January 8th, 2013

With "American Idol" returning to Fox next week, it seems Mariah Carey's been working on her eye roll.

The singer talked with Barbara Walters for ABC News' "Nightline" on Monday about the seemingly endless feud between herself and fellow new "Idol" judge Nicki Minaj.

After chatting about Carey's career, Walters got down to business.

Walters was "in the ballpark" on the singer's rumored $18 million contract, and Carey also confirmed that she hired extra security after the initial judges' panel rumble at an audition in North Carolina in October.

Carey told Walters after footage of the fight leaked that Minaj threatened her off-camera, saying multiple people heard the rapper say, "If I had a gun, I would shoot the b****."

Minaj responded to the allegation on Twitter at the time, denying that she ever referenced a gun and insinuating that Carey wasn't being honest.

But on Monday, Carey said that "Idol" had begun to feel like "an unsafe work environment."

"Anytime anybody's reeling threats at somebody, you know, that's just - it's not appropriate," Carey said. "I've got two babies, I'm not going to take any chances, so yeah I did hire more security. I just felt it was the appropriate thing to do."

Walters then brought up Minaj's song "Hell Yeah," in which Minaj raps, "OK, I'll take it, sign on the dotted line. But I'm quick to check a b**** if she's outta line. ... Why these bums so mad that the queen on 'Idol'?"

On whether she's the "b****" Minaj is referring to in the song, Carey couldn't say.

"Don't know," Carey responded. "I didn't know she sang, I thought she rapped, or whatever. ... I think ['Idol'] is a classic, classy show, and it didn't need this."

To get the full effect of that reply, you'll have to skip to around 4:15 in the clip below. "American Idol" premieres January 16 and 17.

Filed under: Mariah Carey

1. http://www.radioamahoela.nl/indext.asp?p=59

The choose also reported more desirable use needs to be produced of industry professionals who'll be scrutinised a lot more diligently in long term. "Experts are misused and overused," he wrote.
    http://www.radioamahoela.nl/indext.asp?p=59 http://www.radioamahoela.nl/indext.asp?p=59

November 28, 2013 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. No

pity is more the review

February 5, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. jealous

your hoping for anger...but mariah is stoopid....its called theater

February 5, 2013 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Meh

yeah....im really tired of angry black women

February 5, 2013 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. sarah

who is this creepy minja girl anyway?!!! what a gross little thing!!

February 4, 2013 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Billl

It is a man, no other explanation.

just disgusting.

no sir.

no sir, I don't like it.

Not one little bit.

CREEPY!!!

February 4, 2013 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pandora80

Maria is getting fatter every moment (but still do-able)

February 4, 2013 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. GiGi Eats Celebrities

I was shocked to hear that AI actually offered M.C. a job as judge on the show... But then again, they know their ratings are falling these days, so anything to bring controversy and the public eye back to their show!! And look, it's WORKING!

February 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Drama

Mariah Carey is a DIVA and a drama queen. This is not the first time she has been involved in drama with another woman. She is washed up and "Idol" is a last ditch effort for her to gain attention. I think Nicki Minaj was genuinely annoyed by Mariah Carey's drama and she made it known that it wasn't gonna fly. End of story. Of course Mariah Carey has to drag it out for more attention cause she has nothing else to get the cameras on her.

February 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. catstoy

it's all for ratings....

January 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mollie Smith

sorry Nigel, Nicki needs to go. Bring back Steven Tyler any day,this show is like a circus!!

January 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • catstoy

I agree because Minaj look at people like they are something she scrape from the bottom of her shoe.

January 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jesus Harvey Christ

I really wish Keith Urban and Randy Jackson would stop their on-air feuding.

January 22, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sky-

mariah and nikki are clowns.

January 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SKY

ANYBODY GETS IN YOUR FACE OR THREATEN TO ATTACK YOU – YOU SHOULD HAVE THEM ARRESTED.
    NOW A TRUE PERSON ADMITS WHAT THEY SAID...AND A COWARD AND BULLY ALWAYS FOLLOW A
    PATTERN OF LIES.....MARIAH CAREY A CLASS ACT...MANAJ A CLOWN .

January 18, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Deb

I watched the show last night and I enjoyed most of it but I could not understand Minji when she spoke. I kept turning up the volume and I thought I was going crazy, I must be getting too old!!! Mariah is so totally the best singer in the world and needs to be polite but ignore the other one. Love Randy and Keith Urban. :(

January 18, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. well i may have to agree

she is a low end as gaga...that's true...and everyone knows where gaga stands...

January 17, 2013 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. nope

Nope she's the best.

January 17, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  17. pmn

Minaj is nothing but a thug...as Carey says not a singer but a rapper. Minaj is a no talent wanna be a black Lady Gaga. She has no class. Carey had every right to hire security it was obvious why. Minaj trying to downplay this situation everyone can see through her BS...I am not doing any I am innocent act. Yeah right!

January 17, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  18. Nicky Minaj is great...

... for me to poop on.

January 16, 2013 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  19. Liily

I've watched IDOL every season, but this year I will not. Minaj has made a joke out of the entire show. She is disgusting, uncouth, trashy, and has no talent whatsoever. How can she possibly judge talent when she has absolutely no experience with the concept?

January 15, 2013 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
    • hux

I listened to this pin head Minaj on Letterman. Braindead not the brightest bulb in the house.

January 16, 2013 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  20. Queta

Idol has hit a new low. All the talented music artist out here and they pick a clown (Minaj) to do the judging. Minaj isn't any near as talented as Carey. Now let her put that in her unreal big azz and smoke it!

January 14, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  21. RANDY

i have watched idol since the begining and i love miriah but for anyone to think that minaj has talant enough to judge others is just stupid, ill prob not be watching this year just because of that choice to make her a judge, i mean come on she cant sing she talks plus she has no class at all , wth were the idol producers thinking they have ruined americas favorite show

January 14, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queta

Randy:

I could not agree with you more. I am so sick of the untalented fools thinking they have talent and people buying their garbage and making them think they have talent. Minag has zero talent. I have never brought anything that she has put out and never will.

January 14, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. whatwhat

did ya hire security when Glitter came out,,,,,,,don't think so.

January 12, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. empresstrudy

'Because my ass and my ego need their own zipcode.

January 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Beep1

mariah doesn't beep technology...

January 11, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. pitt04

No matter how you look at it..it hss nothing to do with the type of music or skin color.....Niki Minaj has no class. Mariah does.

January 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. NormalFan

So who is that Bozo the Clown looking girl anyway?

January 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. COOKIE

SOME SAY ALL OF THIS STUPIDITY IS FOR RATINGS, SOME SAY IT IS NOT. I SAY WHY SHOULD ANYONE REALLY CARE, THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN THIS WORLD THAT I'M SURE PEOPLE COULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT. EITHER WAY AT THE END OF THE DAY BOTH OF THESE SILLY SO CALLED LADIES WILL GETTING PAID.

January 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mariah is a ho...

end of story

January 10, 2013 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  29. derp

"I didn't know she sang, I thought she rapped, or whatever"

Classic, Mariah calls it like it is. No talent hack Minaj is at 14 minutes and counting.

January 10, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  30. bellyhungovershorts@gmail.com

what a maroon

January 9, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. bloated

This show has now become unwatchable. The high priestess of stuck-up self-absorption and a squeaking faux rapper?? Yikes. Poor Keith Urban didn't know what he was getting into but I'm betting he'd rather go get a beer with crazy train Tom Cruise than be on that panel of "judges." And though I clearly have no love for Mariah at least she has had a career longer than the life-span of a gnat, unlike Nikki Minaj...I think that flash in the pan just went out.

January 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Auto Occasion

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched all over the place and simply could not come across. What a perfect web site.

Auto Occasion

January 9, 2013 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  33. get off the equip mariah...

everyone is laughing at you..

January 8, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mariah and midge

i swear we could be sisters...really...

January 8, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. me and mariah are like sisters...

we love clothes, we love makup and most of all we love ourselves. thank you.

January 8, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  36. I want the hairy one...

is he here tonight?

January 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  37. mariah margaret

i love mariah so much–she is not a slob, she is always s8xy for her husband and i love that in her.
    her marriage is perfect and they get along perfectly

January 8, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. sultana

they both suck . ones crazy as hell and the other is stuck up . i preffer the stuck up one .

January 8, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Sean

Minaj needs to get off idol, and go to America's Funniest Home Videos, because that's exactly where she belongs. She's something funny to look and laugh at, and who knows, maybe she'll win $100,000.Or whatever the prize money is. Idol is a classic show about singing, and minaj doesn't even rap, she's auto tuned to bubblegum pop. Go back to youtube. That's all :) Love you Mariah!

January 8, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  40. yep at the end of the song...

throw the man down ladies...done.

January 8, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  41. rehearshing ... this is true

come on listen–i'd love to make out with this song blaring in our ears...

January 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mariah has breasts

nuff said....

January 8, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Tanya

Two divas on the same show is for ratings. Diana Ross must be their coach.

January 8, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Mariah

I swallowed Adele whole for lunch today with ten pounds of mashed potatoes and a gallon of gravy. Look how curvy I look in my green dress. One can never tell I that I'm a moose.

January 8, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  45. GMS

Mariah is on a level that Nicki will never get to?? What level is that?? Seems to me both of them are nothing but trash mouth ho's who should just shut up and disappear. They're both embarrassments to the human race!

January 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mariah is the best

she's my idol and has a great marriage.

January 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  47. awwwwww

yes she supports obama–you won't sitting in her house anytime soon either nate.

January 8, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Steve

What was idol smoking when they ok'd this nicki? I like her and have her music but no one messes with Mariah. Mariah is on a level nicki is never going to get to. She should know her place.

January 8, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queta

You sound really dumb. If she has no talent why would you buy her music. Sounds like you have no brain.

January 14, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jeff

Niki Minaj is a typical Obama supporter.

January 8, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Nate

I agree. Minaj is just trash. Our home and televisions became American Idol free once she became a judge. As long as she is on it we will not watch it or allow it to bd shown at our house

January 8, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queta

Idol went down hill when they allowed screming-azz Steven Tyler on the show. But atleast he has more talent than Nicki "Fake-Booty" Minaj. A dinner plate has more talent and class than she does.

January 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |