Brooke Burke-Charvet on the rebound after surgery
December 13th, 2012

Brooke Burke-Charvet on the rebound after surgery

It's been a little over a month since Brooke Burke-Charvet revealed that she had thyroid cancer, and the "Dancing With the Stars" host is happy to report that her recent thyroidectomy was a success.

On Wednesday, Burke-Charvet blogged seven days post-surgery, test results show "the thyroid cancer has been removed from my body and all my lymph nodes are clear. So hopefully this is the end of the story!"

Although she's still sore, recovery has been easier than she anticipated and each day that passes seems to be an improvement. While she's not used to the downtime it has allowed room in her schedule for things she doesn't ordinarily do, like watch TV (she's almost made it through a season of the award-winning "Homeland").

"Every day I'm feeling better, and I'm looking forward to getting back to my usual routine, but with a bit of a different outlook," Burke-Charvet said. "I've never been one to take life for granted and it sounds so cliché to say it, but this whole thyroid experience has given my family such a scare that it seems to have brought us all closer. And it's allowing us to ring in the New Year with a newfound respect for life."

Filed under: Celebrities • Dancing With The Stars • television

« Previous entry
  1. Cautiously Optimistic

After surgery you can't say you are cancer free- I know I am dealing with 3 at the moment. I asked my oncologist and she said I could say 'in remission" and after 5 years I could use the phrase "cancer free". I wish this for all afflicted with this horrible disease.

December 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. i'm aware of cancer --

my cousin is 45 years old 3 children and has ovarian cancer...she is in remission and doing well however..
    the problem is there.

December 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ANY CANCER IS A BIG DEAL

Thyroid cancer does kill. My dad died from thyroid cancer that metasticized (mets) to his lungs. It is the mets that kill. To say any form of cancer is "no big deal" is to minimize its impact and negate the emotional and physical suffering that anyone with any cancer at any stage likely goes through. Right now I am awaiting confirmation that I have another form of cancer. In addition there is a nodule on my lung that is being followed for possible mets. And I do have some people in my life very concerned and some saying "Its no big deal, you'll be fine.".I think the ones who negate it do so out of their own fears and anxieties regarding cancer. What you find out when you are faced with cancer is how incredibly widespread it is. That is the scariest thing to me.

December 15, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cancer is almost gone.

radiation will clear her it up....

December 15, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. karen

I had thyroid cancer last year and was fortunate to be able to have it surgically removed. I was able to keep 1/3 of my thyroid. It is scary to go through, but once it is over, you realize how blessed you are. I feel for you and hope you continue to heal and enjoy good health. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

December 15, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Rational Thoughts

If you were "blessed" you wouldn't have been cursed with something like that to begin with.

December 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • don't say that rational thoughts

be positive....be happy your living

December 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. We are not sure what button was pushed

to instigate this awful cancer...but i will assure you its almost done.

December 14, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lon Jaffe

When I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 11 years ago, a doctor told me if one is to get cancer, this is the kind to get. The follow-up treatment is to ingest radioactive iodine which fries the remaining stray thyroid cells and ignores the rest of the body. Compared to either chemo or conventional radiation, the side effects are negligible.

December 14, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. We are close to a cure to this disgusting

illness. we will conquer where it comes from. happy holidays my darling - our prayers will always be with you.

December 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cancer

is garbage and we must fight the garbage forever.

December 14, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Happy Holidays

the cancer is leaving her body and will go because she is strong willed and nothing will stop her

what caused this cancer? we don't know but it will go.

December 14, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Have a fantastic holiday

Be happy your alive and move forward in life and get the cancer in control once and for all. you are blessed most are not. you are blessed and are a powerful person.

December 14, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. This woman will never stop

she will get the cancer and move on from it.

December 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Merry Christmas

we hope you never have to deal with cancer again. god bless you.

December 14, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chemo will kills the cancer...

she is a very intelligent person and knows what has to be done to stop the cancer...i love her and i wish her all the best.

December 14, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. The radiation will get rid of the cancer...

i know many people who have had cancer and radiation is the only way to get rid of it....she is a lovely girl and did not
    deserve this disgusting cancer.

December 14, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. I agree

nobody deserves Cancer...the Cancer has to go

December 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Cancer us filth

and we must treat it and get rid it because it is not fair that anyone should be stuck with this disease...

December 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Cancer pertaining to

to any innocent person must be destroyed asap.

December 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. margaret

we care-the poor dear needs to get rid of the filthy cancer.

December 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Barb

Who cares!!!!

December 14, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. I can assure the cancer

is going....she's going to be fine.

December 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cow 22's

all to be analyzed

December 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. all p sites

run a check to see if their is cancer there

December 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • saul

What do I know? I had it and my Dr said same thing as someone posted. Its the cancer you want to get. You ppl and the entertainment world need to stop idolizing these ppl and putting them on a pedestal! Its always isolated and rarely spreads unless you dx with the worst that's only 2% chance to get. Get off of it and quit making these ppl into gods to 'omg this is so horrible for her...' Millions get and die from cancer-alot worse than this. Move on and get off it!

December 15, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  23. Kaesie

What do u know saul.? Any cancer is a scary thing. Blessings to Brooke and her family.Happy healthy New Year to ALL.

December 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  24. saul

Omg its thyroiditis-not deadly cancer of any sort of mortality rate. 3 out of 4 types have 100% survival rate. The other is so rare its not likely she got that. Remove it and iodine tx in hospital for a wk. Free room service and watching TV. So tragic. Get off of it ppl!

December 14, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

"3 out of 4 types have 100% survival rate. The other is so rare its not likely she got that."

Hey simpleton, how is 25% considered 'so rare'?

December 15, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. We will see you soon dear

God Bless.

December 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Say it ain't so

I'm so happy you've made it thru so far, here's to many, many years of joy & happiness. Be well & take advantage of this new lease on life you've been given. God bless you brooke, take care.

December 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Azhane69

I like her. She's always smiling when I see her on TV. I wish her a speedy recovery and many more great times with her family for the New year 2013. It's very sad to realize that a tragedy or something drastic or serious has to oocur in someone's life to bring them closer to the ones they love. Wow.

December 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bobby G.

Poor Richard, being a D!CK.

December 14, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  29. Merry Christmas

to all. May happiness and blessings be yours always. Merry Christmas to all and to all happy sweet dreams.

December 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |