Overheard: Letterman says Leno is funny, insecure
December 28th, 2012

Overheard: Letterman says Leno is funny, insecure

“Late Show” host David Letterman is opening up to Oprah Winfrey about depression, being the victim of a 2009 extortion attempt, and his highly publicized feud with Jay Leno.

During the interview with Winfrey, who he has also quarreled with in the past, Letterman calls Leno an “unusual fellow.”

“I’ve never met anyone quite like Jay. And I will say, and I’m happy to say, that I think he’s the funniest guy I’ve ever known. … Therefore, the fact that he is also maybe the most insecure person I have ever known, I could never reconcile that.”

The full interview is set to air on “Oprah’s Next Chapter” on Sunday, January 6 at 9 p.m. ET.

1. let's get on tweet and observe

January 12, 2013 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Shorty

Wow, is this an article or a tweet?

January 12, 2013 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. JohnC.

Frankly, I think that NBC should treat Jay Leno just like they did Johnny Carson. The "time limit" before moving to a new host was disingenuous on NBC, set Conan up for a fall, and was overall a failure. Just let Jay continue as host as long as he has decent ratings, and he wants to continue.

January 1, 2013 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Patrick

Jay tends to play it kinda safe on the tonight show. I always heard he is a lot more funnier and risqué in concerts and club dates. I think he's funny, but I also think he'd run you over if you got in his way. What happened to Conan was wrong, beyond wrong! Jay was never my first choice for late night comedy but I really lost a lot of respect for him after what he did. He could have done the right thing and left that horrible 10 pm show and he'd probably be a legend of late night. Now he's a guy you'd never turn your back on.

December 31, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnC

Conan should not have been offered the Tonight Show gig IMHO. Jay had not had time to settle in when this agreement had been signed. By the time that Conan was to take over, Jay was THE face of the Tonight Show, and was enjoying good ratings. I didn't like the feuding, and Conan should have just been bought off, or sent on his merry little way.

January 1, 2013 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

@RZ70 – Actually, that's the wrong Joe, so I'm correct. Plus I saw you coming and already have a PHD in RZ70 AND in Joe, so even if you HAD the correct degree, I would still be right. My PHD in retroactive degrees makes all of this correct as well.

December 31, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • RZ70

you're right! I'm a sad loser and can't win against you! Let all of CNN know that I have lost this battle of wits!

December 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. flashbulb248file

open letterman's schtick

December 29, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. Guest

Awww, geeeez, Dave. Let it go.

I like Dave. He seems very compassionate and his acerbic intelligence infuses his show with something other comics don't seem to offer. But how can he say in one sentence this so-called "feud" did not begin with Jay getting the Tonight show and then say "before all this" that he was friends with Jay. And why was it NBC's fault when Letterman wasn't hired but Leno's fault when O'Brien got the shaft. It's a double standard blame game.

Oh, and every showman has admitted at one time or another to being insecure as I recall, so what is up with that? I like both of these guys, but the Jay bashing is really old. And unfair, IMO. Which I'm totally qualified to offer, by the way.

December 28, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Well i feel the opposite, and I too am totally qualified to offer my opinion. I have multiple imaginary PHD's is like every field, so don't even TRY to argue, I can outwit you anytime I want. I have PHD in wit as well.

December 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • RZ70

@Joe. Oddly enough... you are incorrect. I have a PhD in 'Joe', and you're completely wrong.

December 30, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. what can you say

Letterman is the best....

December 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. my husband is going to leave me boutique....

December 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. She's in a panic...

be careful

December 28, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bagladyboutique

Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique.

December 28, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

John C. Give Leno time ????? He had 14 years before it was announced. Another 3 after that to get ready to leave. They should have given Conan time! Time to prove himself, and he would have, to America. But Leno had second thoughts and wormed his way back into the show. Leno's reputation is tarnished forever because he couldn't retire with class and grace.

January 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. saw letterman last week...

and when i head to CA i will see jay leno...i feel they are both funny....after all these years jay still seems to worry about the punchlines and its not comfortable but jay is very funny.

December 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |