January 24th, 2013

So, about that fight on 'Idol' ...

On Wednesday's "American Idol," we finally got to see the fight that launched reports of a tense feud between Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey.

Actually, make that part of the fight.

As you'll recall, footage leaked last fall of Minaj and Carey in an argument while at an "Idol" audition stop in Charlotte, North Carolina. That clip appeared to show Minaj erupting at Carey, telling those off-camera, "I told them I'm not f****n' putting up with your f****n' highness over there."

Carey later alleged that Minaj made threats off-camera, causing "Idol" to feel like an "unsafe work environment" for the singer and prompting her to hire extra security.

But we didn't see any of that on Wednesday's show.

Instead, we saw a fairly tame but dramatic disagreement between Minaj, Carey and Randy Jackson, who threw in a few comments that aided in Minaj's eventual walking off the set. (Keith Urban, as what seems to be tradition now, was stuck in the middle.)

The spat was sparked by the performance of one Summer Cunningham, a 20-year-old student from Georgia who performed "Lean on Me."

She gave a pretty solid show, although one of the country variety. Before the judges voted her through to Hollywood week, there was a thorough discussion of Summer's sound that Minaj didn't appreciate.

"Why are we like, picking her apart because of a country comment?" the rapper/singer said before clarifying that she was specifically talking about Carey and Jackson.

It just devolved from there, with Carey and Jackson saying they were only trying to help and Minaj defending poor Summer, who was frozen to her spot with a confused smile on her face. When Summer finally made her exit, Minaj wasn't far behind her.

"Maybe I should just get off the f*****g panel," Minaj retorted when Jackson said he had 30 years of insight to share with the contestants. "Finish the show. I'm done!"

Cue Carey: "That was my move - I was going to do that the next time she ragged on me."

Again, we're going to ask - just what exactly are they sipping in those Coke cups?

So what did you think of the "big blowout"? Anti-climactic, or entertaining? Are you going to stick with "Idol" this season?

Filed under: American Idol 2013 • television

1. isabel marant sale

Some really quality blog posts on this site, saved to fav. isabel marant sale http://gx54.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=160732

February 20, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

Big difference. Mariah has actual talent, and this show is not her main gig. Minaj needs this show for anyone to know who she even is.

February 20, 2013 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P. (Mothers against poo)

You must be pretty old then dude – Minaj is way more popular in music than Mariah rght now. Yes for people old enough to remember Mariahs heyday was grand and great, but she a little bit washed up now, hasn't had a hit since HOney in 98 or something! Minaj is fresh, new, creative and awesome so Eat a Dikk!

February 22, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dlaird

I decided to give Idol one more chance- what a mistake!! Nicki is terrible- so rude! Certainly the producers can find a better judge! Goodbye Idol!! Hello The Voice!!

February 17, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. power down

its way too embarrassing.

January 28, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Veronica

Nikki is awful! Will not continue to watch this show this season if she continues to act like a child. If she rolls her eyes one more time I'm going to jump through the tv and kick her *ss! She is so rude and disrespectful

January 28, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marinanna

nuff said

January 27, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SKY

BOTH WOMEN ARE DIFFERENT.....IT JUST I CAN'T BRING MY BRAIN DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL...I THINK
    YOUNG TEENAGER, OR IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRY'S WILL BETTER APPRECIATE THIS HUMOR...
    I TRIED AND GOT A HEADACHE....BUT I SAID ITS NOT THE SHOW...SO THE NEXT WEEK I WAS
    FEELING GOOD,,,,AND DECIDED TO WATCH AMERICAN IDOL AND 10MIN INTO THE SHOW I
    I GOT A HEADACHE...MY BRAIN CAN'T HANDLE THE ELEMENTARY TIC FOR TAC

January 27, 2013 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. Marin Moron

i hear nikki is holding a special event this evening.

January 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Not longer a fan of Mariah

I would have to agree with Niki. Why does Mariah and Randy need to question the contestant if the genre of music they sing is what they really want to do. Mariah sure as hell has no room to question about genre. She went from R&B to trying the HIP HOP and Rap. Now that was a total flop or maybe that’s why she is asking??? Bottom line Mariah and Randy should not question the contestants if that’s the genre they want to go with. As far as Niki she is doing a great job.

January 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • retphxfire

So you admire someone who likes to 'scold' others, but her Diva crown doesn't allow her to sit and listen to their response. She's either extremely immature, has a HUGE chip on her shoulder or has an incredibly inflated view of her own importance. I'm a little tired of the personalities who love to tell the rest what to do, while they are more annoying and cause more problems then the people they are 'improving'.

January 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. i have soooooooo much respect

for nikki she's a real trooper===

January 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hacking in phones and homes...

no remorse.

January 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dwane has to cover his ass...

January 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shikabane Hime

This is no talent when judged by a talentless little sh-t like Nicki-picky. She wants to run the show. Let her drive it into banality all the way. All train wrecks are watchable for only so long.

January 25, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mark

When I first heard that Nikki Minaj was going to be a judge, I was horrified only because I've seen her perform live on TV a few times and she just didn't have talent. Couldn't sing, couldn't dance...sorry just my opinion. I decided to watch the show a couple times and can honestly say: I believe she is the best judge on the panel. She takes the lead, adds pizazz to a tiring show, comes off as cute and knowledgeable, and must admit that her smile is dazzling! Because of her, I will watch the show. Idol producers should know that they don't need to make up friction to sell the show. Bad move on producers part to think that's important.

January 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DOUBLE SCREEN SHOT ALL BH21

AND GO PREZ....SHE IS TRYING TO MAKE MADONNA LOOK RACIST...

there is your management sweetie....fun last night huh?

January 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. symone says

i've never watched the show because i don't find it entertaining to see the poor singers be mocked publicly on a broad stage of millions. that is humiliating. i appreciate all the stars that have been made, bt i don't like the pain of those who were used for marketing purposes. as a singer, i can say, we all have had a horrible outing once or twice. it would be horrid to have it mocked on television.

but these two AWs – neither of whom i respect personally – are causing drama and again, the show is not about the singers competing. it is about petty drama

by the way, the young kids are watching and emulating. i would think that carey in particular would want to consider how she represents herself as a role model for her children.

January 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The Joint

mariah has too cool down when screwing with cotton candy

January 25, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. Rock

yeah, whatever, i just want to jlzz up that candy floss hair

January 25, 2013 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. Meh

Silly weak-minded nonsensical junk

January 25, 2013 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Hair Brush Donna

bad business decision

January 25, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  21. Lass

The show has had highly successful results, as far as contestants reaching stardom status, no doubt.
    I love a good "talent show", but come on, why the stupid, degrading, ridiculous bickering and fake, set-up
    drama? It's an insult to the viewers!!! I understand that some only watch the auditions, but really, for those who
    want to be in on the process of finding real talent, please stop the stupidity! Humor is one thing, but stupid is
    another. Whatever happened to "classy:?

January 25, 2013 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • 9002 with Nic240 and film

all voted OUT and no class towards fellow man.

January 25, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  22. NOPE

so sad

January 25, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  23. Joseph

Name ONE year this spoof of a show hasn't been 70% about the freak'n judges.They make up stuff for the free PR the entertainment shows give them.

January 25, 2013 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  24. many thoughts

1. pig ( big votes)
    2. can't direct
    3. head down (big votes)
    4. unprofessional (big votes)
    5. Head Down (big votes)
    6. less lip services (big votes)

January 25, 2013 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
    • and too further embarass gaga..all the men there said....

I AM VERY ATTRACTIVE IN PERSON.....THE PHOTOS SHOW NO JUSTICE.....

remember now: heads down.

January 25, 2013 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  25. oh and a better video system.....

since it was retrieved for the whole world too see.

January 25, 2013 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  26. that was the conclusion for gaga...

much less lip service is the best course of action.

January 25, 2013 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  27. the 2 of them suck...

Madonna rules

January 25, 2013 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  28. How did the video business go last night?

January 25, 2013 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  29. Chrtofatwa

If Nicki wasn't there the show would be HORRIBLE! Thank god icki is there to keep it semi-real. Mariah is on another planet where she is the Queen and we are all inferior. Get yo head out that asS!

January 25, 2013 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  30. Arnold Ziffle

They should put Nicki Minaj right next to Mariah and just let them go full-on catfight. Their ratings would improve tremendously. They've got nothing to lose. Show has been going downhill fast.

January 25, 2013 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  31. akismet-8967c859f59eee49f5999ecad229d20b

Nope. I'm done with Idol with this panel. The show went to hell after Simon left. It's no longer worth watching. It's just a glorified popularity contest and has nothing to do with who's actually the better singer. Hell, look at some of the past "winners" who turned out to be huge duds but runner-ups have won actual awards and have strong fan followings.

January 25, 2013 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  32. Jenni

From what we were shown of this fight, I thought Nicki was in the right. I wonder why they didn’t show more of it, though. I wonder if we have any more big blowouts to look forward to this season. The live shows should be particularly interesting! I’m sadly never home to watch American Idol live because I work late nights at DISH during the week. My DISH Hopper always records it for me, though. It’s so convenient how the PrimeTime Anytime feature automatically records all the primetime shows on all four major networks every night. I never worry anymore about missing anything I want to watch.

January 25, 2013 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • product placement, anyone?

I take it you work in the promotions department. Tacky and unecessary on an entertainment blog.

January 25, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. urban dictionary on diva Carey

a bit[hy woman that must have her way exactly, or no way at all. often rude and belittles people, believes that everyone is beneath her and thinks that she is so much more loved than what she really is. selfish, spoiled, and overly dramatic.

January 24, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  34. MT

I recognize that you're trying to dumb down society with this crap but at least do so with reasonably good grammar and mechanics, PLEASE. You are CNN.

January 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  35. bellella45

I cannot believe people are dogging on Mariah and not that child in a grown woman's body..she is rude, she gets mad when things dont go her way, or someone has a different opinion from her, then storms out, I mean, are we professional or Immature? And, why cant Randy and Mariah say what they want..just because they have different opinion from Nicki, I mean, why does everyone have to agree with Nicki for everything not explode into some nasty barb, or ridiculous comment ...and Mariah hardly can say anything b/c Nicki takes over EVERYTHING..I havnt not liked Nicki but her childish, rude manners are too much, this show is not about Nicki..or Mariah or Randy or Keith, it's about the kids that want to sing, wont their change, stop making it about you, child..!..there is too much ego on that judge panel and it aint on Randy, Mariah or Keith. And,excuse me, who does everyone come in saying they love & couldnt wait to meet, and have loved her for a long time, Mariah..I never was a huge fan of Mariah myself, except her voice, but my gosh she has been holding her on to some one that is clearly jealous of Mariah's talent..I say leave Mariah alone, she is not acting like a Diva, she is trying to show some class, unlike others on there, Nicki..!

January 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • FromBrooklyn

You obviously don't know enough about Mariah Carey. This is a woman who once showed up extremely late for an interview on Good Day NY and then had the NERVE to make them change the color scheme of the set. She really does think she's better than everyone else. She is so unlikable it's not even funny.

January 25, 2013 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  36. Terry

Keith is great, Nicki has her issues, but she is doing okay (she's funny sometimes) but the other one, Ms Mariah – Way to Diva for me – she's horrible.

January 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  37. JC

Put Piers Morgan on the show as a judge, this is the only way the show could get any worse.

January 24, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Brenda

Have watched it every season but Wed night was the last time for me ever to waste my time on two spoiled want to be Divas. It should be about discovering talent and it is a complete turn off this year.

January 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. she

nicki manaj was right. mariah and randy were too hard on that girl. for those of you talking trash about the pink head girl you need to watch and not think you know what you talking about. id rather watch pink head then that snobby b!tch carrey.

January 24, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robb

Gooooo Nicki!!!!!!! Randy we are all tired of you on IDOL. Mariah, hmmmm...did anybody believe she would not play the DIVA!!!!! We like their music but Diana Ross, Babs Streisand, Mariah they have taken their talent and placed themselves above the rest of us. BOOOOO!!!!!! Nicki, get out while you can. This show SUCKS

January 24, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. gaga

is a disgraceful rude sneaky snoopy liar.....and THAT will show up in the BRUSH DONNA VIDEO

January 24, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  41. jack moses

I think Nicki Minah is absolutely disgusting. WHat makes her think that she can just interupt other people talking and take over the set?? It is a classic example demonstrated by Nicki that money and success cannot buy class and manners!! im done with this show...as are just about everybody else i speak with. Producers made a HUGE mistake with this!! See ya!!

January 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lewis

Bring back the Gong Show. Divas and egos weren't a problem. The only focus was talent.

January 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  43. bagladyboutique

Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique.

January 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bay

I watched 20 minutes of the first episode this season and already couldn't stand it. This show should be about the talent, not about the ridiculous drama on the panel. I will not be watching this season, and I think it's so sad that these contestants have to put up with this. Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey should not be on this panel of judges. They have taken the show way too far away from the initial reasons it was started. Pathetic.

January 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  45. snow white

Just pull the plug on this piece of crap show NOW !!! – just dreadful.

January 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Illegal Invasion

as we go forward - any further photos or videos...please automatically send to the emails list...
    so we can let teach people know to cover their territory better..very sad..we had a meeting and
    its time to punish back...thanks see all tonight.

January 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  47. tracie

MY BUTT JUST POPPED! SERIOUSLY!

January 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  48. beakswife

that's what happens when you get these people who have such huge egos working together....

January 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  49. they want to do it tonight at her house...

they don't want her at the party.....better....

January 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. emajewski

I tuned in to watch new talent not a bunch of adults act like stupid kids. I realize the ratings have gone down each season and this is not the way to generate popularity for the show. If this continues I will no longer watch it...Its just plain boring and dumb.

January 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |