Julianne Hough recalls past abuse
January 3rd, 2013

Julianne Hough recalls past abuse

Julianne Hough has opened up about a painful part of her past in a new interview with Cosmopolitan magazine.

The 24-year-old talent recalls an abusive childhood in London when she was training to be a dancer.

She moved away from her parents and her home of South Jordan, Utah, at the age of 10 to train at London's Italia Conti Academy of the Arts, where her brother Derek was also studying.

But while overseas, "I was abused, mentally, physically, everything," she told Cosmo. “I was 10 years old looking like I was 28, being a very sensual dancer. I was a tormented little kid who had to put on this sexy façade because that was my job and my life. But my heart was the same, and I was this innocent little girl. I wanted so much love.”

The abuse grew worse "when I started hitting puberty, when I started becoming a woman and stopped being a little girl," she said. "I was told if I ever went back to the United States, three things were going to happen. One: I was going to amount to nothing. Two: I was going to work at Whataburger. And three: I was going to end up a slut. So, it was like, I can't go back. I have to be this person."

Cosmopolitan: What celebs look like without makeup

Hough declined to go into details about the manner of abuse, or who was abusing her. "I'm a very forgiving person, and I don't want to hurt anybody. What's past is past," she said. "This is the farthest I've ever gotten into my London situation."

Through it all, Hough clung to her goals of becoming a pro dancer by 18, a singer by 19 and then a movie star by 22. While she might not have included "date a guy just as driven" on her list, Hough has found that in Ryan Seacrest.

Cosmopolitan: The best celebrity makeovers of 2012

"We love what we do," she said. "We take pride in giving it our all, but then when we're alone, we really focus on going to dinners and being extra romantic and affectionate and just being there for each other."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Angel

I agree with "me" (and educated comments like this are the reason abuse continues). Her story is NOT funny, why are we making jokes about it??? Like a lot of celebrities who are idolized out there, it seems to me that she is opening up about her ordeal to make people more aware!!! It may even be theraputic for her, she did state this is the farthest she's gotten about her London situation. Obviously the relationship her and Ryan share works for them so who are any of you to judge? Ever hear that saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?!?!?! Your reactions are shameful...

February 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gotcha...

please deliver it yourself next time...so i can say i'm sorry to you...what a maroon..
    peace is in the works...

January 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Badly-Bent

Considering that in the 90s, Seacrest was radios equivalent of Simon Cowell, I'm surprised that Juliane finds him "nurturing" enough?

January 21, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. whale for now..

but i still got another date at the pizza burger place.

January 13, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chip Douglas

So whatswrongwith working at whataburger?

January 13, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Richard Fore

B. U. L. L. S. H. I. T

H. O. R. S. E. S. H. I. T

January 10, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Terry

I guess the most interesting thing in this article is that someone at Cosmo thinks Julianne is a 'movie star'!!! She is a very talented young woman, and lovely to look at, but a movie star???? She has had roles in 4 completed films, and to be perfectly honest without her singing or dancing would she really have been chosen for any of those roles? I would have to say beyond a shadow of a doubt...NO.
    When I think of a 'movie star', I think of Meryl Streep, Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Jane Fonda, Irene Dunne, Loretta Young, Vivian Leigh, just to name a few. So putting Julianne in that company is pretty ridiculous. But again, she is a fabulous dancer and you can't take that away from her!

January 10, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. haha

ryan and julianne have a sick thing going on...

January 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. A thing of beauty

ryan seacrest and julianne make the perfect couple. i hope they marry..he's was looking very hot on new years rockin eve this year....whoa

January 6, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gatecrasher1

Why is she wasting her time as a beard for Ryan Seacrest? He'd rather be joining Anderson Cooper on assignment in hot, remote reporting assignment.

January 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. empresstrudy

I recall my abuse at being made to listen to Juliane Hough.

January 5, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. http://www.kovidadev.com/blog/ckeditor-installation.html#comment-828

Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this website needs rather more consideration. I抣l in all probability be once more to learn rather more, thanks for that info.
    http://www.kovidadev.com/blog/ckeditor-installation.html#comment-828 http://www.kovidadev.com/blog/ckeditor-installation.html#comment-828

January 5, 2013 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. i love ryan seacrest

i know i'm not his type but who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. I'd like to abuse that hoe right now, in that special way...

JUST KIDDING!!! She is quite cute, poised for years of success, and if a public airing of her pain is necessary in order to heal, let's let her do it without comment. I had a brutally abusive childhood, unfortunately people like me don't get to air our grievances publicly for sympathy. Let's hope the abuse didn't come with the A. Winehouse or J. Morrison syndrome developing somewhere down the line, as it often comes celebrity or not.

January 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. scars

I applaud her for being a "forgiving person", but if what she says is true, she really has a moral obligation to name names. If this person (or persons) did it to her, there is a good chance that there are other victims as well. If she can stop even one person from being their victim, she needs to tell who it is. If she doesn't want to do it publicly, she could at least alert local authorities who can investigate the person. I understand her reluctance to do so. I was abused as a child and I never told anyone about it. It was a family member and I thought that since I was the only female child, no one else was in danger. Turned out this family member abused the boys, too. I found that out, as an adult, when I told someone what happened and found out I wasn't the only one. I live with the guilt that I had the chance to stop it, but I kept quiet because I was afraid and then, as I got older, I didn't want to tear our family apart by telling. I hope she takes the chance to do something now so she won't, later in life, end up living with the guilt like I do.

January 4, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Iceman

@ Scars..Then you need to give us the full names of those who abused you before encouraging others to come forth

January 10, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Agreed. I married a charming guy who turned out to be a diagnosed sociopath and made my life hell. I spoke out! After I left him, many of his exes quietly sent me email messages telling me he'd tormented them too. I wish they'd said something before I married the jerk instead of just comforting me after I got rid of him. When we just shut up and "forgive" abuse, we hurt ourselves and others.

January 11, 2013 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. dave

look at the other stories on the cover of that rag

January 4, 2013 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  17. ryan's not there...

julianne took it hook line and sinks..thanks to all...

January 4, 2013 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. amandawsherman

Hopefully they are not hurting other kids! she should at least say if the person/s of interest have been reported. I hope they aren't walking free.

January 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. San Jose

If she didn't want to go into detail, then why did she bring up the abuse in the first place??

January 3, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan

And why is she wearing all of those yucky clothes? I bet it's hot there where they are taking pictures. She should maybe be wearing a bikini.

January 3, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Stan

I'm saving up to get the new Wolverine one. It's from the X Men series and is mega cool.

January 3, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Imperial Commander

X Men are hella cool. Not as good as Spider-Man but still pretty good. Spidey has cool spidey senses.

January 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cathy

You sound like a mong

January 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Imperial Commander

What's a mong? Is that like a cool monkey or super hero?

January 3, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Stan

I wish I worked at a cool fast food place. My mom makes me do yard work and only get $20 a week. You know that only buys 1 collectible action figure?

January 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Charlene

Whataburger is more than just a burger. It's burgerlicious.

January 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Cathy

I think she sounds stuck up. Thinking she is better than us that work in the fast food industry. She is just a rude snob.

January 3, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • elblanco

Dude, working in fast food sucks pretty hard. and I say that while working in a call center.

January 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Cathy

Idiot, she didn't insult your pityful job. She was relating what she was told was going to happen to her if she didn't do what her abuser asked. It's idiots like you that prove to the rest of the world that the educational level in the U.S. is going in the crapper.

January 3, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

No way. I'm very smart. Employee of the month three times. I always put an extra slice of cheese on the cheeseburgers. The customers love me. I'm cheerful and peppy. Plus I always fill the fries containers FULL.

January 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Cathy

Hey. I work at Whataburger. I don't like her insulting my job. She isn't that special.

January 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lonnie

If her parents let her go to another country at the age of ten, then this says to me that they also financed it. She had her brother with her so she had someone to go to, she was not alone. This sounds like a crock to me and just a way for her to get sympathy and boost her career. At twenty-four she has an amazing life with plenty of money. There are plenty of people that grew up in bad situations and they never talk about it. Some things are best left unsaid.

January 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timothy

Wow Lonnie. Comments like the one you just posted are the precise reason so many women do not disclose or discuss the abuse they have suffered. The argument that her story is a "crock" or that she couldn't possibly have been abused simply because her brother was training in the same academy is ludicrous. Abuse should not be "left unsaid". Situations such as this one that are continuously swept under the rug in part contribute to the ongoing epidemic of abuse all over the world. It should be talked about; shouted from the rooftops if necessary. Rip the cloak of secrecy off of all abuse and openly call out every abuser by name; perhaps some real change would begin. You are only as sick as your secrets and I applaud her for beginning the journey to inner restoration and recovery. The process requires courage.

January 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |