Hugh Jackman on losing fat, gaining muscle for 'Les Mis'
December 20th, 2012

Hugh Jackman on losing fat, gaining muscle for 'Les Mis'

Anne Hathaway isn’t the only “Les Misérables” star who underwent a big physical transformation for the musical.

Hugh Jackman, who plays Jean Valjean in Tom Hooper’s flick, which is due out December 25, recently told CNN how he achieved his character’s strong but svelte bod.

“I lost a lot of weight, but I was still in the gym because [Valjean is] known for his strength,” he said. “So it’s about three hours in the gym a day and eating very boring food. … I didn’t see a carbohydrate for a long period of time.”

And before the first day of filming, Jackman said he sacrificed liquids altogether.

“Don’t try this at home,” the actor warned, adding, “I had advice from the body builder, he goes, ‘Man if you really want to lose some weight and be unrecognizable,’ he goes, ‘Don’t drink for 36 hours.’ … I had a massive headache and I was very much regretting it after about 20 hours, but [I’d] just gone too far at that point.”

Like his co-star Hathaway, who told CNN that she never ruled out losing weight or cutting her hair for the role, Jackman said that “If there’s really something I wouldn’t do, I just probably wouldn’t do the role.”

Though, he added, some stunts are out of the question.

“I did do a stunt recently in ‘Wolverine’ where they said, ‘So what’s going to happen, you’re going to run along and this car is going to run into you.’ And I said, ‘OK and the car is going how fast?’ And they said, ‘Not very fast. Probably about 25 mph.’ ”

That’s where his stunt double Daniel came in, he said.

1. YOU HAND HIS WIFE 20 BUCKS A DAY

AND ALL SHE DOES IS PASS YOUR PICTURES AROUND TO EVERYONE...YOUR A LOW END BEETCH..

March 12, 2013 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. YOU HAD HIS WIFE 20 BUCKS A DAY

March 12, 2013 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. luvhughj

I love him!!!!!!!

March 12, 2013 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Fred Phred

As a man, I feel resentful that someone can have decent looks, acting ability, some comedic talent, and be able to sing.

I mean really it's not fair. No one person should have that talent. (Like Will Smith)

January 9, 2013 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. hugh

i'd like to tackle him sometime..he's beautiful

January 2, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Milagros

Human Growth Hormone.

January 2, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Babak from LA

He is a pretty good actor but I didn't like the movie .... It was all a hype.

December 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eric the Commenter

What a transformation! He's usually a complete mess.

December 31, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. 2 appleapple

Can't wait to see hugh jackman...love this guy

December 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Le Mis for 2013

wonderful move...hugh jackman is not a great actor but boy is he eye candy

the best to all

December 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. wonderful holidays to all

i truly love you all for these great times–enjoy le mis

December 23, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Olivia Green

I've never been a huge fan of these "lose weight quickly" type articles. The problem with most of the methods is that, most people end up putting the weight straight back on.

If you want to lose weight permanently, then visit: http://www.healthandfitnessdiets.com. Thanks to the great diet plans and workout routines, I'm currently in the best shape of my life and look great. Furthermore, the weight is staying off!

However, remember there are no shortcuts or magical secrets to a great body – it's simply a result of hard-work and not giving up!

December 22, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. i've seen the broadway show 3 times...

it was wonderful...have hugh jackman as the lead is fantastic and i'm sure he did a wonderful job in the role and will receive and oscar nomination.

hugh(photo above) is a family man and also has a fantastic marriage for years. i love their marriage also. he still talks to her with great fondness and doesn't fake it in terms of their relationship.

this movie is going to gross millions. love hugh and good luck!!!!!

December 22, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. CNN please call if anything further happens

I want the person who listening to my phone calls...i want the person who is in my work computer, i want the person who took the pictures, i want the person who is in my life without my approval, i want the person who is in my home computer, I want the person who is in company information, i want the person who texted their name on my phone, i want person who looks a at my bank account, i want the person who took the donna summer video, i want the person who does not mind their own business i want the person who was listening to my cousins and i talking i want who sends me cmas texts, i want the person who takes over my emails...i want the person–

December 22, 2012 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sokman

Again, this wasnt me, & I dont know any Barry. I dont think I need any help getting a bar of soap, but he does sound like the helpful sort.

December 22, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. Coward Crack 2

movie looks good

December 21, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  17. you don't know what's happening your messing up

i'm sorry but all progams...you'll have to bid farewell too them this evening.

December 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rick

Drink with me.. to days... gone by...

December 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. S¤KM@N V2.0

There are some that should try it. I am sure you could shed a few pounds...

...or a few dozen.

December 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Beautiful☆Vixen

"Don’t try this at home” Well you know there is a dumba$$ or two that will.

December 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |