUIT WITH YOUR STUPIDITY. Alicia was great, there is not just one version of the National Anthem, she did it will a feeling and with her own rhymatic emotions

February 3, 2013 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  93. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

Should never be required I meant to say.

February 4, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  94. wr

"there is not just one version of the National Anthem"
    Really? Might want to educate yourself before you spout off. Keyes, like most everyone else who sings the poor anthem these days, butchered it severely.

February 4, 2013 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  95. Lone

Opinion, meet Subjectivity. Fact couldn't make it so get used to each other.

February 4, 2013 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  96. sassysticks53

All the way to her bank account, which you probably don't have! Broke-a$$ troll!

February 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Down

the light went out years ago......she's blinded by most of it now.....move along....

February 4, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |