TLC's new reality special: 'Best Funeral Ever'
December 14th, 2012

TLC's new reality special: 'Best Funeral Ever'

If the idea of having the "Best Funeral Ever" never occurred to you, allow TLC to educate.

The same network behind reality shows like "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" and "Extreme Couponing" will soon air an hour-long special on the Dallas-based Golden Gate Funeral Home, which offers "home-going celebrations" rather than a more traditional memorial service.

The idea is to craft a funeral service that incorporates the deceased person's job, passions or interests. If you really enjoyed the holidays, your funeral could be Christmas-themed with elves, snow and reindeer, like one of the services that will be featured during TLC's special.

As Golden Gate's John Beckwith Jr. explained in a statement, “A home-going is much different than a funeral, it’s a celebration. The Golden Gate experience is our version of the traditional African-American home-going celebration. We do not produce generic funerals; everybody’s experience has to be different.”

In addition to the holiday-inspired funeral service, the "Best Funeral Ever" special will highlight the home-going of a former doo-wop singer whose rib sauce jingle is the starting point for a BBQ-themed memorial, as well as a service held at a State Fair.

"Best Funeral Ever" will air on December 26 at 8 p.m. ET.

Filed under: television

1. mdlisives

I bought a cupon yesterday and I am very happy. The guys are doing a really great job.

July 29, 2014 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. funerow

Chilling!

December 17, 2012 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mark

This looks like an interesting show and I will definitely want to see how people handle their home-going celebrations. This concept reminds me of a New Orleans jazz funerals where it’s more of a celebration than gloomy affair. This is a good time for me to watch specials since a lot of my shows are on midseason hiatus. I’ll be sure to set a timer for it on my DISH Hopper in case I’m not home to see it. The 2,000 hours of recording time on my DVR lets me record and save quirky shows, and then talk about them with my DISH coworkers. It’ll be interesting to know what some people would want as a proper send-off that would match their personalities.

December 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lmao

adding someone within the body of an email message without actually cc'ing that person's address, usually as a way...

December 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Huh?

@Jennifer – How do you expect people to attend something without solid proof? This is not making sense. What's cc's real name? If he's really dead, surely it can't hurt to mention it here, right? Sorry to say, I don't believe this one bit.

December 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ha!

This is a giant hoax. Peace & her sister know cc. They have been keeping all us updated to what they know. They called that funeral home, and said they never heard of him. The dude's been jerking our chain. I'll bet old Jennifer is cc himself. Pretty lousy thing to do, man.

December 14, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful☆Vixen

I think the person who started it was CC. Don't you think it's funny how they started posting and the following day this started about how CC was shot? Then we found out that he and the ladies are not on speaking terms. The ladies themselves (well MoonDance) said that CC lied to them about a lot of things. Yes, I agree with you, this is a lousy thing to do. I wonder if Mad is in on it too. The dumbazz had these ladies wasting their time calling, etc to find information out on his so call shooting death. A real friend wouldn't do that. I always said he was unstabled.

December 15, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Ha!

I agree with you. I think this is just a sick joke he's playing trying to get back at them, not to mention anyone who knew him before on the blog. He was always kind of psycho anyway, but this is a whole new low. What about that Fix chick? Is she part of the hoax, or was she being scammed, too? She did a lot of feeding of the so-called facts. Whatever. Truth is out there now. CC can keep talking about his funeral all he wants. Nobody cares now that we know the truth.

December 15, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful☆Vixen

I don't know if Fix was the real Fix. Who knows. He is sick enough to may have had one of his friends to call her and pretend to be the lawer or what have you. I was confused by what she (if it was her) saying. I don't think Peace or Moondancer would pull a stunt like this on us. They don't seem the type. I had a feeling it was him right away. It was too weird. That was always CC thou. Always wanted to be the center of attention regardless good or bad. I'm shocked thou that he met them, became friends with them and continued the lies. That would have been an awful thing if they met him and he hurt (or worse) something to them and their familes. Look at the madman that shot all those kids and people today at the school. The kids were from five of age to ten. This CC needs help. I guess he will be trolling me now for speaking my mind, but he was the one that was doing so this whole time, I guess. Good night and enjoy your weekend.

December 15, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Ha!

I don't think Peace or her sister had anything to do with this. They seemed genuinely concerned about him. Thankfully for us, they dug up the truth. Case closed. You are right about Fix. He could have trolled her on the blog, but moondancer was getting some info from her. She must have been one of those that went off blog with the rest of them. Who was feeding Fix the info, or was she part of the plot? Makes you wonder, huh? Have a good weekend, too, Vixen.

December 15, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. NONO

he was cool...i can't see him in with brit's stupidity

December 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lmfao

Ok. I'll attend with bells on. Charlie or mad rapper is on this crazy game they're playing with people. Lol

December 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cassy

I like this. We treat death as such a horrible thing (and it can be very painful btw) that we lose sight that its a natural occurence in our world.

December 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jennifer

I hope poor Charlie Crack's send off will be this memorable. After contacting the funeral home I found the service is actually going to be at 2:00 pm Sunday afternoon (not Saturday). I and my husband plan to attend. We hope others from the blogs will also be in attendance. He thought a great deal of you guys. Best Wishes Always.

December 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |