'The Voice' crowns a winner
December 19th, 2012

'The Voice' crowns a winner

I can't say I was overly surprised by this season's winner of "The Voice"... but before we get to that, let's look back at how the third season's finale played out.

On Monday, the three remaining performers - Team Cee Lo's Nicholas David and Team Blake's Cassadee Pope and Terry McDermott - sang multiple times. We had new solos, reprises of past routines and duets with their coaches.

Nicholas' "Great Balls of Fire" brought us actual fire. He definitely lived up to his team's moniker here, no more so than when he performed with Cee Lo Green himself on "Play That Funky Music." Yes, that was a mini-Cee Lo dancing in the middle of all that.

And Nicholas brought back his stirring performance of "Lean on Me," which was quite good. I can't say it was Nicholas' best night of the season, but we were reminded why he came this far.

Cassadee, however, matched her best night of the season. Not only was her reprise of "Over You" possibly even better than the first time, her duet with Blake Shelton on "Steve McQueen" invited comparisons with Sheryl Crow, in a good way.

Her new performance of "Cry" was actually the weakest of the three for me, but that was still quite memorable.

It was a smart choice for Blake and Terry to bring back a twist on his rendition of "I Want to Know What Love Is," still one of my favorite moments of the season.

"Broken Wings" wasn't quite as strong, as he briefly had an issue with the lyrics. But he brought down the house with Blake (and an assist from Adam Levine, looking like Axl Rose on guitar) performing "Dude Looks Like a Lady."

So, Cassadee still had the momentum going into Tuesday night's finale, which was certainly packed with famous faces - more than any before.

There was Rihanna! Bruno Mars! Kelly Clarkson! Avril Lavigne! Smokey Robinson (I think... yeah, that's him)! And on and on. In many cases, they weren't as interesting as the three remaining artists themselves, or the pre-taped segments paying tribute to the coaches - it was, after all, a temporary farewell to Cee Lo and Christina Aguilera.

For my money, seeing Peter Frampton perform with Terry on "Baby I Love Your Way" was just mind-blowing, and easily the moment I'll take with me from the night. Peter and Terry seemed on equal footing (and by the way, I think Cassadee out-sang Avril on "I'm With You").

So, several performances and a "You get a car! You get a car!" segment later, it was down to the winner.

Nicholas placed in third, meaning that Blake could claim both first and second place. Flawless victory, Mr. Shelton, and a repeat from last season.

The winner? No shocker here, Cassadee won. She had dominated iTunes over the past few weeks, and was the most logical person to come away with a successful pop (or even crossover country) career.

And it would certainly be nice for that to happen. Has anyone heard from Javier Colon?

Congratulations, Cassadee! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Usher and Shakira change things up as coaches come March 25.

Do you think the voters made the right choice? What was your favorite performance this week? Post your video or comment below.

1. Dhow Cruise

People are growing by the time, they are getting to know about the fact that happiness is the best tool to live a perfect life.

January 30, 2013 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Reginald Clemons

The last five were great and i beleive the judges should have at least 80% of the vote america can be bias we all know that,you are not pleasing to me anymore i stop watching with the last three. I really hope they all get contracts just like Jenifer Hudson on american idiol should have won but america like i said can be biase.

January 4, 2013 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. ric822

It's like this, year one a guy wins, year two a guy wins so when year three rolls around they needed a woman to win.
    Now that being said, all the finalists were great and any of them could have won.

December 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Libby

I disliked her in Hey Monday, and I dislike her even more now. Not to mention, she already had a large fan base, so it was a bit unfair to begin with. Her voice is nothing special, and it amazes me how someone can change so quickly to sell more records.

Terry definitely should have won!

December 25, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. UT Fun.

cb dance segment in beau ppl...it will be a little crunched–we have a confirmed 1/2 day
    while they are closed.. remember beginning of song we should all bend down
    in a circle towards the audience–out with j ciao.

December 23, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

Very disappointed that Cassadee made it week after week. There was nothing spectacular about her voice. Amanda Brown and Sylvia Yacoub among others were far more talented females. My top favs surprisingly were in Nick's group that he chose to bring back. I loved Nick, Amanda, Treven and Dez. I hope the four of them get picked up by a label. I turned the tv off at the end of the finale as I knew what the outcome was going to be. Disappointing

December 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Andrea

Nicholas should have won! I know we will see much more of him.

December 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jellybean 22

Honestly, I was disappointed when Trevin was voted off and Casadee kept so you know where this is going. Casadee had nothing new – wouldn't know it was her voice over at least 50 other "girl" singers. No so with Terry, Nicholas or Trevin. I do not believe the end results should be a "personality" contest but the winner should be able to sell records. Maybe The Voice should look at a little revamping of the final couple of shows and take it out of the hands of the little girls who vote and put it into the hands of artists.

December 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mrskool

they were all worthy singers except they got the order wrong – it should have been Cassie at the bottom, then Nicholas, and Terry should have come out on top.

This show has had 3 women winners in a row because the voters are all girly wannabe's. They should not leave the vote up to the public. I dont think the judges would have voted this way because although Casadee is a lovely girl , she is just another in a long line of country girl singers – and there are way too many of them already !

December 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • diane

um..you are wrong..season one and season two were both men winning..this is the first woman...if you are going to be gender insulting..at least get your information right..or..at least...read the article...it is mentioned in there..geesh

December 28, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. fongkeko

i knew cassadee pope will win... she gives mje goose bumps everything she sings... that song "over you" is definitely the best song she ever sung... terry was good too but cassadee is just better... you can feel all her emotion when she sings...

December 20, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sgt Baker

nothing to report

December 20, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. S¤KM@N V2.0

I only saw parts of a couple episodes, but I thought the girl with the two-colored hair was great. She had a sound different from anyone else I saw on there, and had a classic pinup girl look with a new age twist.

December 20, 2012 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. Laura

Terry should have won, and Nicholas second. Very disappointed by the results. i think we picked looks over talent. Lots of wonderful talent this season. Good luck to all the artists.

December 20, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. Anita H.

I did'nt think she should have won. she was'nt good. to many better singers. she wan't go far as far as a career in music.

December 19, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jimmy Lee

Show should change it's name to the Vote, instead of the Voice

December 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Vicki

I was disappointed when I heard Cassadee announced as the winner of The Voice. To me, she was just another wailing female voice. I certainly wouldn't pay for any of her albums or download any of her singles off the web. My choice was Nicholas David. He had me in his spell the minute I heard him sing "You're my First, My Last, My Everything." In fact, I downloaded that song and play it every day. I only hope that someone out there in the recording industry snags up Nicholas and hands him a recording contract because I want to hear more from him and his awesome voice. I hope he remembers that on "American Idol" some of those who came in second and third became bigger successes commercially than the winners. Get an agent, Nicholas! You have an audience waiting.

December 19, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. LoSaint

The best part of the night for me had to be the commercial for season 4. How hysterical was Adam, Blake, Usher and Shakira belting out Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" in that old beat up truck?

December 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. HuPhartNgau

Bless you Nick. You are indeed the third best singer in this group. But I'll buy your records – maybe before the other two.

December 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. R. Ross

The best voice,the most professional performance's throught the show and most worthy of a major record deal was Terry. A professional all the way......Nicholas was the best sentimental favorite.....Cassadee, in the long run simply did not stand out to me as a true professional.Many times throughout the shows run, she was notably off key. But she created the most buzz. Attractive? yes. Good stage presence? yes. Full of energy? yes. With some work she will be a true professional and make a lot of money.

December 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Charlie

Right choice, but a difficult one. Cass had the whole package from voice, to class to dress, beauty et al! A true all around
    entertainer that will bring joy to the world through her talent.

December 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Liz

I thought she was off key a little in every performance...not my choice or anyone who's music I would buy; Nicholas David has the most amazing voice of the bunch of them and I am dissappointed the voters chose looks over talent....

December 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mark

The voters got it right and Casssidy in my view is the winner. However Nicholas David should be #2. With Terry McDermott as the 3rd place winner.
    Nicholas is an all around perfromer/musician with "real talent"!!! We will be nearing from him soon. Congratualtions to "The Voice" producers for an AWESOME season!

December 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. nick

What a waste ! Rather than focus on true talent that is a benefit to all, this is what USA gets ?

December 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sudban

Completely agree!
      A mediocre talent wins above real talents – packaging works!

December 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • KDMVancouver

Have to agree. I love The Voice but leaving the vote up to America drives me nuts! Knowing that she was gone – I was still cheering for Amanda Brown each time she was on stage last night, but of the three who made the final – Terry should have taken home the prize!

December 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Terrence O'Shaley

The Voice winner also has The Bod.

Strange for a show that turns its back to looks...

December 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. HEY MCSPAMFACE

Keep your Bible verses to yourself. Stop spamming. No one cares.

December 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. VegasRox

You forgot to mention The Killers performance of "Here With Me" in which Casadee sang as well. I liked that better than Frampton's song. Anyway, I think the right person won this year. Plus, Christina seemed to behave herself more than she did last season.

December 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry Hanks

The Killers performance was also a standout thanks for mentioning!

December 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Katie

I really liked everyone in the top ~5 or so, so I was guaranteed to be happy with the winner. I still maintain that I would buy Terry's or Amanda's album no matter what, but probably not Cassadee's – her stuff is better for just screaming along to in the car if it happens to come on the radio. I have mad respect for Trevin and Nicholas, very talented soulful singers, but not my typical kind of purchase either.

December 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

nicely said. pope may be the most commercial but it was awfully vanilla. amanda brought some sass and full power voice.

December 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Noreen Murphy

This year's group on the Voice was very talented. In the end, I was rooting for Casadee to win so I
    was happy with the outcome. I see her having a successful career like Kelly and Carrie. She is very
    pretty, super talented and likable. Go Casadee!

December 19, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |