LeAnn Rimes defends 'X Factor' performance
December 20th, 2012

LeAnn Rimes defends 'X Factor' performance

LeAnn Rimes swung by "The X Factor" Wednesday night to duet with a young contestant, but the reaction hasn't been kind.

The 30-year-old singer was tasked with performing a rendition of "How Do I Live Without You" with Carly Rose Sonenclar, yet Rimes' actions and vocal rough patches led some to conclude that she may have been less than sober.

Speaking with TMZ, Rimes said those assumptions couldn't be further from the truth.

Any oddball behavior that viewers picked up on were her attempts to "help this 13-year-old girl who was having some trouble with the song," Rimes said.

Rimes' lawyer added to TMZ that she "was not performing the way she would normally perform because she was on stage with a young girl."

Did you catch Rimes' "X Factor" performance? What did you think?

Filed under: Music • television • X Factor

1. oh please

WHY has America become the home of the entertainers.... We used to produce scientist and mechanics and engineers and architects etc etc. But no more...no...now we just give birth to Reality TV and "I can sing mamma I can Sing" wanna be attention seekers who have NO actual skill set . Its human nature to be capable of singing, so why make a big deal out of it. Its ONE STEP UP from being able to speak, why do we make such a spectacle when someone actually shows they can use their voice...humans...can do THAT...why not impress people by inventing something...by creating something...by BEING something....singing is a joke. This is not talent. And its not a skill set. If you CANT sing, then you have not actually applied yourself to trying to. Its ONE step up from speaking....get over it.

January 1, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • SmarterThanYou

Well, you obviously can't sing – and I say that not to support a "you're just jealous" argument, but to say that – if you did (know how to sing), you would know that your argument is utter nonsense, and that singing IS talent. You would know that because you would know how hard you had to work to be able to do it. You also don't have a clue what 'talent' is – which is to say, you clearly believe singers are born singing, and that being a good singer is therefore nothing special. False. Like anything else, it requires hard work and discipline to become truly great. Many people also believe athletes are just born being good at football, basketball, you name it. But they don't see the countless hours these athletes put in at the gym, and on the field, in order to become that good. You have probably never succeeded at anything in life, because you clearly fail to understand the effort it takes to become good at anything.

That said, I don't disagree that entertainment, generally, occupies too high a rung on our country's ladder of priorities. But that isn't the fault of singers. If there are opportunities to get paid and get paid well to entertain, by all means, anyone capable should go get them.

January 12, 2013 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Val99

I thought Carley carried the song and LR looked harsh. Maybe she could make friends with a bath before getting on National TV next time.

December 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gail D

Yeah LR was drunk, high or somethin – looked like a train wreck. She has obviously outlived her 15 minutes of fame. So desperate she had to try (and epically failed) to upstage a 13 year old.

December 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • pockets

These types of shows have killed the 'entertainment' business.

January 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kate

jeeez...everyone is a critic. I thought they both did just fine. It was supposed to be somewhat spontaneous for heaven's sake!!

December 29, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Leann doesn't market herself well at all.

carly is a young girl and everyone should have let her sing 1 more song.

thanks-saw.

December 28, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cowandallsafe

leann should have been a little more understand toward the child.

December 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. happycow22/all safe.

leann should have been a little more understand toward the child.

December 28, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

I didn't notice Carly Rose having any problems with the song!

December 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. boo to leigh ann rimes

i saw her "performance". it was awful. she was off key and sang the words wrong. carly rose did a MUCH better job!!!!!

December 28, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. elvisfan

bottom line leann screwed up

December 27, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. citizenUSA

Hey, I'm not saying she can't act better but remember, she was a "phenom" when she was 13. She's probably not had a proper upbringing since.

December 27, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. HasBeen

Leann sucks - talk about wanting someone to disappear from the public in 2013. You've become insignificant because of your cheating heart - what goes around, comes around. Your career is in the toilet and you're yesterday's news. Nobody wants to hear about you and your cheating husband and your ex and his ex. Just go away.

December 26, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Junior

Sorry, there is no "defending" that performance. But to be fair, I'd have to be wasted to even watch a crap show like that, so I cant imagine what someone has to drink or smoke to want to perform on that show.

December 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Yeah...

I thought Leann was f-ck3d up.

December 26, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. chgo

Who the F cares about LR any more? Let's get some real entertainment news to fill up the CNN pages the day after christmas people.

December 26, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. I love to sing...

want me to sing the star spangled banner as a lovely morning wake up in front your house at 5am...
    call me.

December 26, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. i think we said this 566 million times...

leann did not ruing the marriage...the gent had left his wife already...grow up bloggers-he separated from her and found another man...which is what the wife did also...please.

December 26, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  17. dirtyjeep78

Of course she was drunk, probably thinking about whose marriage she was going to ruin next. Sad that she is going to blame her crap performance on the fact that she had to sing with a child.

December 26, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  18. but ugly

but ugliest i have seen in a long time. time to go away and let in the new flavors have their 15 minutes. you had yours.

December 25, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. PhilG

Lee Ann's backing out of her career pretty fast.

Expect Lee Ann singing shows in shopping malls in the next year or two.

December 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Don Lizard

It's not all LeAnn Rimes fault, they both sang like hell! Carly Rose Sonenclar couldn't properly hit the notes at all.
    These live karaoke shows have got to stop.

December 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. LeAnn is wrong end of story

if she was drinking with this child's career in her hands that was wrong...i knew could not stand her for some reason.

December 24, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  22. we want kids to learn that they can be

straight on stage...especially with our kind of steps you have to be on point. leanne made a huge mistake.
    she does not look welll at all. she's like a grown baby who cries for attention

December 24, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  23. phoney12

Leann should have know better..this child depended on her and she did not fully pull through.
    write her off.

December 24, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  24. LeAnn has to figure out why she never

wins anything.

December 24, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  25. Alcohol and Drugs on stage...

no way-thank you parents for voting for us!

December 24, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  26. parents want utah peformance...

if it works on u toob-Poor LeAnn she made a mess of that 13 year old...our kids are between 19-22 and we would never be drunk on stage–.drinking stops tomorrow..and then we are back in business for 1 week...kids love us.

LeAnn is not a NUMBER 1 like she thinks she is...we would have made that 13 year old think she was celine dion.
    no consideration. can't stand her....thank you parents for voting for me and the "seniors" as examples of true professionalism...

one more thing: crooze...that little running part-focus man!

December 24, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  27. bf was blow away at rehearsal...

he could not believe us...and the kids of course....parents voted for US as examples to children in theater...
    our cb looks like the real cb too!!!

December 24, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  28. LeAnne(m) is getting another award voted by parents

reason being how she keeps children "clean" during performance...we(m) always preach we will not tolerate
    being stoned on stage or at rehearsals.

children in theater usually go into bad routes...we show them to be a true NUMBER 1 you must not be stoned on stage.
    for this i will be recognized IN UTAH...thank you parents....

December 24, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  29. phoney12 LeAnn

the video was fine...leanne looked a little loopy .....my boyfriend said there is a time and place for drinking....
    she did not help this kid...

December 24, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  30. From what i am told...

leanne likes pulled pork.

December 24, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  31. 2 appleapple

LeAnne is a putz and bore...my entire family knows that.

December 24, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  32. kare12

I did catch the performance and it was uncomfortable to watch. LeAnn was clearly trying too hard and sang over Carly. Whoever chose LeAnn should be given the boot. If it was you, Britney, sorry, but with LeAnn's personal problems it should have been known that she would be a risky choice. A younger singer and someone rooting for Carly would have been a better match.

December 24, 2012 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  33. 2 appleapple

video was ok–

December 23, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. we knew leanne was going to mess up

excellent speedy too!!!

December 23, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  35. unlocking.

December 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Terry

Are you kidding me? She was "trying" not to upstage a little girl – that's her story? Carly is twice the singer that LeAnn is/was – and she was on something for sure. She was a favorite of mine for years – she's fallen from grace. Period!

December 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. dance spys--utah wants us asap 1 nite.

we've been offered cb skit at utah...not sure if parents want the kids in there...we suggested an early hour because of kids.....we need the kids...songs are youthful and we are camaflooge.lololol..they have to move the bull lololol

we maybe able to use utah skit on u toob...let's wait and see what u tube looks like.

how's your hip 51 hunk–wife meetings ..lolololol.....my friend said go for it...

December 23, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • leenne suggested 7pm-9pm best

51 said yes-next week...we need rehrsal time when they are closed....i told them 1/2 day....parents emailed and said yes! cuz is here from cal. she's going to put it on cali news...xo. watch video 4, 879,264 times this week. lololol

xmas craze-enjoy!!!

December 23, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  38. the_dude

Dang eat a sandwich already

December 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Our video will be a smash on you tube--

to bad leanne screwed up again....

Happy Holidays to Cuba

December 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  40. this is why the you tube video of Leanne(m)/us

is going to be viewed to the entire world...we want to show the real us in front of the world and most of all the great job the kids did that night. come see the chickies roll.

December 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • hey milagros

every see a 51 year old man who looks like tom cruise kick his legs up to heaven...we'll show as soon as CB
      says ok good weekend to you and yours.

December 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  41. anyone every been to Australia?

December 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Leanne's pictures

ewwwwwwwwwww and they say i don't photo well.....

December 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Milagros

I've seen chicken wings with more meat on them. She's probably living on 200 calories/day and that will keep you dizzy all the time. She needs to have a CheeseBurger Deluxe quick or she's gonna pass out!!!

December 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  44. i just had a gig a few weeks ago...

the kids are first in these gigs...we are going to post our gig on you tube...we want to show that the kids and the ole timers were able to keep up(LOL)...we pushed the kids forward...they have to feel the stage like we have for many years....its a joy. if this child was only 13 and leanne had a buzz going..that was rude...thats society for you.

feliz navidad to Puerto Rico

December 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • this upcoming performance by me and my crew

has been legally approved.

December 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not Sure What Leanne was thinking--

when our chris brown raced back to get us.... we wanted to make sure the kids were included in that applause...we knew alot of the crazy applause was for the ole timers...... the kids were the first priority that night and wanted them to feel a natural high going through their bodies. our performance (approved) hopefully will be on the internet at some point–we have to wait for CB approvals. Leanne is a mother and performer. she should have been more considerate to the child.

December 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  45. She's only 13 years old

she's not going to be in perfect key like me. leanne should have been a bit more thoughtful to the child if she had a buzz going...

December 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  46. i work in the music industry also...

i saw the tape. no big deal.

happy holidays to my friends in Equador

December 22, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  47. JLT

I don't think she was drunk or high. I work in the music industry, and it is obvious they didn't have a lot of rehearsal time together. If they had, they would have been able to practice vocalizing/harmonizing together. You can tell Leanne was trying to do her best without out singing the 13 year old, but it was hard because the girl was not in key to the song.

December 22, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  48. Leanne's husband cheated on her right?

poor thing–maybe that's why she headed toe the bottle...i feel sorry for her. i hope drugs didn't play a role in that performance...that was not fair to the child.

December 22, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  49. Goooaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

have a good day boys. let me know.

December 22, 2012 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  50. Alcohol and Drugs...

Leanne has that rumor behind her also...i feel so sorry for her...i hope she wasn't high or especially drunk.
    You can't function when your drunk.

December 22, 2012 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  51. CNN please call if anything further happens

I want the person who listening to my phone calls...i want the person who is in my work computer, i want the person who took the pictures, i want the person who is in my life without my approval, i want the person who is in my home computer, I want the person who is in company information, i want the person who texted their name on my phone, i want person who looks a at my bank account, i want the person who took the donna summer video, i want the person who does not mind their own business i want the person who was listening to my cousins and i talking i want who sends me cmas texts, i want the person who takes over my emails..i want the person

December 22, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  52. Alcohol and Drugs

not me...a couple of drinks and a cig...that's about it nowadays....effects your throat its not worth it anymore

December 22, 2012 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  53. Alcohol and Drugs

not me...couple of drinks, maybe a cig and that's about it nowadays....

December 22, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  54. CNN please call if anything further happens

I want the person who listening to my phone calls...i want the person who is in my work computer, i want the person who took the pictures, i want the person who is in my life without my approval, i want the person who is in my home computer, I want the person who is in company information, i want the person who texted their name on my phone, i want person who looks a at my bank account, i want the person who took the donna summer video, i want the person who does not mind their own business i want the person who was listening to my cousins and i talking i want who sends me cmas texts, i want the person who takes over my emails...i want the person

December 22, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  55. Mildly Interested

Just watched the video. Not familiar with either singers. But, I can tell you the older girl has a much greater range and a much louder voice than the younger one. Neither were consistently in key...but that is fairly normal in pop music.

I'm not sure about drugs or alcohol; but, both were able to walk around and perform well enough for the show...so that's all you really need.

If they were at an opera they would both be driven from the stage for incompetence. But, most people don't like the opera any longer.

December 22, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  56. alumette

I saw the performance and I think she was OK. I had the impression she was trying not to take the limelight from the young girl and she was taking a "back seat". That's what I felt. She did not appear under any influence at all.

December 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Quite the contrary. Rimes was hitting notes that young girl couldn't hit. And she wouldn't let up on them, either.

Nope, Rimes was taking center stage. No doubt about it. And she WAS slurring.

Pity.

December 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  57. NOBODY IS WASTED...

AND N0BODY IS DRUNK....I DON'T ALLOW MY PEOPLE DRUNK ON THE JOB

December 21, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Todd

What was comming out of LR's mouth wasn't words. It was out of tune mumbles. I felt bad for the little girl how was singing amazing. I saw it live and my first reaction was wow" She is wasted!" Even my 10 yr old daughter asked what wrong with that lady. Absolutely terrible~

December 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Can you believe this is a female?

Its just floors me.

December 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. leanne's video left weeks ago

that's old news

December 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Marcia

Sorry but Carly Rose was not doing a good job of that song, LeAnn saved it for her, if you ask me..

December 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Marcia

I saw the show and I really don't know what there are talking about. She made that song what maybe ten years ago and what you all expected her to sound exactly like the record..pllleeeeaaasseee give her a break. Her voice was great and she did right by not upstaging the little girl.

December 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Kevin

It's just her time to do something to get back into the spotlight. Revive her career as they say. Good for her...fall off the wagon then hop back on and become the star you used to be. We can all sit here and eat it up like the lush's we are. Good times.

December 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Kim Carter

She was messed up on something & Carly's singing of the song put LeeAnn to shame. I fear LeeAnn has some problems, controlled substances I think. Sad. She looked really out of it....

December 21, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  65. NextShift

check the video-thanks

December 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Nolngerafan

LeAnn pathetic! Then blaim Carly is pitiful. Carly is the professional here, she never stumbled nor had dificulty on any of her songs. If anything had to try and figure out what the heck LeAnn was doing! When and how she was going to come in and sing due to LeAnns trainwreck of her own song. LeAnn should be thanking Carly her for saving her butt. Carly deserved to win x factor. This is supose to be about talent! Carly sang every song and made it her own with her own Carly touch of signature on it, thats talent. Although Tate is a good singer, he just copied the original singers rendition of each song, same old, same old, doesn't take alot of talent. I think Carly got robbed. LeAnn is pitiful and owes Carly a huge apology and should get out her checkbook and give Carly the 5 mill for her total mess of the duet!!!

December 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbara

Anyone that does drugs or drinks can tell you that Leeann was under the influence...no doubt...Carly was flawless the entire season of X Factor...she won by far...only Tate got the money...think that Tate just got more votes...cause anyone the really appreciated Carly would not have changed their vote at the last minute because of Leeann's poor performance...she better get herself together or she will be a hasbeen like some of the other country stars that fell from grace...Tate is good but you were right...he sang it like the original singer...Carly made each song an original of her on...We will see her in the bigtime....it is in her blood...there is no stopping her now....Go Carly!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • done

figured.

December 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  67. 4-1

listening can cause problems.

December 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  68. 4-1

was that news worthy?

December 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  69. prettymuchjulia

Yeah, she was way off. I think there was a mix of her possibly being a bit tipsy, but also some audio and ear piece issues.

December 21, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Day Shift/Night Shift

Good show...the best to everyone this holiday season.

December 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  71. 5678

I watched a clip of this. That 13 year old child upstaged her, and sang Leanne's song better than she did. It is hilariously pathetic that Leanne had to use the excuse that she sang poorly because she was on stage with a young girl, and that she was trying to help the girl with the song. That girl knew the song.
    Did you see how that girl was looking at Leanne. SHE knew something was wrong, and she was shocked at how poorly she was performing.

December 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Cindy Carhartt

I think everyone should just give LeAnn a break. She can't do ANYTHING right in the media and she is getting torn apart left and right. Give her a break and let her live her life in peace. I think the duet was fine and yes you people can sit there and tear it apart until the cows come home.

December 21, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  73. I saw the video

Leanne was fine. i cannot see her risking this childs future by being drunk. my old friends and i just completed a performance with a bunch of talented teens and the ole guys(lol) did not drink for 1 week. we wanted this kids to feel
    the joy of being in front of the audience and we were not going to ruin it for them.

the ole guys always knew when it was time to dance...the jack d's had to go away for a bit. of course after our show they were plastered within 1 hour...lolol

December 21, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Dave in NC

What is up with these comments? "Agreed" over and over again? If I didn't know better, I'd say two deuling psychos (one pro-Leann, one anti-) are logging in under different screen names and fighting it out.

December 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Steve Wilson, Canada

Well, I must be deaf because I just watched the whole 3:21 video and didn't see anything weird at all. I thought they both sounded great.

So, obviously I don't know anything about music

or;

I'm not a typical "arm chair" expert that loves to jump on the band wagon and criticize others.

December 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim F

Come on, you don't really think they sounded god together, do you? They were trying to sing over one another, were completely out of sync, and Leanne Rimes made Carlie Rose sound like an amateur... It was bad for so many reasons, def one of the worst 'duets' I've ever had the misfortune of hearing.

Geeze it was awful, just terrible! Even thinking back to it makes me want to turn the channel in my mind.

December 21, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  76. San Jose

She was probably tweaking. Homewrecking b**ch.

December 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  77. one thousand two hundred and thirty four

she looked straight to me

December 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. marjorie

cool

December 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Diego

That 13 year old girl is the one who carried Ms. Rimes who defintely seemed less than sober. Ifeel bad for that young girl having to put up with that.

December 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  80. pmn

I think she knocked down a few before getting on stage. She was slurring her words when they spoke to her after the song which explained how badly the song was sang. A few times the girl kind of looked at her like what is wrong with her then smiled. If you watch video she kind of stumbles a little then straigtens up. Oh yeah, she had a few. No getting out of that one homewrecker!

December 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Night Shift

i did 2 wonder numbers in front of 207 people the other night. what a night

December 21, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  82. Pierre

Trunk and trying to outshine a 13 years old with a great voice it was a mess that she crearted.

December 21, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • RunACheck

we must take responsibility for our mistakes.....

December 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • PDH

Completely agree. She was trying desperately to "outsing" her. It is obvious the 13 year old was having no problem with the song.

December 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  83. 3

i will never waste money a ticket to see leann

December 21, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  84. Pictures

Agreed.

December 21, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  85. California

Agreed

December 21, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  86. MarcSK

She was definitly trying to out-sing Carly

December 21, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  87. R E Lucas

Lotta negative critisism...If any of you negs have EVER performed live...you would understand a million things can go wrong....from your marks on a stage that you can barely see due to the spotlights on you...to singing a song you have performed a thousand times a certain way to all of sudden have to sing it differently with someone else...with 3 key changes and not sure where the other person is going to go is a virtual nightmare to any performer. Kudos to both singers for not doing to bad a job...from the remarks I read before listening for myself...I expected a lot worse.

December 21, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Day Shift/Night Shift

agreed.

December 21, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • CRACK 2

can't risk a nightmare in my audience either. agreed.

December 21, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Wah

A million things can go wrong and sometimes do, but it still doesn't change the fact that she blamed the song going so poorly on the girl. Additionally – if she really thought the song was inapparopriate because of it's difficulty then she could have suggested another song. I've been in this business and there is always negotiation room. I will agree, it's not as atrocious as people have suggested, but her comments post performance were. She's an adult. It didn't go well. Just say "we did our best and the kid really sang her heart out." alot of people would respect her more for it.

December 21, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • 3 shift

agreed.

December 21, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • 3 shift award

agreed.

December 21, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • pmn

Oh please! She is a professional singer and has done this song countless time. Mistakes yes...but this was a disaster. The young girl did a fabulous and very professional job. Leann could see just fine..um aren't performers used to bright lights?! Take the blinders off and re-watch the video. It was definitely not Leann's best performance. IDK if she was drunk but she definitely knocked a few too many to be on stage. You can tell when she speaks to the host..she is slurring her words. Not being negative just being truthful. I have seen a few drunks in my time! She had no business on stage like that especially with a young girl.

December 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiLa

That's why they hold rehearsals.

December 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1234

disaster-

December 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • tangent1234

agreed...rehearsals are critical

December 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  88. BV games.

good holiday to all

December 21, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  89. Demons confirmed...

Good holiday to all and great weekend.

December 21, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  90. Cracked

thank you.

December 21, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  91. So sad

It's a shame – Le Ann was treated like garbage by her family and they treated her as a meal ticket and pressured her into the life of Hollywood and fame fortune. Now, it's all she knows and her life is in a tailspin. I feel bad that she had a crappy upbringing, but she's rich, she can buy therapy and make an ADULT decision to accept responsibility for what she did (not just on the show) and grow up. Get the help she needs, settle her demons and just move on. Otherwise she'll end up a continued punchline. Another Whitney Houston...someone who used to be great.

December 21, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  92. Richard

Leann was trying to out sing a 13 year old, and failed horribly!! Her purpose was to help (which she claims is what she was trying to do) but the only one who sruggled with the song was her!!! She was so hell bent on out singing Carly (but never did) and then tries to blame a 13 year old for her aweful antics!!! She may not have been drunk, and is just that aweful a singer now... who knows, but she should have just said she was drunk!!! I would have respected that more than what she did!!!

December 21, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  93. Meh

/boring
    but at least I didnt make the idiotic comment of "why did you comment if you were so bored?"
    yes, totally idiotic comment

December 21, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  94. How is one forced into anything nowadays

this is almost 2013....who forces who to do anything...

December 21, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  95. day shift/night shift

leanne is untalented her singing is awful and hopefully we will continue not to see to much of her.

December 21, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • swmell

to call her untalented is completely false. She is probably one of the most requested national anthem singers in the country. She's one of the few that can actually hit all the notes. She could have sung a little off for various reasons. Here's the media once again trying to sell .....

December 21, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • 3

we hope never to see this woman at any point.

December 21, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  96. art

lee ann was not drunk didnot sing up to her best.

December 21, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  97. SharonB

Lee Ann Rimes is getting her best justice for what she has done in her personal life. She's gone down hill and is not getting back up. She is wasted and just awful.

December 21, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  98. Devara

Blame it on the laxatives. She probably had to use the loo and couldn't focus on hitting the correct notes.

December 21, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  99. LeAnn is Trash

I can't understand why they're trying to say that her horrific performance was because of the girl. LeAnn was off key and atrocious the moment she stepped out, before the girl even started singing with her. How is that the kid's fault??? LeAnn is trying to pass the buck on this, but she was wrecked the moment she stepped on stage. Typical of her...nothing's EVER her fault, right? Trash.

December 21, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Sir... Evening Rounds

Agreed

December 21, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • BDB

Agree. Everyone has their bad days; however, I can't stand placing the blame on someone else – especially saying it was 13 year old's fault. It's time to grow up and take responsibility for one's own actions.

December 21, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Crack 2

Agreed.

December 21, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • laknight

Call it what you want to....watch the video again if you can stand to....she either hiccupped or burped not sure what the sound was ...but it sure wasn't the little girl that made the sound and the little girl wasn't stumbling all over the stage and having to hold onto LeAnn !!!!

December 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • good point

lak night. thanks

December 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  100. JellyBean

Practice, practice, practice.

December 21, 2012 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  101. Angela

All I thought was that the two of them hadn't practiced together enough. Leann wasn't' that bad, and Carly was trying to diva it up, and Leann was trying to stick with her. Leann knows about being a young star, so don't dismiss her as not knowing what is going on with a young singer. I thought Carly looked nervous and unsure the second Leann came out, and actually was not singing better, herself.

December 21, 2012 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
    • LiLa

Wouldn't you "look nervous" if you were on stage with millions of people watching while you try to sing with a drunk? With $5 million on the line?

December 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Sari

I don't know if she was drunk, but this performance is very, very bad.

December 21, 2012 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Sari

And for the record, nothing she did there was in any way helpful or attempting to be helpful to the young girl, who was, if not terrific, doing a pretty good job of holding her own at her age.

December 21, 2012 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

To me it sounded like she was trying to out do her.. I don't know whats sadder the fact that she thought she had to out do a 13yr old or the fact that she didn't accomplish it.. she ruined the performance.. it wasn't the childs fault by any means

December 21, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Night Shift

December 21, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • jesse

Totally agree with Jen, she seemed to be trying to out do the 13 year old, and she was there to back up not out perform. Plus they had rehearsal no way either get on stage on TV without rehearsing, so Leann must have felt a need to get some attention and blew it and hurt the 13 years old chances. The 13 year was singing beautifully and didn't even need help, but that's TV silliness.

December 21, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • total babies.

agreed.

December 21, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  103. Shan

Hay, Britney knows cuz she's been there! Ya know???? I need to go find that VMA video and check it out again.

December 21, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  104. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

Drunken trailer park trash trying to sing. Now that's comedy!

December 20, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  105. iamjimmyjack

its obvious that Leann Rimes awful performance hurt Carly in the finale votes. Shame on Leann for being wasted and then blaming it on a 13 year old girl who sounds better than Leann even on her worst day. What a role model...NOT!!!!

December 20, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Kim

Definitely drunk

December 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  107. your getting to sloppy and too confident...

Merry Christmas...

December 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  108. LiarIllegal

you effed up on the text this morning we scanned it and its taken care of

Get lost–Nobody wants you around anymore

December 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  109. unsaintlyhottie

im glad it wasnt just me either. HOLY CRAP Leann shame on you. how dare u blame carly for ur stupidity. i just cant stop shakin my head in disbelief, was even yellin at LR through the tv. hope she heard it lol

December 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Cass

Agree with the comments. She definitely was on something. What I caught was Carly several times looking at her rather funny like "What's going on"? She then would catch herself and smile. i found this very telling that Carly couldn't figure out what was wrong.

December 20, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  111. KRISTINA CASILLAS

WASTED!

December 20, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Beautiful☆Vixen

Okay, saw the video. ? ?? I don't get it. Sound like most county music bs which is like they are skinning a cat. I will give credit, where credit is due..maybe LeAnn kept looking at Carly's ears and wonder when Dumbo was going to start flying, or, Carly couldn't get it right with LeAnn, bc she herself was wondering when she was going to start flying around like Dumbo. From the little I can stomach of it, seems like LeAnn was okay. It was real singing, right, not lip sync? So what's the big deal?

December 20, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful☆Vixen

Country-

December 20, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Agreed, this is just a case of lack of rehearsal and two people not in sync trying to "diva" the song. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean Leann was drunk. I'm definitely no fan of Leann or even country music in general but to say she was drunk based on this video is throwing stones without reason.

December 20, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Its winding down now (2)

happy holidays to everyone

December 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful☆Vixen

Well thank you ; ) . Glad someone on here has common sense. The last I tried to walk on water,,,,, well you know what happened. I saw fish!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays ;)

December 20, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • i always walk on water even now...

but when i am done...i will be walking all over you.

December 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom callahan

I worked on this song and with Lee Ann. She sounded great...not sure what all this fuss is about?

December 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • we know the song is coordinated...

thats why we are going to play it for everyone very soon. happy holidays

December 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  113. eddiepatmac

She was definitely on something or drunk – that was my first reaction when I saw her. She sounded terrible and was trying to sing over Carly. If you watch the video the camera at one point shows Brittany and she was trying not to grimace.

December 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Alex Fox

She had a drunk hick up while she was coming down the stairs. She sounded awful. So sad for the young and talented Carly Rose.

December 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

I don't think Carly is talented at all. I do not see it. Her voice is so so and her appearance weak. She is not unique or genuine. I would vote her out if I had the chance.

December 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  115. terriisme

whew! I am glad it wasn't just me,, I like Leanne,, but I was what the heck I yelled at my husband come look at this what is up with her?? all i could think OMG is she drunk or something? Carley sang the heck out of that song,, Leanne was a mess,,,

December 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  116. TO BOB

You must not be all there to think LAR sounded and looked fine. Her face looked like one of those plastic puppet faces you see in a horror film (should have left her pretty face alone) and she was unable to sing the words of the song so a 13 year old had to do her job. Kudos to CRS for being a TRUE performer and not even flinch at the bizarreness and get through the song. LAR should be thanking her for helping her get the thing concluded and saving her from who knows what else she may have done (fallen, started talking instead of singing, saying something stupid or embarrassing herself further).

December 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Liz G

I wanted a completely unbiased opinion from a "professional". So I asked my husband to watch the video of LR performance. He was not happy that I wanted a professional opinion. He said, "She stumbled, was high on something, and a general mess." BTW he has to do this in his job.. he is a police officer.

December 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

How does your husband qualify to judge a singing performance ? he is a cop. In terms of deciding if people are under the influence....he needs breath and blood test for that.

December 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz G

Never said he judged her singing, he watched the way she walked, teetered in place and grabbed onto CRS. Pretty obvious body language. And yes, officers are trained in body language.... not just breathalyzer etc.

January 1, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Miranda

LeAnn Rimes should be ashamed for making such a comment. I haven't watched X Factor, but came across this YouTube video through the Entertainment Section via CNN's Entertainment Page. Even if LeAnn is stoned/drunk or not, it is quite obvious that she is trying to grab the spotlight for herself and not give this poor girl her moment in the sun. This is typical diva behavior. As a singer myself, I have encountered this. Not to blast all singers as many are wonderful and have no problem sharing the stage with another singer and creating some great musical magic. However, there are some who use this opportunity as a sing-off and completely forget that they are performing for the listener and not themselves.
    Carly Rose was not having difficulty with the song, she was merely backing off to not offend or step on LeAnn Rimes' toes. Britney Spears' expression while the performance was going on was very telling – she was also in disbelief at LeAnn's behavior. Rimes' response is a pathetic attempt to cover up for her abhorrent lack of professionalism.

December 20, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kali

Agreed. Well put!

December 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fargirl

I don't think it was a matter of LeeAnn trying to oversing and "steal" the limelight from Carly. If you really watch the performance you will hear that LeeAnn cannot remember the words (she relies on backup singers) and that she also relies on Carly and is hardly on pitch. Carly came in on time every time and with the correct lyrics. LeeAnn would then come in and figure out what she was supposed to be singing......very sad that she destroyed an opportunity for a young girl to sing a song with her idol. There were even several times when LeeAnn was nearly leaning on Carly. Carly handled this all as a pro at the tender age of 13. You could catch glimpses where you knew that she knew something wasn't right, but she did her job and kept on singing. Kudos to a girl who is far more mature than her "idol" ever will be.

December 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUNACHECK1234

unprofessionalism is a huge problem in this world and we intend to get that resolved.

December 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  119. brenda

i was shocked at leann's vocals – she could not even hit the notes – and carly was SO professional and picked up the slack. anyone who can cover for someone who is obviously on the downhill slide DESERVES TO WIN X-FACTOR. it also disgusts me that rimes tried to buffalo everyone by saying SHE was filling in Carly's gaps.

December 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Rose

LeAnn's performance was really painful to watch. She did a disservice to the beautiful and talented CRS.

December 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  121. jarpar

She was absolutely terrible both visually and vocally. I'm actually a fan, but she was clearly on something. What a shame for her as well as Carly Rose!

December 20, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Paolo

I saw the performance. Agreed, she was drunk, stoned or both.

December 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Beautiful☆Vixen

I didn't see it. I bet she was great and all jealous fools just want to sit back and play God.

December 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Bob

I don't know what anyone is talking about. She sounded fine, she looked fine. She's one of the best singers out there. I say people need to stop criticizing talented people for nothing.

December 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  125. valerie

she looked and sounded terrible, the duet was the worst ever

December 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  126. sandy

My hubby and I looked at each other and said "is she drunk?" We felt bad for Carly and hope it didn't ruin her chances!

December 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  127. connie

How DARE she try to blame CRS! How absolutely unprofessional! Shame on you LeAnn Rimes! The way LeAnn sounded, reminded me of Whitney when she started her downhill slide.

December 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Chuck

I thought she was drunk or stoned – she was horrible and it appeared that Carly was trying to carry LeAnn,

December 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  129. peggie Nikander

I am glad I wasn't the only one who thought she sounded like she was hammered !!! I felt so bad for Carly Rose.

December 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • we knew you (2)

were going to screw up ...thats why everything was left on....the text was the best...

merry christmas and sing great songs....

December 20, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  130. BBR5

Is this a comment or a commercial for Dish?

December 20, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Jim

Is this dish's approach to,social media engagement? Blatantly obvious?

December 21, 2012 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |